Search Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Search Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at Search Laboratory

2.5

Paid Search Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Search Laboratory in December 2019.

Interview

First it started with a phone interview from a friendly lady named Arisara and then a Skype FaceTime interview with 2 managers. I was not able to pass the interview but they gave me a feedback rather quickly and it was definitely helpful. It was a pity I couldn’t get the position but overall it was a great experience unlike many other interview process I’ve experienced.

SEO Account Manager Interview

Interview

Although I interviewed for a position in the company's New York office, this is a British company, and the majority of the employees, including all but one of the people I spoke with through this process, are based in their UK office. This could have made the entire communication process difficult at best, but everybody I spoke with did a fantastic job at keeping me regularly updated throughout the entire process. When I ultimately didn't get the job, they called me up and even offered detailed feedback, as opposed to sending an impersonal email.

I was very impressed with Search Laboratory, and the interview process, while its ending might not have been ideal, was overall pretty positive. Everybody I met with was pleasant, transparent, clearly intelligent, and treated me with respect through the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time at work where you took on a task that wasn't part of your delegated responsibilities.   Answer Question

PPC Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Search Laboratory in April 2015.

Interview

There was a phone screen, phone interview, then two in person interviews. Overall I would say it was a very pleasant experience. Everyone was very polite and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Mostly generic interview questions. They give you an assignment to present in the in person interview. Two things to look out for on the assignment. Make sure when comparing ad campaigns to test for statistical significance. Secondly, look for a way to be able to group the data so you have enough to make significant statistical significance.   1 Answer

PPC Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Search Laboratory (Leeds, England).

Interview

Fairly simple process, consisting of CV screening, phone interview and two face to face interviews. The latter requiring you to complete a PPC task which you'll need to present.

The company initially showed huge interest and showed more interest as the interview process went on.

However, after the final interview things got very weird and it seemed as if they wanted to cut communication completely. They also lied about leaving voicemails while also saying that they had the wrong number when waiting to hear about the outcome, then all of a sudden they could ring me. Not to mention I was called multiple times prior to the final interview.

After waiting over a week and sending an email inquiring about the result of the interview, they called me to only provide very vague feedback and it all seemed quite weird. I'm pretty sure it's because I mentioned that I have chronic pain when they asked about hobbies. Here, I told them I like to do yoga to help manage and have picked it up as a hobby. I'm quite certain this is the reason for the rejection but that's understandable, probably not the thing to mention in an interview but I've learnt a lot.

I was told initially that I wouldn't need perfect knowledge on PPC as they would provide the training, but they do require you to learn a lot for the final interview. This interview required a presentation on PPC and an excel task. I asked for feedback on my excel task and I was told this was perfect, however they said other questions showed 'no attention to detail'. For example, I was tasked with creating an ad. for a technology company and I mentioned that my ad doesn't look exactly like Google ads but the information is all the same. You wouldn't be required to format the ads yourself as a PPC exec. as google handles this themselves, so I didn't think anything of it. They thought the ad. copy was very good but I was rejected on the basis this didn't look like a Google ad.

To be honest, PPC is very simple and automation will probably end up taking over the job so look for a more forward thinking company... ps if you mention automation and it's role in search marketing when given the chance to question, you'll most definitely stand out but you won't receive a great answer.

Interview Questions

• Data analysis experience, what you know about PPC, why search labs, your greatest weakness, excel experience etc. Just look at the job description, very simple.   Answer Question

14 Nov 2019 – Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We really want to make sure everyone has a good recruitment experience with us, so I'm sorry to hear that things fell short for you on this occasion.

We really appreciate the big time investment candidates put in when applying for a role with us. Because of this, it’s so important to us that everyone gets really detailed feedback; from both and positive and constructive point of view. We can see on the system that we do have these detailed feedback notes for you - about both your interview and your task. We would love the opportunity to speak to you about this on the phone, so the reasons why you have not been successful can be made clearer for you. The decision not to progress your application was based on the merits of your task and interview only.

We do have extremely high standards for our PPC team because maintaining or award status as the Best Large PPC team is really important to us. Please remember that getting through to the final stage is a fantastic achievement, and we’re sorry we’ve not been able to offer you a role on this occasion. We hope we can help to clarify the feedback. Please call the recruitment team on 0113 2121211 or, if you would prefer, you can email (the Head of HR) privately and directly at renae.shaw@searchlaboratory.com. We’re conscious there are quite a few points here, and it would be great to discuss these in detail with you. Many thanks again for your feedback and we hope to hear from you soon.

Advertising Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Search Laboratory (Leeds, England).

Interview

Longest interview process I've ever done in my life. 3 phone interviews and 2 face-to-face interviews. In the final interview I was required to do a presentation and I got sent the PDF on Monday having the interview on Friday (which was fine), however, on Wednesday I received an Excel with data which was also a part of the presentation that they forgot to include on Monday's email and, at the end, I was rejected apparently because of the data part.
    Also, it took 7 days to hear back from them with the final decision, which I think is too many days.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would manage speaking with clients? (because I'm not an English native speaker)   Answer Question

31 Oct 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. It’s so important to us that candidates have a positive experience, so we’re really disappointed things fell short on this occasion.

