Virgin Trains Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Phil Whittingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great"

I worked at Virgin Trains full-time

Pros

Friendly team, relaxed atmosphere, lots of work to do

Cons

Robotic job, can be boring, antisocial hours

2. "Customer Resolutions"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wages, free travel, discounts with other virgin companies. It used to be leads more fun and Work was really good a year back. No focus on quality now, only quantity.

Cons

Some stuck up Managers who go into meeting all day, but ignore you and fob off when you need help. Some are good but, and I know it’s notnnice to say it, the females ones are just rude and stuck up. No progress program to help my career. I used to get time to sit down and listen to my calls with my team leader but that never happens anymore. All one to ones are always in a pod which is like a booth on the floor so no privacy and everyone can hear everything.
    Team Leade think everyone is happy and always making jokes instead of just helping everyone with the work.
    Not enough staff so everyone is stressed and the customers are waiting for over a month. New staff get loads of attention and older staff are just basically ignored unless they need something from you. Phonecalls and live chats are too busy with customers who are upset that they have had to wait for ages. Sending batches of free tickets to hundreds of customers because of the backlog. This always happens and is bad service and managers don’t care about good service only about getting complain cases shut up and closed.
    Unachievble targets every day someone is on your back all day on how many cases you have closed yet and never count things like meetings or anything.

Moaning workmates who have nothing better to do than moan about the office. Twice a week we meet and it’s a cringe on because of this.
    The office is disgusting hot and cramped and there is no room anywhere. The computers are SO SLOW and all of the phones are broken and old and it’s all falling apart.
    The franchise bid is kept top secret so staff have no ide a what’s happening. The front line staff acting rude to customers ALL the time and then striking.

It’s not a fun or nice place to work and I think that’s a shame.

Advice to Management

Help take chats and calls. Get better equipment. Get more staff. Get a better office space. Some managers are great and really Virgin and motivate you but some are really bad. I say it before but most of the women here are stuck up, rude and clicky and don’t care about you or customers. Mostly stop this and care about the colleague. That’s what I would do.

"Marketing Executive"

I worked at Virgin Trains full-time

Pros

Good benefits and pension scheme

Cons

Lack of accountability for performance (or the lack of)

"Read your contract thoroughly before you sign."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Travel, thats about it.

Cons

Really unorganised
    Talk the talk but when it comes to giving what they say, they cant.
    READ UR CONTRACTS PROPERLY BEFORE SIGNING!
    FALSE ADVERTISEMENT

Advice to Management

Certain managers need their performance evaluated.

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Very sorry to hear that you're not happy. Employee engagement is very important to us so I would strongly recommend that you talk to someone about this and... More

"Customer relations case work"

I worked at Virgin Trains part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Went through a recruitment agency said work could last less time but finished after 3 months. I could come in do my job with ease

Cons

Temporary staff isolated. Main staff didn't get involved with us until towards month 3 to say we are not hitting targets. I was placed in a pod away from my team with a manager asking why I didn't complete much on one system one day. Little did I know that this was a warning before deciding to get rid of me. Rude behaviour and unprofessional making me feel uncomfortable by being patronising about this. Then only introducing themselves after 3 months which was strange

Advice to Management

Make Temps feel welcome full introduction don't just palm them off onto a member of staff that doesn't have any GCSE'S. Shr made the Temps feel belittled only because she 'knew the system' she would also pass nasty comments about Temps making mistakes or to other Temps to just tell tails and state how she thought she had the power to get people fired. But she was also a temp. So maybe have a manager managing the Temps who actually works directly for Virginia.

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and this will be fed into the Customer Resolutions team for consideration. All the best in your future career.

7. "Life so Far!"

Current Employee - CSA in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - CSA in Crewe, England

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Companies work ethic is based on customer interaction and quality of service. This is what matters to me, we both think the same way.
    Colleagues at all locations I have worked couldn't be more enjoyable or fun to work with.

Cons

None to speak of. To complain for complaining sake is not what I do. There's been nothing that has arisen that has not been resolved.

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we're very pleased to hear that you're enjoying working for us Long may it continue!

8. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time

Pros

Friendly team. Treated as a full team member from day 1. Good travel benefits.

Cons

Prior knowledge of the rail industry is helpful

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for leaving a great review!

9. "Loving it"

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment met some amazing people fantastic travel facility's and other benefits

Cons

shift work but I knew that before I applied & it doesn't bother me

Advice to Management

Do feel like some of the feedback customers and fellow employees give can be overlooked occasionally, think a personal face to face with the customers on board asking for feedback would bring some good outlook on the business rather than the email process a few days after as they can be overlooked.

"Overall a good employer"

Current Employee - Train Manager
    Current Employee - Train Manager

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ great pay and perks
    + plenty of management genuinely want to listen and take concerns into account
    + 90% of colleagues are great fun and care about making a difference
    + opportunities to get involved in other parts of the business
    + contrary to popular opinion - there is opportunity to progress in the company, but as higher-up jobs come up rarely due to low staff turnover then you need to put in the preparation and effort to get ahead.
    + Train Manager's role is brilliant - the fact you can be your own boss and make decisions that you feel are best, without someone looking over your shoulder.
    + Being a Train Manager involves a lot of safety critical responsibilities which is good for your development and leadership skills

Cons

- uncertainty and insecurity in the TM role due to the end of the franchise approaching and national debate about DOO. Uncertain messages being sent from leadership whether role will continue in current form and if safety critical responsibilities will be removed.

- you need to be able to deal with conflict especially regarding ticketing issues. This is the primary source of potential conflict with the public in the day-to-day job.

Advice to Management

Please clarify what the situation is for the Train Manager's role heading into the new franchise and what the vision is for the role.

26 Jun 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for your review. I will feed your advice into the appropriate people :)

"Badly organised company"

Former Employee - CSA in Preston, North West England, England
    Former Employee - CSA in Preston, North West England, England

I worked at Virgin Trains full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Benefits such as rail travel
    Good Holidays
    Options for overtime
    Paid every minute you work
    Strong union who are on your side!

Cons

Badly organised company
    Changes direction from one extreme to another
    Managers un-qualified for management positions
    Corruption in role progression
    Different rules for different people

Advice to Management

The pay and benefits of the job are good however the way the company is ran is a shambles!
    Any other corporate company has a HR department there for the customer - virgin trains HR are very much against!
    Very un organised with getting the information to the employees.
    Much of a divide between management and staff very You vs them approach your management shouldn't be like it was at virgin trains.
    Jobs advertised in house are never recruited for fairly and again go to one extreme to another when they feel like it often to make an excuse as they already know who they are wanting for the job before giving others fair chance.
    Unfairly treat people differently never consistent with rules etc some people get 9 lives compared to others &
    People end up in jobs which were never advertised and roles become created out of nowhere.
    Contracts for people never secure and know if they will have a job still from one month to the next!
    Would love a chat with richard as think he would be appalled at some of the goings on I experienced here!

10 Jul 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you haven't had the best experience with us. Running a company of this size and complexity isn't always easy and we are always working hard to drive improvements... More