2U Reviews

Updated 2 Jun 2020

3.5
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek
Pros
  • "Incredibly fun environment (monthly happy hours, snacks, company meeting (great speakers and performers)(in 41 reviews)

• "It would be difficult for me to find better benefits from another company: solid healthcare options, unlimited PTO, flexibility when needed(in 40 reviews)

Cons

"Poor leaders leading others, lack of culture, lack of business"

1.0
    Current Employee - Vice President - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

some nice staff, i can't think of anything else... but i need to make up the word count.

Cons

Excessive politics, gossipy colleagues, uneasy feeling - please see other none fake reviews as they provide a very accurate picture of the business!

2U2020-03-05

March 23, 20202U Communications

We appreciate you taking time to share your perspective. We take this and all feedback seriously, especially allegations of fake reviews. While we encourage our employees to post how they feel about 2U on multiple social media platforms, we do not tell our employees what to say nor do we create accounts and post fictitious reviews ourselves. One of our guiding principles is to be candid, open and honest - to this end we invite and take onboard ALL feedback. If you’re interested, we encourage you to reach out and have a conversation with your manager or your HR Business Partner about your specific experience so that we can continue to improve our workplace practices and our company.

2. "Roll the dice!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, fast pace. Work hard, play hard mindset.

Cons

Everything depends on the team you land on.

2U2020-06-02
  3. "Great company to grow!"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

Working hard and being creative will help employees excel here.

Cons

Management is a boys club.

2U2020-05-25

May 28, 20202U Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute. While you're now a 2U alumnus, you'll always be a part of the 2U story and we're grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!

4. "I am very proud and honored to be a "2ute""

Current Employee - 2U Student Engagement

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Attending a great university gave me a better life. From that personal prospective, it's very satisfying to support others in meeting their educational goals. Working for a company who's mission is to "Improving lives through better education" makes me proud. Outside the personal satisfaction of helping others, I find joy in the 2U culture. Our CEO hosts daily "DDOTT" meeting, Leadership offers meeting to be transparent, and in general, the culture of 2U is modeled around its employees. It would be difficult for me to find better benefits from another company: solid healthcare options, unlimited PTO, flexibility when needed. 2U even has a program that pays for education for employees, unlimited PTO.... the list goes on Final note, since starting my career at 2U I have learned the true meaning of "If you love what you do than you never work a day in your life." Having a passion for my job, Finding best friends at work, and leadership that supports me to be my best makes 2U a great place to work.

Cons

2019 was a transitional year for 2U. It was not an easy or great year for the company. The stock tumbled and the company went through a restructure. However, through this transition the company made itself stronger. The TOP leadership changes are proving to be a success. They appear to be more unified, making smarter decisions for the business and you can see it in the overall company performance.

2U2020-05-18

May 28, 20202U Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to write 2U a review on Glassdoor. It's always important for us to hear what we are doing well and what we need to improve upon. We're thrilled to hear you're enjoying the culture and benefits at 2U and we are especially proud of impact the DDOTTs have made in bringing our global 2U community closer together. Thanks again for your feedback. It's very much appreciated.

"Best Company I Have Worked For"

Current Employee - 2U Team Leader

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Every company says they care about their employees. 2U actually means it and acts on it. - I report into one of the C-suite executives and he is the best leader I have ever worked for. He is authentic, transparent, sharp, knows the weeds but is not in the weeds, and clear in his communication. He knows how to build camaraderie among his team members. He drives results and check in with his team members just to see how we are doing. - A CEO with an incredible amount of heart, passion, and vision. He is transparent and honest and his enthusiasm for the business is contagious. He attributes any success of the company to the employees, and any stumbles he attributes to himself. That is the best kind of leader. - I have been particularly impressed with the company's response during this COVID crisis. The empathy and care for employees, and the continued commitment to putting our students and university partners first, has made me proud to be a team member.

Cons

I'd love to see the company continue to become more comfortable with a workforce that is remote and does not live near a 2U office.

2U2020-05-08

May 12, 20202U Leadership

Employee feedback like yours is important to hear as we continue to grow and evolve our culture. We're thrilled to read your reflections on our leadership, transparency and recent COVID response, thank you for taking the time to share more about your #Lifeat2U.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited paid time off, management cares about you, they create an environment for everyone to hear heard, CEO plans fun events to keep all employees engaged.

Cons

Goals can sometimes be difficult to achieve(depending on the institution you represent) , navigating upward movement

2U2020-04-29

May 6, 20202U Leadership

We really appreciate the time you've taken to share your experience of #Lifeat2U and are thrilled to hear you feel supported and enjoy our people-first culture.

