Pets at Home Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Peter Pritchard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Gaining experience working with animals, good people on the team, good training on animal nutrition" (in 24 reviews)

• "20% discount is great benefit and the team you work with" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Seems like anyone above store manager level is hiding away (area managers - what is going on" (in 21 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is non-existent" (in 9 reviews)

1. "The right balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that truly values the work/life balance.
    I feel trusted and empowered by my manager.
    The business is maturing and always sets clear priorities.
    The leadership is open and transparent.
    The business lives it's values.

Cons

As with many employers, different teams don't communicate between each other as well as they should.
    There can at times be a 'Top Down' approach to ideas. E.g. They appear to be of more value if they come from people higher up the hierarchy.

26 Oct 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback. I'm so pleased that you feel so positively about our company & it's developments. Our values & culture are something that we're... More

2. "Colleague"

Current Employee - Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, flexible, days off for birthday, chances to progress, courses to sit which you are paid for and travel expenses paid.

Cons

You do an awful lot and know an awful lot for a basic wage.

"Used to be better"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with and the animals

Cons

Too many targets
    Not enough colleagues
    Let down time and time again by the in store systems that don't work properly. Behind with times. Managers that are rubbish left to carry on being rubbish and nothing happens to them. Got to be a favourite with the top brass in the field team to get noticed. No values on family at all. Used to be tho! No support from area or other areas seems like everyone is out for themselves. Not team players.

Advice to Management

Move forward with the times but don't forget that we are human beings and have families we would like to see. You've forgotten your core values. This love us or leave us just shows how much you do not care about us as individuals. We are a number to you.

"Not as it seems"

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Starting salary reasonable

Cons

Lack of training
    Lack of management direction and resources enabling you to do your job
    Call centre culture

"Well looked after"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time

Pros

Great challenge daily,plenty of active working and physical. Good bonus,supportive and lots to learn

Cons

Sometimes the amount to learn puts people off as it’s a lot of knowledge to retain

29 Oct 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It's so lovely to hear that you're so content in your role & enjoy the aspect of educating & training as it's an area we're really passionate... More

6. "Good company but too many targets"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant/Keyholder in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant/Keyholder in London, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with pets everyday.
    Work life balance is great.
    Teams get on really well with one another lots of fun at work.
    Working with customers to find the best products for their pets everyday.
    Shifts are good not too early 7am starts and not too late of finishes if on late shift 8:30pm finish so not to bad.
    Training and progression good and opportunity to progress can come quickly if managers see potential.

Cons

Managers expect to much from colleagues.

Too many targets to hit from loyalty card scheme to subscription service to tails customers survey so many targets to hit colleagues get stressed out by them.

Store hours are cut so less colleagues to work throughout the day making it harder on managers.

Some colleagues even managers are lazy and just seem to get away with doing nothing all day and there’s no consequences on them.

Advice to Management

Cut all the targets in store to make it easier to hit them.

Focus on stores more with more hours for colleagues and introduce full time contracts to colleagues who want them.

Make sure Colleagues and managers are working to there best punish those who aren’t.

29 Oct 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We're really grateful for your positive comments, in particular that you have fun at work & see opportunity for progression as these... More

7. "Getting worse"

Current Employee - Colleague
    Current Employee - Colleague

I have been working at Pets at Home (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount. Meeting customers and their dogs,talking to them. Non management colleagues who share the same feelings as you about what is going wrong in store.

Cons

Changing start time from 6am to 7 am on delivery day cannot get delivery out before store opens with only 3 or 4 colleagues. Have lost 3 or 4 hours of work in that hour 6 to 7. Cannot focus on customers needs when working a delivery with pallets and stock on shop floor. Too few colleagues available to do all work involved on daily basis. Too much pressure to sell VIP card. Targets too unrealistic. Managers who say they listen to us bus dont do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Get back to facility of 6 am start to clear shop floorof delivery and 7am start on non delivery day. Get extra hours other end of day instead, where you need the hours. Stop pressurising colleagues. Look after your colleagues. After all, they are the ones who do the work and bring the money in for you. You don't apprieciate what we do for you

"Dead-end job"

Current Employee - Store Colleague in Hull, England
    Current Employee - Store Colleague in Hull, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount if you have pets.. Company lottery.. Though the same people always seem to win..

