BaxterStorey Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
BaxterStorey CEO Noel Mahony
Noel Mahony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Full-time employment, Monday to Friday at a lot of sites and you get lunch for free" (in 7 reviews)

• "Some good training courses (but you may be discouraged from attending by your manager due to cost)" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not a 9 to 5 but good work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

• "Gossiping about other people's lives is also a full-time job for a lot of people I worked with" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Treasury Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always growing business with new opportunities

Cons

Small remuneration due to low margin business

2. "great Company"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent opportunities available and always encouraged to learn more.

Cons

pay is very low. Newbies tend to be offered more than those already employed

Advice to Management

reward staff more, to in-turn receive more productivity.

3. "Toxic site, No support from BaxterStorey"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at BaxterStorey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I started with BaxterStorey on the Graduate Scheme (Momentum Programme) which was an excellent overall experience. You are trained very thoroughly on the scheme and it does feel like there is no expense spared in your development. The learning and development team at BaxterStorey are brilliant and were always there if you needed help with anything professional, or even personal.

- The on-site teams (with very few exceptions) are dedicated, hardworking people. Often on living wage, but will go above and beyond and really get on with their roles without much dictation.

- SOME (but few) people from the BS support office are wonderful, sympathetic people who work really really hard.

- Decent pay, free lunch at work. At your managers discretion, as a salaried member of staff you can sometimes be paid overtime however it is unlikely to be included in your contract.

- Depending on the site, the working hours can be very favourable for the catering industry: Mon-Fri (9-5).

Cons

After my graduate scheme ended I secured a role as Assistant Manager at what BaxterStorey considers one of their more "high-end" client sites.

- The Site in general: An atmosphere of paranoia, bullying. mistrust and blame that starts right at the top. Working at this site was a horrific experience. Furthermore, this blame culture was not managed effectively by Baxterstorey ops management and I often felt that the management team on site were "chucked under the bus" by our ops team in order to appease the difficult site team. If they decided they didn't like someone that we employed for whatever reason, their days were numbered. Often we moved employees to another BaxterStorey site simply because they didn't like them, or had an issue with the quality of their English speaking skills (none of our team had a poor level of English). In these situations I very much felt like I severely compromised my morals and wasn't able to properly protect my team. Sometimes asked to do things by the site team that would then get you in trouble with BS ops management, but not in a position to say no. This meant it was a lose-lose situation for management as you were reprimanded by either party.

- BaxterStorey support: Very poor experience. It is a large site, and so naturally came with some issues. Emails and calls to ops management were commonly not returned for at least a week, at which point guidance was no longer needed as the situation had passed. When ops management did act, they came to site but often didn't help with what you ACTUALLY needed help with. For example, there was an issue with the food quality of the sandwiches we received from our in-house supplier, but the development chef team turned up and marked it as a "marketing and presentation issue" because they didn't want to accept it was an issue with their product. Essentially blaming our team when they did nothing wrong. It was requested in the end that we make more sandwiches fresh on site, yet of course we weren't given any extra budget for overtime or additional staff to do this and it put a further strain on our already understaffed kitchen.

- The development chef team (some of them) are not worth their money - they essentially spend their time stealing ideas from google and Pinterest and leaving their rubbish everywhere like our site was their personal dustbin. Literally was not capable of making a decent flapjack. No one in the kitchen team or management team actually understood what they were on site to do.

- Whilst my manager was on annual leave I had “help” from someone who was meant to be helping me with the workload. This person just spent the entire time on their phone swiping matches on Tinder, wandering round site aimlessly, distracting the chefs and not actually doing any work. I needed them to complete a managers Health and Safety audit, and repeatedly asked them to fill it out all week... in the end I had to fill it out for them (not sure what environmental health would think about that!!!) because they couldn't be bothered. They even asked me "why don't you have time to do it?" when I was trying to run the site by myself. Essentially an overpaid schoolchild yet one of the "favourites" of the ops management team.

- Team: as mentioned before, largely on-site team was excellent. However we did lose really good people because of the toxic culture, and there are quite a few people who worked there who kept on going on long-term sick, i.e. playing the game. This made the role even more difficult as you were constantly covering for them and couldn't effectively manage the site.

- Opportunities: Very very limited by location. I relocated to Peterborough once for the graduate scheme, and again to Milton Keynes for the assistant managers role when I come from Leicester originally. I understand that nothing can be done about this and if you want to progress and there isn't opportunity in your area then you have to relocate, however it is a Con regardless, and may be useful for someone else to know.

