Adaptive Financial Consulting Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2021

Found 30 of over 42 reviews

4.4
Adaptive Financial Consulting Co-Founder and CEO   Matt Barrett (no image)
Matt Barrett

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

1y

works at

Deloitte

Harshest feedback you’ve ever received?

6,950

602 Comments

Consulting

129K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Adaptive Financial Consulting~833383
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Still a great place to work

Sep 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caring management Smart colleagues Able to contribute to decisions and strategies Generous with "extras" like regularly paying for days out / nights out / team activities / breakfasts / lunches etc etc Amazing D&I initiatives

Cons

Some teething problems as they scale from a small to a medium sized company

2. 5.0

Fantastic Culture

Nov 2, 2020 - Tech Consultant in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with, very supportive environment.

Cons

None that spring to mind.

2 people found this review helpful

Chief Talent Officer

Short but sweet - thank you! I'm genuinely glad to hear that this is your experience, particularly during Covid when it's so much harder to maintain the strength of our bonds with each other. As I'm sure you know, it's something we are paying a great deal of attention too and really, the next few month's focus (outside of more strategic work) is getting us all through this. Take care and if there's ever anything I can do to help, just ping me on Slack. Marie

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A nice company with nice human beings

Sep 19, 2020 - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

So far I have had a very positive experience working in Adaptive. A few of these pros are from another era (before the virus hit us), but I think they are good material for a valid judgment nonetheless: - Want to relocate offices? They will make it possible if it's within their reach. I relocated away from my home country and they did all that was within their grasp to make it easy and comfortable. - I've met some really, really talented people there that have inspired me to learn and lose the huge impostor syndrome I had when I joined. Both in my field of work and outside of it. - They will value your potential, help you grow, and will reach to you if they see you struggling both professionally or personally. I cannot stress that last (personally) point enough, they really put any effort into ensuring their employees are okay - especially in such difficult times. - There is no intimidating, convoluted hierarchy. You don't have 50 middle managers with obscure position names doing sod all in circles on top of you. - At the same time, there are practice leads with strong knowledge and common sense. These practice leads are usually flexible on their choices and decisions (as long as it's attainable, applicable, and makes sense) and follow a good ethos.

Cons

- Not a lot of Kubernetes going on.

Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for such a thoughtful and kind review - we appreciate it enormously! I'm glad that working here has supported you in your aim to deal with imposter syndrome - did you ever watch the brown bag that one of your colleagues ran about that? It's something that so many of us deal with but never talk about. Thank you also for your kind comments about our supportive environment - we genuinely aim to make Adaptive a great place to work for everyone and want people to feel comfortable asking for help (which is why we've made such a noise about mental health - the more we talk openly about it, the more we encourage those around us to do the same). I'm really pleased to see the trust that you have in the leadership team regarding Covid; everything that we have done has the best interests of our colleagues in mind, which is why we recently announced that our global offices would be open to volunteers only until January of 2021 when we'll look at the scientific advice available and decide how to proceed. Thanks again for your review, it's good to know that in these tough times, you're happy here and getting the professional and personal support you need. Marie

4. 5.0

One year anniversary

Sep 9, 2020 - Graduate Software Engineer Consultant in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

It has recently been a year since I started the graduate program at Adaptive in London and it has gone by so quickly! I will share my thoughts and experiences after a year of working here. Some quick pros: - Great office space, great views (free drinks + coffee + snacks + games) - Great socials + activities (Adaptive bake off, cocktail nights, movie nights, games nights, summer + christmas parties and many more..) Coming from university with a technical background, I did not know what to expect when joining Adaptive but found myself pleasantly surprised. It instantly felt like I had joined a community and was encouraged to not be afraid to ask questions. Everyone that I encountered were very happy and keen to help out. The way the grad scheme was structured was good. We started with the basics and gradually became more complex. We were encouraged to work agile and in distributed teams (LDN + BCN and NYC + MTL). For a more detailed description of what we did day to day there is a blog post that explains this. At first, I was quite overwhelmed with the amount of work and independent study I had to do but gradually was able to manage my time better to deal with workload. I would honestly say I have learnt more at Adaptive which I get paid for than I did studying 3 years at university which I paid to do. After around 4 months, I was put on a complex project with a big client where my team was extremely good, helpful and friendly. I transitioned from a front-end developer to full-stack which was one of my goals. After around 8 months, I was put on another project with an even bigger client which I am enjoying very much. The biggest pro of Adaptive which really stood out to me was how much they care about the individuals. Any problem that you may have they are willing to work with you to help solve it. Early on people around me including HR picked up on me not being myself and invited me to talk about it. After I told them about the issues I was facing at the time they were extremely empathetic and practically forced me to take some compassionate leave. That's something that is rare to find in a company. HR also contacted me and others personally during lockdown to check up on how we were feeling. Overall, after a year I have definitely seen myself improve not only technically but grow as a person.

