Build-A-Bear Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Build-A-Bear Reviews

Updated 12 Sep 2019

Found 639 reviews

3.6
Build-A-Bear CEO Sharon John (no image)
Sharon John
Pros
Cons
  • "minimum wage is hard to make a living on(in 35 reviews)

• "Part time employment was all I was looking for at the time, but it might be challenging to others who are seeking full time work(in 29 reviews)

1. "Great"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Great management fun environment and everyday is different

Cons

Pay isn't great, minimum plus a zero hour contract

Build-A-Bear2019-07-16
  2. "Not great"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Discount on bears and flexible hours

Cons

Boring and very repetitive every day

Build-A-Bear2019-08-16
  3. "Not good"

Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with kids Working with a lovely team

Cons

Working by yourself sometimes Long hours Management does not tell you anything Understaffed Not busy Expected to do the most work to be paid peanuts

Advice to Management

Management need to pull their finger out and listen to their team in order to be successful

Build-A-Bear2019-08-02
  4. "Middle of the road"

Current Employee - Chief Workshop Manager

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The guests are usually amazing - you genuinely meet some of the most incredible kids and adults and they are so grateful for helping make their day. My team is amazing and we are like a big family. The job can be really fun! We don't take ourselves seriously and each day is so different - you go from singing happy birthday to seeing a child's face light up when they get to give their bear traits. It's a... totally different type of retail and something new and fun despite how long you have worked in the sector for.

Cons

Communication isn't great. It's often last minute and the company changed their mind frequently. Plannograms and changeover guides are often only uploaded a few days before, or promo aren't sent through until the morning of the day they're supposed to change. You can often feel like a glorified Bear Builder because it's all about keeping the payroll tight, and it's hard to get off the floor to get rotas /... paperwork etc done. Being chirpy 100% of the time is seriously draining. You have to be at max energy all day and during peak, that is really tough! From time to time you get some of the rudest, most entitled guests who make a fuss over a stuffed toy. The focus on delivering amazing service is often overshadowed by the expectations to sell, sell, sell. If you aren't delivering metrics, it's "why?" when in actual fact sometimes it's out of your control despite having tried your best. There's inconsistency with reward and recognition, and I personally feel unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Let managers be managers and stop cutting hours. Communication needs to be fine tuned and more slick. Pay all BBs the same wage, rather than have a 17 year old earn over £2 an hour less then someone who's 25.

Build-A-Bear2019-07-16

"Waste of time."

Former Employee - Bear Builder in Bournemouth, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get rewarded with food and sometimes a free bear & get 30% discount and 50% during Christmas.

Cons

Everyone apart from management on 4 hour contracts. Sometimes sent home because store is quiet. They expect too much and pay you peanuts. No chance for career development. One hour of my pay would go on travel there. Constantly being overly chirpy is emotionally draining. Too much upselling to children. Money is their main focus.

Advice to Management

Don’t pull up on things your employees are doing wrong on the shop floor as it is humiliating.

Build-A-Bear2019-06-12
  6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Caring management, opportunity’s for Career Progression. I could not fault the company, i have worked here for 5 years.

Cons

non that i can think off, i have loved my time working here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Build-A-Bear2019-04-25
  7. "Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Fun, nice to make children’s day

Cons

Horrible targets that make you force sales on children which feels immoral, awful awful awful pay

Build-A-Bear2019-05-22
  8. "Retail assistant"

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Very friendly staff, nice work environment, everyone supports you and what your goals are. Store management in my branch were very kind and supported, giving constructive criticism in a fun way, and explaining why that criticism was brought up.

Cons

Pay isn't the best. You need a lot of enthusiasm for that job, and pay falls more on the lower side of the spectrum for retail assistants working in the city

Build-A-Bear2019-04-05
  9. "Pretty tough first job"

Former Employee - Bear Builder Associate

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent discount, can make good friendships

Cons

Incredibly high expectations in terms of customer service with very little training

Advice to Management

Very cliquey in the store that I worked in and if they don’t like you then that was kind of it. Called in sick once because of an anxiety attack, only to be interrogated by a senior member of staff as I was “fine yesterday” - complete misunderstanding about what anxiety is and how it can manifest.

Build-A-Bear2019-04-16
  10. "Great, fun place to work for your first job"

Former Employee - Bear Builder in Brierley Hill, England

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

As the title states, this is a fun place to work for your first job. The training you receive is thorough and you can receive additional training as and when you need it. Everyone works as team and you feel as though the managers are on your level and not above you.

Cons

You are sometimes expected to be pushy with customers to reach sales targets which an ultimately put customers off from spending more. Having to dress up in the bear costume for children's birthday parties is not a particularly pleasant experience. You can get pretty hot working there, especially if you get stuck on the stuffing machine all day.

Build-A-Bear2019-03-31