The National Trust Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

The National Trust Interview Questions

Updated 1 Sep 2017

2.7

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process would involve an informal interview followed by meeting key team members and a tour of the work environment. However, I was out of the country and was able to interview over Skype.

Interview Questions

• Why work for The National Trust over a design agency for example?   Answer Question

Visitor Experience Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

Highly structured consisting of 4 different activities, a group exercise, a 1-to-1 interview, a marketing written exercise and a visitor feedback written exercise. There were 8 candidates interviewing for 1 position over 2 different sessions. Some candidates were already working for the National Trust which gave them a distinct advantage, especially in the group exercise and in the 1-to-1 interview questions.
    The National Trust states that it appoints on merit and this is shown in the interview process and the way that your answers are scored by a number of different people. This interview process is pretty dry, it is not about how you work or you as a person, it is purely about hitting the right words for the scoring system. The interview is all competency based questions so preparation is key!

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to someone enquiring as to accessibility of the National Trust property you are working at?   1 Answer

Communications Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

I was asked to prepare a 15 minute communications strategy presentation with one week's notice. After the presentation, there was a general interview including public relations dilemmas and how you would handle them.

Visitor Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

Online application easy to use. I prepared offline then uploaded and edited it before submission. Keep a note of salary etc because the info disappears when the job closes.
    I had 3 interviewers. I was offered and took good feedback when I didn't get the job. Looks a good organisation to work for

Interview Questions

• Had a written exercise which seemed designed to explore my vision for the property and to provide some discussion points for the interview.

I was asked a series of questions asking me for examples of when: I had shown effective leadership, team leadership, excellent customer service, given constructive feedback to someone etc

Interview was scripted with each interviewer taking turns.   Answer Question

Visitor Welcoming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sevenoaks, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Sevenoaks, England) in June 2016.

Interview

Very rushed, was not greeted by anyone at the reception or told that the interview was held in a room about a 15 minute walk from the reception up a hill, so had to find it on my own and arrived quite flustered. Entered with all my belongings and the manageress interviewing me didn´t give me any time to sit down and get comfortable but immediately laid out a pre-interview activity, although I had arrived 10 minutes early and hadn´t been told this would be happening.

Rest of the interview was with two manageresses one was fine and the other, of the main site who had given me the activity, rushed through and was fairly bolsh. She was wearing an extremely low cut top which I found extremely unprofessional and made me feel really uncomfortable. She also asked me questions about how I would provide a great, friendly customer service when she was providing none of that herself at all. She rushed through the questions and when I had answered my last one she stood up and said "Thanks for coming" before the other interviewer could say, "Hang on, do you have any questions to ask us?". Felt like I was just one of a number on a conveyor belt she had to get through and she made it clear she was quite tired. Tried to make friendly chit chat but she wasn´t interested and I got sent out of the room not knowing where to head to (I needed the toilets but she closed the door behind me in such a rush, couldn´t get me out of there fast enough it seems...)

I then didn´t hear anything for a week and emailed her to ask if the position had been filled. She just said she had been very busy and gave no apology, but no, I hadn´t got the job. I wonder if she would have even got back to me if I hadn´t contacted her. I think I had a lucky escape because I felt totally unappreciated as a candidate.

Membership and Welcome Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust in April 2016.

Interview

Standard questions on application regarding experience followed by a two part interview. the first part is a sales section the second is personal. depending on whom is conducting depends on whether this is an improv exercise.

Interview Questions

• Whay makes The National Trust the best visitors experience   Answer Question

Visitor Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Northampton, England) in April 2016.

Interview

A chat with two members of staff. Very formal, only a glass of water offered, and hostile body language. I got the impression that I had only been shortlisted for form's sake: I was applying for a job my boss was acting up into (which did not go down well)

No feedback was ever given afterwards, even though it had been promised.

Interview Questions

• Roleplay: what would you do if the toilets pack up at a National Trust site?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The National Trust (Worcester, England) in June 2015.

Interview

An informal interview process where the manager took me round the cafe whilst it was open. SHowed me around the kitchen etc asking questions on my expereince, hours i could commit to.

Interview Questions

• Have you had experience working in the catering environment previously?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newtownards, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The National Trust (Newtownards, Northern Ireland) in March 2015.

Interview

it was a semi casual interview, arrived in reception and waited, greeted by one of the managers and brought to interview room where another was waiting, both very friendly, they took it in turns asking me questions about previous experience and my skills and qualities etc whilst taking notes, was then told i would hear from them by the next night as i was the last to be interviewed.

Interview Questions

• How would you keep the restaurant tidy and presentable?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Reading, England) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed and friendly and the management I met gave good feedback. I received an offer by the next morning and enjoyed my initial training phase. I would recommend looking up the companies new strategy and change on organisational structure.

Interview Questions

• What does excellent customer service look like to you?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.