BSI Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

BSI Group Chief Executive and Board Member Howard Kerr
Howard Kerr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really nice peaceful location on the edge of Loughborough university campus, benefits are ok, flexi time allows a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, good working conditions in a modern office (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Questionable decisions made by senior management regarding the best way forward for the company (in 11 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance for Client Managers (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good place to work for experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester Park, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester Park, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Package are good at BSI
    Location is great in London as it is not within Zone 1 in London

Cons

Training is not always easy to obtain
    Tendency to recruit many contractors instead of permanent
    A lot of redundancies are made

Advice to Management

If there is a strong pattern of employees leaving BSI from one department, then why not investigate the root cause?

"Great on-boarding experience and better people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined BSI and found the on-boarding process really refreshing. I had a long notice period so it felt great to have regular contact and plenty of content to get my teeth into before joining the business.

All teams have been welcoming, friendly and very knowledgeable and there are a lot of intelligent people to learn from here.

The company has adopted a very flexible working policy which suits most peoples lifestyles in this day and age. Agile working is promoted in the Chiswick HQ which gives the opportunity to network with the business and build great relationships.

Cons

IT isn't great and the support is limited with a long turnaorund.

Advice to Management

Improve technology as it drives business performance

3. "BSI Great Culture great place to work"

I have been working at BSI Group full-time

Pros

Very laid back, ability to just get on with things and flexible working

Cons

Going Through lots of change at the moment

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing just make sure to support your people through the period of change

"1 star rating just isn't low enough"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England

Pros

Flexi-hours, ok benefits, good location, and that really is just about all i can say is good about the place

Cons

Well where do i start??
    If you have read any previous reviews about this then you're probably in the loop already.
    Disgustingly below average salary for the type of job we do. The salary advertised is not what you actually get and still far and away below industry standard, and the constant lie we keep being fed about "we're going to be doing a pay review" just isn't cutting it I'm afraid.
    "Test engineer" job title is not what i would call it, yes there is a big element of being a test engineer but more accurately we are project managers, working with old useless equipment that just isn't up to the job, vastly unrealistic deadlines and hours on jobs, an extremely bad attitude towards engineers.
    We get told to raise issues and make aware when things are not right but when we do we just get ignored and then blamed for not doing anything about it.
    The responsibilities on us having to set projects up, initiate the contact with the client, resolve a whole manner of issues that are nothing to do with testing, the amount of admin work put onto us and the expectation of having to effectively run the business doing a vast amount of tasks that are outside of our role and not even remotely our responsibility is just ridiculous, yet we are still expected to get jobs done within the aforementioned insanely unrealistic timescales of which are handed to us.
    Yet we still have to fight on and get these things done with no support or incentive to do so.
    Management is a massive issue, as in there doesn't seem to be any.
    I mean there are people with the title of manager but as to whether they manage as opposed to just drinking tea and eating biscuits whilst trying to figure out why its going wrong at the same time as showing no interest until a job goes over the minimalistic hours assigned to it. This issues rise all the way through the ranks, lower level management through to ever fleeting presence of their managers.
    One of the main issues is that the ethos revolves around making as much money as possible, i know this is a business and that is the main driving point behind a business, but they just sell sell sell, tell the client everything they want to hear, mainly lies, take the money and dump the absolute mess of a project on the engineers and forget about it. And if we even dare try to have a civilised discussion about the issue of sales all we get in response , and this is a direct quote from the main man in charge, " oh here we go with the sales bashing again!"
    Another quote from one of the other managers is "it's just so hard to find the right staff" , you've had the right staff!!!! They just get treated terribly so, being the right staff, they go somewhere where they'll be appreciated for the very intelligent, and experienced people they are.
    In short I'd like to say that improvement is needed, but that would be the biggest injustice of the truth since the o.j. Simpson trial

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, wake up and do something before it's too late

"Very Disappointing"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pension & benefits
    Good location in Loughborough

Cons

Poor training and support.
    Low wage for the actual responsibilities and time pressures.
    No one is offered the £28k advertised
    Negative atmosphere at Loughborough that is infectious. A lot of test engineers have left or are looking to leave. The test engineers are a good bunch. The reason for the negativity is well documented in other reviews.
    No overtime and rarely paid.
    No inflationary pay rise. Purely results based. With alot of jobs its hard to achieve targets and so like several Test engineers you will not get a rise.

As an additional note, the role title of Test Engineer is probably not 100% accurate at Loughborough. You are essentially a Project manager, planning all your own jobs, liaising with all clients, resolving all problems, sourcing all your own equipment without support. You will be quite isolated and working alone using old and often unavailable equipment. 50% of the job is probably documentation and admin work. The test part is to be carried out to very tight timescales with limited resources. The pressure is on you to hit all targets even when a lot is beyond your control. Some test engineer positions are ok and established but unfortunately you will be filling the positions vacated that are not so good.

I left the company as it is not the role i thought it would be nor the one that was sold to me. The lack of support and training and the fact there was no one left to shadow from day one, made the job incredibly frustrating and stressful. I like to succeed and progress but i found i couldn't. That along with the negativity led me to the point i couldn't continue. It really wasn't worth the money nor the affect on my health.

Advice to Management

Most things are covered by other previous Glassdoor reviews by test engineers based at the Loughborough site. The list is too long really. The poor training and support, lack of equipment and negative atmosphere can probably be only solved by a complete re-structure at Loughborough.

7. "Programme Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, new refurbished offices, access to all plenty of training opportunities, you will be recognized for what you do. Good life/work balance

Cons

Salaries could be higher, recruitment and decision making takes for ever

8. "Good company but bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chiswick, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chiswick, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Goo pace for learning, friendly environment, good reputation, benefits

Cons

Salary is low, beurucracy, prefer external to internal for managerial positions

Advice to Management

Try to retain talent by career development and better salaries

"Culture of Bullying"

Former Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England

I worked at BSI Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Free parking, adjacent to tube station, nice office space, friendly staff.

Cons

Bullying by senior managers and supported by HR Professionals.

Advice to Management

Senior managers and Hr should stop turning a blind eye to excessive bullying. Legal procedures have taken place on a number of occasions due to the behaviour of senior managers who have clearly nothing better to do than sit around gossiping about their subordinates in an attempt to find dirt and get rid.

BSI Group Response

3 Aug 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for posting your review. We value all feedback and that’s one of the reasons why we are such a keen supporter of Glassdoor. I’m sorry that you think there is a culture of bullying at BSI... More

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Engineer in Loughborough, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Loughborough, England

Pros

Flexable work hours
    Good set of people to work with

Cons

Wants to be a £60 million company but pays less than the market average.
    Completely unbalanced wage structure - how can a trainer be on less than their trainee.
    Management offer an open door policy which is then shut in your face.
    Complete lack of morale due to management behaviour

Advice to Management

Top management - Wake up and realise that the wool is being pulled over your eyes.
    Loughborough management(all)- step back and take a good hard look at yourselves and try to understand why your behaviour has caused morale to be at an all time low.

"Programme Manager"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager
    Current Employee - Programmer Manager

Pros

Supportive collegues.
    Agile working environment.
    Great benefits

Cons

Career opportunities limited.
    Outdated systems.