Pets at Home Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.4
Pets at Home Group CEO Ian Kellett
Ian Kellett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working with animals, charity drives (in 20 reviews)

• There was a great team working and a very supportive store manager (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Seems like anyone above store manager level is hiding away (area managers - what is going on (in 16 reviews)

• Poor conditions long hours, lack of training (in 14 reviews)

1. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly close knit teams
    20% Discount
    Working with animals

Cons

Can be long hours
    Lots of training that takes months and sometimes seems unstructured

2. "Best decision I made for my career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Handforth, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Handforth, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people - rightly referred to as colleagues, are passionate about the customer and everything pet.

Cons

Can't think of any right now

3. "Going downhill"

Current Employee - Store Colleague
    Current Employee - Store Colleague

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great colleagues and flexible hours if like in my case you are a student.
    - Challenging and engaging in comparison to other retail environments

Cons

- Pay nowhere near enough for what you are expected to know, customers expect you to know just as much as vets, and if you don't "you're dumb", Tesco workers get paid more!
    - Aswell as this no extra money at weekends where sales are dramatically increased
    - Become focused on money making, KPI's and don't care about their colleagues anymore. Used to be great for setting up team days out, nights out, extra things but now have absolutely nothing and are expected to do more!

Advice to Management

Give more to the colleagues that give so much to the animals and customers that make you your money!

"good place"

Pros

good friendly place to work

Cons

no really advancement for career

"A Company Based On Lies"

Current Employee - Store Colleague in London, England
    Current Employee - Store Colleague in London, England

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with animals, meet new people all the time, satisfaction of helping customers and their animals also 20% staff discount

Cons

Constantly put under immense pressure by management to hit 'KPI's' because the company decided to go into the stock market. Given small contracts only to suit the companies needs. No thought given for colleagues when they decide to slash your hours without warning or explanation. Made to feel embarrassed by constantly pressurising customers to sign up to a 'VIP' card which half of the time when they do sign up they never receive their card or they get the wrong vouchers completely I.e vouchers for cat food when on their sign up form they have clearly stated they only have a dog.

Very long hours, expected to stay back on promo changeovers if your not finished in time giving no warning at all so if you've made plans for after work you better cancel them. Pay is appalling. Expected to sit through recruitment evenings and score potential new colleagues then when you try and give your opinion to management they don't listen and do what they want to do. Also your expected to preach the pets at home values to these potential new colleagues when you know they are a complete farce and full of lies.

Management spend a lot of time in the office constantly talking, on their phones and making themselves cups of tea and coffee while your expected to work huge deliveries, serve the customers and sell animals. Management also hate answering the bells for assistance most of the time they will let it ring 3-4 times before deciding to answer it leaving you to say sorry to the customers who have been waiting for 10 minutes to see somebody or be served.

Visits by area mangers and top brass are a complete farce. Stores are given clot of prior notice so when these people turn up they only get to see what they want to see. They don't see what everyday life is like in store. Also don't expect them to give you a second glance. If your lucky you will get and quick and awkward hello out of some of them before being walked around the store by the management team again seeing only what they want to see.

No chance for advancement or to higher contracts it doesn't matter how hard you work. Pets Before Profit is a complete and utter lie I've seen first hand on countless occasions pet welfare being breached and reported it to management who refused to act on it. As long as the store is hitting KPI targets colleagues pets and customers really don't matter at all.

Started off a great company and now it's an utter joke. I would avoid working here!

Advice to Management

Learn to care more for your staff, customers and pets rather then your KPI targets. Realise your colleagues have lives and needs and priorities and not all of these are going to be Pets At Home. If a colleague reports what they think is an issue investigate it even if you don't think it worthwhile you gain the respect that way.

