BSI Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

BSI Group Chief Executive and Board Member Howard Kerr
Howard Kerr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Questionable decisions made by senior management regarding the best way forward for the company (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

"Okay place to work but expect disappointment if you want to be rewarded"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good, decent pension and benefits. I also have a very good manager, half the battle won I suppose.

Cons

Going through various changes, most unnecessary and a lot of new processes not working, the blind leading the blind comes to mind. Unrewarding and below average wage (unless you’re upper management of course - nice 100% bonus for the CEO which is NOT filtered through past upper management)

Advice to Management

Taking the biscuit holding breakfast briefings every month outlining how well the company are doing (over £60 million in the bank last time we heard). You thought BSI would reward the employees they constantly praise with a bonus but NO, they decide to re-invest the money to grow the business. And you know why they do this? - because when the business grows the big dogs can justify giving themselves huge bonuses. I don’t know how the CEO can justify earning such a huge wage yet the employees below struggle in tough times, yet work their socks off. How about rewarding ALL employees and filtering through a nice bonus. I get the CEO will receive a bigger bonus than a programme manager - but why is it okay to not reward the very foundation of the company, the employees? I don’t expect a response to this because what I say is 100% true and to be honest there is no reasonable justification for not rewarding employees, it’s pure greed.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for understanding the industry. Before moving on.
    Discounted training courses.
    Clean environment.
    Friendly people.
    Social clubs.
    Discounted canteen.
    Very flexible on work life balance.

Cons

Surviving on reputation alone.
    Managers lacking management skills.
    Attrition levels poor.
    Too many people doing what they are told without any thought because they are unconfident in their own ability.
    Lacking education in the right places.
    Some senior managers have been promoted due to long service rather than capability.
    Unable to concept basic skills.
    Can be clicky.
    Make a lot of knee jerk reactions without thinking of the consequences.
    Poor CAPA system.
    Dislikes some services yet still sells them to our customers.
    Too much focus on sales.
    Far too much gossiping about others.
    Departments still working in silos.
    Internal staff survey echos the above.

Advice to Management

It’s okay to ask why before doing.
    It’s alright to ask how before trying.
    Reflect more.
    Educate more.
    Learn how to listen.
    Interview better.
    Stop being stubborn.
    Reduce the ego.
    Learn the PDR process so you base results on objectivity rather than your own feelings.
    READ the above over and over until you stop thinking its a moan and make rhetorics as to why you shouldn’t. To when you start believing it’s constructive criticism which will make you excellent.

"Could have been so much better"

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, salary + pension's package is very generous, lots of things to do.

Cons

Internal politics is shocking, talented people left due to unable to fulfil their career's ambition as a result of political wrestling with other departments. minimum 8 week's notice for a leave is unbelievable. Senior management talk a lot about customer first and how well we care for our customers, but it's not the case, a lot of customers are frustrated with the inconsistency in service provided. HR recruitment is appalling, not only it took very long but they reject good people for no apparent reason. No cross-functional development.

Advice to Management

Talk less and act more. Walk the walk not just talk the talk. Don't just focus on the key accounts, there are many SMEs out there that also worth the time too. Recruit the right people who has the aperture to do the job well, not the ones just tick on the basis of certificates.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Busineess Analyst
    Former Employee - Busineess Analyst

I worked at BSI Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exposure to differents tasks, organised team and relatively good system

Cons

No flexibility, pay is undermarket rate

"Really good 'accounting'"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The directors are all adept at looking after each other and are all very good at covering their backs.

Cons

Accounting is somewhat 'inventive' and Directors are reaping the rewards whilst workers are left feeling dejected.

Advice to Management

I became an accountant to work with companies to help them to manage their accounts not to help them to be 'creative' with their profits. Stop taking profits for your own and share them as you have promised.

7. "Good place to work for experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester Park, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester Park, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Package are good at BSI
    Location is great in London as it is not within Zone 1 in London

Cons

Training is not always easy to obtain
    Tendency to recruit many contractors instead of permanent
    A lot of redundancies are made

Advice to Management

If there is a strong pattern of employees leaving BSI from one department, then why not investigate the root cause?

"Great on-boarding experience and better people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently joined BSI and found the on-boarding process really refreshing. I had a long notice period so it felt great to have regular contact and plenty of content to get my teeth into before joining the business.

All teams have been welcoming, friendly and very knowledgeable and there are a lot of intelligent people to learn from here.

