hmv Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

hmv Interview Questions

Updated 22 Jun 2018

2.2

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in June 2015.

Interview

A panel of 3 interviewed me. Since I was transitioning from the legal to the marketing field, they asked why did I made the career choice, and the rest of the interview centered on my interests and abilities. All interviewers were inquisitive but friendly.

Interview Questions

• Here's an interesting one: how would you have dressed if you were not in suit?   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in May 2014.

Interview

Two Interview Rounds -
    First interview was with the HR Manager and the Head of Marketing. First interview was approximately an hour and a half - informal atmosphere albeit a little disorganised - interviewing room was in use although booked and we had to find another, my CV was not there - thank god I had brought another. I had to fill out a aptitude test on arrival. The questions were direct and probing - a lot about my background and what I would do in certain situations.
    Second interview was with the HR Manager, Head of Marketing and another member of the marketing staff. Interview was approximately 45 mins. it was focused on my personality and how it would fit into the team, my background and my future plans.

Interview Questions

• As I have not travelled, would this become an issue if I decided to leave to pursue this.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at hmv.

Interview

Get a phone interview after few days of application, scheduled a office interview at a week later, nice hr people.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Johns (South Africa)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at hmv (Saint Johns (South Africa)) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview was far from normal. There were no store or management related questions. Interviewer was more interested in telling his story about his advancements. I felt that I was ignored as soon as I walked in. There was no eye contact at all.

Store Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at hmv (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in November 2010.

Interview

Know what HMV stands for (His Master's Voice), Know which products they sell. I was asked 3 reasons why a person would tell you that 'they're just looking', remember theft is one. I was asked how I would assist an elderly lady shopping for her grandson, offered gift card, headphones, etc. I was asked why I want to work there, hint 'i've always wanted to work at a cd shop' is not a good enough answer. they are a multi media shop and mention that. also they are over 120 years old, it's a british company, and canadian, not origionating in america like most people think.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate anything, this was an offer for a temporary seasonal job with potential to be a regular employee after the season.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (London, England) in February 2012.

Interview

3 stages, run of the mill interview questions, tell us about your weaknesses and how you overcome them. first was with store manager, then head office then HR. General competency based questions, do you work well in a team etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your weaknesses and how you overcome them?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland) in August 2013.

Interview

Pop culture general knoledge quiz, just to see which section you are best suited to followed by an interview. Interview was fairly informal but. I didn't have to dress too smartly either. I went smart casual.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at hmv (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in November 2013.

Interview

The manager hired all of us on the spot! She wanted us to work on the floor to see how well we do the first week, and make her decision to keep the strong ones for the holidays.

Interview Questions

• No questions, just had to fill out our government employment forms!   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Truro, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at hmv (Truro, England) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was called for a group interview three days later. The other applicants put me at ease, and it was great to work as a team throughout the interview process.
    We first discussed the main ideals of "What makes a great sales associate" - a good team exercise.
    Then we were given a brief tour of the store, and given opportunities to volunteer to "sell" a product to the assistant manager, leading the interview process. They were very welcoming and encouraging, especially towards one applicant that appeared to be struggling with the pressure of the interview; we all appreciated the neutral outlook, and it wasn't easy to see if any 'favourites' had been made during the interview itself.
    The interview finished after an hour or so, and we were given the chance to ask some questions as a group, which were all answered well. We were thanked for our time and I enjoyed the experience!

Interview Questions

• Name three David Bowie albums.   Answer Question
    • Who won best male actor at the 2016 Oscars?   Answer Question
    • What's the best-selling first-person shooter series?   Answer Question
    • What could you sell with this product to increase the average transaction price for sales like this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had no need to negotiate.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed and easy-going, but it did involve a fair amount of teamwork and contributing to discussions.

I applied online and received a phone call the next day, offering me to a group interview. The other applicants in the group were very friendly and polite, so this put me at ease. The interviewers/assessors were also very friendly. However, I was nervous as I usually am at any interview!

We were each asked which superhero we would be and why, and then had to split into two teams and organised a pile of films in order of their dates of release. They assured us that if we got this wrong, it wouldn't jeopardise an offer for the job. Then we had to write down a list of what we thought made great customer service, and explain this to the group.

Next, we had to go out on to the shop floor and select two items that would suit our chosen customer(s). We then had to present these items to the group, and the interviewers, and "sell" the items to them. We then had to tell the group the last item we bought and why we bought it.

Overall, it was a good experience! I just wish I was a bit more talkative. I think the more you know about film and TV, the better chance you have of getting the job! The interviewers seemed very impressed with a few members of the group who talked non-stop and appeared very confident with their product knowledge.

I also expected the interviewers to ask more questions about our competency, skills and experience but this was asked during the application process, so they probably didn't need to know any more.

Less than a week later I received an email offering me the job. So I guess it didn't matter that I came across nervous after all. Thanks HMV! :)

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.