Virgin Trains Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 34 of over 34 interviews

Campus Recruiting3%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Virgin Trains

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Virgin Trains

Interview

We had to apply for the job and if we had a successful application we were invited to an assessment day. It was a really fun assessment day in which we were all greeted with a warm welcome. It was a very inclusive of everyone that included team activities then we all got shortlisted and interviewed separately!

Interview Questions
  • If we could be a drink what would it be and why?
    Answer Question

Virgin Trains

Application

I interviewed at Virgin Trains

Interview

It was a 2 Stage interview process and I saw some people come out before me. The second stage is a creative test where you are set a task to complete then present.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Virgin Trains

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Trains

Interview

A bit long winded, invited back about 4 times, seemed a bit extreme as it was just a customer service role, was offered the position but declined as another position offered a contract more favourable.

Interview Questions
  • Interview based around basic Star assessment, group interaction as well as an initial 1st stage.

Virgin Trains

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virgin Trains in Feb 2020

Interview

Through agency and it was good company to work for which did make me become the person I am now which I am thankful for the experience learned helped me

Interview Questions
  • Previous jobs and experience within the roles

Virgin Trains

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Trains

Interview

Began with an online assessment where you recorded answers to questions into a camera which was fine. Fairly straight forwards ones you would expect for a phone interview and the odd more quirky one like “tell me about your best holiday?” Main interview was a normal competency based assessment, very little back and forth with interviewer but was more traditional reading of questions from a sheet type affair. I also was asked to prepare a case study presentation. A generally fine experience although I didn’t leave feeling fired up about the role and their feedback to me was extremely vague which has left me confused wondering what I could have done better.

Interview Questions
  • What process would you go through to forecast future demand?

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virgin Trains (Birmingham, England)

Interview

I have applied for customer resolution advisor the process was online application first, followed by online interview and if successful invitation for assessment at the training academy.Then if you're successful you will find out within a week

Interview Questions
  • To give examples of good customer service it all depends on the role you've applied for if a customer service role be prepared with lots of examples. Be yourself and use accurate examples showing why you are different and why you would be suitable for the role.
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crewe, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Trains (Crewe, England) in Sep 2018

Interview

Filled out online form with competency based questions. Then called to crewe training centre, via email invite. 10-15 of us, made us start the day introducing ourselves, filled out basic information forms, and as to why we wanted the job, then split us into random groups for “assessment” of a scenario they had picked, earth about to explode, only 6 people can travel to distant planet, you have to choose out of 15 characters as to why using their character skill set. Members of staff were apparently monitoring us, who seemed bored themselves. Was very enthusiastic in group activity. They then called us individually for 2-1 interviews, asked basic questions, and one competency based. A lot of unnecessary time wasting for a simple role, with people who already have customer service and retail experience. Told would let us know within 2 weeks. Emailed after 3 days to say unsuccessful as other candididates were more suitable. Virgin can employ ex offenders straight from prison, but discriminate against people who have clean records, and years of experience.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Trains (Glasgow, Scotland) in Aug 2018

Interview

Applied online. Got invited to an event in Glasgow where there were more than 20 other candidates. We sat in a room and then filled out a form about why we wanted to work for Virgin Trains and some other basic details. We then lined up and they took the form and gave us a number. Then for the next 2.5 hours we did some group tasks, such as "mingle" with the rest of the room, split into groups to make a presentation about words associated with the Virgin Brand and then we had to split the class in half, separate and work out a story board from cards we all had to describe to one another. All the time the staff were monitoring us and scoring us. I am not sure how any of it was relevant to the roles we had applied for. It felt more like a series of team bonding exercises for people already employed by the group. We didn't learn anything about the positions on offer or the company. It was a complete was of time. Only those with the loudest voices or funniest personality got noticed, the people who may have had actual skills were obviously sidelined if they were quieter, which is pretty unfair. No personal interview at all so no chance to actually find out about peoples abilities to do the job or ask questions. Apparently that is the second stage. Not a good way to select people IMO as you are totally at the mercy of who you're grouped with, there may be many good candidates who are not comfortable with group interviews who end up getting rejected and many poor candidates who get through on luck only to fail at the next stage. 1:1 Interviews should always be the first stage to properly gauge if the person is suitable.

4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Virgin Trains (London, England) in Aug 2018

Interview

Please read.. it's important to know what to expect: It started with a fairly quick response to the application (rec'd within a week), advising me I'd been successful in the application and could I complete an online video / Skype type interview. Firstly, I needed to download an app to do this as the link to an online based tool simply didn't work. Secondly, I'm not a huge fan of being on a camera and suspect I'm not alone in this... but, I undertook the process and was told I was successful and asked to arrange a 1-2-1 interview. I was given a time and day. NO flexibility was afforded to me whatsoever. It meant shuffling around a lot of meeting invites, but again, considered it worth it, so did this. I was apparently good enough to be invited back to a final interview with the senior Directors. Again, a very limited window of time was given, more understandably as Directors' time is often precious and limited. I also met a member of the team I was due to be meeting. Can I take this opportunity, at this moment in time, to say everyone I met seemed genuinely nice and I felt I could work with these people. However. I was then contacted a few days later to say "Virgin Trains are reviewing the current remit and scope of the role, so we will do this internal review and get back to you when this is completed!". I have spoken to VT on at least 4 occasions since. The last time 3 weeks ago. As I write this, I last went in to the final interview nearly 10 weeks ago and still, I have NO idea what the status of the job and application process is / was. Every single time I have spoken to their recruitment contact, I am told "we are still reviewing and will get in touch once we have finished the review!". Absolutely, completely and utterly unacceptable and if nothing else, proves the organisation, at a high-level, has no idea where they are heading. Ironic given they are a transport operating company!!

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Preston, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Trains (Preston, England) in Aug 2018

Interview

Online application which I was sucessful to be offered to attend an assessment day. Their were approximately 25 people on the day. We did introductions then worked in small groups asking questions to Virgin employees. Then we were all given 4 cards around a table and had to explain what we saw on each card. They had to be placed down in order on the table to tell a story from start to finish. This consisted of attendies shouting across the room to each other, seeing who could be the loudest and who could talk over the top of everyone else. I sat back, observed and felt disgusted at the fact it was clear the louder you could shout, the more chance of getting through to the next interview process. Appeared I was correct their..... So let's be an air hostess and come in uniform with nails to match Virgin colours, brag about how fantastic we are. Or perhaps a blue coat with jazz hands. Good luck people!

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Interviews

Virgin Trains Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Virgin Trains as 46.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.86 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Team Leader and Customer Service Assistant rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Customer Service Representative and Customer Service roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Virgin Trains takes an average of 23 days when considering 37 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Customer Service Representative had the quickest hiring process (on average 11 days), whereas Systems Engineer roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 30 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Virgin Trains according to 37 Glassdoor interviews include:

Group Panel Interview: 26.58%