Cons

- Graduates with less technical experience and in other offices may not have got the support that they needed early on and felt a bit isolated. Although, this is something we have discussed and pretty sure improvements have been put into place for the next grads. - Still waiting on visiting other offices...

2 people found this review helpful

Chief Talent Officer

We're genuinely thrilled with this review - thank you! The graduate programme is source of pride for us and when we're in a position (post-Covid) to do it right, we'll definitely run it again. It's been such a pleasure for me and others involved in the scheme to get to know you all and to support you. Thank you for your kind words about the HR team - it's so satisfying to hear that we have a real impact on how you feel and how you feel about working at Adaptive. I agree with you on your point in the 'cons'. We recognised that and made some changes to be far better in terms of supporting and guiding our graduates in all offices and to make them feel part of the Adaptive team. This brings me back to my first point - the in-person aspect of the grad scheme is so important for the comfort, growth and sense of belonging for our grads. So much social capital is built as a result of sitting down together to work through problems or bumping into each other at the coffee machine. If you have any feedback on your experience of the scheme that you think would help us to do better, I would love to hear it, so please feel free to contact me or anyone else involved in the scheme. Thanks again for this thoughtful review. Marie

5. 2.0
    Current Employee

Struggling to stay positive with Adaptive

Sep 15, 2020 - Senior Consultant Developer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

When the going was good, it was pretty good. The London office was in a nice location and the atmosphere was cordial. Valiant leadership amongst the crisis, if somewhat facile.

Cons

Covid has really tested Adaptive's model and I struggle to see how we will recover. We build a luxury trading product that is not deemed a necessity and with costs being under scrutiny within our primary client base: Finance, I share worries with other colleagues that this game is coming to an end. Our approach to be expert in one area has historically paid and now we're a guppy in a shark pond of bigger and better companies with more strings to their bows. My colleagues and I fear 2021 will be much worse for Adaptive and maybe terminal.

Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post your review, the opportunity to reflect on our messaging, convey our actual situation and culture is always a welcome one. I want to first of all address the most inaccurate and damaging, if not corrected, aspect of your review. Our revenue figures just do not support your assertion; the company is in a good financial position and continues to be cautious and logical on all financial matters. Did we take appropriate steps during the hardest period of Covid to maintain that position? Absolutely. Did we talk about those steps during company updates to make sure that our colleagues are updated? We absolutely did. If you have any questions about the stability or future of the company, you can always contact any of our founders directly to discuss. We have nothing to hide and as you know, we expose our revenue figures in our company updates, so I’m not really sure where this concern about our stability or future comes from. I disagree on your point about Covid testing our model; sure, there were some tough times and opportunities for reflection during the particularly difficult days of Covid (not just for us, for millions of companies) but we have come out of it stronger, engaged new clients, secured more work with existing clients and extended many existing engagements. Crisis brings with it concern but it also presents opportunities: our clients and industry don’t always have time to wait to get business-critical solutions to market and our accelerating technology, Hydra Platform (you termed it a ‘luxury trading product’), helps them to do that. Previously, clients generally had two choices: product or consultancy and so this third choice, an accelerator, presents them with an alternative. Creating something new, creating a new option for our clients and industry and investing significantly in that, was always going to be a risk, always going to present challenges and never be a certain stream of significant revenue. Having carefully researched the market and taken advantage of our collective knowledge of the industry, it’s proven to be a smart move and one that we continue to invest in as it continues to engage our clients and potential clients. Indeed, to not branch out, to not innovate in such a fast-moving, demanding industry, to assume that the way it is, is the way it would always be, would be facile. Furthermore, solutions such as Hydra Platform, also present great opportunities to our colleagues to work on such a pioneering project. The London office is still in a nice location and the atmosphere is still cordial to be super clear! The leadership is indeed, valiant, I absolutely agree. However, I disagree on the ‘facile’ comment; as mentioned in previous reviews (and above), our leadership has been candid and realistic throughout Covid (and previously). We work with a very experienced board of directors who offer great support and guidance to our leaders and that support and guidance is both welcomed and acted upon. Whilst it’s often frustrating to receive feedback like this, I am very grateful for the opportunity to correct these misapprehensions and thank you for that. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, or any member of the Adaptive leadership team. Marie

6. 2.0

Instability and meh...

