Search Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Search Laboratory Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2019

Found 50 reviews

4.6
Search Laboratory CEO Ian Harris (no image)
Ian Harris
Pros
  • "Staff are looked after in all areas - everyone cares about health/wellbeing, the company offers social events and a good benefits scheme(in 7 reviews)

• "Superb working environment in a top notch office with a brilliant team(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also the pay for certain roles is a little less competitive (a fairly small price to pay to actually enjoy what amounts to a third of your day(in 3 reviews)

• "Starting salaries might be a bit low but you get a chance to get an annual pay review(in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture / working environment - the company makes a huge effort to develop a positive culture really prioritises staff well-being. From the top down, I feel like everyone is genuinely committed to making it a great place to work. As an example, the company recently paid for a number of staff to become 'Mental Health First Aiders'. Search Labs features in the Sunday Times 'Best 100 Companies to Work For' list pretty... much every year, which kind of speaks for itself. HR is incredibly supportive and approachable. There are regular meetings for staff to provide feedback and suggestions on how to improve the culture and working environment. Staff - there are some really bright people here, and everyone is easy to get along with. Many people have been here for 5+ years, so there's a lot of stability - in particular among managers and the directors. Perks - as you'd expect of a digital agency, perks are good. Healthcare allowance, gym membership, subsidised cafe onsite, big games room with shuffleboard / table tennis / pool / darts / table football, free drinks after work on a Friday, regular social events and parties. Forward thinking - I feel like Search Labs does a good job of spotting opportunities in the market and taking advantage of them. Digital marketing changes constantly, and senior management seem to always have an eye on what's coming next and are always open to suggestions from staff about new services etc. Opportunity - generally speaking there's always opportunities for people to learn new skills and progress their careers, and I feel like senior managers and HR make an effort to promote this. In a company of 150 people there'll always be some people who hit a ceiling and need to move elsewhere for career development, but overall there are lots of opportunities across the business

Cons

Not really a 'con' as it's kind of a positive thing... but the business is constantly adapting to developments in digital marketing best practice, which means that managers frequently have to implement changes to the way services are delivered, or make changes to team structures. For some people this can be a challenge.

Search Laboratory2019-03-06
  2. "Talented people"

Former Employee - International Digital Marketing Executive in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

- talented people - fun office environment - international workspace

Cons

- difficult to grow - preferences for some teams (international a bit behind)

Search Laboratory2019-06-12
  3. "Learn, develop and grow with lovely people & a growing SEO toolkit"

Former Employee - Technical SEO in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Took a lot from my experience at Search Labs. Here are some highlights... * Great people – special shout out to the Tech SEO team, who are all badass! The most knowledgeable and supportive team I've worked with. Also a good laugh. * Got chosen to go to BrightonSEO which was awesome. * Focus on innovation with a monthly award for the best project submitted. * Access to lots of SEO tools – new and exciting... ones always being explored to make teams more efficient and provide 5* client experience. * Nice clients in a range of industries. * Perks and benefits are good. * Lots of activities organised to raise money for the charity of the year. * Mental health and wellbeing days and year-round initiatives. * Detailed PDP doc regularly reviewed, so you know where you are and what you need to do to progress. * Colleagues supported in moving around departments to broaden their experience. * Monthly socials are pretty varied and inclusive – not all around drinking which I appreciate as a bit of a teetotaller.

Cons

* Departments could work in a more integrated way. They're working on this, so I'm sure this will improve in the near future.

Search Laboratory2019-03-07
  4. "A+++++ would recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with great people, training opportunities via Pluralsight, degree of freedom in development direction (i.e. choosing tech to use, input into the spec

Cons

If you only want to develop and not test, train, write specs, design database and fix monitors then this job may not be for you

Search Laboratory2019-01-23

January 31, 2019Head of HR

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, and it's great to hear you enjoyed the training opportunities - which is definitely something we want to get right. Our Developers are involved in the full software development lifecycle - and it sounds like there were elements of this you perhaps did not find as enjoyable. We're really sorry to hear this was the case and would like to thank you for your many years of service and hard work. All the very best for the future and thank you again for your feedback.

"Great if your not in sales"

Former Employee - Business Development in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time

Pros

perks and people were lovely

Cons

The stucture and understanding of their pipelines/product was an absolute joke I felt I had to leave the sales team as it was driven from the backseat!

Search Laboratory2019-01-15

January 18, 2019Head of HR

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. Whilst it’s great you loved the people and perks here, of course it’s disappointing to hear you’re experience of sales wasn’t what you had hoped. We will pass your feedback to the relevant manager and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

6. "Great place to work"

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff are friendly, lots of room to progress career, engaging work, extremely flexible

Cons

There is a tempting McDonalds next door!

Search Laboratory2018-11-21

January 18, 2019Head of HR

Always tricky to avoid the temptation of McD's! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and we hope you have a great, continued career with us at the Lab.

7. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time

Pros

Absolutely amazing place to work, lots of training, latest tech, top hardware. All software is internal so no pesky customers. Nice modern spacious office. Regular social events + benefits.

Cons

There really are none at all

Search Laboratory2018-10-19

January 18, 2019Head of HR

So pleased to hear you're loving life at the Lab. Thank you for being part of our super duper Dev team, and we wish you a long and happy career with us.

8. "Business Development Executive"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Superb working environment in a top notch office with a brilliant team 2) Intelligent and cool colleagues who are always willing to give advice and share their knowledge 3) Opportunity to build relationships with some of the biggest companies in tech and retail 4) Monthly staff events 5) Free beer Fridays in the games room with ping pong table, shuffleboard and pool table 6) Loads of cool benefits including... dental care, eye care, cycle to work scheme 7) Office canteen 8) Free fruit 9) Just a really nice place to work overall :)

Cons

Can't really think of any

Search Laboratory2018-08-01

January 18, 2019Head of HR

It's so great to hear you had such a positive experience with us, and thank you for sharing with us such detailed feedback. We wish you all the very best for the future!

9. "Fantastic company culture and market leading SEO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time

Pros

- Family culture and excellent hiring standards - Accessible and supportive upper management - Development opportunities - Constant innovation within SEO

Cons

- Could forward plan more with recruitment needs. tends to be quite reactive and by that point the team is under pressure

Search Laboratory2018-05-15

May 21, 2018Head of HR

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback with us, it's so valuable to help us improve. You're absolutely right, recruitment should be planned as proactively as possible, and this is something we will continue to look at. We're really pleased you like the company culture and thanks again for sharing!

"SEO Specialist"

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great monthly events and plenty of perks - Friendly and capable HR

Cons

- Senior staff - Opportunities to Grow - Salaries - Lack of real training - Many incompetent people in higher positions

Search Laboratory2018-05-12

May 21, 2018Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're really sorry the training fell short for you, as creating development opportunities for the team is integral to us at the Lab. Setting the correct salaries is definitely important. Awarding salaries that are competitive and fair within the industry is something we do work hard on, and we do this by completing regular benchmarking assessments. We're sorry to hear on this occasion you felt we didn't get it right. It’s great to hear you’ve enjoyed our social events over the years – we love an excuse for a get-together! Thanks again for sharing your feedback and all the best for the future.

Found 50 reviews