Takeaway.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Takeaway.com

2.3

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)).

Interview

Phone call and then one on one interview the task then two 1 hour panels. The task was not difficult; however they give you another task too. Their request from you is not clear; they say somethings in just words with no ellaborations; so dont be shy to challenge them.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

17 Nov 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. We are sorry that you felt that the task wasn't clear enough. Although not perfect, a home task is another way for us to evaluate candidates and their way of thinking. We do encourage candidates to reach out in case they have questions and always open to feedback. Thanks again for letting us know about this and all the best.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Takeaway.com.

Interview

- Interview with HR
    - Group interview with senior manager & peer
    - Case study
    - Group interview with team leads
    - (Possibly interview with C-suite)

I applied online and the HR team got back to me after 2 days. The HR manager was very professional and showed a lot of empathy- which I really appreciate.

My second interview with the team based in other locations went well, but I feel like they were not 100% sure about the interview structure, which resulted in some awkward moments where my interviewers discussed over their own questions during the interview. It was also a straight Q&A session, not so much interaction.

The next interview covered my case study. The two leads were quite chill and detail-oriented. They might randomly ask about anything you put on your presentation so be ready to elaborate your ideas and reasons. It was professional and relaxing. An interviewer also gave me feedback immediately after each of my answer, which is I find very interesting. My case study feedback was very positive and that they would like to proceed to the final round with me.

After two weeks of waiting, I reached out to the HR team and was told that I did not get the job- the reason was that there was a sudden change in the organizational structure which changed the job requirements, and that they need someone with a complete different set of experience compared to the job ads. And even though they pictured me as a "perfect match", they would have to end the procedure with me. I find this explanation very unsatisfying and shows the lack of structure in within the company. I felt like I wasted quite some time and effort in applying for a position which changed last minute. Anyway, the process was more or less pleasant and the professionalism of the HR Manager saved the whole thing.

Put aside the procedure, I think it's still a male-dominant company and there are quite still some (unconscious) biases around the diversity topic. One of the interviewers started the conversation by asking me how come I spoke so well English as I come from X country (?), please mind that this is a mid-senior position and even though I do understand it comes from a good intention, it does still sound the same to me when someone says "oh you are a woman, you code?".

Some suggestions to the company:
    - Be consistent on your job requirements to save time and effort for both parties
    - Hiring-training for non-recruiting team maybe?
    - Diversity starts from within. perhaps start by raising the awareness about unconscious biases & try to eliminate them during interview

Interview Questions

• Basic questions: CV, work experience, why this company
      Technical questions   Answer Question

10 Nov 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Hi, thanks a lot for this feedback. As you probably know, we are in the process of merging with Just Eat, which means restructuring the company and some changes are taking place. We are doing this as fast as we can to make sure that cases like yours won't happen. We are sorry that this has happened. As for your comment about diversity- we will look into this with our recruitment team. Thanks again for the feedback

Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com in October 2020.

Interview

The procedure was very easy to get through to the final round. The first call with the recruiter was easy. Lasted less than 5 minutes and I didn't even need to answer the famous "tell me about myself." The second round was with two people who just mainly wanted to get to know me and see if I would enjoy the role so I easily passed. The last round felt like the easiest round as the interviewer did not really have many questions to ask and looked happy with me just being there. I thought they were just eager to hire me but wanted to see me in person first. I mean they even wanted to make sure I had no upcoming holiday plans. Sadly I was mistaken and still have yet to receive a good explanation and any reimbursement for my final interview that took my entire Friday as it was an over 6 hours roundtrip.

The only reason for doubt I can see is that I overdressed for the in-person interview, which thereby created an awkward situation when I entered the laidback informal environment of where the final interview would take place.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

10 Nov 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Hi and thanks for your feedback. We appreciate your effort and time interviewing at Takeaway. We do not know the specific case but it's important for us to mention that we never judge by the way someone is dressing. If you feel that you didn't receive proper feedback, we invite you to write us with some details to feedback@takeaway.com. Thanks again for sharing your experience at Takeaway.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)) in October 2020.

Interview

After having applied to takeaway.com for a role in Berlin I received an email from hr recruiter for a phone call which I had to schedule with the help of a third party application they provided over email.
    Immediately after scheduling the call I get a message from the recruiter that it was really nice talking to you.....an automated email which we receive after the initial screening round kind of an automated mail and that we would we cannot move ahead with your application. Etc

So was this a joke? Do you take applications seriously?

Business Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)).

Interview

I sustained the all selection process. The people were polite but extremely disorganised. They sent me an Amazon Review case study but didn't give me access to the folder, before that, the hiring manager sent me by mistake two mails because he was not in touch with HR. At the presentation of the case study they didn't ask questions about data cleansing and asked about "business insights" and didn't make an offer because I was "too technical". I seriously doubt that they had solid competencies regarding data analysis (the title was Business related but the case required coding), I had the impression they wanted a high level analysis even if not backed by data. The case study was totally not pertinent to the position. Lot of confusion.

