Bandwidth Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Bandwidth Co-Founder and CEO David Morken
David Morken

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work-life balance as long as you aren't in middle management (in 11 reviews)

• Very friendly coworkers and great benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Bandwidth also claims to have great work/life balance, but don't expect to have much flexibility if you're in an operations team (in 6 reviews)

• There are a lot of friends of friends of friends in upper management, so its intimidating to ever have to file a complaint (in 8 reviews)

"Not ready for primetime"

I worked at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Free food, gym access

Cons

Too many. Lots of ageism here.

Advice to Management

This place is for millennials and the inexperienced. Management is lacking here which drives out good talent. Make this your stepping stone out of college. Wireless product is still in the garage phase.

"So many problems, where do I even begin."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare benefits and challenges, free gym use and 1.5 hour workout lunches. Bandwidth uses its benefits (specifically its healthcare) as an excuse to underpay its employees a ridiculous amount of money.

Cons

Within the span of 6 months, 90% of my department left the company, changed departments, or was let go. The director of my department was rarely around and when they were around seriously lacked the leadership skills to communicate goals and expectations effectively. The director made it very apparent who they did and did not like. After our manager was pushed out for questioning authority, the role was left empty for months on end, leaving us with no real leadership, and was eventually filled by the next person in line, rather than the person best suited for the job. There was something seriously wrong in the department. People began accepting positions in different departments, and one by one people either quit or were let go. Other employees told me about arbitrary Performance Improvement Plan goals that were created for them to intentionally fail, such as "attitude improvement." One coworker even overheard my director trash talking her to another employee. The department essentially went up in flame and they lost all of their talent. At the end of the day, I think they really just wanted people to come in, keep their head down, and do the work without asking questions or contributing to the company culture. I can't even begin to truly describe how mismanaged the department was. It was like our director was in the eye of the storm, seeing all the chaos around them, and appeared to think that none of it was their problem or at all related to them.

Along with all of the problems mentioned above, Bandwidth pays it's operations teams DIRT. Entry level employees can expect to get paid in the low $30,000's, even if they come from prestigious universities with advanced degrees. Making the kind of money you deserve here is next to impossible. When I left Bandwidth and started working at my new job, I got close to a $15k raise. And after years of hard work and loyalty - don't expect to be able to negotiate your salary at all. The executives will tell you that you're not worth what other people in your area make, and if you're in the job for the money then you should leave. Bandwidth also claims to have great work/life balance, but don't expect to have much flexibility if you're in an operations team.

This is a serious warning to anyone interested in working at Bandwidth - proceed with extreme caution.

Advice to Management

After entire departments leave or are let go, take a serious look at the leadership to see what is wrong rather than just re-hiring bodies. Put people in leadership positions that have strong leadership traits and want to be in the roles, not just the people who happen to be next in line. Treat your employees like they are valuable, not just a number. Pay them what they deserve for their long hours and hard work. Allow employees to have and to voice their opinions, even when they don't align with those of management. Stop using performance improvement plans as a way to intentionally push people out because you don't like them or who they were hired by. Take a serious look at the trends of failing departments to see if it's actually the team members or just incompetent directors.

"Engineer"

Pros

NONE, I caution all.

Cons

Like the company, Morken (the CEO) is the reason this place really sucks. He and his wana-be-management will throw you under the buss in a heart beat.

Advice to Management

LEAVE, so the company can mature

5. "Good Comapy"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and culture. Gym perk is awesome

Cons

Low pay. You take a pay cut to come here.

"Proceed with extreme caution"

Former Employee - NOC Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - NOC Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The free benefits. Doesnt make up for low industry pay though

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing. You would think by now you would see some growth out of the company but it has become stagnant.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in training

"LDR"

Pros

Great corporate environment with some of the best people. Benefits are awesome and pay is competitive. They also practice what they say about promoting from within.

Cons

Fast moving company but not ahead of the game internally. For an agile/disruptive company they still hold to some outdated corporate structures.

Advice to Management

Take advice from lower/entry level personnel and don't wait to act on it. Your company is growing too fast to run out of ideas and involvement

"Disorganized, inefficient, aging"

Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focuses on family, health, and well-being.
    Regular open dialog with C-level executives.
    Company events and challenges.
    Lunch exercise policy nice.

Cons

Feel pain as development and engineering is 4-6 years behind the curve.
    Teams work in silos with variable forecast of prioritized work.
    Teams reinvent the wheel unnecessarily.
    Project and task management is all over the place and inconsistent.
    Difficult to innovate how work is done.
    Work feels rushed all the time and cutting corners.
    Don't feel as if professionally invested in.
    No avenues to socialize outside of going to gym.
    Lack of building space prevents teams from working together or having recreational space.
    Got rid of ping pong and foosball because annoyance to management.

Advice to Management

Look to mature enterprise technology companies and realize the value in changing how products are made and operated. There is so much focus on the work to get done and not how it gets done.

"Proceed with Caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- work-life balance as long as you aren't in middle management
    - executive leadership is accessible to anyone
    - will work with you when emergencies come up
    - will invest in you if you are one of "the chosen ones"

Cons

- Your experience at Bandwidth will 100% depend on who your direct supervisor is, and the leadership above them. I worked under 3 different managers, in 2 groups, and only 1 of them of them cared about her team. The other two were only interested in their own careers, and constantly took credit for the work their team members did
    - hard work and intelligence are rewarded in some groups, but other groups require blind obedience. I spoke up when unethical and illogical decisions were being made and was constantly written up for insubordination
    -if you want a company that rewards clocking in, keeping your head down, and clocking out, this place is for you.
    - as other reviews have stated, if you make an enemy in HR or upper management, there is nothing you can do to save yourself
    - Bandwidth used to define its own path but is now copying its competitors
    - The director I worked under fired or pushed out ~10 employees over the course of 2 years in a group of 8
    - NO diversity at Bandwidth. If you aren't a white, wealthy, Christian, conservative, it's hard to succeed.
    - David Morken is FANTASTIC, but more and more information is being withheld from him when things happen because he would make the company change for the better, which is expensive, time-consuming, and against the scheming other leaders have

Advice to Management

Fire ineffective managers, especially when their departments bleed top talent. Give employees a reason to use their full potential, and don't fire them for doing the right thing.

"Account manager"

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Somewhat flexible, extra time for gym at lunch

Cons

Wages, amount of PTO not great

"Meh"

I worked at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Food, Beer, Shirts, Prizes, Happy Hours

Cons

Politics are the name of the game.