You’re absolutely right, the accompanying data for your interview task should have been sent to you on Monday rather than Wednesday. We’re really sorry for this, and we have made some adjustments to our process to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

We’re an equal opportunities employer, with non-native speakers making up 20% of our workforce, so we would really like to understand more about your feedback on the interview questions. A member of the HR team will be in touch with you to discuss this.

Thank you again for your feedback and all the best with your ongoing job search.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Search Laboratory (Leeds, England).

Interview

Answer programming questions using an actual computer rather than paper ;o) Interviewers gave plenty of helpful hints and made me feel at ease. Process wasn't rushed. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Interview Questions

• What is inheritance, describe Polymorphism, couple of questions about LINQ, Async / Await.   Answer Question

SEO Content Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Search Laboratory in July 2018.

Interview

The initial telephone interview went well and seemed promising, and I was told that I would go to the next stage and that I seemed to be capable for the role. But then I was told that the role would be put on hold. Yet, I found out that the role was being re-advertised and when I spoke to the HR lady about this, she changed her tune and implied that my experience would not be relevant after all. Needless to say, I won't be considering this company again.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience and how it's relevant for this role.   Answer Question

14 Nov 2019 – Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback and we’re really sorry if you were left feeling confused following your recruitment experience. This is not what we aim for when speaking with candidates, and we hope we can help to clarify things for you now.

Our recruitment team work to a brief given to them by each recruiting manager. Each recruiter will make contact with candidates who have strong and relevant skills, before making their recommendations to the recruiting manager. It is ultimately up to the recruiting manager to make the final decision about who to take forward in the process. The recruitment team will have been keen to speak to you because of your relevant experience, and it sounds like you had a really positive call. It may just be that the hiring manager needed a slightly different mix of skills and experience at this time. This should in no way reflect negatively on your skills and experience. We retain all relevant CV’s, as well as detailed notes from each call, so that contact can be made if a more suitable role arises. From the positive feedback you received on the call, this is something we would have wanted to do, and I’m sorry if you were disappointed it was not a match on that occasion. If you would like to discuss this further then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of the HR team on 0113 2121211.

Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Search Laboratory (Leeds, England) in July 2017.

Interview

One of the smoothest and most organised interview processes I've ever experienced.

The in-house talent acquisition manager approached me and set all interviews up. There was an initial call so that both parties could assess suitability, interest etc. during which I was given a really good overview of the role and the company. I was then sent the full job spec.

First interview was with the hiring manager and the HR manager, who were both very well prepared and asked the right questions. Second interview was with the hiring manager and the Head of Operations - during this one I had a brief task to prepare, followed by questions.

Through each step, communication and feedback were to the point, fast and helped the process move quickly.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to my experience; what I can bring to the role; how I will address some team-related matters within the first three months.   Answer Question

PPC Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Search Laboratory.

Interview

The interview process was mostly positive. First there was a phone interview which was the usual questions about why I was interested in the role and why I felt I was suitable.

I was then invited to a face to face interview. In this we more or less went through my entire CV and discussed how my experiences might relate to the job.

Finally, there was a second stage interview. This involved a case study where you were asked questions on what adjustments you'd make to a PPC Campaign, and then a few more questions at the end.

The interviewers were friendly for the most part and I felt the whole process was fair. However, I was unhappy in my second stage interview when one of them literally asked me "are you lazy?", because I've been unable to find work since finishing my degree a few months ago. It's possible I'm a bit sensitive about this as it is clearly stated on my CV that I had to spend years out of education/work due to a serious illness, but regardless of those circumstances it still felt like an unprofessional question. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable and I was a lot less confident about the rest of the interview from that point on.

I was not offered a role in the end and I found the feedback to be slightly lacking. Almost all of the feedback I was given was very good, which isn't particularly helpful. The only negatives given were that one of the questions could have been improved slightly and that they weren't sure I was enthusiastic enough because I didn't ask them any questions at the end. It feels like a contradiction that they called me unenthusiastic, even though on the day they told me that my presentation for the task was very good and that I'd clearly put a lot of effort into it. I would suggest that effort taken to prepare for the interview is a better measure of enthusiasm than whether or not a candidate googled "good questions to ask at job interview" the night before.

Interview Questions

• The advice the other review gave is useful. Look at sample size and statistical significance in terms of the number of clicks and conversions. There's a question where you need to combine the data for some similar keywords (that just differ by location) and treat it as one big keyword in order to have a meaningful sample size to compare against a different keyword.

You have to write your own PPC ads for one question. Mine were fine but they said some people don't research the character limits for PPC ads and write full paragraphs of prose. Definitely not a mistake you want to make.

The one question they said I should have done better on is 6, where it asks for improvements you could make to the campaign. I made the mistake of looking at aspects of the campaign that are evident in the case study. Here you're supposed to show you've done your own research into PPC and talk about things such as expanding the number of keywords used.   Answer Question

PPC Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Search Laboratory (Leeds, England) in January 2015.

Interview

I found the interview process to be very unprofessional. I was taken through my CV like through an exam. The interviewers didn't bother to read any HR material and they are too young to have any life experience or a clear idea about human nature to make any informed decisions. It was very disappointing - kinder garden attitude. I felt that they can't wait to get rid of me.

Interview Questions

Search Laboratory Response

3 Mar 2015 – Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback and I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with us was not a positive one. I would be really grateful if you could spare some time to discuss this further as our candidate experience is really important to us. If you are happy to speak to me about this, please call Renae Jackson on 0113 2121211. Many thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.