Pets at Home Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Pets at Home

2.6

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Macclesfield, England) in March 2020.

Interview

It started off badly. I arrived 10 minutes early like most interviews and I asked a store colleague where I should be directed to. The colleague had asked me to wait at the front of the store and one of the managers/leaders will come and collect me. After 15 minutes no one had arrived and at this point the interview was now late. I waited patiently as I was hoping that there would be some reason for this, but no. I was finally collected by one of the managers and she was very rude. She did not introduce herself to me or apologise for being late, and she was overall very negative. I followed her into the staff room where I was awkwardly ignored by another colleague. I was told to place my important documents e.g. passport etc into a random room in the back and then head back out the shop floor. I did not feel comfortable leaving these i teams in an unlocked room/managers room. The manager then told me nothing about when the interview will start etc.

The shop floor experience was very uncomfortable. I was treated as if I was just there to work and not to be interviewed. I was also expected to know where all the stock was to be placed. After probably an hour, I was finally sent into the back to have the handling experience of the small animals. It was very simple but to me felt strange, as the colleague who supervised me had no care, affection or interest in the animals. They really was just a product to her, not a pet. After walking around a very messy staff room, I was then sent on tills. The colleague on the tills was very kind and was the only one who introduced herself to me. This experience was okay but by this point I was ready to just head out, as the overall experience made me not want the job. I couldn't believe I was feeling this way before the actual interview itself!

The face to face interview was nice and relaxed and I felt it was one of the best I had in many weeks. I think this was due to me not wanting the job at this point, so I was no longer felt nervous or tense. The whole process took almost 3 hours...

From this point I never received anything back even though I was told they would contact me if i was unsuccessful or not. I contacted again and was ignored until recently when they replied that I did a great job on the day and they will be in touch soon. I would 100% decline If I was offered the role.

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pets at Home (London, England).

Interview

2 stage process. A quick phone interview followed by a store trial. Shop floor for an hour or so and then a face to face interview with two members of staff management

HR Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Manchester, England) in November 2019.

Interview

i went through Forrest recruitment, was very straight forward, did a typing speed test- based on background experience in admin which was good to bring. very straight forward started the next day

Interview Questions

• based on my previous experience in admin i think this is the reason i got put forward   1 Answer

Pet Care Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Manchester, England).

Interview

Group interview with around 10 people. We were split into groups and asked to do team building activities and then had a short interview with the manager then was followed up wit a 1.1 interview and work trial if successful

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

8 Nov 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hello. Thanks so much for taking the time to get in touch. I'm glad you found the interview easy, we'd hate for anyone to feel out of their depth or uncomfortable at all. It's great that you've accepted the offer and I hope you're enjoying your new role, if you've started it yet. Many thanks, Lorna.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hertford, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Hertford, England) in October 2019.

Interview

Had a brief telephone interview was asked to go into the store for a interview/ work trial when i got there the deputy manager said it would be done in two parts and i would have to come in again for the formal interview, which i thought was a bit odd. So, it began by being shown some of the smaller animals then onto the tills and then putting stock onto the shopfloor. A couple of days later i went back for a formal interview where the manager asked me general questions, where i kind of felt he had already made his decision. I had plenty of retail experience and had grown up with small animals all my life, lived local and fully flexible, so i really do not know what they were looking for? someone with no experience i assume? i kind of got the feeling they were looking for a school leaver, which is wrong as there should be no discrimination when interviewing. I was told i would hear back 5 days later but in fact got a email the next morning saying i had been unsuccessful i replied asking for feedback but did not get any.
    It is a really long winded process for a bog standard 16 hour retail job yes you are working with pets but end of the day it is still retail- on the till and stocking shelves. If you have retail experience and a love for animals i wouldn't bother applying because it doesn't seem like that is what they are after. Don't waste your time!

