Turnitin Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Turnitin

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied though a college career website and got an on site interview at school. Had a group interview with a phd student and two Turnitin employees. They were super nice and easy to talk to. Then I got an email asking for an onsite interview where I had three other interviews. Some of them I sat in an office and talked to other employees from different parts of the country.
    My rejection email basically told me that the team really liked me but I didn't have enough relevant courses.

Interview Questions

• Traversing a ordered binary tree and finding the nth biggest number.   Answer Question
    • We have an array filled with half X and other half all unique elements. How do u find X?   Answer Question
    • Basic questions about coursework.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview follows by an unperson interview that lasted 4 hours.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

In contrast to my experience with several preceding companies, my interview adventure with Turnitin was quite refreshing! It was a great pleasure dealing with friendliness and professionalism while everything was handled quickly and professionally.

Soon after my application, I had an initial screening conversation and, very quickly, an initial phone conversation with my prospective team leader. I was invited to visit the home office in Oakland within a very fews days. They hosted me for three hours during which time I met with two team leaders, two QA engineers, two senior developers and a VP of Engineering. To a person, they were friendly, helpful, answered my questions forthrightly and asked pertinent and innovative questions of me. As I left, I was told I'd be contacted the next day with a decision -- which I was! No keeping me waiting for weeks or sending a simple rejection email.

I was very impressed with the recruiting personnel who coordinated the entire process and the engineering individuals I met.

Interview Questions

• I've never been asked this before: "What one thing in your past are you NOT particularly proud of?"   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

Very comprehensive and extensive interview process. It was clear that the executive team was/is committed to bringing on talent that would be engaged and equally as committed to the mission.

Interview Questions

• Describe an accomplishment (at previous employer) and how did that impact the way previous employer conducts business today.   Answer Question
    • Every organization has it's own culture and positive attributes. From each of these areas, what are most important and why?   Answer Question
    • Every organization has its shortcomings and areas needing improvement. What are some areas that would make it a "no-deal"?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Turnitin.

Interview

Terrible. Took months and was a complete waste of time. They will make you sit and have all these phone interviews by phone and they won't even send you a letter saying Thank you for applying. This company treats interviewees like if they are nothing and they will sit and waste your time. Don't apply for them, if thats how they treat the interview process think about how they treat their workers. They asked too many personal questions that dont matter.

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Standard interview process. Now there are panel interviews but before it was just a few people who would interview the candidate. It is usually comprised of your potential manager, and a few other managers from different departments. The process is not long, in the past, and is fairly easy to navigate (in terms of it not taking an entire day to interview).

Product Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through Linkedin got a call the following week. The lady on the phone was super courteous and easy to talk with. In-person interview seemed like they were caught off guard or they forgot about the interview. But they were still polite and attentive.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a hard customer service situation.   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Turnitin (Gilbert, AZ (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a company recruiter by email and she conducted an initial phone interview. The next step was a phone interview with a manager. (It was done by phone because I don't live in California). They were very considerate of my time and schedule.

I am very impressed with the Turnitin products. As an educator I can really appreciate the benefits their products bring to students and teachers. With my background in education and education software sales, the role was a good fit, however they are looking for a local candidate at this time. (Position is in Oakland CA, I live in Arizona) I am hopeful to have the opportunity to work with this company in the future.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe my experience and how it relates to the position.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Turnitin (Oakland, CA (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

The phone interviews were on target and cordial. When you get a face to face interview it is in front of 3 people. Wait till you get the humorless, long-faced Relationship Manager who has a "I hate it here" attitude. I felt more like a kid being disciplined by my dad. I couldn't work here because the company reversed course on using remote workers. OMG stop using an unprofessional person to interview candidates, I wanted to walk out of the interview - would I work here - NO!!!

Compensation & Benefits Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Turnitin in October 2016.

Interview

Not long after applying I received a "thanks but no thanks" autoresponse from Turnitin's Jobvite. A few minutes later I got an email from their recruiter (also through Jobvite) saying I looked like a good fit for the role and requesting my availability for a first round interview. We spoke, it went well, and she set up a time for me to speak with the hiring manager. My conversation with the hiring manager also went well; we ran out of time so I couldn't ask any questions, but the hiring manager said I'd be coming in for an in person interview, so I could ask my questions then. I agreed and we ended the call on a good note.

Then I spent several weeks checking in with the recruiter, who was adamant I'd be coming in for an in person interview once the initial screening interviews were done. This went on for at least 3 weeks and to this point I'd say it was a positive experience (despite all the waiting).

Finally, as the fourth week wound down, the recruiter emailed and said they'd decided on another candidate so thanks for my time. She also left me a voicemail and invited me to call her back. I did, left her a message, and almost a week later haven't heard anything back. I am baffled at their process (reassuring me and keeping me warm instead of being honest) and wondering what happened. I feel completely disrespected and though Turnitin is a great company with amazing products, I doubt I'll ever apply here again.

Interview Questions

Turnitin Response

28 Nov 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the experience. Sometimes we determine through the interviewing process that we are looking for a different background, and that should have been... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.