American Income Life Reviews

Updated 21 May 2020

3.8
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer
Pros
  • "Most importantly (for me)the ability to make a LOT of money(in 101 reviews)

• "This company works on an Opportunity Unlimited Philosophy and that truly means unlimited(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours which can be difficult and young staff which can also be difficult for older applicants(in 264 reviews)

• "Very sales oriented, if you are not willing to work for 100% commission this gig is not for you(in 108 reviews)

1. "Ok"

I worked at American Income Life part-time

Pros

Nice team and good work environment

Cons

Not many downsides to working there.

American Income Life2018-05-18

May 18, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your time at AIL and wish you well in your future endeavors.

2. "my comment"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at American Income Life

Pros

was great working here for sure

Cons

very intense and not so flexible

American Income Life2017-12-11

"Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!"

Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

American Income Life2014-09-03

May 15, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

4. "Great Company ; Keeps you motivated"

Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

No matter the position someone is always there willing to help you out

Cons

training is very slow paced

American Income Life2020-05-21

May 22, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the motivational aspect of this position and the generous income that is available with persistence and hard work. Having a strong support system for our agents is very important to us and we're glad you're benefiting. Thank you for your hard work and contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for a long and successful career with AIL!

5. "Truthful Review Plz read"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Falls Church, VA

I worked at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great, good, awesome, exciting, nice

Cons

None to be honest with you I loved it

American Income Life2020-05-15

May 18, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and for your years of hard work and dedication to AIL. Providing our agents with the opportunity to make a generous living while offering valuable financial protection to working families in the community is our goal. As you know, with a strong work ethic and our supportive management this career can be very rewarding. Best wishes to a long future of success at AIL.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Wexford, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your pay reflects the amount of work you put in

Cons

There are none! I love everything about this company

American Income Life2020-05-13

May 13, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your review of AIL. We're glad you're enjoying the incredible income that this position can create with hard work and determination. We love hearing about our agents' success in this rewarding career. We wish you much success in the future!

7. "Self Motivated people with have big success"

Current Employee - Master General Agent in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work hard , get Paid, Lifetime Renewals , Great people always willing to help !

Cons

If your not structured and motivated , this is not the job for you!

American Income Life2020-05-08

May 11, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and for your years of hard work and dedication to AIL. We're glad you continue to enjoy the supportive culture, residual income, and the opportunity to make a very generous living while offering a valuable service to the working families. This career can be tough but with a persistent work ethic, it can be extremely rewarding. Best wishes to even more years of success at AIL!

"Good job if you don’t care about a personal life or bait and switch."

Former Employee - Benefits Representative

I worked at American Income Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team Super motivating very supportive for the most part. Good pay if you’re making sales

Cons

Higher ups especially from other offices can be offensive (calling people losers) If you’re not comfortable trying to sell 100 dollar policies to people requestion free safety kits for their kids then don’t take the job. Lack of balance. Bait and switch. EGO

American Income Life2020-05-20

May 21, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t completely meet your expectations. Your hiring situation is not indicative of our management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look further into your experience.

9. "Sales, Memorizartion, and"

2.0
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Representative

I have been working at American Income Life part-time

Pros

You get licensed, have a lot of independence, and move at your own pace

Cons

They aren't very upfront with the process. The first couple months are purely memorizing script. You don't make any money or talk to clients

American Income Life2020-05-20

May 21, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. While we're happy to have you on our team and appreciate your contributions to AIL, we're sorry if you were misled in any way during the hiring process. So that we can look further into your situation and take the necessary steps to improve this important process we invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

"Awesome Opportunities"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

$$ The joy of being independent Great business opportunity

Cons

I have not experienced any cons yet

American Income Life2020-05-01

May 1, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and for your contributions to our AIL team’s success! We're glad you're enjoying the schedule flexibility, professional growth opportunities, and income potential we offer with a strong work ethic. Best wishes for a long and successful career with AIL.

Found 2538 reviews