"Tokenizing POC"

2.0

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, easy job responsibilities, office perks, networking

Cons

Tokenizing of persons of color. Prior to my resignation I’d say I had Several strong/mentor-esque connections with folks in the office. Upon my resignation (for a career change) and After attempts to remain in communication with those individuals “so committed to my professional success” it has been a ghost town. I’ve reached out several times and it seems as though these folks were just patronizing me as I added To the office diversity. While during my time in the office other POC had challenges, I was Seen as the “good POC” and not met with these challenges. However my departure has uncovered the true nature and intentions of those in leadership.

2U2020-05-14

"Tough time to be at 2U"

2.0
    Former Employee - Student Success Manager

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of younger people if you are looking for a social environment.

Cons

Failure by management to hold cross functional departments accountable- thus the accounting missteps. Management is also filled with friends of the original founders rather than experts in the field. Heavy turnover of leaders, especially females at the higher levels. Choices are often made without students in mind. No checks and balances (on University end) regarding the $$$ spent on marketing and admission due to rev share model. Stagnant pay for Student Services roles.

2U2020-05-09

May 13, 20202U Leadership

While you are no longer with 2U, the feedback you provided is disconcerting and we take this and all feedback seriously, especially allegations of discrimination. We fully investigate all complaints, no matter the nature or channel in which we receive them, and take whatever corrective measures that our investigation reveals are appropriate. We’d very much like to learn more about your experiences. Would you be willing to speak with us? If so, please reach out to feedback@2U.com and reference "my Glassdoor review" so we can talk.

9. "2u Review"

Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance they offered

Cons

Upper management never seemed to be on the same accord

2U2020-04-28

April 29, 20202U Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute While you're now a 2U alumnus, you'll always be a part of the 2U story and we're grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!

"Positives and Negatives"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Unlimited PTO - Good people who, overall, are enjoyable to work with. You'll probably meet at least one person who becomes a good friend. - Office environment is pretty nice. Lots of snacks and caffeinated drinks, and game rooms for when you take a break. - Leadership is very transparent about the business. - IT HelpDesk team is AMAZING. Best IT team I've ever worked with. - Lots of social opportunities. Good place to get to know people if you are in your mid-20s to mid-30s. - Actively striving to address issues around diversity and inclusion. They know they're not quite there yet but are trying to actively take steps. - Very inclusive company. I've seen them embrace diversity in all areas except perhaps age (more on that below). - Business days between Christmas and New Year's are paid days off for the whole company. - Over time, have become a lot more remote-employee friendly.

Cons

- VERY top-down culture. In my experience, they don't empower people below them to make decisions. Decision-making is concentrated at the top. - Analysis paralysis. This company likes to "meeting" ideas to death, and each leader wants a say in the decision. This leads to "too many cooks in the kitchen" situations. - Very mistake-averse company with a fixed, rather than growth, mindset. In my experience, this is not a company where you can recover from a mistake. You will be remembered for that mistake. - Lots of POLITICS. The upper levels consist of power games you have to play to win influence or have a seat at the table. It's generally two crowds: the crowd of seasoned veterans who have been at 2U a decade and infuse every decision with the way things "used to be"; and the crowd of externally hired senior leaders who strive to turn 2U into a run-of-the-mill "good" company. It's a tug of war between the two sides, and each side plays its favorites. - 2U used to be a place for rapid career growth. But then they promoted people way too quickly, leading to lots of inexperienced first-time managers. Now the pendulum has swung in the other direction. 2U is overcompensating for managerial inexperience by hiring for higher-level talent almost exclusively externally. If you are hired here, don't expect many opportunities to advance. You may be coached to "stay in your swim lane" (actual feedback I've received). - Lack of age diversity. I don't remember too many people working there who were over the age of 40. Just the SVPs and above. - Strange choices around spending. 2U used to have multi-million dollar lavish company parties in places like New Orleans and Las Vegas, and invited celebrities like Flo Rida, Michelle Obama, and Diana Ross. Now they are struggling to get a handle on their finances. - Very focused on the short-term. I don't think they really have a vision for what the company will look like in the long term. - Company is very reactive and not very proactive. - CEO is a good guy and very charismatic. But I think he's out of his element as the company gets larger and starts to diversify its offerings. I don't get a clear sense of what the strategy is coming from the top, and I'm not convinced that Chip knows where they're going next. **NOTE: These comments are from my experiences at the company pre-COVID-19 and don't reflect any decisions made during or post-COVID.

2U2020-04-27

May 13, 20202U Leadership

We appreciate your thorough feedback. At 2U, we are proud of our people-first culture and the importance of having candid, honest, and open conversations about the business. Your insights into some of our growing pains, especially as we become a global organization, are valuable to understanding the areas we need to focus on as we expand. We are a fast-paced company and acknowledge that there is room for improvement. Employee feedback (both current and former) is critical to hear and we welcome the chance to learn more about your time at 2U. If you are willing to chat, please contact us at feedback@2u.com and reference “my Glassdoor response.”

Found 568 reviews