Joy Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 May 2018

2.2

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Joy (London, England).

Interview

Thankfully, I never accepted this job. The interview was an absolute joke.

When I arrived, the owner proceeded to take me upstairs into his office grabbing a member of staff on the way up. When we go into his office, he proceeded to shout at said member of staff right in front of me - leaving me feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

The first thing that was said to me was a derogatory comment about the way I look. Then after asking where I'm from, a VERY racist comment was made. Looking back, I should have just left then. It only got worse. From telling me that due to my main goal not being wanting to get rich, I wasn't of the right mindset, to making very far-fetched, incorrect and offensive judgements about myself and my family.

Awful interview, awful comments, awful atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me all about your family   1 Answer

Allocator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Joy.

Interview

Very simple and easy interview, I felt like I asked more questions that the interviewer. The interviewer explained the role(after I had asked) she explained the day to day duties and a little about the company. I felt I had to ask questions as she didn't really ask me anything! I was told I would hear back by the following Monday however did not get a call. I sent a following up email to thank them for inviting me to come in and if they had an outcome or any feedback if I was unsuccessful, however I did not receive a response. VERY rude and unprofessional! Do not say you are going to contact candidates if you have no intention of doing so.

Head Office Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Joy.

Interview

-Interview process was fine for me
    -Location was at head office
    -face to face
    -No pressure
    -Lasted no more than 30 minutes

I had no problems with my interview, it was one of the best interviews I have had.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Joy.

Interview

Met with the lady who looks after HR and ops, discussed a bit about myself and why I was looking to leave my current role. She really detailed the requirements of the role, who I would be working with and what my day would look like... sounded like fun as I could get involved with lots of different things I couldn't in other companies

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clapham, London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Joy (Clapham, London, England) in March 2014.

Interview

The HR manager interviewed me and asked very little on my experience or competency. J pretty much had the job after 5 mins based on my looks. They slagged off other managers during my interview and I was not impressed. How is that good for a first impression?

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kennington, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Joy (Kennington, England).

Interview

6 hours in total.
    The CEO interviews you first and second time and not your department manager.
    This is a warning sign, that he a) very controlling and you will be confused by being managed by 2 managers due to his disruptive nature
    He will haggle down your salary, he doesn't pay competitively,
    Due to very high staff turnover he in general, interviews people for immediate staff, some allowances for high level management.
    He offers you the job after a long informal interview, that goes off at a tangent. He asks you personal questions, do not say much.

Interview Questions

• There isnt interview questions, if is a chat dominated by him talking more. He doesn't do structure   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Joy (London, England) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn in the afternoon, after few enquiries on email got an invitation for interview the the next morning.
    Informal - Too many irrelevant personal questions, very self opinionated, he answered a call from his wife during the interview & I could hear the entire conversation - very embarrassing & unprofessional. He changed the experience requirement from the job spec and was put on spot . Yes or no do you have this skill, when clearly my CV had no indication of this & despite this got an email the following week to attend for second round interview. Which I declined as it was a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• If I have domestic help back home ? You must have otherwise why would you settle there !   Answer Question
    • If I owned my property, was with a hubby ! How long have I had my property !?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Joy (London, England) in April 2015.

Interview

It was not an interview. Since the moment the CEO walked me to his office and for the next hour it was an attack on my country and its political and financial situation. He told me to stop thinking as citizen of my country ,which is a burden to Europe and should leave the European Union and Euro, and think as a citizen of the world. That amongst other issues, which I addressed by saying I am not a financial analyst nor do I care abt politics. After an hour spent on all that, he spent the last 15 mins saying that, altough I was very experienced ,I was not what he was looking for, to which I replied that everything was clearly stated in my CV. Finally, he said that,if I wanted ,I could go back with a proposal for him to consider. In all my years as a professional (20), I have never been interviewed by a more discriminating person , the whole process being lost time and me asking what the reason was for asking me on an interview at the end of it all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Joy (London, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Shocking. The interviewer spent at least an hour trying to psycho-analyse me and extract any information about my previous employers business plan as he could. I was insulted and told I was 'silly' within the first half an hour. The first interview lasted 2.5 hours, which included meeting the head of wholesale (who is new, seems like a lovely woman but already clearly stressed by the pressures of the company and the mess it's in) and one of the menswear designers (also very nice).
    I was grilled by the CEO about many off topic matters and made to feel quite uncomfortable at times.
    Salary was not discussed but he said I should go away for a day or two to consider the role and perpare to negotiate (he then offered to take me for a drink, which I declined), I left the interview feeling very uncomfortable but positive they would offer me the job.

I went home, read up on the company and saw a stream of extremely negative reviews on Glassdoor so I went to the 2nd interview feeling very wary.

2nd interview I waited for half an hour to be seen, with no offer of a drink of water or anything. Everyone in reception seemed very grumpy and unsociable. I was met by the interviewer's wife, who I assume also helps design the collection, to be 'vetted'. She was in fact very nice.

I then met with him again to negotiate. Or that's what I thought anyway. He proceeded to offer me less than my current salary (£25k), on the basis that he would give me bonuses 'under the table' so he wouldn't have to pay as much tax. When I questioned the morals and legality of this, he laughed at me and said I was being very naive if I thought to question it. Proceeded to tell me that he had paid for a previous employee's honeymoon which had cost £9000, but of course he would not be able to promise anything like this in writing. After another 2.5 hours I left, explaining that I was not willing to discuss any further unless I could have a written offer.

All in all, they want to get as much out of you for as little ££ as possible. They will promise bonuses or cash advances or whatever but I think it's all a massive con - unless they can put it in writing, DO NOT accept these bribes. He refused to even send me a job offer by email stating the basic outline such as hours, holiday entitlement etc.

I was asked by his incredibly rude PA to return for a third chat, but I did not respond. I was then left with 2 missed calls, a voicemail and a text message by the interviewer. I have not responded as I have no desire to waste any more time with this sham of a business.

PS. be prepared to almost argue, he is an incredibly aggressive man and will disagree with you about everything in order to get a reaction. It's weird...

Interview Questions

• How much do I know about what is happening in Greece right now?   Answer Question
    • Why did you leave your previous job?   Answer Question
    • What was your previous salary? (do not answer this truthfully as they will never offer more, they will offer less!)   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Interview

The most unprofessional interview I've ever done. CEO is making people feel uneasy - candidates and his assistants - he asked too many questions related to privacy. Sexist comments. No background check, no questions about work experience. He seems to be a know-it-all so you can't say anything he's always right.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.