King's College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

King's College London Interview Questions

Updated 30 Nov 2017

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England).

Interview

the interview included a panel of 3 including competency based questions, a presentation on a pre specified title and a simple assessment where I was asked to look at data coding

Interview Questions

• One question involved talking about my favourite or most used analytical method   1 Answer

IT Data Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Interview

I was shortlisted for a face to face interview. The panel comprised of the manager of data solutions and two other individuals, with a number of questions asked in turn. My performance was acceptable albeit could've been above par with more preparation. I don't recall the answers being written which would've been ideal, thereby avoiding possible memory lapses. Some of the manager's prepared questions were unrelated to the post, which could've been replaced with more pertinent ones.

Another candidate and I landed the two vacancies but upon his resignation, I was stunned the manager was very nonchalant and unmoved when discovering he lied in his application on essential job criteria to secure the post! No concern was expressed on how he, with limited managerial experience, let this materialise and ways of preventing this as I cognised his facetiousness and naivety.

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

KCL application form with statement. The interview and test lasted 1 hour - 30 mins to write an email response to a prospective student and decide whether 3 different candidates should be admitted or not. Then a panel interview (with 3 interviewers) which lasted around 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were given a large amount of boring tasks to complete?   Answer Question

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

The panel consisted of three interviewers and was a short interview. I was just asked common interview questions such as tell me about yourself etc etc. They then took me on a tour around the labs and that was it.

Prospect Research Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the KCL careers website and received an invite to interview approximately a week later. The interview process consisted of a written test and a panel interview with 3 members of the fundraising team at King's.

Interview Questions

• What research tools have you used to carry out prospect research?   Answer Question
    • How would you build rapport with a major gift fundraiser?   Answer Question

Programmes Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England).

Interview

I had a test first on Excel and then a writing task which asked you to prioritise in what order you would attend to tasks. The interview went well, I felt, and the panel was very nice and approachable. The negative aspect of this process is that it took 11 days for them to get back to me to say I had not been chosen and I'm sure they could have let me know that sooner. It was a very difficult 11 days and a disappointing outcome for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you faced a challenge.
      How do you prioritise tasks?
      How would your skills help you to do this job well?   1 Answer

Online Teaching Fellow In Public Health (Online Masters Degree) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied in mid July 2017 and about a week after the job deadline had expired, I received an email inviting me for an interview. The email containing the interview invite itself stated just one date and time and did not give me any option to choose another date. This was an early sign that the interviewing process for this job was quite extreme. I remember noting, when I was filling out an application for this job, that there was no interview date listed which is unusual for an academic job spec. I was lucky that I could make the date and time as I work for most of the year unlike full time academics who have the summer off.

The interview itself was short (only 30 minutes and no presentation) but quite intense and it involved a panel interview with 2 Professors and 1 Lecturer. At points, I was asked some good questions but overall, it was quite a patronising and insulting interview:

At one point, one of the three interviewers asked me if I have a teaching philosophy (and she implied that I might not have been teaching long enough to have one). I may look young (I take care of my health unlike a lot of academics ) but I have been teaching for 10 years and I have more teaching experience than most academics at the Lecturer and Senior Lecturer levels.

It was also clear that one of them did not read my CV prior to the interview and she asked me if I had a teaching qualification: I replied that I was a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and she then asked, again in a patronising way, did that involve handing in a few assignments? And I replied saying that yes it did including some assignments that involved reflecting on how to design assignments as well as how to include different learning styles.

At one point, one of the panellists shouted at me because I had not answered the question in a way which she thought adequate and that really was the nadir of the whole process. Overall, they came off as quite vicious and very top down which is not unusual in academic interviews but there was a real lack of integrity and lack of professionalism.

After the interview itself, there was no communication from the HR team. I enquired a week after my interview asking for feedback on the interview as I presumed I had been unsuccessful. I received a reply saying that shortlisting had not been completed which was contrary to what I was told at the end of my interview.

I then sent the HR team another email 3 weeks later asking for feedback and I received a reply saying that they had decided not to take my application any further and to contact the Lecturer I was interviewed by if I had further questions. Upon looking at their website, it looks like this person was leaving King's at the end of August so it looks like there has been restructuring since my interview. Again, none of this was communicated to me and though I am experienced enough to have interviewed for other roles in the meantime, and I have accepted another job, the whole interview experience was poor and unprofessional.

I think any younger academics with good social and professional skills should steer clear of King's as it's a dog eat dog, and unappreciative, place. I also think a lot of people are stuck here and they clearly do not care about people's professional development or career development.

Interview Questions

• If offered the job, would you take it?   1 Answer
    • What particular issues, do you think, need to be considered when teaching primarily online?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at King's?   Answer Question

Personal Assistant and Academic Services Centre Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

I was interviewed for this post last year at one of their campuses. At the close of the interview, I queried when feedback would be issued whereupon I was apprised this would happen within a week or so. However, I was upset when I received ONLY the outcome TWO MONTHS post the interview! On multiple attempts, I sought feedback on test and interview performance, but was stunned that they snubbed me! The manner wherewith they ended the recruitment procedure was indisputably unbecoming and inept, making me feel I wasn't worth responding to, which is despicable. They would probably refrain hiring someone who they knew did this, underscoring their patent incongruity in standards. They must stop this otherwise they risk discouraging failed applicants from future roles and joining their competitors in this climate.

Data and Projects Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

The interview itself was not very tough, albeit the overall experience was most certainly unpleasant. This review will crystallise why. During the interview, it was stated by the head of the panel that feedback would be given on the test and justifying the recruitment decision, and this would follow within a week. However, nearly three weeks elapsed before I received any feedback. Such feedback was vague, incomprehensive and incomplete as various questions were unanswered. They did not comment on my test results, interview strengths and weaknesses plus improvement areas despite requesting this. But it gets worse, as the one in charge of information and projects reduced herself to continuously ignoring a specific matter even after a colleague promised this would be dealt with! I had to wait FOUR MONTHS before action was finally taken, far longer than anyone expected. Failure to observe their own timescales is a flagrant violation and inconsistency of their desire to recruit the highly organised.

From this experience and other recruitment processes at King's, it is evident they are completely disorganised plus undervalue and lack civility to candidates, thereby flouting their "inclusiveness" mantra. I wouldn't get involved with them again.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London in April 2017.

Interview

Received interview within 2 days. Interview was a week later. Interview included 30mins technical task (in my case MATLAB script writing) and 30mins panel interview. Interview was relatively standard. I was asked a range of questions from general interview questions (Why KCL, why this department...) to more technical (statistics...).

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.