The company has adopted a very flexible working policy which suits most peoples lifestyles in this day and age. Agile working is promoted in the Chiswick HQ which gives the opportunity to network with the business and build great relationships.

Cons

IT isn't great and the support is limited with a long turnaorund.

Advice to Management

Improve technology as it drives business performance

"1 star rating just isn't low enough"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England

Pros

Flexi-hours, ok benefits, good location, and that really is just about all i can say is good about the place

Cons

Well where do i start??
    If you have read any previous reviews about this then you're probably in the loop already.
    Disgustingly below average salary for the type of job we do. The salary advertised is not what you actually get and still far and away below industry standard, and the constant lie we keep being fed about "we're going to be doing a pay review" just isn't cutting it I'm afraid.
    "Test engineer" job title is not what i would call it, yes there is a big element of being a test engineer but more accurately we are project managers, working with old useless equipment that just isn't up to the job, vastly unrealistic deadlines and hours on jobs, an extremely bad attitude towards engineers.
    We get told to raise issues and make aware when things are not right but when we do we just get ignored and then blamed for not doing anything about it.
    The responsibilities on us having to set projects up, initiate the contact with the client, resolve a whole manner of issues that are nothing to do with testing, the amount of admin work put onto us and the expectation of having to effectively run the business doing a vast amount of tasks that are outside of our role and not even remotely our responsibility is just ridiculous, yet we are still expected to get jobs done within the aforementioned insanely unrealistic timescales of which are handed to us.
    Yet we still have to fight on and get these things done with no support or incentive to do so.
    Management is a massive issue, as in there doesn't seem to be any.
    I mean there are people with the title of manager but as to whether they manage as opposed to just drinking tea and eating biscuits whilst trying to figure out why its going wrong at the same time as showing no interest until a job goes over the minimalistic hours assigned to it. This issues rise all the way through the ranks, lower level management through to ever fleeting presence of their managers.
    One of the main issues is that the ethos revolves around making as much money as possible, i know this is a business and that is the main driving point behind a business, but they just sell sell sell, tell the client everything they want to hear, mainly lies, take the money and dump the absolute mess of a project on the engineers and forget about it. And if we even dare try to have a civilised discussion about the issue of sales all we get in response , and this is a direct quote from the main man in charge, " oh here we go with the sales bashing again!"
    Another quote from one of the other managers is "it's just so hard to find the right staff" , you've had the right staff!!!! They just get treated terribly so, being the right staff, they go somewhere where they'll be appreciated for the very intelligent, and experienced people they are.
    In short I'd like to say that improvement is needed, but that would be the biggest injustice of the truth since the o.j. Simpson trial

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, wake up and do something before it's too late

10. "BSI Great Culture great place to work"

I have been working at BSI Group full-time

Pros

Very laid back, ability to just get on with things and flexible working

Cons

Going Through lots of change at the moment

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing just make sure to support your people through the period of change

"Very Disappointing"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Loughborough, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pension & benefits
    Good location in Loughborough

Cons

Poor training and support.
    Low wage for the actual responsibilities and time pressures.
    No one is offered the £28k advertised
    Negative atmosphere at Loughborough that is infectious. A lot of test engineers have left or are looking to leave. The test engineers are a good bunch. The reason for the negativity is well documented in other reviews.
    No overtime and rarely paid.
    No inflationary pay rise. Purely results based. With alot of jobs its hard to achieve targets and so like several Test engineers you will not get a rise.

As an additional note, the role title of Test Engineer is probably not 100% accurate at Loughborough. You are essentially a Project manager, planning all your own jobs, liaising with all clients, resolving all problems, sourcing all your own equipment without support. You will be quite isolated and working alone using old and often unavailable equipment. 50% of the job is probably documentation and admin work. The test part is to be carried out to very tight timescales with limited resources. The pressure is on you to hit all targets even when a lot is beyond your control. Some test engineer positions are ok and established but unfortunately you will be filling the positions vacated that are not so good.

I left the company as it is not the role i thought it would be nor the one that was sold to me. The lack of support and training and the fact there was no one left to shadow from day one, made the job incredibly frustrating and stressful. I like to succeed and progress but i found i couldn't. That along with the negativity led me to the point i couldn't continue. It really wasn't worth the money nor the affect on my health.

Advice to Management

Most things are covered by other previous Glassdoor reviews by test engineers based at the Loughborough site. The list is too long really. The poor training and support, lack of equipment and negative atmosphere can probably be only solved by a complete re-structure at Loughborough.