BaxterStorey Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
BaxterStorey CEO Noel Mahony
Noel Mahony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Monday to Friday job weekends off occasionally" (in 9 reviews)

• "Some good training courses (but you may be discouraged from attending by your manager due to cost)" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not a 9 to 5 but good work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

• "Gossiping about other people's lives is also a full-time job for a lot of people I worked with" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Exec Chef"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, good training programme, good team of people

Cons

Job can be challenging but that all adds to the fun

Advice to Management

Create a more positive working environment

2. "General Assistant"

I worked at BaxterStorey full-time

Pros

Working monday to friday, friendly team, supportive managers, free food.

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

23 Apr 2019 – People Director

Dear Valued Team Member
    Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us and I am glad that thus far you have been enjoying working with the BaxterStorey family and I hope that you will... More

3. "Great experience"

Current Employee - General Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - General Manager in London, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Very little to complain about

Advice to Management

Keep on top of paperwork

Many Thanks
    BaxterStorey People Team

4. "Barista"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time

Pros

Not bad working conditions for Hospitality

Cons

Management is a disaster sometimes

19 Mar 2019 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that we have good working conditions.
    We try our best to support our Managers in all area's of management and also provide a... More

5. "Exit Interview"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

I worked at BaxterStorey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great food orientated company which allows the Interested professionals to grow.

Cons

Having left after 2 years and completing and exit interview online, not face to face!
    I asked for a call as this was a question as from the 14th Jan 2019 I still have received one. ( not suprprised really) this company has no time for managers and senior management have little time and listen to others remarks instead of asking direct.

Advice to Management

Please listen to others first before judging, Directors have little time for geninue hard workers who demonstrate commitment to their clients. Ask your teams who they work for and in kat cases the reply would be THE CLIENTS NAME! such a shame.

19 Mar 2019 – People Director

Many thanks for taking time out to provide us with some really important feedback, I’m glad that you love our food and you feel that we allow are people to grow.

I am however disappointed by the... More

6. "Treasury Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always growing business with new opportunities

Cons

Small remuneration due to low margin business

6 Feb 2019 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and even more pleased that you can see we try our best to support our people in... More

"Pretty poor all round"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time

Pros

decent salary, some room for creativity

Cons

Poor management, only drive is cost cutting not innovation, promotions are not based on merit which leads to incapable people in senior positions, rubbish HR department (no help with staff that should have been dismissed immediately but were kept on). No planning. No support from HO or upper management.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on a long term plan and not short term fixes.

19 Mar 2019 – People Director

Many thanks for taking time out to provide us with some really important feedback, I’m glad that you felt well paid and that you could use your creativity with us.

We are disappointed by the... More

8. "great Company"

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent opportunities available and always encouraged to learn more.

Cons

pay is very low. Newbies tend to be offered more than those already employed

Advice to Management

reward staff more, to in-turn receive more productivity.

6 Feb 2019 – People Director

"Toxic site, No support from BaxterStorey"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at BaxterStorey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I started with BaxterStorey on the Graduate Scheme (Momentum Programme) which was an excellent overall experience. You are trained very thoroughly on the scheme and it does feel like there is no expense spared in your development. The learning and development team at BaxterStorey are brilliant and were always there if you needed help with anything professional, or even personal.

- The on-site teams (with very few exceptions) are dedicated, hardworking people. Often on living wage, but will go above and beyond and really get on with their roles without much dictation.

- SOME (but few) people from the BS support office are wonderful, sympathetic people who work really really hard.

- Decent pay, free lunch at work. At your managers discretion, as a salaried member of staff you can sometimes be paid overtime however it is unlikely to be included in your contract.

- Depending on the site, the working hours can be very favourable for the catering industry: Mon-Fri (9-5).

Cons

After my graduate scheme ended I secured a role as Assistant Manager at what BaxterStorey considers one of their more "high-end" client sites.

- The Site in general: An atmosphere of paranoia, bullying. mistrust and blame that starts right at the top. Working at this site was a horrific experience. Furthermore, this blame culture was not managed effectively by Baxterstorey ops management and I often felt that the management team on site were "chucked under the bus" by our ops team in order to appease the difficult site team. If they decided they didn't like someone that we employed for whatever reason, their days were numbered. Often we moved employees to another BaxterStorey site simply because they didn't like them, or had an issue with the quality of their English speaking skills (none of our team had a poor level of English). In these situations I very much felt like I severely compromised my morals and wasn't able to properly protect my team. Sometimes asked to do things by the site team that would then get you in trouble with BS ops management, but not in a position to say no. This meant it was a lose-lose situation for management as you were reprimanded by either party.

