Audio Analytic Reviews

Updated 11 Apr 2021

4.5
Audio Analytic CEO and Founder Chris Mitchell (no image)
Chris Mitchell
  1. 5.0
    Former Contractor

Going places

11 Apr 2021 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Close to the centre of Cambridge

Cons

Single office is a bit noisy

Audio Analytic

Thanks so much for the 5 stars – it’s great to receive them and your feedback. We are definitely ‘going places’! We do love our (very) central Cambridge location on Quayside and we’re so looking forward to getting back there one day soon. There’s always a lot going on when we get together and like all open-plan offices noise can be an issue. We recently put in place a quite space for working/reading and will be reviewing all our space before the big return to the office to make sure we have spaces to collaborate and places to retreat to. Thanks again. Emma Hood, Head of People Strategy and Business Operations

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to work

22 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A fantastic place to work on difficult problems with lots of hard-working and intelligent people.

Cons

There are lots of exciting projects to work on, but sometimes more focus is needed on direction.

Audio Analytic

Thanks so much for the 5 star review – it’s great to get this feedback about the company, our work and the team. We’ve been working hard to keep it a ‘fantastic place to work’ even though we can’t be together right now, so it’s good to know that’s paying off. Thanks also for the feedback about the projects and direction; it’s true to say there’s always a lot going on, that’s very much the nature of the place. But all feedback is good and so more frequent company briefings and our OKRs will help us better communicate how the work lines up with the strategic direction. Thanks again. Emma Hood Head of People Strategy and Business Operations

3. 4.0

Good working environment

29 Jan 2021 - Data Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly community, excellent support with work-life balance especially during lockdown. Plenty of opportunities to learn and work on side projects. Light touch management.

Cons

Tight deadlines can be a little stressful sometimes. Opportunities for career progression and salary expectations are not clear. Poor gender diversity.

Audio Analytic

Thanks for the positive feedback, and very good to know that the efforts to keep Audio Analytic a ‘cool place to work’ even when we can’t be together are working well. We have taken a lot of input from staff through the last year, using a programme of rolling one-to-ones, surveys and numerous team-building and well-being initiatives to support every one of the team, taking individual circumstances into account at every stage. Learning through getting involved in side projects, things like hackathons and our ethos of empowering teams and agile processes are all part of the mix too. When lockdown is a memory, I’m pretty confident that we will reflect on a time when we grew closer as a team and maybe even a bit more cool. Engagement and transparency really matter, so thanks for also raising these less comfortable things. It’s true that deadlines can cause stress and we are always implementing ways to improve our planning and efficiency to tackle this as much as possible. For greater transparency around career progression and salary expectations, we have introduced quarterly reviews to help support a more frequent deep-dive conversation with line managers. In common with the UK tech sector, gender diversity is an area that needs our sustained focus to support a more level playing field for recruitment and of course gender diversity is just one area for attention. According to the BCS, in 2020, more women than ever were working in IT roles although they still make up just 20% of our sector’s workforce. Every new hire is an opportunity for us to rethink how we plan the recruitment process and engage with our external networks to target the broadest recruiting pool possible. Thanks again. Emma Hood, Head of People Strategy and Business Operations

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

12 Jul 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and a great product, fun office environment

Cons

Sometimes feels like direction is confused

Continue reading
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic place to work at

10 Sep 2019 - Anonymous in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Audio Analytic you can fully apply your skills to solve challenging technical problems. You would be working with a very competent group of people (who are also really nice and enthusiastic about what they do). Audio Analytic is creating cutting-edge sound recognition technology. Perfect place for audio lovers. Management listens to the teams and makes improvements based on their needs.

Cons

Of course, you will not find the same resources as in a big company, but we improve every day thanks to everyone's contribution.

6. 4.0

Organised and challenging work

29 Nov 2019 - Graduate Platforms Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has vision and direction The work is engaging and challenging Morale is high

Cons

Communication between platforms and other teams could improve Not enough team building/socialising on joining

Audio Analytic

Thanks very much for taking time to feedback on things at Audio Analytic. It’s great that our mission is clear and that your work so far has been engaging, however it looks like we didn’t do enough to help you get to know the rest of team and company when we started. I’m sorry about that – it’s not like us as we usually don’t need any excuse to celebrate and socialise, but maybe the timing was bad. Before the end of the year we are running a retrospective for all our recent joiners (it’s quite a crowd!) so I’m going to make sure this area gets discussed there. We’ll use the feedback to improve our welcome process and all aspects of joining and integration. And of course we have a few events planned between now and the holidays. From a cross-team comms perspective, again, it’s a good and useful observation – sometimes it takes a new joiner to flag these things - I’d love to know more and hope we can get into this in more detail at the retro. And please feel free to talk to me directly. Thanks again – we need the feedback to keep improving. Emma Hood Head of People and Business Operations