Interview Questions

• What are your Business conclusions about the Case Study   Answer Question

29 Sep 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write this feedback. We will look into this and make sure the process is aligned with the job requirements. Thanks again for your time and good luck with your job search

Digital Marketing Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Interview

I have received and email by senior recruiter that they would like to proceed with my application and that I should book a free time slot in recruiter’s calendar. My proposal was twice canceled and when she proposed new time I made changes in my calendar to make it work. At the time when interview was supposed to happen, she wasn’t calling. I sent a kind reminder after 15 minutes but I never got any replies. This is was a very disappointing experience.

29 Sep 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry that you had to go through this experience. This is definitely not the way we want our candidates to feel, as we truly value our candidate's time and efforts and we want them to have a positive experience. We will look into your case. Thanks again for sharing this.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)) in September 2020.

Interview

It started with an HR call where I clearly communicated my salary expectations.
    Then I got an assignment and I invested a lot in it and made sure all bonus points were covered.
    After reviewing the assignment, which they liked, I was invited for technical interview which took forever for HR to schedule. They don't even use a calendar application to schedule meetings nor share calendar invites, it is all shared in written format in emails.

In technical interview, there were two interviewers who didn't even wait a minute to start asking technical questions. It felt more of an interrogation, where after replying to one guy, the other guy immediately would ask another question. This interrogation went on for one hour with no breather in between, there were some questions I could have answered better but by that time I was so exhausted that I stopped trying. No one tried to make the conversation nice, rather it being a discussion it became more of a non stop questionnaire. They were literally googling questions online and asking any random thing. No structure no flow.

After this the HR came up with an offer which was 10K less than my expected salary. When I asked for the reason I got an reply that before the technical interview they planned(in their own minds, without communicating to me) to hire me as Lead developer and after technical interview they decided they could only hire me as senior software engineer(the post I actually applied for) and not lead developer and hence low salary. God knows what does that even mean? Why would you not tell the candidate upfront that they cannot give me my expected salary for the applied position. I would have maybe felt better if they would have outrightly rejected me.

In the end it was a waste of time and effort and especially in current times when you are already stressed enough, this was unnecessary and could have been avoided, if the HR was transparent enough.

Interview Questions

• Internal Working of garbage collection in java.
      How Spring framework works internally.
      Convince the lead why they should move to kubernetes.
      Java 8 questions, default methods. REST model.   Answer Question

15 Oct 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Hello and thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that this was your experience! Here at Takeaway it is highly important for us to fit the candidate to the best possible role, both in terms of salary expectations and experience. However, we do agree that this should be done in a transparent way and we will check into your case to understand better what happened. If you'd like to further discuss this, Daniel, our Head of Tech Recruitment in Berlin, would love to speak to you. Please send him an email to Daniel.szabo@takeaway.com. Thanks again for sharing your feedback and we wish you all the best for the future.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in September 2020.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and got a phone call from a technical recruiter about 2 weeks afterwards.
    The conversation was pleasant and informative on both sides regarding the company, job description and my qualifications and overall it seemed like I met the recruiter expectations.
    Right after my reply to the recruiter question regarding my wage expectation, the recruiter remained silent for about 2-3 seconds and then sort of switched her attitude and said: "well, I really enjoyed talking to you and getting to know and just keep in mind that even if you won't be found suitable for this position I will keep your resume for future optional positions".

The night after I received an email at 1:45 AM from and automatic mailing system saying that "your application does not entirely meet our needs for this vacancy".
    Few hours later I've sent an email to the recruiter saying that I would highly appreciate a bit more detailed response which can help me improve for my future challenges.

I did not receive any reply.

I come with a strong background in the Quality Assurance field with 3 times more years of experience than required but I decided to take the shot and see how it goes.
    It is clearly that I've got the generic rejection email due to my (apparently) too high wage expectation which is accepted but it will be more professional from the recruiter to mention it, specially if I sent a follow up email.
    Ignoring is not an answer.

Interview Questions

• Experience, Technological knowledge, why did I leave former positions.   Answer Question

15 Sep 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we are sorry that you felt this way. After checking the case, the recruiter did get back to you but it took her a few days, and by then this review was already posted. We will check into our processes and make sure in the future to get back to rejected candidates faster. We do value your efforts and time and we appreciate your feedback.

Data Warehouse Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in September 2020.

Interview

Upon my application takeaway send an online task. After completing this task, one online HR meeting and one technical meeting with one of the team members. They have sent the final task. Designing and developing a data warehouse for a given data set. My solution was not good enough to pass this step.

Interview Questions

• Describe slowly changing dimension type 1?   1 Answer

24 Nov 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for sharing your feedback and we wish you all the best

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in September 2020.

Interview

I must note that the whole process was clear and smooth. HR and Product team members in Tel Aviv are very nice persons. The process has included 3 steps: interview with the product team lead, home assignment, and product managers from the squad. All interviews were remote.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

24 Sep 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and we wish you all the best with your job search

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.