Betfred Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Betfred Chairman Fred Done
Fred Done

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "long hours, rude customers, it is very boring" (in 17 reviews)

• "low pay, short time between shifts as asm" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Shop Manager"

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Llanelli, Wales
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Llanelli, Wales

I have been working at Betfred full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company. But unfortunately my shop is closing. No shops in Llanelli need full time worker

Cons

N/A none had a good team will miss them

Advice to Management

N/A none. I was manager but my GSM and Area manager were very approachable

2. "Fine"

Former Employee - Cashier in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Cashier in Leeds, England

I worked at Betfred part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Can be a good atmosphere to work in

Cons

- Management don't seem to listen to staff
    - Treat like children
    - Too many activities to do which aren't necessary

3. "Not a bad company to work.."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Leicester, England

I worked at Betfred full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No pressure from management at all

Cons

Too much single manning while closing

Advice to Management

Recruit more staff

4. "Worked there for 3 months"

Current Employee - Cashier in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Cashier in Lincoln, England

I have been working at Betfred full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management in shops, customers are always nice

Cons

low pay, short time between shifts as asm

5. "Shop Manager"

I have been working at Betfred full-time

Pros

Can earn good money if willing to put in the hours, creating good relationships with shop teams can make working shift patterns seem more favourable.

Cons

although given the title of manager, most decisions are made higher up yet your accountable if they fail to meet certain or specific targets.

6. "The Wild West - Easiest Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Newport, Newport, Wales
    Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Newport, Newport, Wales

I have been working at Betfred full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easiest job I've ever had.
    Pay is slightly above minimum for very little work.
    Lots of free time to get other things done e.g. coursework, reading.
    No bosses or authority on site, you essentially run the shop.
    Locations of shops are usually good and near transport/amenities.
    The company's own lack of investment in modern technology allows you to get away with murder sometimes.
    No clock-in/out system.
    Plenty of overtime, which is paid hourly.

Cons

Where do I begin haha......
    This is the wild west... there are no set rules and everything is made up as it goes along.
    "Shops" are just empty shells with two Windows PCs, two members of untrained staff and a load of TVs and bandit machines. You could literally set up a shop in your living room it requires so little space/effort.
    If management don't like you, you *will* get picked on and forced out.
    Poor working conditions, you get dumped into a shop and you're left to run it with no training (literally zero training in some cases).
    The goalposts for management move every month, organisation for a huge company is outstandingly poor. Actually shocking, even to someone who's never run a business. Everybody is singing from a different hymn sheet
    You're left untrained and in a position where you could be fined thousands for serving minors or for breaking gambling commission rules without even realising there were rules to be broken. Nothing is explained to new starters, just sit in that chair and start taking bets.
    Management are either uneducated for the position (or uneducated in general), gambling addicts, drug users or a combination of the aforementioned.
    Some shops don't even have security cameras even though you're dealing with THOUSANDS of pounds worth of cash. Oh, and nobody locks the safe inserts leaving them completely exposed to robberies as they have no authority figure on site or security training.
    Watching people lose thousands of pounds OTC and on the FOBT machines and having them either breakdown in tears or get aggressive/violent towards you on a regular basis.
    Management don't care about employees welfare in the slightest, they will guilt trip you into coming into work if you're sick and if you're management then you're not allowed to go sick or you'll be demoted coincidentally in the near future. I once got a promotion because of this happening. Group Managers especially aren't allowed to go sick otherwise their job is gone too.
    Some "shop managers" paid £0.50 above minimum wage.
    Wages, GSM is the only decent wage but they want you life and blood for it. No joke.
    No support for management. E.g. Area team siding with new drug infused new-starters on ridiculous issues over long-term intelligent managers.
    75% of your colleagues are either gambling addicts, drug users, petty-cash thieves or general dossers who can't do basic math required to do the job to the most basic standard.
    Idiots get promoted because management like them. I've known people to be promoted internally four times within a year due to lack of staff and that kind of poor management speaks for itself.
    Self exclusion scheme is a joke and is so easily undermined it may as well not exist. I've been told by area managers NOT to exclude people if they ask and to divert them e.g. tell them to think it over and come back if they feel the same way tomorrow.
    Any good ideas passed onto management usually get ignored. I once made a software suggestion that was fairly simple to implement that would save the company thousands of pounds a month, but of course the loudest person in the room was heard and not me.
    Staff who are liked get preferential treatment (I experienced this for a long time luckily). I've known staff to steal, place fraudulent bets, handle drugs on site and more and have it covered up by management.
    Management encourage employees to play FOBT content even if they politely decline due to previous conquered addictions. A friend and colleague was once threatened to be moved shop (to make his life difficult) if he didn't log time on the FOBT demo content even though he is a recovering gambling addict.
    This list could go on and on and on and on, I'm not joking. All of this is 100% legit and not exaggerated. I've seen it all, and still see it all on a daily basis.

Long story short, if you need a temp/part time job where the absolute minimum effort is required this is it. For anyone else, stay as far away as you can.

Advice to Management

Give up. Having seen everything Betfred has to offer, I can wholeheartedly say: Fred Done is a monster.

7. "Cut throat industry"

I worked at Betfred full-time

Pros

There are none for this

Cons

No scope for career progression. Long working hours. Low pay rate

8. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Betfred full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers
    Free coffee
    Watch football at work

Cons

Management
    Never got praised for doing something good

9. "asm"

I worked at Betfred full-time

Pros

good pay rate and uniform is free

Cons

asked to go to loads of differant stores

Advice to Management

not to send staff over the place

10. "Absolutely horrendous AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Betfred part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can literally think of none.

Cons

-Long sometimes ILLEGAL hours (frequently not given minimum rest)
    -Try to pressure young women to work alone at night
    -High stress
    -Bad management
    -Don't listen to staff
    -Lots of pressure to make people spend more while maintaining the guise of "responsible gambling"
    -Rude customers and higher up staff.
    -Want to pay minimum wage and expect undying loyalty even though they frequently remind you they might fire you if you make a mistake. Fired a whole shop over a £0.03 cash difference during my 18 months there. Then made other shops cover the shop that they'd fired everyone from leaving all other shops understaffed.
    -Will literally try to bully you into doing everything their way.

Advice to Management

Rehaul the whole thing. Stop making staff work illegal hours. Most of your higher up staff are shockingly bad at their jobs. Listen to your staff who are on the front lines. Make sure your trainers actually know what they're talking about. Be better.