Turn Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Turn Interview Questions

Interviews at Turn

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Turn.

Interview

I had two phone interviews.
    Applied online at University job board, received an email to schedule the first phone interview a few days later. The interviewers was very nice. The interview began by the interviewer introduced the company, the engineering team and the position. Then I was asked three technical questions. They are not the typical algorithm problems you see in Leetcode but closely related to the position you applied (I applied to the web application position).
    Received an email to schedule the second phone interview a weeks later after the first phone interview. I was asked two technical questions. Nothing special and too difficult but I took longer time to write down the complete solution. There fore I got rejected.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Turn.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from HR. Had a phone interview with one of their engineer. Question was easy but I wasnt prepared so I couldnt get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Find the duplicated number in an array.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Turn in October 2013.

Interview

The 2 round phone interviews are basic algorithm and data structure problems, like dp and cc150. The onsite consists of 7 rounds, 5 of which are technical interviews. No unexpected question. Just prepare it like any other technical interviews. I think Turn put much emphasis on skills matching and personal intelligence.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview process is ok but I still see room for improvement.

Before the interview, the recruiter sent me a document about the interview process. It states clearly they don't ask brain teaser. However, one of the interviewers started with "let's begin with a brain teaser". This interviewer needs to learn more about the process.

I didn't even mention in my resume about database experience. One of the significant reasons I was rejected is that I don't have database experience. The hiring team needs to review my resume carefully before inviting me for on-site interview. Otherwise it will be a waste of time for both.

Anyway, they can make decision very fast.

Interview Questions

• Here is the brain teaser question:
      Given integers as 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., N. Every time you remove an alternative element until only one is left. If you reach the end, just do a rounding. Return the remaining element. For example, given 1,2,3,4,5,6, you remove 1, 3, 5 and then 2, 6. So the remaining element is 4. What is the remaining element if N is 2000?   8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied online through the campus job board, and had two technical phone interviews and one on-site interview. The office has a nice location in the downtown area, and I liked the open atmosphere within the building. The interviewing process was quite intense. They even squeezed in a technical question during the lunch period. On a positive note, the interviewers had a lot to say about the company, which gave a better idea of what it would be like to work there. I was told near the end of the day at the office that they were still unsure of whether to move forward with my application. I appreciated the quick feedback, disappointing as it was. They then had a recruiter come out and criticize me about my attitude during the interview. She told me I was being flat and inexpressive, then criticized me further for not being more expressive in response to her criticism. I suppose at this point they didn't care to keep me interested in the company anymore.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was during lunch. I was asked a technical question literally mid-bite and asked to write the solution on the white board.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

The hiring process is smooth and fast. I took two rounds of phone interviews, and then was invited for an onsite interview. I met with 5 people there, four of them focused on technical questions, the SVP just poped up to say HI to me. After that, the recruiter came to discuss the offer with me. I felt comfortable, and enjoyed speaking with everyone. The interviewers are quite smart and open-minded. Sometimes, I provided answers which were different from theirs, but they were totally OK with it. Actually, they also taught me something during the interview. That's really impressive.

The recruiting team is the best I've ever seen. They are quite professional and considerate. They are always trying to help candidates, and make them happy. After I accepted the offer, they even mailed me a gift to celebrate with my family. That's so sweet!

I strongly recommend Turn, for it's culture(people), business model, and technology.

Interview Questions

• They asked a wide range of questions related with web development, both front end and back end. It's better to have some hands-on experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but they gave me an offer exceeding my expectation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

I got to know Turn at the university's job fair. After having a great talk with one of their engineers, I learned that Turn is a pre-IPO company and they are hiring people to help build huge-scale distributed system. So I decided to drop my resume and have a try. On the Friday of that week, I got an on-campus interview. The questions are interesting but really hard. However, the interviewer is nice and gave a lot of hints to help me solve the problem. After that, I got two phone interviews requiring online coding in a Google doc. Nothing too difficult. Then followed by an onsite interview. I really enjoyed the whole experience in the onsite interview. The recruiter called me one day before the interview to give me some tips which helped me a lot during the interview. During the interview, all interviewer are very nice. They asked fair questions and gave you enough time to attack the questions. There are 5 round technical interviews in total. They provided the lunch, which is also great! You will probably got the decision by the end of the day, which is super fast!

Overall, Turn is a fast-growing company and I will recommend people to have a try.

Interview Questions

• Nothing to difficult except the first on-campus round. Questions are related to basic data structure, graph, dynamic programming, design and etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A phone interview and failed.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

I was contacted via an email, attached with a large document about company details. After a few days, I had the first phone interview. The interviewer explained lots of information about what the company does. The questions were about algorithm and Java questions (since I'm comfortable with Java). After a couple days, I was scheduled for the second phone interview. The interview was more in depth in what I am interested in (and this would be my future team). Just a couple days later, I got a surprise call from the recruiter that they would like to invite me for an on-site interview. I had a talk with him so that we knew more about each other before the interview date. The interview appointment email was very informative, it also included profiles of interviewers.

The office was beautiful and well-styled. I had interviews with VPs, engineers from my future team, and finally the recruiters. The questions were not too difficult. Just make sure you revised skills you have written on your resume. Finally, I got the offer on that day! They worked extremely fast (and, I needed to make a fast decision).

Overall, I was very impressed with their interview process. They do care their candidates. I think Turn's interview process is the best I have ever had. The interviewers were very smart. They were the people I would like to work with. That was why I could make a decision really quick.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not unexpected. They were about skills written on the resume and basic networking skills. (e.g. Java, Javascript, how web browser works)   Answer Question

Negotiation

You need to make a really quick decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

No HR screening. Interviewer was engineering manager who contacted me to set up a technical interview. Looking at the pictures of the Redwood City branch, I could already tell they love foreign workers. I was greeted to a man who had a very thick accent. Asked very basic questions which I was able to answer, but when it came to the larger technical questions, he was unclear and I had to repeatedly ask him to repeat himself. Not a pleasant experience and lots of red flags raised.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.