Virgin Trains Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. "Life so Far!"

Current Employee - CSA in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - CSA in Crewe, England

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Companies work ethic is based on customer interaction and quality of service. This is what matters to me, we both think the same way.
    Colleagues at all locations I have worked couldn't be more enjoyable or fun to work with.

Cons

None to speak of. To complain for complaining sake is not what I do. There's been nothing that has arisen that has not been resolved.

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we're very pleased to hear that you're enjoying working for us Long may it continue!

2. "Read your contract thoroughly before you sign."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Travel, thats about it.

Cons

Really unorganised
    Talk the talk but when it comes to giving what they say, they cant.
    READ UR CONTRACTS PROPERLY BEFORE SIGNING!
    FALSE ADVERTISEMENT

Advice to Management

Certain managers need their performance evaluated.

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Very sorry to hear that you're not happy. Employee engagement is very important to us so I would strongly recommend that you talk to someone about this and... More

"Customer relations case work"

I worked at Virgin Trains part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Went through a recruitment agency said work could last less time but finished after 3 months. I could come in do my job with ease

Cons

Temporary staff isolated. Main staff didn't get involved with us until towards month 3 to say we are not hitting targets. I was placed in a pod away from my team with a manager asking why I didn't complete much on one system one day. Little did I know that this was a warning before deciding to get rid of me. Rude behaviour and unprofessional making me feel uncomfortable by being patronising about this. Then only introducing themselves after 3 months which was strange

Advice to Management

Make Temps feel welcome full introduction don't just palm them off onto a member of staff that doesn't have any GCSE'S. Shr made the Temps feel belittled only because she 'knew the system' she would also pass nasty comments about Temps making mistakes or to other Temps to just tell tails and state how she thought she had the power to get people fired. But she was also a temp. So maybe have a manager managing the Temps who actually works directly for Virginia.

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and this will be fed into the Customer Resolutions team for consideration. All the best in your future career.

5. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time

Pros

Friendly team. Treated as a full team member from day 1. Good travel benefits.

Cons

Prior knowledge of the rail industry is helpful

9 Oct 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for leaving a great review!

6. "Loving it"

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment met some amazing people fantastic travel facility's and other benefits

Cons

shift work but I knew that before I applied & it doesn't bother me

Advice to Management

Do feel like some of the feedback customers and fellow employees give can be overlooked occasionally, think a personal face to face with the customers on board asking for feedback would bring some good outlook on the business rather than the email process a few days after as they can be overlooked.

"Overall a good employer"

Current Employee - Train Manager
    Current Employee - Train Manager

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ great pay and perks
    + plenty of management genuinely want to listen and take concerns into account
    + 90% of colleagues are great fun and care about making a difference
    + opportunities to get involved in other parts of the business
    + contrary to popular opinion - there is opportunity to progress in the company, but as higher-up jobs come up rarely due to low staff turnover then you need to put in the preparation and effort to get ahead.
    + Train Manager's role is brilliant - the fact you can be your own boss and make decisions that you feel are best, without someone looking over your shoulder.
    + Being a Train Manager involves a lot of safety critical responsibilities which is good for your development and leadership skills

Cons

- uncertainty and insecurity in the TM role due to the end of the franchise approaching and national debate about DOO. Uncertain messages being sent from leadership whether role will continue in current form and if safety critical responsibilities will be removed.

- you need to be able to deal with conflict especially regarding ticketing issues. This is the primary source of potential conflict with the public in the day-to-day job.

Advice to Management

Please clarify what the situation is for the Train Manager's role heading into the new franchise and what the vision is for the role.

26 Jun 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for your review. I will feed your advice into the appropriate people :)

"Badly organised company"

Former Employee - CSA in Preston, North West England, England
    Former Employee - CSA in Preston, North West England, England

I worked at Virgin Trains full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Benefits such as rail travel
    Good Holidays
    Options for overtime
    Paid every minute you work
    Strong union who are on your side!

Cons

Badly organised company
    Changes direction from one extreme to another
    Managers un-qualified for management positions
    Corruption in role progression
    Different rules for different people

Advice to Management

The pay and benefits of the job are good however the way the company is ran is a shambles!
    Any other corporate company has a HR department there for the customer - virgin trains HR are very much against!
    Very un organised with getting the information to the employees.
    Much of a divide between management and staff very You vs them approach your management shouldn't be like it was at virgin trains.
    Jobs advertised in house are never recruited for fairly and again go to one extreme to another when they feel like it often to make an excuse as they already know who they are wanting for the job before giving others fair chance.
    Unfairly treat people differently never consistent with rules etc some people get 9 lives compared to others &
    People end up in jobs which were never advertised and roles become created out of nowhere.
    Contracts for people never secure and know if they will have a job still from one month to the next!
    Would love a chat with richard as think he would be appalled at some of the goings on I experienced here!

10 Jul 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you haven't had the best experience with us. Running a company of this size and complexity isn't always easy and we are always working hard to drive improvements... More

"csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Euston, England
    Current Employee - CSA in Euston, England

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

accountable authority to make decisions

Cons

impatience with deficiencies of staff

Advice to Management

put yourselves in the shoes of your staff

12 Jun 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for taking the time to review. Your advice is appreciated and will be considered in our plans. We would always encourage you to give open and honest feedback to your Manager too if you... More

10. "Virgin Trains Are One Of The Best Out There..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Euston, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Euston, England

I worked at Virgin Trains part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay and company ethos.
    Amazing colleagues and support.
    Fun place to be.
    Good opportunity for overtime.
    Company benefits and they are open to ideas which can implement change.
    Good inhouse promotion/ progession system.

Cons

Customer Service have unsociable hours.
    Late breaks.
    Little support from Management with abuse and violence from customers.

Advice to Management

Change break timings- make these earlier- not 7 hours in.
    Do more against Customers when abusing staff, as staff don't have the option to help customers if they miss their train anymore.

12 Jun 2017 – Lead Talent Partner

Thank you for your review. Its really great to hear your experiences of working with us. Your feedback will be passed to the relevant person for discussion. Regarding abuse from customers, we are... More

11. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Virgin Trains full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary is good, and there are also other benefits including free train travel and discounts at other Virgin companies and partner brands. There's some great people working here - it's pretty diverse and there's people with years of experience, as well as lots of newbies keeping it fresh. We're encouraged to have fun as well as to work hard.

Cons

The relationship between those who work onboard and at stations can be a bit strained - there is, unfortunately, a divide although I have never been sure of the reason for this. The rail industry is also heavily unionised so it can be very difficult to make changes to benefit the customer. There is also a % salary increase each year - which at first glance is a good thing, but I really think we should be rewarded for our contribution to the business rather than those who do the bare minimum getting exactly the same as everyone else.

Advice to Management

Be stronger than unions.