_________

After six months on site where my confidence was shattered, emotionally I felt the lowest I had felt (on the verge of tears most days) and couldn't give any more, I decided to look for roles with another company and flagged this site as a duty of care issue with HR. It was quickly escalated to someone high up in HR, however this person more or less (not in exact words) said that I was being "sensitive" and that ops management were under a lot of pressure and therefore the support provided to site could not be improved. This was not a good enough reason for me.

My manager has also left this site, just two weeks after myself, for similar reasons.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people in high-up roles when they do not work hard. It sets a bad example and is frustrating for those that do. There are a lot of people out there who work for BaxterStorey who will do anything for the company and work tirelessly, and instead of being rewarded they feel beaten down.

Don't accept bullying behaviour both within Baxterstorey and from the people that employ us. At some point, it needs to stop and the welfare of your own people needs to be put before financial gain. It makes your managers and teams feel like they aren't valued by BS and you will continue to lose good people that you have invested a lot of money in. Furthermore, you are seriously putting at risk the stability of the mental health of your employees. It's 2018 - this should not be happening.

If a site asks for help and you send another manager, or development chef team, make sure they're actually there to help rather than simply keeping up appearances. Remember YOU ARE PAYING THESE PEOPLE TO WORK, not to sit on their phones and do nothing every day.

3 Jan 2019 – People Director

Many thanks for taking time out to provide us with some really important feedback, I’m glad that you enjoyed our graduate scheme and that you felt you were well invested in.

We are saddened by the... More

4. "Regional Role"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Reading, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good rapport with manager, encouraging
    1-2-1's monthly
    Encouraged to provide own solutions
    Barista Coffee

Cons

Some long drives... but that's the role!
    Periodically heavy workload

Lone working on occasion

Advice to Management

Keep an ear out for staff who need further training or integration

27 Nov 2018 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. Thank you for the advice about listening out for our staff who are looking for... More

5. "Front of House Supervisor/Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It has been a wonderful time to work here at Gazprom company with a different multicultural costumers, receiving training, getting more experience in the catering and costumer services environment.

Cons

I been working for 7 years at Gazprom and now I would like a challenge, I'm ready to continue my career to the next level, learn and share with my team and continue given the best costumer services.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals...
    Think about what my team shouldn't be spending time on ...
    Be brutally honest with myself about what's working and what's isn't ...
    Treat people with compassion and kindness.

7 Nov 2018 – People Director

Dear Valued Team Member

I am glad that thus far you have been enjoying working with the... More

6. "Good company, bad managment"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time

Pros

Good Salary,
    Overtime good pay
    Customer friendly
    Bank holidays paid

Cons

You have to be "nice" with your manager if you want trainings and developments, and even if you asking for trainings never will happen. Managment can`t handle problems, they don`t want to involve themselves. Colleagues are selfish and envy if you trying to make good things. If you doing something wrong you`re the bad person and no one likes after.

Advice to Management

Care about more the employees.

7 Nov 2018 – People Director

Dear Valued Team Member,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for us and some feedback for us to consider. I’m glad to see that you see some of the positive things we offer at... More

7. "Fantastic Company"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independent company with people and food at the heart of everything they do. They develope people and help them in making their career aspirations come to life.

Cons

Never going to be a 9-5 employer, however the flexibility they give their staff is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in the people

4 Oct 2018 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and even more pleased that you can see we try our best to support our people in... More

8. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time

Pros

BaxterStorey have a great work ethos, believing in fresh, local, innovative food.
    Focused on Team development and delivery of great customer service.
    People tend to stay with this company for a long time as they feel valued and that they have a voice.

Cons

Occasionally numbers driven but always try and bring it all back to the service and food.

Advice to Management

Always sharing ideas and looking for a way forward. Very focused on coaching and giving people the ability to think for themselves.

3 Oct 2018 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and even more pleased that our people feel valued and they feel they have a voice too... More

9. "operations director"

Current Employee - Operations Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations Director in London, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

independent company and family ethos giving teams autonomy over their business

Cons

As the company continues to grow it is about us ensuring we keep the company values intact.We are not perfect however, we have autonomy to put it right.

Advice to Management

keep believing in the values of the company and the excellent teams we wrok with

3 Oct 2018 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and we will continue the hard work to ensuring our people are looked after.
    Many... More

10. "Working for BaxterStorey for over 7 years"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great like minded people who are passionate about service delivery and food.
    Training and Development are excellent and you are always listen to.
    Very open and engaging management team

Cons

It is not 9-5 , however you can work flexible to get a good work and life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employee's. They are your eyes and ears.

3 Oct 2018 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and that you can see not only the companies passion but also our peoples passion... More