- BaxterStorey support: Very poor experience. It is a large site, and so naturally came with some issues. Emails and calls to ops management were commonly not returned for at least a week, at which point guidance was no longer needed as the situation had passed. When ops management did act, they came to site but often didn't help with what you ACTUALLY needed help with. For example, there was an issue with the food quality of the sandwiches we received from our in-house supplier, but the development chef team turned up and marked it as a "marketing and presentation issue" because they didn't want to accept it was an issue with their product. Essentially blaming our team when they did nothing wrong. It was requested in the end that we make more sandwiches fresh on site, yet of course we weren't given any extra budget for overtime or additional staff to do this and it put a further strain on our already understaffed kitchen.

- The development chef team (some of them) are not worth their money - they essentially spend their time stealing ideas from google and Pinterest and leaving their rubbish everywhere like our site was their personal dustbin. Literally was not capable of making a decent flapjack. No one in the kitchen team or management team actually understood what they were on site to do.

- Whilst my manager was on annual leave I had “help” from someone who was meant to be helping me with the workload. This person just spent the entire time on their phone swiping matches on Tinder, wandering round site aimlessly, distracting the chefs and not actually doing any work. I needed them to complete a managers Health and Safety audit, and repeatedly asked them to fill it out all week... in the end I had to fill it out for them (not sure what environmental health would think about that!!!) because they couldn't be bothered. They even asked me "why don't you have time to do it?" when I was trying to run the site by myself. Essentially an overpaid schoolchild yet one of the "favourites" of the ops management team.

- Team: as mentioned before, largely on-site team was excellent. However we did lose really good people because of the toxic culture, and there are quite a few people who worked there who kept on going on long-term sick, i.e. playing the game. This made the role even more difficult as you were constantly covering for them and couldn't effectively manage the site.

- Opportunities: Very very limited by location. I relocated to Peterborough once for the graduate scheme, and again to Milton Keynes for the assistant managers role when I come from Leicester originally. I understand that nothing can be done about this and if you want to progress and there isn't opportunity in your area then you have to relocate, however it is a Con regardless, and may be useful for someone else to know.

_________

After six months on site where my confidence was shattered, emotionally I felt the lowest I had felt (on the verge of tears most days) and couldn't give any more, I decided to look for roles with another company and flagged this site as a duty of care issue with HR. It was quickly escalated to someone high up in HR, however this person more or less (not in exact words) said that I was being "sensitive" and that ops management were under a lot of pressure and therefore the support provided to site could not be improved. This was not a good enough reason for me.

My manager has also left this site, just two weeks after myself, for similar reasons.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people in high-up roles when they do not work hard. It sets a bad example and is frustrating for those that do. There are a lot of people out there who work for BaxterStorey who will do anything for the company and work tirelessly, and instead of being rewarded they feel beaten down.

Don't accept bullying behaviour both within Baxterstorey and from the people that employ us. At some point, it needs to stop and the welfare of your own people needs to be put before financial gain. It makes your managers and teams feel like they aren't valued by BS and you will continue to lose good people that you have invested a lot of money in. Furthermore, you are seriously putting at risk the stability of the mental health of your employees. It's 2018 - this should not be happening.

If a site asks for help and you send another manager, or development chef team, make sure they're actually there to help rather than simply keeping up appearances. Remember YOU ARE PAYING THESE PEOPLE TO WORK, not to sit on their phones and do nothing every day.

3 Jan 2019 – People Director

Many thanks for taking time out to provide us with some really important feedback, I’m glad that you enjoyed our graduate scheme and that you felt you were well invested in.

We are saddened by the... More

10. "Regional Role"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Reading, England

I have been working at BaxterStorey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good rapport with manager, encouraging
    1-2-1's monthly
    Encouraged to provide own solutions
    Barista Coffee

Cons

Some long drives... but that's the role!
    Periodically heavy workload

Lone working on occasion

Advice to Management

Keep an ear out for staff who need further training or integration

27 Nov 2018 – People Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. Thank you for the advice about listening out for our staff who are looking for... More