SMRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at SMRS

2.8

Junior Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMRS (London, England) in February 2019.

Interview

My overall interview experience with SMRS was a very pleasant and easy process. From the initial application down to the offer call, everything felt familiar and welcoming.

To start with I applied online and was asked to complete a copywriting task, in order to show my skills. This was a short task that was enjoyable. After a couple of days, I was invited to interview at the company the following week. I accepted, obviously, and went to the office. As there is no reception, I was greeted by the Office Administrator, Kelly, and was immediately made to feel welcomed.

The interview itself was casual, with some of the standard questions asked, but also some more out-there questions, such as what was my most annoying grammatical error. Once this was over, I was informed of next steps. This interview took about an hour but felt like a 5-minute chat with a friend. Next was the second interview, which was again to meet the lead copywriter, but also to meet some more of the team. I was interviewed by the lead social, as my role would include working with this team. After this I was told I would hear back shortly. The next day I was offered the role, and my start date was a month after this.

Throughout the whole process, everyone at the company has been exceptionally friendly and welcoming, especially the agency administrator, Nicola, with nothing being an issue at all. The interview process was smooth and simple, not overly formal, and what I believe all recruitment process’ should be like.

Interview Questions

SMRS Response

8 Apr 2019 – Senior Marketing Executive

Thank you for sharing your experience and we're glad that you found the whole process enjoyable. Welcome to SMRS!

Creative Copywriter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMRS.

Interview

I applied online on the 29th of August, and received a rejection email on the 28th of September. It stated that my experience was carefully reviewed, and the decision made to discontinue my application. I was thanked for my interest and invited to continue it through following their activities. Lastly, I was asked to provide feedback through this site. As such, my detailed feedback follows.

I will not be making any effort to follow SMRS activities, as they provided no useful information about the specific nature of their lack of interest. There is little use in claiming a determination to treat candidates with care and attention while offering only generic justifications. Did they like my work? Did they feel that I lack skill in a particular area? What experience, exactly, would they have me pursue? I know none of these things. Furthermore, citing a nebulous issue with "experience" is one of the emptiest rejection moves, right alongside stating that someone "didn't seem like the right fit".

Ultimately, sending such an email under the guise of providing support comes across as rather self-serving. They don't want me to hire me now, and won’t give me a detailed reason, but still, it seems, want me to eye them from afar and, presumably, plot a course to eventually winning their approval, even as they abstain from providing any notion of what that would involve.

Though it is something of an aside, I feel it's relevant to touch on the oddly-dominant position 'experience' holds in the pantheon of desired candidate strengths. There are myriad professionals around with plenty of experience but no significant competence, after all, yet it's cherished like a rare and precious jewel by many, and cynically used as a bland excuse by many others. It’s always served as something of a Catch-22, but the problem has greatly worsened in recent years, with even entry-level positions now demanding varied experience.

In rating the overall experience as negative, I don't mean to single out SMRS in any major way. It's more the case that the average application experience is quite negative, and this one hasn't been particularly exceptional. Certainly, if someone at SMRS did indeed genuinely review my work, then I would like them to know that I appreciate the effort. Getting even that much consideration is frustratingly rare.

In conclusion, I would like to be clear that my intention with these comments was to offer constructive criticism, not to be petty or insulting. I agree that feedback is extremely important, and felt that I needed to be entirely honest about how it came across from my perspective. I only hope that it helps, even if just in a very minor way!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to provide feedback through this site, even though I never actually had an interview.   1 Answer

3 Oct 2017 – Marketing & Communications Executive

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your application for the role of copywriter. We are sorry that you feel that we didn’t provided sufficient constructive feedback on why you were... More

Creative Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMRS (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was long — taking over a month or so, it was thorough and I felt I really got to know and like the people and the company.

Interview Questions

• About my personal interview experience   1 Answer

4 Dec 2017 – Senior Marketing Executive

Thank you for your feedback, we're glad you enjoyed the interview process and we're sorry you haven't received the job offer. Please keep an eye on our careers page and social media accounts for... More

Insight Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SMRS (Manchester, England) in October 2014.

Interview

Fairly standard interview with two members of staff who were very pleasant. However, despite two follow ups, SMRS never got back to me after a job application which is now nearly four months ago. However much I disagree with the principle completely, I understand why companies cannot respond to every job application. SMRS are the only company I've ever known have the audacity to never respond after an actual face to face interview, especially after promising feedback. Avoid.

Interview Questions

• Please discuss in brief your experience within data analysis.   Answer Question

24 Mar 2016 – Marketing & Communications Executive

Please accept our apologies for not following up after the interview.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SMRS.

Interview

Several stage interview process. Initial submission of CV leading to telephone interview, online assessment, assessment centre and final interview. The process was managed effectively and helped make me as a candidate feel at ease. Overall it was a very enjoyable process.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?   1 Answer

4 Aug 2016 – Marketing & Communications Executive

We are glad you have enjoyed the application process, welcome to SMRS!

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMRS.

Interview

Thorough two stage process getting a clear picture of the role and the culture of the organisation. Met representatives from the team and HR. we spent a lot of time talking about the type of culture that i liked the most as they wanted to ensure there was a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions

SMRS Response

2 Oct 2017 – Marketing & Communications Executive

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.