Jul 24, 2020 - Software Developer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Started well, though deteriorated greatly since. Snacks and historic staff functions, before Covid.

Cons

First: It is very disappointing to see all of the critical reviews raised by colleagues being removed. Then it's very clear from the duplication of words in the other reviews that these are from HR or the Directors. It's frankly duplicitous to keep only the positive reviews and I know from talking to colleagues that this seen as very poor. The cons: -> It started well, though when the shine came off, it became obvious this company is very similar to other mid-range consultancies in terms of opportunities and fragility. -> The industry is going through a very rough patch and whilst our leadership talks a positive game, the cracks and fragility are obvious. It is very worrying for all of us, especially when we were told things were more robust than they clearly are. -> HR works like a propaganda machine. Not just through the deletetion of negative reviews, but also in the vacuous communications towards well being. -> There's a lot of arrogance and misinformation towards the tech stack we use. It's frankly not that great, and useful for a narrow purpose, and behind the firms of Silicon Valley or immature to many better open-source projects. The biggest con is that Adaptive is just not as good an environment as many of the emerging consultancies or the bigger top-tier consultancies...... -> This is a gig business and the advantages of doing the gigs through Adaptive Financial are not obvious enough for the reduced compensation compared to working directly for the client. I expect this review to be deleted with all of the other critical reviews. Glassdoor, you should be evaluating all companies that only keep high scoring reviews.

9 people found this review helpful

Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It's tough reading some of your points but nevertheless, we have to accept that this is/was your experience and learn from it. I want to address a key point, Glassdoor does not allow companies to take down reviews willy-nilly - there's even a note above this review that says: "Your trust is our top concern, so companies can't alter or remove reviews"! Both of those recent reviews, that I responded to, were, according to Glassdoor, removed by the posters; we have no control over what reviews remain on this page unless the review includes things such as confidential data (and neither of those reviews did). Furthermore, the accusation that all positive reviews are from my team or the directors is just not true. If it were the case, my team and the directors have done a poor job with too few glowing reviews! The comment about our mental health communications being 'vacuous' seems an overly keen effort to find something negative. We openly discuss and address mental health, we support staff with services such as our EAP programme and Mental Health First Aiders, as well as specifically addressing mental health issues that could have been brought on by Covid and lockdown. Our aim is not to be cerebral or to dazzle people with our knowledge of mental health issues, it's to encourage our colleagues to seek support and for many, these communications have been massively beneficial and have encouraged them to seek help. Regarding your comments on our tech stack - we make no apologies for it being designed for a narrow purpose. It’s designed to build front office trading systems, not general purpose systems or platforms. We use many open source projects where it is relevant but there is actually very little support in the open-source space when it comes to building fault-tolerant and low latency event-driven systems. To your comment about the industry going through a rough patch, of course it is! Covid and the associated lockdown have impacted billions of people and millions of companies - we're no different. The one thing that we have done, contrary to your point, is to be very transparent about how it's impacted us. After some of our updates in the early days of lockdown, I had people coming to me surprised at how candid Matt, our CEO, had been (he didn't put a gloss on anything). To your note on pay, we run quarterly salary reviews based upon the extensive and exemplary work of my team in scouring the market for data to make sure that we are paying well. Finally, we have no intention of deleting this review, or any others. There is clearly nothing here that breaches any of Glassdoor's policies and so, like every other review, it's left here for people to read and to make their own decisions about our company. Marie Downes, Chief Talent Officer

7. 5.0

Pretty Awesome

Jul 1, 2020 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Available and interested leadership Good work/life balance Interesting work and plenty of support Something that has really stood out for me during Covid, is how transparent the Adaptive leadership has been. Sure, they've let a few contractors go and have had a few tough times but they've always been upfront about everything going on. There seems to be a concerted effort to keep staff feeling united and informed; there's no smoke and mirrors, no pretence that the company has been unaffected and this has had a real impact on how I feel about working here. You really see the true colours of a company during the bad times, right? In that case, I'm definitely going to stick around because they've shown me that they lead well, are smart and give a damn about their team.

