The National Trust Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

The National Trust Interview Questions

Updated 2 Apr 2018

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

There were 7 positions available - there was a group interview with 10 people altogether. Interviewed by 2 establishment managers + guided by current supervisor. took place 5pm - 7:30pm. Asked questions individually and in teams. Involved Roleplay and Presentation work.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of good customer service?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think people love quality homemade food using ingredients and produce we grow and produce ourselves?   Answer Question

Long Term Volunteer Ranger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coniston, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The National Trust (Coniston, England) in March 2018.

Interview

Assessment day - practical conservation work on National Trust land, consisting of clearing felled tree branches and then burning them. The task was to test our team work and ability to carry out practical tasks. There was an assessed walk through woodland where we were asked questions on the surrounding landscape and how to solve some of the issues there. Finally, there was a formal interview woth two existing members of staff.

Interview Questions

• This is a developmental role, aimed to improve your iwn skills. Hat do you think the biggest challenges will be?   Answer Question
    • If a tenant farmer was not happy with a task you were doing, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • If a visitor was opposed to a new off road track being implemented, hiw woukd you deal with the situation?   Answer Question
    • What do you want to get from the role and what will you bring to the role?   Answer Question
    • Identify three tree species in this forest?   Answer Question
    • What features can you see in the landscape in front of you and what work do you think the National Trust has carried out here?   Answer Question

Assistant Building Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The National Trust (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England) in March 2018.

Interview

150 candidates for 6 jobs... There is no pre assessment centre phone screening which would have been the most logical way to start the process so as not to invite so many people down to Swindon. Instead they invite 150 odd people across two days from all corners of the country out of your own pocket with no reimbursement(£120 train return).

On the day there is no real structured 1 to 1 or opportunity to speak to a panel of assessors away from the interruptions of other pushy candidates.

The day itself is a bit lax and not as strict or challenging as most assessment centres are. There were several tasks throughout the day the first of which was a quiz styled around the National Trust and itself as an organisation.. More of a trivia type thing than any actual competency to the role.

This was followed on by some talks; one of the tasks was the classic rank 10 set items in order of importance according to the US coast guard to help you survive a shipwreck in the Atlantic ocean.

The final task which was a bit out there involved crafting your favourite National Trust property from play doh and then speaking about the property for 5 odd minutes and what it means to you and why it's so good.

I understand this was only the second year of doing this on the end of the National Trust however as an organisation as big as this the process shouldn't have been so amateurish. Good luck in the future, there's a lot to be learnt when recruiting your future grads.

Visitor Experience Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

Application was online - straightforward process. They got in touch with only 2 days prior to the interview date, which led to some manic preparation. Interview consisted of about 2 hours: 1 hour of 2 written exercises followed by 45 min interview with panel. Staff were friendly throughout, which helped to put me at ease. For the written exercises, I was asked to respond to an email complaint and then create a business plan to improve on 3 areas of the organisation. Interview felt friendly and relatively informal - felt able to be a bit more relaxed. The panel were polite and allowed time for questions at the end - they made me want to work there.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider the challenges/ rewards of working with volunteers?   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of improving on the visitor experience in your current/ most recent role?   Answer Question

Catering Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust in February 2018.

Interview

Very informal interview on site. Interviewer worked down a list of standardised questions. Very friendly, felt more like a chat than an interview. Lasted for around an hour. Even though only one position was advertised, I got the impression they were looking to hire a small team.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you witnessed another member of staff being rude to a customer?   Answer Question

Membership & Visitor Welcome Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Derby, England) in February 2018.

Interview

Completed an application form, covering letter, and two 500 word questions online. After about a week I was invited to an interview.

The interview began with short presentation about my favourite NT property, then two interview question, a tour of the grounds, and group activities. For the first group task were were split into two teams of three and asked to build the tallest tower from leaflets (looking for teamwork and communication skills). The second task was to go through a list of 15 objects and choose 7 that would help us survive as a team in a jungle (looking for teamwork and presentation skills). After these group task there was a written exercise. We were given 10 minutes to answer three questions regarding a hypothetical family buying NT membership: What should they do today while visiting the property? What membership would be best for them? What properties should they visit when they return home to North Wales? This concluded the interview

I was told I would hear back by the end of the week and was offered the job over the phone that evening. I declined the job as I was waiting to hear back from other applications.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of when you have delivered excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • How does this role compare to your previous role?   Answer Question

Assistant Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haywards Heath, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The National Trust (Haywards Heath, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Very casual approach with Group exercises and quiz. Interviews deferred as not all NT staff available. Included tour around the facilities and gardens and opportunity to meet staff. Emphasis was on meeting NT values rather than competency for role.

Business Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chedworth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Chedworth, England) in November 2017.

Interview

1. Send off an online application form which is accessed through an online sign in process on their website.
    The National Trust website already states it will take up to three weeks to let you know if you have been successful for a face to face interview.
    They got back to me in a week and a half to invite me to interview.

2. Invited to a face to face interview with a task about how you would handle different scenairo on your own

The face to face interview was in a small room, interviewed by two people this felt very informal and also impractical layout of the room, Which lead me to feeling uncomfortable. They tried to outline the job role at the beginning but was still very confused in what the job role would entail. Only by the end of the interview did I seem to understand what they wanted this person to cover in the role. The two people interviewing started off stating they were looking for slightly different answers to the questions. Additionally, was not clear on really who you would be line managed by if offered the job.

When I answered questions at times I was challenged about the answer but almost felt like I was being bullied or not believed.

I had stated on my application process that I had a disability, this was not brought up if they would need to make reasonable adjustments to the working environment if offered.

Interview Questions

• Tells us how you managed to turn a negative attitude into a positive outcome.
      How does your current/previous role align and differ with this role.   Answer Question

Digital Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The National Trust in September 2017.

Interview

Very, very slow. Expect at least 6 - 8 weeks before an interview invite then another 2 weeks wait for interview. Be prepared for generic auto responses, and an unreliable careers site.

All in all, an outdated and impersonal process - although the Hiring Managers are a lot more helpful.

Interview Questions

• Lengthy form to fill in qualifications and school history, regardless of role.   Answer Question

Visitor Experience Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

Highly structured consisting of 4 different activities, a group exercise, a 1-to-1 interview, a marketing written exercise and a visitor feedback written exercise. There were 8 candidates interviewing for 1 position over 2 different sessions. Some candidates were already working for the National Trust which gave them a distinct advantage, especially in the group exercise and in the 1-to-1 interview questions.
    The National Trust states that it appoints on merit and this is shown in the interview process and the way that your answers are scored by a number of different people. This interview process is pretty dry, it is not about how you work or you as a person, it is purely about hitting the right words for the scoring system. The interview is all competency based questions so preparation is key!

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to someone enquiring as to accessibility of the National Trust property you are working at?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.