The Open University Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at The Open University

3.1

Phd Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England).

Interview

The interview took over 30 minutes. There were two supervisors and one member of research management team. They were very nice and friendly. The interview focused on the research topic and research plan.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Open University in June 2019.

Interview

I applied online for the role, and as per their own guidelines had a response inviting me to interview within 14 days. When I arrived for the interview and was being checked in I could clearly see the piece of paper that told me I was one of five short-listed candidates and the names of the other applicants. The interview itself consisted of a situational exercise, short presentation and standard competency based questions. The panel were warm, and allowed the interview to run well over time - approx 1 hr and 40 mins. After the interview I waited four weeks to hear the outcome. No communication was forthcoming so I wrote and asked for the outcome and feedback. This generated a standard rejection email. Another followed promising HR would write to the chair of the panel requesting feedback. That never happen either, and no feedback was provided.

Interview Questions

• It was a standard competency based interview, but at one point I was asked a basic question directly related to my career history and the purpose of the job, meaning as well as discussing scenarios and how I handled them they were looking for evidence of understanding of knowledge and concepts related to the role. This may sound obvious, but the questions did not lead to having to outline very basic concepts - more how you would handle complexed scenarios related to those concepts.   Answer Question

Student Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Open University (Manchester, England) in April 2019.

Interview

Came through group recruitment from REED:
    Group interview where we all introduced each other before a quick presentation on the OU and what we know from research.
    Group assessment with other candidates consisting of a team work exercise then followed up by listening to a call, making notes of what was good customer service and where improvements could be made.

After the assessment, they would call you later in the day if you were successful passing that stage and conduct a quick telephone interview. Informed next day through agency that I was offered a role.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years/ what are your plans for the future?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a time you demonstrated excellent service?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep yourself motivated in a repetitive job role?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for the OU?   1 Answer

Service Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Edinburgh, Scotland) in February 2019.

Interview

Started with a 15 minute test querying about how you would handle a difficult situation. Followed by an interview with two friendly members of staff asking general questions about your experience.

Interview Questions

• Availability to work off site preparing for graduation during certain period of the year.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Greeted by a friendly and welcoming interview panel, asking you questions about why you applied, what you would contribute and how you see yourself progressing in the future. Straightforward, quick and gives a good understanding of job description and duties.

Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in June 2018.

Interview

Face-to-face interview where they ask basic get to know you questions. After this you take part in a role play over the phone where you respond to a student’s request over the phone.

Entry Level Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

Poor communication. I was sent a written task with only few days notice. The interview was with a panel of 5. The questions were vague and they clearly had set ideas of how they wanted you to respond - it also felt critical. They asked me what was so special about me given so many applicants. When asked about my publications it felt patronising and critical. I got the impression they enjoyed their position of power.

Interview Questions

• how would you support students to have good experience from a distance   Answer Question
    • how would you support tutors with their work   Answer Question

PMO Lead - Contracy Role Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Open University.

Interview

Single face-to-face interview, consisting of two panel interviewers . There was no HR interview as it was for a contract position. The role description provided by the recruiter wasn't accurate, so my interview preparation work was not relevant or helpful in the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• For examples of reporting challenges in a transformation programme environment.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in January 2018.

Interview

Efficient, quick and very warm and welcoming. Great communication from application being submitted through to interview and feedback. Everyone I spoke to was very supportive and helpful whenever I had a question. I also felt at ease during the interview.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in November 2017.

Interview

There was not an interview process for this job I was selected from a previous job I had at the Open University. I was then on a 6 month contract with Reed when I then got the position at the OU on a fixed term contract.

Interview Questions

• Went straight into the role.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.