Search Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Search Laboratory Reviews

Updated 22 Jan 2020

4.6
Search Laboratory CEO Ian Harris (no image)
Ian Harris
Pros
  • "Staff are looked after in all areas - everyone cares about health/wellbeing, the company offers social events and a good benefits scheme(in 7 reviews)

• "Superb working environment in a top notch office with a brilliant team(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also the pay for certain roles is a little less competitive (a fairly small price to pay to actually enjoy what amounts to a third of your day(in 3 reviews)

• "Starting salaries might be a bit low but you get a chance to get an annual pay review(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - PPC Account Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work Environment - SearchLabs promotes a casual and relaxed working environment which works really well. Recently introduced flexible working hours after identifying a desire for it, making it much easier to find a good work/life balance. People - The best thing about the company, everyone is so kind, fun and encouraging in every team of the company making everyday working life a lot more enjoyable. Opportunities - I feel like I've been given lots of opportunities to learn and progress during my time at Search Laboratory - I also feel that the recent changes to team structures makes progression internally a lot clearer and has introduced roles in certain areas where people would previously hit a ceiling. Perks - Really enjoy the games room on the top floor, with games such as table tennis, darts, pool, shuffleboard, table football to relax at lunch or after work. The healthcare benefits are also really good!

Cons

Could forward plan with recruitment needs better - Often feels as though it's reactive rather than proactive.

Search Laboratory2020-01-22
  2. "Talented people"

Former Employee - International Digital Marketing Executive in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

- talented people - fun office environment - international workspace

Cons

- difficult to grow - preferences for some teams (international a bit behind)

Search Laboratory2019-06-12
  3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture / working environment - the company makes a huge effort to develop a positive culture really prioritises staff well-being. From the top down, I feel like everyone is genuinely committed to making it a great place to work. As an example, the company recently paid for a number of staff to become 'Mental Health First Aiders'. Search Labs features in the Sunday Times 'Best 100 Companies to Work For' list pretty much every year, which kind of speaks for itself. HR is incredibly supportive and approachable. There are regular meetings for staff to provide feedback and suggestions on how to improve the culture and working environment. Staff - there are some really bright people here, and everyone is easy to get along with. Many people have been here for 5+ years, so there's a lot of stability - in particular among managers and the directors. Perks - as you'd expect of a digital agency, perks are good. Healthcare allowance, gym membership, subsidised cafe onsite, big games room with shuffleboard / table tennis / pool / darts / table football, free drinks after work on a Friday, regular social events and parties. Forward thinking - I feel like Search Labs does a good job of spotting opportunities in the market and taking advantage of them. Digital marketing changes constantly, and senior management seem to always have an eye on what's coming next and are always open to suggestions from staff about new services etc. Opportunity - generally speaking there's always opportunities for people to learn new skills and progress their careers, and I feel like senior managers and HR make an effort to promote this. In a company of 150 people there'll always be some people who hit a ceiling and need to move elsewhere for career development, but overall there are lots of opportunities across the business

Cons

Not really a 'con' as it's kind of a positive thing... but the business is constantly adapting to developments in digital marketing best practice, which means that managers frequently have to implement changes to the way services are delivered, or make changes to team structures. For some people this can be a challenge.

Search Laboratory2019-03-06
  4. "Learn, develop and grow with lovely people & a growing SEO toolkit"

Former Employee - Technical SEO in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Took a lot from my experience at Search Labs. Here are some highlights... * Great people – special shout out to the Tech SEO team, who are all badass! The most knowledgeable and supportive team I've worked with. Also a good laugh. * Got chosen to go to BrightonSEO which was awesome. * Focus on innovation with a monthly award for the best project submitted. * Access to lots of SEO tools – new and exciting ones always being explored to make teams more efficient and provide 5* client experience. * Nice clients in a range of industries. * Perks and benefits are good. * Lots of activities organised to raise money for the charity of the year. * Mental health and wellbeing days and year-round initiatives. * Detailed PDP doc regularly reviewed, so you know where you are and what you need to do to progress. * Colleagues supported in moving around departments to broaden their experience. * Monthly socials are pretty varied and inclusive – not all around drinking which I appreciate as a bit of a teetotaller.

Cons

* Departments could work in a more integrated way. They're working on this, so I'm sure this will improve in the near future.

Search Laboratory2019-03-07
  5. "A+++++ would recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with great people, training opportunities via Pluralsight, degree of freedom in development direction (i.e. choosing tech to use, input into the spec

Cons

If you only want to develop and not test, train, write specs, design database and fix monitors then this job may not be for you

Search Laboratory2019-01-23

"Great if your not in sales"

Former Employee - Business Development in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time

Pros

perks and people were lovely

Cons

The stucture and understanding of their pipelines/product was an absolute joke I felt I had to leave the sales team as it was driven from the backseat!

Search Laboratory2019-01-15
  7. "Great place to work"

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff are friendly, lots of room to progress career, engaging work, extremely flexible

Cons

There is a tempting McDonalds next door!

Search Laboratory2018-11-21
  8. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time

Pros

Absolutely amazing place to work, lots of training, latest tech, top hardware. All software is internal so no pesky customers. Nice modern spacious office. Regular social events + benefits.

Cons

There really are none at all

Search Laboratory2018-10-19
  9. "Business Development Executive"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Leeds, England

I worked at Search Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Superb working environment in a top notch office with a brilliant team 2) Intelligent and cool colleagues who are always willing to give advice and share their knowledge 3) Opportunity to build relationships with some of the biggest companies in tech and retail 4) Monthly staff events 5) Free beer Fridays in the games room with ping pong table, shuffleboard and pool table 6) Loads of cool benefits including dental care, eye care, cycle to work scheme 7) Office canteen 8) Free fruit 9) Just a really nice place to work overall :)

Cons

Can't really think of any

Search Laboratory2018-08-01
  10. "Fantastic company culture and market leading SEO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Search Laboratory full-time

Pros

- Family culture and excellent hiring standards - Accessible and supportive upper management - Development opportunities - Constant innovation within SEO

Cons

- Could forward plan more with recruitment needs. tends to be quite reactive and by that point the team is under pressure

Search Laboratory2018-05-15