hmv Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

hmv Interview Questions

Updated 14 May 2018

2.2

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at hmv (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Very cool interview. The manager was easy-going, we talked about my interest in music, my studies. I was nervous at first, but then very relaxed. It was very natural and I felt confidence because the manager was easy-going.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at HMV?   1 Answer

Interview

one on one interview was fairly relaxed asking alot of basic interview questions, they explained the role and requirements for the job and your availability, they got back to me within four days, I received an offer by phonecall

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidstone, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at hmv (Maidstone, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and within 5 days was invited in for a face to face interview. It was very easy but they didn't even bother letting me know whether I got the position or not. This is unacceptable, if the applicant made the effort to come in to meet you it's a common courtesy to at least email/call them back.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Temp Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland) in November 2017.

Interview

Overall a very quick process. I applied on the website which involved filling out my work and education history and a few questions such as "Why do you want to work at HMV?" and about my knowledge of television/films/games/etc. A day later I was phoned asking if I was available for an interview the next day. It was a casual interview but I still dressed smart as giving off a good impression is always good. They asked about previous experience, talked about my film degree and favourite films, and why I wanted to work for the company. Later on that day I was told I got the job and started a couple of weeks later for the Christmas period.

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Nottingham, England) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview began by answering questions alone for a short time. The purpose was to test knowledge of what HMV offers. This includes details about the membership card, answering what genre a particular artist is categorized under, some headphones that are sold, etc. Feedback is not given but I know that there are several questions I did not answer correctly, yet I got the job, so it is not mandatory to answer all questions correctly so long as the interview goes well.

The one on one interview following this was fairly basic. Several general questions regarding strengths and weaknesses, past experience etc, and what the company can offer as an employer, plus some store specific questions. Knowledge in all areas of the store is not essential, though they do recruit people who have a genuine passion for products that are sold. the interview was wrapped up within half an hour.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the new releases that you have purchased or are looking forward to purchasing   1 Answer
    • As a customer, is there anything that you would improve within the store.   1 Answer

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at hmv (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The manager was so nice, really put me at ease with how relaxed he was, he told me about the job role and how many hours it was. He then made me talk through my cv and explain my job roles. I had to give scenarios of when I had bad customer service. I was then asked if my managers at all my jobs had any good qualities to say about myself what they would be and what weaknesses they think I had. I was in there for about an hour just asked about the store, talking about different positions. Just be really chatty and know the definition of customer service inside out.

Interview Questions

• Talk me through your cv and explain your job roles at every job   Answer Question
    • If I was to ask your manager at 'so and so' if you had any good qualities what would their answer be   Answer Question
    • If your manager at 'so and so' thought you had any bad qualities what would they be   Answer Question
    • What was a situation of how you handled a bad situation at a job (difficult customers)   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Straight forward interview, handed in a CV one day, got a call back a few days later, went in for an interview (about 15 minutes.) Got a call about a week later saying I the job.

Interview Questions

• As me typical things, previous experience, what I knew about the company, why I want to work with them, what department I would be best placed in (Music, Movies, or Tech) and why, how to deal with conflict in the work place, etc..   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Stevenage, England) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job online and recieved a call a wee or so later asking if I would like to attend an interview. The interview itself was very relaxed and the staff were lovely.

The problems occured when I found out whether I got the job or not. I recieved an email at the same time as a phonecall, but missed the call by a few seconds. When I called back, I was told that I had not been successful, yet when I checked my emails, I had a job offer. This caused me a lot of distress and confusion as I'd had my heart set on the job for years, and to be told I didn't have the job, then recieve an email saying that I did was not an ideal situation for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website, got a phone call about a week later asking if I could come in for a group interview with 4 other people and dress smart/casual. Arrived on the day of the interview and was taken in to a room with 2 others while we waited for the other 2 and once they came we got started.

They did a couple ice breakers and then most of the rest of the interview was product knowledge and sales mainly. Had to go out in to the shop and pick out 2 products each to try and sell to them, asked a couple questions and it was done.

Overall it lasted around an hour and was a pretty fun interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for hmv?
      What makes you a good choice to work at hmv?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at hmv.

Interview

When I got to the store I was informed that this was a group interview, without any previous warning. After wondering around the store doing some quiz where we basically we had to browse and find names of artists, some of them quite difficult and impossible to find.

After the interview process, I was told that successful applicants will be informed by phone whereas those who were not successful will receive an email. After the weekend passed, interview was on a Tuesday, I called as I had neither a yes or no answer. I was told that all people was informed, at which I told them that they completely forgot about me. She was very rude and said that was unfortunate. I will never considerate working with them. If they can't organise a proper recruitment god know how they are going to manage shifts, schedule and my wages!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.