BuzzFeed Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

3.5
BuzzFeed CEO & Co-Founder Jonah Peretti (no image)
Jonah Peretti
Pros
  • "Free lunch Monday and Wednesday(in 31 reviews)

• "The work environment is also super chill, you don't have any managers looking over your shoulders(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor management across the board with many failing upwards who don't know how to manage others well if at all(in 10 reviews)

• "LACK OF INNOVATION: Middle to upper management are so lost(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Intern"

5.0
    Former Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

I loved it here so much

Cons

Just wanted to try it out

2. "Okay"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Savannah, GA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

- The people are nice sometimes - Pay was good

Cons

- They've had 3 rounds of redundancies all in different years, so not very stable? - People are very clique-y, not a nice environment to work in

3. "Fun and Hardworking"

Former Employee - Creative in Olive Branch, MS

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, hardworking staff. Lots of amazing benefits and great in house infrastructure.

Cons

Unstable business model leading to regular rounds of redundancies.

"Good immediate culture, toxic at higher levels"

Former Employee - Writer in Providence, RI

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really good benefits, including complete dental cover. Two free lunches and one free breakfast a week, plus unlimited snacks (while I was there). Really good work/life balance – I was told straight away to never stay late as no one will be impressed. Good flexibility and opportunity to work from home if need be. Really lovely middle management. Almost everyone who worked there was lovely, interesting, and intelligent. I made some lifelong friends. The younger employees are genuinely very diverse. Not just the regular privately educated white writers. Lots of working class people, lots of non-white, non-straight people. Some opportunity for creativity if you make a good case for it. I learnt many new skills.

Cons

This company is now a redundancy machine and there is very little transparency on the companies future outlooks and earnings. Very toxic and secretive atmosphere in regards to unionisation, which is unusual for a British media outlet and quite hypocritical given the company's otherwise left-wing branding. The opportunities for personal and career growth rapidly declined post 2016 - the early opportunities for creativity and exploration were stunted when they realised the company is actually not very profitable. The middle management were actually all really wonderful, understanding, and supportive but the higher news editorial ere extremely toxic and inefficient. There are huge pay disparities and a lot of favouritism and bullying in the news team. However the editorial team was always lovely.

"Terribly run, awful leadership, great if you're a sexist white man"

Current Employee - Business in Macedonia, OH

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Free lunch twice a week. As much free kombucha as you want. If you're a white man, you can get paid a huge amount to do no work whatsoever. Also good news if you're a sexual harasser, the company will cover it up for you.

Cons

The company makes a massive play out of being a great place to work, a modern, progressive organisation. Every senior position is held by a white man, who go boozing with other senior white men while women do the grunt work, get overlooked for senior roles, and have to endure inappropriate sexual behaviour from their drunk male colleagues. Mass layoffs take place every year, so the mood in the place is always dire. The most hypocritical company ever: they want everyone to think they're liberal and kind and happy and progressive, in reality they treat their staff terribly, especially women.

Continue reading
  6. "Good perks"

Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England, England

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Great perks (food etc.) Fast-moving pace

Cons

Lacking in direction Diversity in managers

7. "Great people, good benefits, relaxed environment"

Current Employee - Senior Editor

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, support, likeminded people and great benefits like free lunches.

Cons

Constant reorging and a lack of communication from senior management.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch (2 days a week) and snacks.

Cons

The company has no long-term plan, resulting in frequent re-orgs and job losses every time they pivot towards a new, ill-thought-out venture. Those who survive the annual redundancies are left with a higher workload with no extra compensation. The underlying mood in the office is a mix of anxiety and passiveness, with everyone aware that their job could be cut at any moment. The complete lack of care towards the mental health of their employees is also disappointing.

Continue reading
  9. "Best job so far"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in London, England, England

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They always seem to get it right when hiring the right people, I've never worked with a better bunch of people - Benefits are not the worst I've ever had - I always feel motivated to go to work, never a dull day - Salary is very generous

Cons

- That "start-up" vibe has disappeared mostly, which is a shame. But I suppose that happens in most start up companies - Little opportunity to progress (in my field), not so much in others

"Stuck in start up mode"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Decent UK benefits (25 days holiday, 18 weeks full pay primary caregiver leave).

Cons

No overall company strategy

Viewing 1 - 10 of 311 Reviews