The Institute of Cancer Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at The Institute of Cancer Research

2.9

Clinical Trial Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sutton, East Midlands, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research (Sutton, East Midlands, England) in March 2019.

Interview

Greeted by a friendly face, interview panel was very friendly and made me feel comfortable as I started the interview process. I had a good disucssion during my interview which was nice to see.

Interview Questions

• I found preparing for my presentation quite challenging, although I learnt a lot through the process. There were no particular questions which took me by surprise.   Answer Question

Bioinformatician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research.

Interview

I got invited for a phone interview a few days after the job posting closed, and invited for an in-person interview a day after that, which was conducted 2 weeks later. I was told that my references will be contacted before the in-person interview. I was asked to briefly present my previous research to the group. They were very polite and friendly and asked some questions about my work. I was given a tour of the lab/offices, taken for lunch and had a nice chat about future projects afterwards. I was offered the job the next day.

Interview Questions

• The only non-scientific question was "How well do you perform in a team setting"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, the salary was already set to the maximum of the band that job was advertised in.

Bioinformatician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research in January 2019.

Interview

I had an initial interview in which I was asked to do a 5 minute presentation about my relevant experience, followed by approx. 20 min of questions regarding the presented work and my work ethics. Afterwards I was sent a simple problem task to solve and prepare a report which we discussed in the second interview.

Interview Questions

• The initial interview didn't cover many technical stuff, I was asked what programming languages and bioinformatic tools I'm familiar with, and similar questions. Most of the question were actually along the lines of how would I handle this and that situation, what's my biggest weakness and strength, do I prefer to work alone or in a group, how do you deal with short deadlines, what would be your biggest challenge if working here, what's your biggest achievement, and the like. More technical questions were addressed in the second interview.   Answer Question

Bioinformatician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research.

Interview

It took approximately one month for interview after I applied online. there was a online interview. The interview was originally planned for 40 minutes. Some reason the interview was finished less than 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply? Do you know about our research. Explain your research   Answer Question

Higher Scientific Officer Interview

Application

I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research in July 2015.

Interview

Was offered a date for an interview that I couldn't make (as I was out the country) so asked if it was possible to reschedule for a few days later and was told no problem, we will be in touch shortly with a new date. Heard nothing for a week or two so emailed to see if a new date had been reached for my interview to be told they had filled the position!

Very unprofessional, unapologetic and totally unacceptable. If you are offered an interview, you expect the best person for the job will get the job, not the earliest candidate to interview. I wasted days preparing for this interview and had provisionally arranged accommodation assuming I would hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• The only question I was asked was 'can you come on this date on an interview?'   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was badly managed, the panel was disorganised and I could see the interview questions. They had no model answers so how a fair rating would be given to each candidate was concerning. The service manager asked me a question about how I can influence management, and he read this from a scruffy piece of paper. For a HR interview it is alarming that the basic equalities and good practise was not followed. It seemed the organisation has not yet moved into modern HR practises and still stuck in the dark ages. I wasn't successful, however I am relieved as I could not work in such environment and organisation.

Interview Questions

• Do I have any issues working for an organisation that carries out animal testing?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research (London, England) in June 2012.

Interview

I had submitted an online application.
    I was contacted by email with an invitation for the interview.
    During the interview I gave the 15 min presentation and was interviewed by a PI and a senior post doc from the lab. Then I was introduced to lab members and shown the facilities.

Interview Questions

• they asked mostly about my previous research experience   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research.

Interview

Conducted by the P.I. of the lab that you apply to. I first had a phone interview and was invited to give presentation about my PhD research project to the P.I. and some members of the laboratory. I got introduced to everyone from the lab and was given a lab tour. The interview itself is quite informal.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were technical about my current work but I was asked what was my weakness.   Answer Question

SCIENTIFIC OFFICER Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research in July 2016.

Interview

Besides the usual questions on career history and development, it may serve you well to be prepared for scientific questions, and teams hiring for scientific positions will want to ensure they are recruiting staff with appropriate levels of background knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Describe the genetic mutation kinds usually found in cancer.   Answer Question

Interview

Applied online, got telephone interview a week after application deadline, invited for interview immediately after the telephone interview - had 2 weeks to prepare for this. Interview took 2 hours, with 30 minutes of presenting my PhD work to 3 interviewees. Got offer via telephone a week after interview

Interview Questions

• Where would you like to be in 10 years' time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, offer of salary based on number of years of experience and fixed by HR. The offer was above natiional average and so i accepted it without qualms.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.