Search Laboratory Reviews

Updated 29 Mar 2021

4.5
Search Laboratory CEO Ian Harris (no image)
Ian Harris
Pros
  • "Work Environment - SearchLabs promotes a casual and relaxed working environment which works really well(in 8 reviews)

• "Staff are looked after in all areas - everyone cares about health/wellbeing, the company offers social events and a good benefits scheme(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Starting salaries might be a bit low but you get a chance to get an annual pay review(in 4 reviews)

• "Poor salary starting out, poor website for a digital agency(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A company with their heart and ethics in the right place

29 Mar 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company care about doing the right things and treating staff in the right way - above making profit - which is nice to see. This isn't to say they're not ambitious, but they go about things in a fair and ethical way.

Cons

Of course there are frustrating things but they would be the case anywhere. Change can be slow sometimes as everyone is busy.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Brilliant company to work for

5 Mar 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, genuine focus on offering the best possible service for clients, good amount of freedom and autonomy, good opportunities to innovate and for your voice to be heard, focus on hiring graduates and promoting them through the ranks.

Cons

As with most similar companies, there have been some challenging times since COVID hit, which have led to a reduction in headcount and some struggles around the culture with the shift to working from home. However, I feel like Search Lab handled this well (compared to horror stories I've heard from friends and other former colleagues about how it has been handled elsewhere) and I'm still hugely confident in the company's ability to bounce back from this setback.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee

You work with so many great people who genuinely like each other

14 Jan 2021 - PR Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

* You work with so many great people who genuinely like each other * Good culture, with lots of staff parties and socials (in pre-covid times) * Flexible working * Do lots of fundraising for Charity

Cons

* The pay really isn't great... they try to compromise on poor salary with a good work culture, but free fruit and a ping pong table doesn't pay my electricity bill * Have a rule of just a 1k salary rise for internal promotions (most wouldn't take an external job for that so why is it acceptable?) * Search Labs have always claimed they are all about the staff wellbeing, however many in senior management showed their true colours over the handling of employees over the course of the pandemic while making little personal sacrifice themselves

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place, great people.

2 Dec 2020 - Technical SEO Executive in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity for development Great clients Very positive work life balance focus Very stable company with 0 debt If you have initiative you can accomplish a lot here. Especially in the tech team.

Cons

Lots of people have been at the company 8+ years, which means navigating some complicated long standing relationships as a new starter.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

15 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Development People Care about staff's wellbeing Flexible (home) working

Cons

(Starting) salaries aren't very high, but regular reviews and development opportunities allow these to increase.

6. 4.0

Good place to work

27 Jan 2021 - Programmatic Account Manager in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and great people to work with

Cons

Pay isn’t hugely competitive but you can advance in the organisation

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Excellent place to work

6 Nov 2020 - Manager in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team are excellent and everybody is very helpful. There is a real collegiate atmosphere rather than competitive to the point of back-stabbing as it was at my previous job.

Cons

I can't think of any major cons.

Head of HR

We really appreciate you sharing your feedback and it's great to hear you're still enjoying life at the Lab after so many years. Thank you for being part of the team and we hope to keep you for many years more!

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good up until Covid

7 Nov 2020 - SEO Department in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great manager, opportunities to tailor job role to individual interests, relaxed working environment

Cons

The company really cared about employee wellbeing up until the pandemic. They were bad at communicating about changes and what was going on in terms of redundancies when people were on furlough. They were also quite secretive. Worst of all, they did not keep employees on until the end of the furlough scheme, leaving people without employment and income.

Head of HR

We really value your feedback so thank you for sharing this with us. Despite every effort to keep the SL team intact whilst responding to COVID, we were deeply saddened to lose some of our colleagues. The company was forced to make some very difficult decisions and, whilst every effort was made to communicate and act in a transparent and compassionate way, we are really sorry to hear that you feel we have fallen short. In this process, as much as wanted to hold onto everyone for as long as possible (and until the end of the furlough scheme), this unfortunately was not possible because such different notice periods needed to be served. Those with a longer notice period were paid until the end of the furlough scheme. We know processes like this can cause a lot of stress and uncertainty, which is why we chose to serve notice to everyone at the same time. Of course, for anyone with a shorter notice period, we completely appreciate why this might feel unfair. Whilst we hope to never enter into such a process again, the Directors have been speaking 1 on 1 with everyone in the company to understand what we can learn from this experience and how everyone is feeling. Again, we are so sorry that this has been such a difficult year, thank you for all your hard work and we wish you all the very best for the future.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

22 Jan 2020 - PPC Account Manager in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Environment - SearchLabs promotes a casual and relaxed working environment which works really well. Recently introduced flexible working hours after identifying a desire for it, making it much easier to find a good work/life balance. People - The best thing about the company, everyone is so kind, fun and encouraging in every team of the company making everyday working life a lot more enjoyable. Opportunities - I feel like I've been given lots of opportunities to learn and progress during my time at Search Laboratory - I also feel that the recent changes to team structures makes progression internally a lot clearer and has introduced roles in certain areas where people would previously hit a ceiling. Perks - Really enjoy the games room on the top floor, with games such as table tennis, darts, pool, shuffleboard, table football to relax at lunch or after work. The healthcare benefits are also really good!

Cons

Could forward plan with recruitment needs better - Often feels as though it's reactive rather than proactive.

Head of HR

Thank you for your kind feedback and we absolutely agree it's the people that make SL such a great place to work - and we're always up for a shuffleboard challenge! We completely understand why you have mentioned recruitment, as we know the impact it can have when more resource is needed. It certainly is a challenge to get that balance right, and it's one we will definitely continue to look at. Thank you again for your feedback.

10. 4.0

Fun place to work

29 Sep 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good atmosphere Great Co Workers Awesome work life balance

Cons

Salary is not very competitive.

Head of HR

Thank you for leaving us a review, we really appreciated it. We want every single person at Search Labs to have a great work-life balance, so it's great to hear this is working well for you. We definitely want to make sure our salaries are competitive. If you haven't already, please speak with your manager so they can look into this for you. Whilst we do carry out regular salary benchmarking, any feedback you have in this area is going to be really useful. Thank you again for your review and for being part of the SL team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 64 Reviews