Cons

Hours been cut.. Aggressive target chasing. Bullying. Not taking proper care of animals. More concerned with pushy sales. This place has become the epitome of a money hungry, immoral and seedy company. People at the top on big bucks, store workers on a pittance. Can't talk to hr or people direct cause they aren't interested. Favouritism is rife, in store and in head office, the more you suck up the further you'll go. Such a shame as it used to be a friendly place. Now they have you working all hours.. Even holidays.. For minimum wage. They are trying to improve the atmosphere and to get everyone to stay/enjoy their time but I'm speaking for the majority when I say the top bods and area managers have shown their true colours. Colleague care is none existant. No variety to the day.

Advice to Management

Pay better.. Area managers are on 50k plus.. Gosh knows how much others higher up are on.. But why pay so low for the hardest workers all while exclaiming how many hundreds of million pound profits are made.. And the earn as you learn thing just isn't the way.

"Misleading and Unfair"

Former Employee - Store Colleague in Grantham, England
    Former Employee - Store Colleague in Grantham, England

I worked at Pets at Home (More than a year)

Pros

Varied working day and free uniform

Cons

The promise of progression is always discussed but unless you suck up to your store manager, there’s little chance of that happening. The culture of favouritism, in the store I worked in at least, is toxic. Managers will openly talk and spread lies about other managers and colleagues to all members of the team, making the working environment extremely uncomfortable.
    The changes going on in store are unfair to colleagues by giving them three times as much work to do with half the time do it in for no additional benefit.
    Managers are lazy, often spending hours of the day out the back having smoking breaks or sitting in the office gossiping with one another, only emerging to tell colleagues what we’ve been doing wrong.
    Contacting Head Office about your concerns is pointless as your issues are rebuffed and are essentially labelled as lies. Higher management were aware of issues surrounding a particular manager and their treatment of colleagues but only moved them to different stores in the area to - presumably - spread the misery instead of nipping the problem in the bud.
    Animal welfare is absolutely not a priority for Pets at Home. When I started in 2016, our store manager trusted us to make the appropriate call when choosing to complete or decline a pet sale. Now, there is so much red tape involved that, according to store managers, we are even allowed to sell animals without correct housing or appropriate company (such as gerbils, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits). All of which breaks the terms of the pet store licenses given to each individual store and, importantly, is against animal welfare regulations.
    Don’t be fooled by things like “Best Companies to Work For” lists, when these surveys would come around, colleagues were bullied into giving a good score. There are often surveys - both internal and external - that colleagues are requesting to complete “anonymously”. Upon completion, managers can see the scores they were given, although not who gave them. On several occasions, I did as I was told and gave Highly Satisfied reviews for everything, but when the results came down, I was harassed by managers and colleagues because they assumed I had given bad scores.

Advice to Management

Treat colleagues like people, stop pitting them against each other. Whilst competition is good, there’s a very fine line between encouraging competition and bullying and belittling.
    Favouritism is a form of bullying. Everyone deserves the chance to progress, especially when they have spent months proving themselves. Believe colleagues when they come to you and say they are struggling through a lack of support instead telling them “don’t be stupid”. Where exceptions are given to certain team members during trying times in their life, extend the same support to those going through equally challenging periods.
    Don’t come into a new store as a manager and announce you “hate gossip and drama” but contribute heavily towards 100% of it that happens.

"Once a good place to work but not anymore"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Birthday leave, store teams, other than that there are none

Cons

Different rules and regs for each region, very low staff budgets, tech not up to standard, top bods have no idea what its like in store, everyone trying to leave

Advice to Management

Go and work in a store for a week and do what you expect of the staff to understand life in store, headsets are not a miracle cure for service lack of staff in stores is sending that down, grooming business is a disaster hence why the very few trained staff leave. Instore website orders are costing you margin loss as most lines sold are items sitting on store shelves. Constant negative threatening emails, conference calls just bring team morale down.. new ways of working are not saving time but staff are to scared to tell top bods that they don't work.