Jane Street Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 Jun 2018
1,000 Interview Reviews

3.6

Quantitative Trader Interview

Application

I interviewed at Jane Street in June 2018.

Interview

Very friendly interviewer. Very nerve wracking interview. Doesn't help when your father decides to have a loud phone conversation directly behind you during the interview. Extremely distracting.

Interview Questions

• Decompose 300,000 into prime factors, then arrange the resulting digits into the smallest possible number.   1 Answer
    • a) The odds of having pizza on a Saturday are 60%, on Sunday, 30%. What are the odds of having pizza at least once during the weekend?

b) How do the odds change if you are only allowed pizza on one of the two days?

c) What about if you can only have pizza on Sunday if you had it on Saturday first?   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in June 2018.

Interview

I applied online through a their website. A day later, I got an email asking me if I was interested in applying for the Trading Desk Operations role, and if I was then they would send me a set of exercises. The exercises were based in Excel formulas and calculating haircuts and came with documents explaining the problems and PDFs to be used when answering. They asked me to send them back in 2-3 days. I had never calculated haircuts before, so I wasn't really surprised when I got an email a few days later stating I would not be moving on in the process. Still, each email was prompt and positive, so it was a good experience either way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied other position but got interview for this position. The first step is solving some calculation problems. The only ask me to solve that in excel. But I think it's better to do more than they expected. So I solved that by using VBA. I got the next step which is phone interview.

Infrastructure Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

Completed a worksheet. Then had a phone interview. Then went onsite for several interviews.
    Phone interview and email correspondence were great. The onsite visit was disorganized. There were complications with the travel and lodging arrangements they'd made for me which caused quite a bit of stress. Once I arrived at the location the onsite continued to be a bit disorganized, though not horribly so.

Interview Questions

• For the worksheet they gave me a packet with information on stocks and I had to summarize it and apply the information to hypothetical situations.   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online through Handshake
    First round is several excel exercises including vlookup and some calculations. Quite easy
    Second round is a phone interview around 15 minutes and will ask 2 brainstorm questions.

Interview Questions

• The first is the bus question and second is the angle between 9:15 on the clock.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I was offered on email to move forward with my application. What happened is that I applied for one position but I was suggested to apply for another, which was also great position to start with. I soon received an email for initial screening for work authorization.

Interview Questions

• Will you now or in the future require sponsorship to work at Jane Street?   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied through the university and got an email with data tests. Excel files and 3 pdf explanations. It is pretty tough to understand the logic. The calculation on Excel is not difficult and you are supposed to know VLOOKUP etc. The challenge is to understand the question.

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, and was contacted a few days later to interview for the Trading Desk Operations position. I was asked a time and date when they could send some excel exercises, to be completed in 2-3 days. I sent them back within 3 days, and got a rejection e-mail shortly after. Exercises were not necessarily hard, but tedious and very finance-involved in terms of context, while the context needed is provided through pdf files and explanations.

Interview Questions

• Excel files on haircuts and one sheet on excel functions, lookup, etc.   Answer Question

Trading Desk Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

The first stage is the Excel test. They want to test both your Excel skills and your ability to comprehend a financial concept they introduce to you for the purpose of the test. If you do well on both ends, you move on to the second round.

Interview Questions

• Calculate transaction fees for a certain set of financial instruments.   1 Answer

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

First round some basic Excel functions like vlookup; Second round all about mental maths and probability, most of which were tricky problem so try bet on 50% if you fail to figure it out.

Interview Questions

• Chance of getting a odd number of heads in 12 flips.   1 Answer
    • 3 times of weighing to find the fake ball out in 12 identical-looking balls (don't know the fake is lighter or heavier)   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.