Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated 9 Feb 2018

3.6

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Interview

The Interview process was fairly easy and was not too strenuous. Emailed back and forth with the HR person for a little bit in order to schedule a time. Interview was not that difficult. Had a decent experience.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

phone interview. Called on time. Asked a question. I didn't answer well. They seemed really care about coding efficiency. They tend to test you on recursions because they use functional programming, but you definitely do not need to know any functional programming. They won't run the code. They will ask for time complexity of the code, so be prepared on that.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

One puzzle followed by "do you have any questions". I did not see the puzzle online before. The interviewer seemed to be nice, but I was too nervous to answer well.

Interview Questions

• One hundred doors, one dollar after each door. Roll a one-hundred dice for one hundred times. You can take the dollar after the door whose number is rolled out. What's the expectation? Why?   4 Answers

Quant Researcher Interview

Interview

Phone interview calling from a current employee. The interviewer is pretty nice and kept giving hints along the process to guide me to solve the problem. The overall experience is good. Told me that their HR will contact me afterwards at the end of the whole interview. It took about one hour.

Interview Questions

• 100 doors with $1 behind each door. Roll a 100-sided die 100 times and get the money behind the doors with the numbers you roll with the die. How much in expectation do you get?   2 Answers

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

There were three rounds of phone interviews, each one longer than the last; mine went from 20 minutes to 45 minutes to 60 minutes. After this, I was invited to their office for a final round of interviews. There were three interviews of one hour each, along with lunch with one of their traders and a tour of the office.

For the on-site interviews, they give you a stack of poker chips, then present you with games of chance (of various complexity) and ask you to place bets on the outcomes. Then they actually roll the dice, deal cards, etc. and pay you if you win.

I should note that they were upfront about their reticence to hire people that hadn't already had internships with them. True to form, they didn't hire me.

Interview Questions

• Specific interview questions are confidential; I will only note that they were probability problems and some basic game theory. No fancy math, though some problems did require a trick as the straightforward approach would take way too long.   Answer Question

Quantitate Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I was called on the phone and the interview was conducted by a current employee. They asked me technical questions and then I did my best to answer. The interviewer was very patient, and gave help. He had a lot more to do but I took a while so it was cut short.

Interview Questions

• Given two integers a,b and a/b is in some interval (forgot what interval they gave) give all possible values of b   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Similar to most recruiting. technical round, phone screen, 1-2 rounds on phone. The recruiter was very friendly and awesome! Very difficult interview however. It consisted of both personal and technical, and was very thorough and integrated.

Interview Questions

• posed very interesting estimation questions and very intriguing concepts. The role was similar to a PM interview so very insightful for me and great learning opportunity. Personal screening as well was in this round.   Answer Question

HR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

So I emailed them about a job and they so happily emailed me back no feedback, just telling me I can't. They don't seem to let you know why you don't get the job or even a possible interview. They just rejected me.

FPGA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

I sent in my resume for the FPGA Engineer position. The next week, to my surprise, I received a rejection with the vaguest feedback of "your skills and background do not match." It lit my curiosity as I have about a decade of experience with FPGA design and verification and embedded software. I reached back to ask for a more descriptive reason. They refused. Life goes on, I guess. Their FPGA Engineer job post is very vague and technically off too. Seems as it is a bait and mining post to collect resumés.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Champaign, IL (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Jane Street has starting doing an online challenge through hackerrank to help with hiring interns. It consisted of a 30-minute, 4 question quiz. The quiz questions were all probability type.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.