BuzzFeed Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

BuzzFeed Reviews

Updated Sep 12, 2019

Found 233 reviews

BuzzFeed CEO Jonah Peretti (no image)
Jonah Peretti
Pros
Cons
  • "LACK OF INNOVATION: Middle to upper management are so lost(in 9 reviews)

• "Company is expanding so fast so there are natural growing pains(in 8 reviews)

1. "Fresh company"

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Work for one of the most popular companies in the content creation sector. Great company culture and people

Cons

Overtime is expected. You got to churn out videos consistently.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for staff to find different career opportunities within the company.

BuzzFeed2018-06-20
  2. "Best job so far"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in London, England

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They always seem to get it right when hiring the right people, I've never worked with a better bunch of people - Benefits are not the worst I've ever had - I always feel motivated to go to work, never a dull day - Salary is very generous

Cons

- That "start-up" vibe has disappeared mostly, which is a shame. But I suppose that happens in most start up companies - Little opportunity to progress (in my field), not so much in others

BuzzFeed2019-07-02

"Stuck in start up mode"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Decent UK benefits (25 days holiday, 18 weeks full pay primary caregiver leave).

Cons

No overall company strategy

BuzzFeed2019-06-12
  4. "cliquey and stuck up"

Former Employee - Sales Staff in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BuzzFeed part-time for more than a year

Pros

staff discount always busy - never bored

Cons

most employees are stuck up and unapproachable management don't care about whatever concerns you take up with them constant overtime never recognised for hard work and always criticised on

BuzzFeed2019-02-12

"Utter Chaos"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for less than a year

Pros

- free lunch 2x a week - good snacks

Cons

- Restructures and re-orgs literally every few months. Makes it very hard to know what's going on, and it's clear that the guys at the top have no idea what they're doing - Pretend to be super progressive and liberal when in reality most leadership is white men and "boys clubs" exist throughout the company - promoting each other rather than deserving talent - Feels exploitative - they will add a ton more... responsibilities to your job but refuse to give the pay rises or promotions you deserve - which is probably all due to cutting costs and maximising profits. Why hire 3 people to do 3 jobs, when you could just make 1 person do it? - Lack of specialism - similar to above, they don't want to pay experienced people in their field to do certain roles, they ask existing staff - who have no idea what they're doing - to take on roles instead. There's a distinct lack of people who are "masters" in their field and there's no one to learn from. It's all about just winging it, and getting the job done, rather than quality or thought.

Advice to Management

- be more transparent about the diversity issues of upper management and actual work to tackle them rather than paying lip service - respect your employees and recognise their talent and hard work through actual monetary benefits, rather than assuming the BuzzFeed name and free snacks is enough reward - hire people who know what they're doing, instead of promoting internal favorites

BuzzFeed2018-07-08
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good people - Good organization that cares about people - Good wages (well, I'm in engineering so YMMV) - Flexible working (remote work, days off for personal stuff) - Good communication (SBI, Radical Candor, Authentic Communication).

Cons

Working across time zones can get tricky (overlap requires staying an extra hour or maybe going offline and having to come back online later). The organization doesn't enforce this, it's more something we as employees feel is a responsibility. So this isn't a con in the sense or "boo hoo they force us to work late", more - I wish there were more staff in certain localities that meant we didn't need to do... cross-over timezone meetings.

Advice to Management

Not sure what this box is for? - Are we able to give advice to management? Yes, 100% and it's encouraged. - Do I have advice for management? No, maybe more regular 'global all hand meetings' as they're super useful.

BuzzFeed2018-04-12

"They'll keep you hanging..."

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in London, England

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great people to work with -Pay for lunch 2 times a week and breakfast one time a week -Never boring, always changing, lots of work to be getting on with

Cons

-They'll promise you contracts and never fill the promises -Leaving staff 'come to an arrangement they will no longer be working for the company' e.g. the sack people every few months -Still act like a start up, processes confusing, pick up and drop people if and when they need them -Hard to progress at BuzzFeed UK

BuzzFeed2017-01-09

"Not what you think."

in London, England

I worked at BuzzFeed

Pros

. Free lunch twice a week. . Easy location for most people. . Looks good on CV.

Cons

. Terrible management, dishing out pay rises and managerial positions to anyone who has been there for 5 minutes often with disastrous consequences. The senior management in charge seem to have no idea on how to actually manage people or care about staff, they show blatant favoritism to those who are go most viral rather than supporting decent writers and as such this has lead to an uncomfortable work environment.... It's all targets and money which is disappointing given their 'quirky' outward appearance. . There is lots of talk and no action on pretty much everything and anything, including diversity which is a huge topic they've once again been all talk on. Question of equal pay is also brought up and then brushed under the carpet. . They force branded swag onto people at every given opportunity, it would make a difference if they paid people fairly or invested this money in training managers or team building instead of hoodies which half the people dont want. . NY office is over baring and controlling to UK, there is no respect for cultural differences and they are constantly told what to do by America regardless of how staff in UK feel. . Office has long been outgrown and is now incredibly cramped. . Terrible office atmosphere because the two sides of the office seem to be pitted against each other and labelled as 'church vs state' for no apparent reason other than terrible management and ludicrous hierarchy. On a good day you might hear someone cough out loud. . It seems to be a company-wide issue that people are promised progression and payrises which never materialize.

Advice to Management

Stop fobbing people off and get staff the answers they all deserve. Telling people they will be reprimanded for discussing unfairness in pay structure isn't a decent answer to gossip. If you want to preach about being the most innovative company and have your motto as 'no haters' then you need to invest in more than a free lunch in people.

BuzzFeed2016-09-27

"Get in, get experience, get out."

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks Free swag every year Some great, creative people as co-workers Looks good on your CV

Cons

Low pay with no chance of raises or promotion. Managers who actively discourage employees from discussing salaries (which is illegal) and who reprimand employees who've discussed their salary with others or try to get a raise. This happens across multiple departments. Lack of skills and knowledge by management to address the real problems in the company that prevent us from doing better work. A lot of... incompetent managers who skate along doing nothing and don't get fired. Big drain from the company of talented, smart people on both the editorial and business sides due to lack of respect, being treated like a content factory and absolutely no chance for any kind of career progression or even a salary rise when their annual review is due.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people and don't take forever to start reviewing pay and career paths because all the good ones will be gone by then. The more you replace truly creative, bright minds with old media business types, the more the spirit of the company dies. Offer people an incentive to stay on and dedicate years to this company beyond "it's Buzzfeed"

BuzzFeed2016-05-29

"Sink or swim"

Former Employee - Staff Writer

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

Buzzfeed's reach is HUGE - a single piece of your work will often be read by hundreds of thousands of people (and if it's a super-viral piece then we're talking millions). Colleagues are clever, innovative, content-savvy -- they know how to get stories shared. Other media companies will be impressed that you've worked there.

Cons

These observations only apply to my dept as I'm sure things vary across teams: Buzzfeed takes a short-term approach to its staff - you are disposable, turnover is high. Editors/managers put a lot of pressure on writers to produce a high volume of work, which in itself is okay, but they don't offer the training or support that's needed. Mentoring is almost non-existent. Employees who don't adapt/self-teach quickly... are fired. The attitude is "sink or swim."

Advice to Management

The rapid "hiring and firing" culture drags down team morale. Think carefully before hiring. Or maybe hire people on 6-month contracts to start with, so you can see if they're the right fit for the company, instead of firing them after 3-6 months if you don't like them.

BuzzFeed2016-01-20