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Review

16 Sep 2019 - Private
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues Great location Interesting and challenging work

Cons

Could improve career progression

Audio Analytic

Thanks very much for the feedback! We see the Pros and the Cons as equally important to address – and it’s true that Audio Analytic is a great place to work for all the reasons you mention and more. As a fast-growing ‘Scale-up’ it’s also true that we have focussed a lot of energy in recent months on growing the teams at all levels and formalising our agile ways of working so we can create more sound recognition technology more efficiently than ever before. Alongside this we recognise the need to support career growth even though we are still a small company, so we are reviewing how we make our learning and development more consistent, improving how we create purposeful objectives and making space for more frequent hackathons, conference visits and tech team events so that everyone gets the chance to grow their skills and responsibilities in a way that works for them. With these things and regular reviews of the benefits we offer we will support career growth and reward and recognition so that we stay a great place to work as the company grows and matures. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, it's really appreciated. Emma Hood - Head of People & Business Operations

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast-paced, innovative, bags of fun, and lovely people too

5 Jan 2018 - Vice President, Marketing Communications in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many great things about working at Audio Analytic. The culture is informal, friendly and fun with a focus on teamwork. People take their work seriously but not themselves. When you are working in such a fast moving company then that culture is really important. Our customers, prospects and partners are all major global brands working in the consumer tech space, which means that it is very exciting. The leadership team is strong and has a clear vision of why we do what we do, which means that everybody is pulling in the same direction. And our technology is revolutionary too, so we are doing things that nobody else has done before. There is a major buzz when you see somebody experience sound recognition for the first time. In May 2017 we moved into our new office, which has plenty of space, meeting areas and a really well-stocked lounge/kitchen for social interaction and table football. The location is good too. The Cambridge office is at the quayside, so it is five minutes walk to the centre of Cambridge and there are numerous places to grab lunch, giving lots of variety.

Cons

The world famous Fitzbillies is over the road. It is very easy to get addicted to their Chelsea buns.

Continue reading

Marketing and Communications Manager

Thank you for leaving such a nice review! We are glad you enjoy it here.

9. 4.0

Never a dull day

20 Jan 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working at Audio Analytic for two and a half years and have seen them grow from a team of dozen, to a team of thirty plus. I'm really pleased I joined Audio Analytic, it's been the most satisfying period of my 15 year career. It's a busy, dynamic, challenging environment - we're supplying our technology to some of the biggest and most innovative consumer electronics companies in the world - but despite this, the team from senior management downward continues to enjoy the challenge and maintain its sense of humour. Staff retention is impressive, I've seen just two people move on to new roles during my 2.5 years here. I think is because Audio Analytic is also a company that recognises people's talents and offers opportunities for growth. I've changed roles twice since joining Audio Analytic, which has allowed me to do more of the work I enjoy and am best at.

Cons

There's never a dull day at Audio Analytic. We're a small (but growing) company with some very innovative and demanding customers, which makes for a busy working life, and at times this can be stressful. The learning curve can also be quite steep at Audio Analytic, our technology sits at the cutting edge of many complex technical topics and trends: artificial intelligence, machine learning, embedded software, consumer electronics, audio, smart home, IoT, device hardware, etc. Getting familiar with all the terminology can take a little time.

1 person found this review helpful

Marketing and Communications

You're making us blush! Thanks for leaving such a nice review.

10. 5.0

A rewarding challenge

12 Jan 2018 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ We are working on some genuinely novel technology, which present interesting challenges on a daily basis. + We are working with some interesting customers and helping them realise the impact that contextual sound awareness could have on their products. + Everyone is friendly; both professionally and personally. It is easy to approach anyone in the company and ask for a reasoning behind (nearly) any given decision. + The new building has fantastic with great views out over Cambridge especially in the summer.

Cons

- As with all scale up we're suffering some growing pains - there is too much work to do in too little time, so we have to make quick decisions on priorities; sometimes these guesses are wrong. I'm told practise makes perfect though. - We're learning to do things whilst we do them. This means that everything takes that little bit longer than it should, but we are learning an awesome amount.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews