Build-A-Bear Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Build-A-Bear Reviews

Updated 6 Dec 2019

3.7
Build-A-Bear CEO Sharon John (no image)
Sharon John
Pros
Cons
  • "The pay was the bare minimum of minimum wage(in 38 reviews)

• "Especially if you’re looking for something part time in retail(in 33 reviews)

1. "Best workplace going"

Former Employee - Bear Builder in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at the Fenwicks concession in Newcastle, and I adored my time at BABW. My beautiful team I hold close to my heart, and management were so welcoming, helpful, and kind - Chris and Julie, you are not only incredible management/leaders, but amazing people! The team are like a close knit family, and every new employee is welcomed with open arms. Every day is so different, and you learn to host parties and get... to make such special memories for guests! I loved it.

Cons

I don’t have a bad word to say on the company.

Build-A-Bear2019-11-25
  2. "Neutral experience"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Derby, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible employer open to your needs and patterns required. Willing to work with you to keep up prior commitments and education studies.

Cons

Limit on wages Inaccessible HR for issues Very Focussed of the bottom line over employee

Build-A-Bear2019-11-25
  3. "Unorganised"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team Enjoyable experience

Cons

Management team was unorganised

Advice to Management

Be organised

Build-A-Bear2019-12-06
  4. "Not great"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Discount on bears and flexible hours

Cons

Boring and very repetitive every day

Build-A-Bear2019-08-16
  5. "Not good"

Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with kids Working with a lovely team

Cons

Working by yourself sometimes Long hours Management does not tell you anything Understaffed Not busy Expected to do the most work to be paid peanuts

Advice to Management

Management need to pull their finger out and listen to their team in order to be successful

Build-A-Bear2019-08-02
  6. "Great"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Great management fun environment and everyday is different

Cons

Pay isn't great, minimum plus a zero hour contract

Build-A-Bear2019-07-16
  7. "Middle of the road"

Current Employee - Chief Workshop Manager

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The guests are usually amazing - you genuinely meet some of the most incredible kids and adults and they are so grateful for helping make their day. My team is amazing and we are like a big family. The job can be really fun! We don't take ourselves seriously and each day is so different - you go from singing happy birthday to seeing a child's face light up when they get to give their bear traits. It's a... totally different type of retail and something new and fun despite how long you have worked in the sector for.

Cons

Communication isn't great. It's often last minute and the company changed their mind frequently. Plannograms and changeover guides are often only uploaded a few days before, or promo aren't sent through until the morning of the day they're supposed to change. You can often feel like a glorified Bear Builder because it's all about keeping the payroll tight, and it's hard to get off the floor to get rotas /... paperwork etc done. Being chirpy 100% of the time is seriously draining. You have to be at max energy all day and during peak, that is really tough! From time to time you get some of the rudest, most entitled guests who make a fuss over a stuffed toy. The focus on delivering amazing service is often overshadowed by the expectations to sell, sell, sell. If you aren't delivering metrics, it's "why?" when in actual fact sometimes it's out of your control despite having tried your best. There's inconsistency with reward and recognition, and I personally feel unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Let managers be managers and stop cutting hours. Communication needs to be fine tuned and more slick. Pay all BBs the same wage, rather than have a 17 year old earn over £2 an hour less then someone who's 25.

Build-A-Bear2019-07-16

"Waste of time."

Former Employee - Bear Builder in Bournemouth, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get rewarded with food and sometimes a free bear & get 30% discount and 50% during Christmas.

Cons

Everyone apart from management on 4 hour contracts. Sometimes sent home because store is quiet. They expect too much and pay you peanuts. No chance for career development. One hour of my pay would go on travel there. Constantly being overly chirpy is emotionally draining. Too much upselling to children. Money is their main focus.

Advice to Management

Don’t pull up on things your employees are doing wrong on the shop floor as it is humiliating.

Build-A-Bear2019-06-12
  9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Caring management, opportunity’s for Career Progression. I could not fault the company, i have worked here for 5 years.

Cons

non that i can think off, i have loved my time working here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Build-A-Bear2019-04-25
  10. "Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Fun, nice to make children’s day

Cons

Horrible targets that make you force sales on children which feels immoral, awful awful awful pay

Build-A-Bear2019-05-22