Cons

Some work definitely needs to be done on supporting the structure of the company as it scales but they are aware of that and HR and leadership are on the case.

Chief Talent Officer

Yes, you're absolutely right. We do need to do a lot of work on the company structure and without this, there are and will be a few headaches - I think it's relatively typical of a small, growing company but we can and are working to do better. If you ever want to talk with us about the work we're doing on this, please feel free to speak with me, a member of my team or a director, we'd be delighted to talk you through it. Covid has been a tough time for us all and presented so much FUD. We're exceptionally proud of our colleagues, who have rallied together and seamlessly switched to WFH. We have been open about how Covid has affected us and our industry because really, to pretend otherwise to a group of smart people would just be ridiculous and disingenuous. Thanks for the advice too, we'll keep it front and centre! - Marie

8. 5.0

Fantastic overall

Jul 2, 2020 - Delivery Lead in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The company genuinely cares about their staff. I feel like I have some insight into this from a manager perspective, so I know it is deep rooted and genuine, rather than just another company saying it and not really feeling it - Lots of perks; things like awesome offices with games tables and great views / locations, free fruit / tea / coffee / biscuits, lots of staff lunches, dinners, drinks, a yearly “Office Day” where everyone comes together to work on a fun non-work related project for a day, random team event days when a team has worked really hard on something (e.g. a couple of teams have had the opportunity to go on an amazing day out involving a treasure hunt, rooftop lunch, speed boats, escape rooms, and a dinner with cocktail masterclass, all in one day), a summer party and a Christmas party… really, there is loads - Travel is encouraged, so you may get a chance to visit other offices if you have team members / clients in those locations (Barcelona, Montreal, New York, London) - Flat structure, so if you want to speak to anyone in senior management positions, you not only can easily, but they encourage you to do so - They hire really smart people, so it’s very rare to get frustrated with your colleagues, and you can always rely on them doing a great job - I’m not technical, but have been assured by my technical colleagues, that most of the projects within Adaptive are built using exciting, cutting-edge technologies; I guess the proof of this is the level of technical expertise Adaptive attracts (see point above). I have never worked with better Development teams in my 14 year career in software engineering, and those kind of technical experts don’t stick around unless they are getting something out of it - They promote from within if they can; I can think of many examples of colleagues who have been promoted, rather than the role being filled from outside - Transparent communication from management, refreshingly honest and, sadly, you can’t play B*llsh*t Bingo during company updates ;-)

Cons

- Any frustration I have experienced is generally to do with the client side of things rather than Adaptive as a company; they are a consultancy, after all

Chief Talent Officer

The Office Day was awesome, wasn't it? Culture is massively important to us and so rather than just saying it, we have to demonstrate it and the Office Day was one way for us to do so. I'm glad that you appreciate the extra-curricular activities - good relationships are built both in and out of the office and again, this comes back to us wanting people to feel comfortable with each other. We do aim to promote from within and are in the process of making sure that we properly support people who move into new roles (we've been okay but could definitely do with moving to 'good'). Are you absolutely sure that we can't play B*llsh*t Bingo? I'm sure that the occasional 'out of the box' and 'on the same page' sneak in there sometimes ;-). Thanks for your review, we genuinely appreciate and remain at your disposal should you ever think that we need to buck up. - Marie

9. 5.0

Culture

Dec 21, 2019 - Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really nice environment to work at.

Cons

No bad things to say

Chief Talent Officer

Brief but awesome! Thank you very much for posting this review; it's really very kind of you. We work hard on making Adaptive a brilliant place to work and so I'm delighted to see that it's paying dividends. Marie

10. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 23, 2019 - Senior Web Applications Developer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

When working from their office: Good atmosphere, smart/friendly colleagues When working from a client's office: You'll still be part of an Adaptive team, as they never (?) shop out individuals.

Cons

When working at a client's office: Atmosphere depends entirely on the client; little engagement with the rest of the company, aside from summer/Christmas parties. Lack of clarity on available career opportunities.

Chief Talent Officer

You make a couple of really good points in this review and so thank you for taking the time to post it. We work very hard on our culture but of course, when on client site, our culture is less evident. I'm really glad that you have brought up the career aspect as improving that is a core Q1 goal for the HR team. Always feel free to come and chat with me directly about this and any other issues you identify. Marie

Viewing 1 - 10 of 30 Reviews