Winton Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Winton Group Interview Questions

Updated 11 Dec 2017

2.9

Quant Interview

Interview

Submit the resume online. Talked to HR first on the phone, then scheduled a video conference with hiring manager. The interviewer was late for 10 minutes. Apparently, he was not prepared and simply asked me to introduce my previous projects one by one. After I finished one, there is no further question but just turn to next one. Finally, give me a probability question to solve. I provided the solution but the interviewer only responded "yes" then left. I don't even have a chance to ask some questions. Totally wasted my time.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Winton Group in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. It took a couple of weeks to arrange the interview. I had a phone interview and I interchanged a couple of emails with a member of the human resource staff. I was told that my CV was passed to the technical department, but they never contacted me. I didn't receive any feedback from Winton, and the staffing agency finally told me that Winton had declined my application.

Interview Questions

• 1) Please give a short overview of your experience with data modelling, highlighting the type, size and source of the data, the problem/question you were addressing and the technologies you were using. (200 word limit)
      2) Please give a brief overview of your research area and your individual contribution in this field. (150 word limit)
      3) What is your motivation for working in finance/applying to Winton? (100 word limit)
      4) What statistical methods are you currently using in your work? (100 word limit)   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Winton Group in June 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone call from the HR in a week, and then they arranged a askype interview a few days later. The person in charge was very friendly.

Questions asked were:
    1. Why I wanted to leave academia and get into finance. You should really prepare this one well. My answer wasn't what they expected and I felt that was why I didn't get to the next round.

2. Asked my research experiences on my resume.

3. Some math/probability/stats questions. Not difficult. Most of them can be found from Zhou Xinfeng's interview book.

Data Processing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Winton Group (Oxford, England) in May 2017.

Interview

50 min test sent by email - true or false reading comprehension on financial documents - not tricky at all, followed by two back to back interviews in Oxford.

Interview 1: with someone from HR about you, your CV and why Winton etc

Interview 2: with a lead processing analyst and your future manager. A few questions on an article very similar to the test which you read there.

Interview Questions

• Something interesting not on your cv?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Winton Group (London, England) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview is quite technical and you are given a problem statement to resolve. They then asked me technical questions related to the solutions I had provided. They working a lot on Angular.js , GIT, Sharepoint, React.js and other frameworks

Data Processing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winton Group (Oxford, England) in July 2016.

Interview

Had an initial telephone interview. Then had tests to do online. After this was called to office in Oxford for an interview. Given tests similar to the tests I had to do online. Was asked to talk about a topic that I was asked to prepare for beforehand.

Graduate Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Winton Group (Oxford, England) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a 3h interview…. I met 4 people.
    1st section involved learning more about the company and how I would fit in the team, what I would do in my role etc. Nothing too hard just make sure you have basic knowledge about the company and what they do.

2nd person conducted a character interview. He really wanted to know about my university experience in detail. Everything about my all the units I did, about my dissertation and other experiences within that area. Many times I was asked to describe technical details and how I went about designing previous projects.

Afterwards he picked at everything I had written in my CV, for example he wanted to know how I went about carrying and planning out previous projects and presentations.
    Then he really got into what I am interested in and looking for? As he wanted to know find out where I would fit in the team and if the position is a good fit for me. It was a very thorough and detailed process as he really wanted as much detail as I could give him about every single area.

3rd section involved a lot problem solving. He asked about future contracts and issues that arise when using them? What are some of the factors that need to be taken in consideration?
    Then I was asked to apply the same questions to investment bonds, and see how that scenario would change if this was the processes in question?
    At the end he drew up a simple data table and asked me to explain and think why could this anomaly be correct or not? Again they were looking for as much detail as possible.

4th part involved some data analysis. I had been given a piece of paper with numbers and dates, which was a simple table of prices and purchase count against date.
    I was asked to look at it and see if I can identify anything wrong or odd with it? If yes why? They were trying to catch me out a little bit some parts so look out for that.

Afterwards I was asked to describe and draw what happens to company stock price if it gets bought by another company? And why?

At the end the interviewer had asked me to write some simple sudo code on how to compare and check if two pieces of data are the same.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?
      Tell me about yourself?
      What interests you about data?
      What do you want to do as a job?
      A lot of detail about my dissertation and how I made it.
      Again a lot of detail about all the relevant univarsity units.
      What are bonds? What is a future contract and what are some issues or important areas with it?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winton Group.

Interview

Invited to do a technical test with two questions in first round interview. The first question is about conducting a research on company merger activity. The second question is about a portfolio value calculation which involves some stock investment in different currencies. Company activities involved in are regular dividend, special dividend. Then they ask to calculation the final value of this portfolio in a unified currency. The questions are not difficult, but could catch you off guard due to some calculation in details. And the attention to details is exact quality of candidate they look for.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Winton Group (Zürich (Switzerland)) in June 2015.

Interview

I got contacted by HR and I got one phone interview (1h) and few email exchanges to provide some anwsers to some questions about my skills, motivations ... Then I got an interview in their office in Zurich (1h). The first 30 min, I got interviewed by a reaseracher that clearly didn't prepare the interview and he was trying to explain a real problem he had. I manage to find a possible solution. Then I got an interview with the team leader. No question about my CV but only questions on stats. He clearly said at the end of the interview that he was not interested. I have the feeling that the London HR were trying to impose a profile of candidate that the urich office didn't want

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Winton Group (Zürich (Switzerland)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn, had a reply the next afternoon. There were questions to answer, then a ~20 min phone screen with HR, then an onsite interview with HR and then a more senior scientist. Took about a month but went smoothly. Interviewer was friendly and interested. Questions very much on the theory side of the spectrum rather than the applied side.

Interview Questions

• boolean logic riddle, statistical methods, AR models, predictors   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.