Interview Questions

• 3 words a friend would describe you as?   1 Answer

8 Nov 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hello and thank you for your review. I'm really sorry that you didn't find the interview process enjoyable, but thank you for taking time to leave your feedback so that we know where we can make some improvements. We never discriminate when considering potential new colleagues so I must apologise if you felt this way at all. Again, I'm really sorry for any disappointment caused and thank you for your review. Lorna.

Trainee Dog Groomer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlow, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Harlow, England) in October 2019.

Interview

Asked to wash, dry and brush dog. Then asked a series of questions. However, I turned up and they weren’t expecting me. Then my dog didn’t turn up so I had to do my interview questions that day, then had to go back the following day to bathe the dog. Dog was very aggressive bit me. I then had to EMAIL them to see if I had the job of not. Very dis-organised company.

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

8 Nov 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hello. Thanks for getting in touch with your thoughts on our interviewing process. I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy the experience at all, and you should never have been expected to deal with such an aggressive dog so this is really concerning. I've passed this feedback on to relevant departments to make sure these issues are addressed and to ensure we're much more organised in this store going forward. Again, really sorry for any upset caused and thank you for your review. Lorna.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (New Malden, England).

Interview

I attended the interview and there were about 30 people in the interview, I don't understand how you can get a better understanding and see if they will be right for the job when you overcrowd people into run room.

The whole interview process felt extremely outdated, it's if you are shy we don't want you here kind of feel, not great for the reputation of a company or a great image to set. This interview process may have worked 10+ years ago but times have changed and Pets At Home I think you need to get with the change!

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

29 Sep 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for the feedback regarding our interview process. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the process. It's something that we put a huge amount of effort into but do appreciate that it might not be to everyone's taste. I'll certainly feed this back to the recruitment team as we're always looking to develop & improve our processes. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. Lorna.

Trainee Dog Groomer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canterbury, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Canterbury, England) in September 2019.

Interview

bathe a dog, and then a friendly interview going over what you know about dogs, about how you would sell a package and customer service and a few more personal questions

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

8 Nov 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi. Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that you found your interview to be friendly, we know interviewing can be a really daunting time so we aim to create a polite and friendly environment for all interviewees. Many thanks, Lorna.

Animal Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Stoke-on-Trent, England).

Interview

I would like to work with animals because i am a caring and helpful person and I love working with other people and helping the customer's I have done things similar in different places I have worked at a zoo and also at a pet home rescuing animal's i rescue animal's and have a licence

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here   1 Answer

5 Sep 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi. Thanks for leaving a review on our interview process. It's great to hear that you accepted the position, and I hope you're really enjoying your role with us, it sounds like you're a great fit for the team! Many thanks, Lorna.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Chester, England) in August 2019.

Interview

About a week after I sent the application I received an invite to attend a group interview. When I arrived there were about 8 of us and we were given the run down of what the company did and the basic history. We were then split into two groups and given the task of creating a new item for either a dog or a cat and to present it to the other group. There was a large group of staff members that were split up and watched us communicate within the group.
    Next we were taken off for mini interviews with a member of staff and asked basic interview questions (i.e. why do you want the job, what experience do you have, how would you commute to work).
    The final part of this process involved cleaning out an animal enclosure. There were options of hamsters and rats in the store I was applying - once again you were watched by members of staff on how you did this.

Another week went by and I was invited back to attend a formal interview and trial shift. When I arrived I was put on the till with a member of staff, I was incharge of talking to the public whilst they handled the money side of things. Once this was over I was given a trolly of items and asked to put them all back in the correct locations. At the end I was taken through to the back office and a more formal interview was conducted with the store manager and area manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time where working in a group hasn't gone well   Answer Question

5 Sep 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback on our interview process. I hope you enjoyed this experience and found it to be relaxed, as this is the atmosphere we pride ourselves on during interviews. I'm glad to hear that you accepted the position, and I hope you're having great fun in your new role.
    Thanks again for your review.
    Lorna.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.