The National Trust Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 Jan 2018

2.8

Assistant Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haywards Heath, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The National Trust (Haywards Heath, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Very casual approach with Group exercises and quiz. Interviews deferred as not all NT staff available. Included tour around the facilities and gardens and opportunity to meet staff. Emphasis was on meeting NT values rather than competency for role.

Business Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chedworth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Chedworth, England) in November 2017.

Interview

1. Send off an online application form which is accessed through an online sign in process on their website.
    The National Trust website already states it will take up to three weeks to let you know if you have been successful for a face to face interview.
    They got back to me in a week and a half to invite me to interview.

2. Invited to a face to face interview with a task about how you would handle different scenairo on your own

The face to face interview was in a small room, interviewed by two people this felt very informal and also impractical layout of the room, Which lead me to feeling uncomfortable. They tried to outline the job role at the beginning but was still very confused in what the job role would entail. Only by the end of the interview did I seem to understand what they wanted this person to cover in the role. The two people interviewing started off stating they were looking for slightly different answers to the questions. Additionally, was not clear on really who you would be line managed by if offered the job.

When I answered questions at times I was challenged about the answer but almost felt like I was being bullied or not believed.

I had stated on my application process that I had a disability, this was not brought up if they would need to make reasonable adjustments to the working environment if offered.

Interview Questions

• Tells us how you managed to turn a negative attitude into a positive outcome.
      How does your current/previous role align and differ with this role.   Answer Question

Visitor Experience Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

Highly structured consisting of 4 different activities, a group exercise, a 1-to-1 interview, a marketing written exercise and a visitor feedback written exercise. There were 8 candidates interviewing for 1 position over 2 different sessions. Some candidates were already working for the National Trust which gave them a distinct advantage, especially in the group exercise and in the 1-to-1 interview questions.
    The National Trust states that it appoints on merit and this is shown in the interview process and the way that your answers are scored by a number of different people. This interview process is pretty dry, it is not about how you work or you as a person, it is purely about hitting the right words for the scoring system. The interview is all competency based questions so preparation is key!

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to someone enquiring as to accessibility of the National Trust property you are working at?   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process would involve an informal interview followed by meeting key team members and a tour of the work environment. However, I was out of the country and was able to interview over Skype.

Interview Questions

• Why work for The National Trust over a design agency for example?   Answer Question

Communications Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

I was asked to prepare a 15 minute communications strategy presentation with one week's notice. After the presentation, there was a general interview including public relations dilemmas and how you would handle them.

Visitor Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The National Trust.

Interview

Online application easy to use. I prepared offline then uploaded and edited it before submission. Keep a note of salary etc because the info disappears when the job closes.
    I had 3 interviewers. I was offered and took good feedback when I didn't get the job. Looks a good organisation to work for

Interview Questions

• Had a written exercise which seemed designed to explore my vision for the property and to provide some discussion points for the interview.

I was asked a series of questions asking me for examples of when: I had shown effective leadership, team leadership, excellent customer service, given constructive feedback to someone etc

Interview was scripted with each interviewer taking turns.   Answer Question

Visitor Welcoming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sevenoaks, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Sevenoaks, England) in June 2016.

Interview

Very rushed, was not greeted by anyone at the reception or told that the interview was held in a room about a 15 minute walk from the reception up a hill, so had to find it on my own and arrived quite flustered. Entered with all my belongings and the manageress interviewing me didn´t give me any time to sit down and get comfortable but immediately laid out a pre-interview activity, although I had arrived 10 minutes early and hadn´t been told this would be happening.

Rest of the interview was with two manageresses one was fine and the other, of the main site who had given me the activity, rushed through and was fairly bolsh. She was wearing an extremely low cut top which I found extremely unprofessional and made me feel really uncomfortable. She also asked me questions about how I would provide a great, friendly customer service when she was providing none of that herself at all. She rushed through the questions and when I had answered my last one she stood up and said "Thanks for coming" before the other interviewer could say, "Hang on, do you have any questions to ask us?". Felt like I was just one of a number on a conveyor belt she had to get through and she made it clear she was quite tired. Tried to make friendly chit chat but she wasn´t interested and I got sent out of the room not knowing where to head to (I needed the toilets but she closed the door behind me in such a rush, couldn´t get me out of there fast enough it seems...)

I then didn´t hear anything for a week and emailed her to ask if the position had been filled. She just said she had been very busy and gave no apology, but no, I hadn´t got the job. I wonder if she would have even got back to me if I hadn´t contacted her. I think I had a lucky escape because I felt totally unappreciated as a candidate.

Visitor Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The National Trust (Northampton, England) in April 2016.

Interview

A chat with two members of staff. Very formal, only a glass of water offered, and hostile body language. I got the impression that I had only been shortlisted for form's sake: I was applying for a job my boss was acting up into (which did not go down well)

No feedback was ever given afterwards, even though it had been promised.

Interview Questions

• Roleplay: what would you do if the toilets pack up at a National Trust site?   1 Answer

Membership and Welcome Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The National Trust in April 2016.

Interview

Standard questions on application regarding experience followed by a two part interview. the first part is a sales section the second is personal. depending on whom is conducting depends on whether this is an improv exercise.

Interview Questions

• Whay makes The National Trust the best visitors experience   Answer Question

Catering Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The National Trust in February 2016.

Interview

Not very good person interviewing did not seem interested and the interview was very short . The interview was very short and not many questions the. The interview was over

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.