ANS Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 March 2019

3.9
Paul Shannon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company makes a real effort to be a great place to work - congrats on the recent award btw :)" (in 5 reviews)

• "Extremely friendly employee base who are always willing to help you out no matter how basic the questions" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Banter can sometimes be taken too far" (in 3 reviews)

• "We never see management much in our wing as they are always with sales" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Honest Review"

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Manchester, England

I have been working at ANS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. The company actually genuinely cares about it's staff and customers.
    2. They don't flog a dead horse, if it's not working they change it.
    3. They understand the market and it's reflected in our success.

Cons

1. The pace can be dizzying if that's not your jam, then ANS may not be for you.
    2. Sometimes it can feel stretched, need more people.
    3. Room for more improvement/investment in internal processes (Expenses, Project Tracking etc).

Advice to Management

Firstly lets get this out the way, I have a managerial role (but a low level one!) and have been at the company 10 years. This is no place for fake or false statements.

I started at the bottom and worked my way up, I've had over half a dozen roles and never felt that the company has held me back in moving between technologies and roles.

I believe in being honest, and that's part of the reason I'm at ANS, it's a company where you can have frank conversations with people regardless of level. It's the closest to a true meritocracy I've seen to date in a company I've worked. This needs to be preserved.

Pay closer attention to resourcing levels as running things too tight contributes to turnover and is both costing us money and time. Improve legacy, inefficient internal systems/processes using the same methodologies that we deliver projects to customers, invest in resourcing them and it will also give a resourcing cushion to aid future growth.

2. "Honest review"

I worked at ANS full-time

Pros

Good working environment if your face fits
    Paul Shannon is fantastic,

Cons

If your face doesn't fit you will not keep your job, even if you are really good at it
    Managers that do not know how to Manage
    Caty environment, too many people trying to push their way to the top and stamp on anyone that gets in their way

Advice to Management

Look at how all staff are treating not just the ones who make a lot of noise.

3. "Feedback"

I have been working at ANS full-time

Pros

Great team and people
    Good Ethos
    Approachable management to CEO level
    Good benefits
    Quarterly company event for business transparency

Cons

None - keep doing what we are doing

Advice to Management

None

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of ANS. I agree with everything you've written, but then I obviously would!!

Thank you for acknowledging the benefits, the People... More

4. "Great small company, acquired by ANS"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Manchester, England

I worked at ANS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment, friendly collaborative style

Cons

no real variation or cross functional working

Advice to Management

best of luck for future

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a positive review about your time at ANS, it is much appreciated.

We have to take on the chin your belief that your (I'm assuming you are talking... More

5. "Good Place to start your career"

Current Employee - Team Member in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Manchester, England

I have been working at ANS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good career development
    Lots of Opportunities
    Good People to work with

Cons

Mixed Upper Management some good some poor
    No real attention or support for the Managed Services Wing
    Poor Pay in comparison to the rest of the industry

Advice to Management

More focus on the managed service side of the business
    Better pay

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review about ANS, this is genuinely one of our key avenues to look at improving our business for all team members.

Great to see that you... More

6. "Good but not great"

Former Employee - Apprentice Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at ANS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, friendly coworkers

Cons

Little career progression and management

Advice to Management

None

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to review ANS, it is very much appreciated.

I see that you were an apprentice software developer at ANS, it is a real shame that we didn't manage to show you the... More

7. "Great leadership and great people!"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at ANS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ANS hires the right people for the job and ensures that the training is all put in place for the right people to develop to help the business grow as a whole. The leadership within ANS really pushes exam completion and team building exercises to ensure everyone knows one another and ensure we all understand each others business needs.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review, it is a rare treat for current team members to take the time, so thank you.

It's great to see the desire of the ANS board to continue... More

8. "Account Manager"

I worked at ANS full-time

Pros

Great company that has the right strategy and mentality in a difficult marketplace to differentiate. The marketing and tools given to you are beyond their competition and they promote from within.

Cons

Far from 9-5 as is with most sales jobs. Flexible working could be better.

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Firstly, thank you very much for leaving such a positive review, we appreciate it.

We have certainly matured in the engagement between Sales and Marketing and taken it to the next level, so it is... More

9. "Great tech skills and vision but challenging work environment for non sales"

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at ANS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great dedicated technical people supporting our clients, good vision and understanding of what good looks like from support side. Academy is great initiative as is company charity work.

Good grasp on the market and cloud. Not being distracted by other technology, do what we are good at.

Cons

We never see management much in our wing as they are always with sales. We are like the invisible brothers actually holding it together when sales promise the world, underspec and fail to understand what delivery looks like. Thus we pick up the fall out from the many disgruntled clients.

Also a culture of excess and face fitting if your in sales, where they are still living in the 80's like it WoWS boiler room at times. They in the main dont grasp the technology and rely heavily on the solarc to actually do the majority of work for them.

While some may like the fleet of expensive sports cars appearing in our non existent car parking spaces it is not that good for day to day staff. We do need even more parking.

Perks as pretty much as expected but limited to as close to mandatory as possible. Other cloud business not far away offer far better wage, perks and you see a regular slow trickle away. Talk about take over being whispered. You can try and keep everyone happy with a free bar every quarter but market rate pay going to make people happy.

Advice to Management

More visibility in our wing, less look at me from sales, better pay and pension and tangible recognition not just a name on a wall.

16 Jan 2019 – Chief Executive Officer

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review about ANS, even though it is a tough read. I will attempt to address all your points.

It is great that you believe we have got... More

10. "Great place to start a career in IT."

Current Employee - Technical Analyst Apprentice in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst Apprentice in Manchester, England

I have been working at ANS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at ANS for 6 months now as an apprentice.
    I though because I was joining as an apprentice I would be cast aside into a classroom however it is quite the opposite.

We receive weekly training and integration into the service desk allowing us to learn on the job and train to pass our first professional exam, this was the ITIL foundation.
    I am now training for my next exam Microsoft technical associate, server administration.

The people are amazing, helpful and always willing to help if you have a question.

I love it here. #comeonans

Cons

Banter can sometimes be taken too far.

Communication isn’t he best.

Upper management is hardly ever visible in the managed services wing.

Advice to Management

It would be nice for upper management to be occasionally move visible in the managed services to wing.

More frequent updates from the office of the CTO team as I find their work interesting however we only see occasional updates on yammer or at the all staff.

Continue the apprenticeship for future years as it helps as a stepping stone for people who have a interest in IT to get a career in the industry.

Easier way to make suggestions and comments for management.

Keep up the great work.