The Open University Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Open University Interview Questions

Updated 4 Oct 2017

3.1

Associate Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at The Open University.

Interview

It took five months to be shortlisted for the post. When I was invited to interview, I was required to complete three fairly in-depth assignments with only a couple of days' notice. Most of the interview consisted of the panel going over my assignments and criticising them for not being done in exactly the way they would be with OU (I was given no access or guidance to OU policies when completing the assignments, so used previous teaching experience as the basis for my approach). It then took a further three months to be told I was unsuccessful, with no further information given. I have requested feedback but am not holding my breath.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience of handling a challenging student in a class (eg a student who expresses racist views)   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in May 2017.

Interview

I firstly applied online and got a rejection letter within 3 weeks

3 weeks after this, I was later sent an email inviting me to come interview (with grammar errors in it) and asked to prepare a presentation on a scenario they had laid out

On site interview consisted of an exercise to be completed within 30 minutes - was locked away in a hideous old fashioned office to complete - then had to give the pre-prepared presentation and answer competency questions afterwards.

Followed up after 3 weeks and was told that I didn't get the job, they had forgot to let me know!

Bad experience overall.

DiSC Project Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Two part process. Communication by telephone and email informing of the updates. One hour assessment followed by a formal interview lasting about an hour. Assessment was PC based with a series of day-to-day tasks set to test your skills. The interview was a three person panel including the PM, Head of the department and HR. Warm reception, friendly and professional team in both parts of the process. Received a decision by post; The position was revoked due to a change in the project funding.

Interview Questions

• At the end of the interview I was asked to answer in 20 seconds, why should we hire you for this position?   Answer Question

Student Recruitment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Open University (Manchester, England) in October 2016.

Interview

A face to face interview lasting about an hour with two staff members, and an assessment lasting around half an hour. Staff were pleasant and friendly and made an effort to stress they had not seen your application before interview. Time was taken to make sure you had given the question the attention you wanted and the staff gave well rounded answers to the questions you had.

Team Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in August 2016.

Interview

Through a temping agency, so just met with the employers for a very informal chat about my experience and when I could start. Lovely lady interviewed me, unfortunately, she didn't turn out to be my manager

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Open University in July 2016.

Interview

I first emailed the PI informally, had two skype calls with him and presented a draft proposal. The third skype call involved the head of department as well and after that, I had the job. The PI was fairly open to suggestions so he liked my proposal although it was not what he had in mind initially but he liked my original angle and thus chose me.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (London, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Very mechanical. Two people sitting across a desk. Lots of set questions with set "right answers". Only want to hear what's on the tick list.

I was asked to give a "mock" tutorial which they seemed bored with after a few minutes.Neither of the people on the panel seemed to know much about the subject that I was going to be tutoring in

Interview Questions

• Did I want to do only on-line tutorials or would I do them in person at unnamed locations   1 Answer

Associate Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Open University in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone and OU Live interview. Consisted of pre interview exercises: marking exercise, tutorial plan, then telephone interview and mock OU Live session. Panel of 2 interviewers.

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in November 2013.

Interview

Interviewed by 3 senior lecturers in my faculty. Asked about my professional experience of the specialist field and how I would teach the subject. I produced a lesson plan and discussed aspects of the particular module. I also was asked about how I would interact with students, especially those with disability.

Interview Questions

• What could I bring to the role of tutor with the university   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Open University (Milton Keynes, England) in September 2013.

Interview

There was initially a skills based in tray exercise, followed by a panel of interviewers asking competent based questions relating to the role. Also questions about yourself (experience, qualifications etc).
    The whole process took about 90 minutes

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have had to manage your time effectively   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.