7. "Awful place to work in"

Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Bishop Auckland, England
    Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Bishop Auckland, England

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Days off away from the place

Cons

Management wasnt the best but now we have a new boss it's unbearable. We were warned about her before she came and it's unbearable. She has no care in pet welfare at all. She is an outright bully always throwing out threats. Nothing matters to her other than saving the company money and making the place look uniform . Pets are last on her list. She has her little buddies but in all honesty, no one likes her. She and another were heard talking about the colleagues in the office and it was disgusting. Do they not know we can hear them or do they not care. She has also been caught sneaking about the shop floor listening to colleagues talking. Is she scared that we might be talking about her? I can't see me staying here for much longer as also a few others. This shop has a nasty atmosphere . I think she has a personality disorder . Paranoid and sly

Advice to Management

Find another job. Maybe a prison warden

8. "Student"

I worked at Pets at Home part-time

Pros

Good experience in retail and around animals. Keeps me busy and at hard work

Cons

Busy hours and could be tired

9. "Absolutely disgusting"

Former Employee - Store Colleague in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Pets at Home part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some people you work with until the management changed there views on people and talking about colleagues behind there back (negatively/ fat shaming)

Cons

Bullying- they don’t care and think you are lying I left and did a grievance tried many times to transfer stores which was turned down with excuses such as the other store was offering the store managers hours which I later found out was false and they had about 4 jobs going. I wanted to leave and once I did the grievance all that came out of it was if issues arise between colleagues transfer one to a different store immediately... WHAT!! No justice was served! They got away with all of the rumours, the language they said about me and making me feel worthless to the point I took time off of work from stress and other things!! Never work in Pets at Home!! Also you have to look a certain way in order to get hired if you have a birthmark on your face you will not be hired as you will be laughed at, if you are a different race you will not be allowed in (I’ve only seen this in Swindon I’m not sure about other stores) they are disgusting do not work in PAH!!

If you have issues they do NOT believe you, you are a liar, sensitive and emotional they couldn’t care less about you. You are only there to work... also they don’t care about your health also if you have a disability you will not be hired...

This is only my experience with PAH for 2 years! It starts of great and just goes down hill...

Oh and they sell sick pets too... I tried to stop them but got told off by the manager saying the bunny was not sick and being shouted at by two other colleagues saying I’m a liar and I can’t see anything wrong with it even though it had a snotty nose and was wheezing,

Shame really poor bunny...

I tried to challenge them but they could care less.

They go against one of the company values PET BEFORE PROFIT!, because a customer is shouting at you for a bunny I took off of shop floor doesn’t mean you give her a sick bunny.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

-no chance of promotions or full time hours only bare minimum of 16hrs no stability (they also do not even give you your contracted hours)

Advice to Management

I recommend you look at your team and discover where everything is going wrong. Don’t just pass it off because people struggle to speak out due to the fact others have been treated in such a bad way. Bullying should not be tolerated!! But you let it happen! Also I think you need to look at Pets at Home values again and remember sick pets should not be sold. I think this whole team should do training all over again because it seems you all have forgotten about the Animal Welfare Act 2006 plus all of Pets at Home values in the Step books.

You should honestly be disgusted in yourselves. I am an animal lover and cannot stand to see this happen I ended up coming home crying due to the way the animals have been treated and colleagues just think because they are not their pet they shouldn’t care out of there welfare, buck up your ideas and get your act together treat the animals right and make sure your colleagues are happy!!

"bullying mentality"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Stoke-on-Trent, England
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Stoke-on-Trent, England

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

don't think there are any

Cons

managers always look the other way when bullying is reported

Advice to Management

do your job

"15+ years of my loyalty not repaid by the company"

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work with some wonderful people
    learned loads over the years
    learned how not to run a business

Cons

New leadership in charge are clueless about the company's most valuable asset their people
    The focus has moved from being able to serve customers and build their trust to target led and money based
    do not pay enough for the expertise level that you are expected to know
    have to start at 6am which is not family friendly

Advice to Management

value your people again
    look at trading hours and expectation for people to do uneccessary 6am starts, how can you have a family and work here