Winton Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Winton Group Interview Questions

Quant Interview

Interview

Submit the resume online. Talked to HR first on the phone, then scheduled a video conference with hiring manager. The interviewer was late for 10 minutes. Apparently, he was not prepared and simply asked me to introduce my previous projects one by one. After I finished one, there is no further question but just turn to next one. Finally, give me a probability question to solve. I provided the solution but the interviewer only responded "yes" then left. I don't even have a chance to ask some questions. Totally wasted my time.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Winton Group in June 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone call from the HR in a week, and then they arranged a askype interview a few days later. The person in charge was very friendly.

Questions asked were:
    1. Why I wanted to leave academia and get into finance. You should really prepare this one well. My answer wasn't what they expected and I felt that was why I didn't get to the next round.

2. Asked my research experiences on my resume.

3. Some math/probability/stats questions. Not difficult. Most of them can be found from Zhou Xinfeng's interview book.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Winton Group (London, England) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview is quite technical and you are given a problem statement to resolve. They then asked me technical questions related to the solutions I had provided. They working a lot on Angular.js , GIT, Sharepoint, React.js and other frameworks

Graduate Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Winton Group (London, England).

Interview

First is a telephone interview for around 20 minutes. The recruiter asked me about me background and experience following my CV. After several days, I was invited to take an inductive reasoning tests, 21 questions and need to be finished within 43 minutes. The questions were all pattern matching questions and most of them were straightforward. Just one day before the onsite intervew, I was given a phone interview testing C++ knowdedge. There are 20 questions about very fundamental C++ concepts. The recruiter will read the questions for you and wait for your answer. This process is very fast, finished within 30 minutes. Then I was invited to take an on-site interview. There were four rounds, one with the recruiter about more detailed information on your CV. It followed by three 1-to-1 technical interview, on software engineering, statistics and Computer Science respectively. All the interviews are very technical. You are expected to solve questions in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, find the closest common parent node of two given nodes. (They want O(logn) complexity with no containers)   Answer Question

Graduate Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Winton Group (London, England) in June 2013.

Interview

Excellent hiring process and excellent HR.

Expect to solve programming problems to prepare the interviews, then during the interviews to be asked technical questions. Questions are related to your background and experience. The interviews are lead in a light atmosphere. Expect to meet 7-10 persons. People I met expected an intuitive answer (yet rigorous) to demonstrate I really mastered the topic.

Overall, an extremely positive experience. I found the questions much easier than those asked in the investment banking industry, the HR are extremely helpful and interviewers were really nice.

Interview Questions

• You have studied XYZ, then explain topics ABC from the field XYZ (replace XYZ by statistics, probability, programming and ABC by the main topics of the book/lecture in which you studied XYZ).   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told me how much they would pay me and I accepted.

Scientist Interview

Interview

Very professional but friendly, initial phone contact followed by a rather simple first interview on basic statistics and a second interview on data analysis. The second interview is also quite straightforward but beware of taking it too lightly as they are adamant that the candidate is rigorous in his/her answers

Interview Questions

• Provide statistical criteria for when a data-set can be fitted by a normal distribution   Answer Question

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winton Group (London, England) in September 2008.

Interview

Recruited from a campus event. Called a few weeks later and had a phone interview. It went for about 45 minutes. The interviewer was very nice and helpful. Most of the questions were technical but also some questions about the cv (20%).

Interview Questions

• Definition of eigenvalues/eigenvectors. Requirements for stability of a dynamical system.   2 Answers
    • What is a Choleski decompostion?   Answer Question
    • What are Kalman filters?   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

First did a data analysis exercise (which has 3 tasks to do). They suggest that it takes 8hrs and you submit a response and the code in a week's time. If that works you have an interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Distribution of the maximum of two correlated Gaussians.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winton Group.

Interview

Invited to do a technical test with two questions in first round interview. The first question is about conducting a research on company merger activity. The second question is about a portfolio value calculation which involves some stock investment in different currencies. Company activities involved in are regular dividend, special dividend. Then they ask to calculation the final value of this portfolio in a unified currency. The questions are not difficult, but could catch you off guard due to some calculation in details. And the attention to details is exact quality of candidate they look for.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winton Group (Oxford, England) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview took just under an hour, the initial half hour was with HR and another member of staff from the London office over video call. The final half hour was with the team manager.

Interview Questions

• Read an article and answer the questions related to the article.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.