CGI Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

George D. Schindler
1,102 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is a challenge" (in 136 reviews)

• "Career growth is less unless until you get a good" (in 118 reviews)

1. "CGI put people first"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Solihull, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Solihull, England

I have been working at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked at CGI for several months, it is evident that the firm has a real focus on all of its members. Management have constantly listened to what the team need and how they want to develop, and immediately put a course in action. CGI is very attentive to its members and go above and beyond to make sure it is a happy vibrant place to work.

There is real opportunity to explore other industries and areas and management encourage that so that you can find your niche. I commend CGI and its practices and hope the structure remains as great in the future.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

Advice to Management

Continue the great work.

2. "Great people, great place."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, lots of opportunities.

Cons

Micromanagement, would be nice for more opportunities to work from home.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees!

3. "Finance"

I have been working at CGI full-time

Pros

large, ambitious company, work environment

Cons

To be honest there are not any i can think of

4. "Account Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities - good delivery capability

Cons

Top heavy governance, not enough young blood coming through, limited digital capability

5. "Great environment but has issues"

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Bridgend, Wales
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Bridgend, Wales

I have been working at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at CGI for less than 3 months.
    It is a fantastic place to work, very professional yet casual people who are very friendly and helpful. Training program was very good and the opportunities for career paths are fantastic.

Cons

I was very unhappy the first two weeks with my team as my team leader didn’t really care for me that often. I was just buddying for the point of a salary. I earned two months pay for training and buddying (not a bad thing just very boring)

Advice to Management

I wish for team leaders to pay more attention to the newer members insuring that they are ready to be left alone and that they understand what their day to day duties are.

6. "Bullies and liars"

I have been working at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few. The money and shares are not worth the stress and deceit.

Cons

Middle and upper management are liars and bullies.
    Honestly the most toxic environment I have ever encountered.
    Turnover of good staff is huge.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff.
    Stop bullying staff, stop pretending everything is "Green".

7. "Fulfilling and exciting career"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bridgend, Wales
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bridgend, Wales

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary slightly above market rate, flexible working from home, latest tech stack with latest developer tooling and a choice of exciting and rewarding projects. Excellent benefits such as yearly bonus, 18% pension (8% employee and 10% company) and monthly share rewards of 3% salary.

Cons

Internal HR processes expected of a large organisation

Advice to Management

Fantastic company to work for, listens to its members (employees). Supportive teams, exciting and rewarding projects feel you are making a difference.

8. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities. Skills are appreciated. Like the metro model.

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Appreciate that not everybody has the same emotional ties to the company (for some people it's just a job).

"Painfully Poor Pay and Advancement Opportunities"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Leatherhead, England
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Life Balance
    Good social atmosphere with co-workers
    Good pension benefits

Cons

- Terrible Pay rises. They are practically none existent, if you get a job here, make sure the staring pay is high. You will have it for a long time.
    - No support for employees. Training is non existent, switching project can take over a year, and nobody listens to any employee asking to change their work.
    - Manager Politics. Half these managers aren't necessary. They seem to exist from a company hierarchy from the 1960s where someone needed to play the foreman and watch the brick layers for a living. Nevertheless they are the only means for employees to move project, advance, and get training. The manipulation they use on employees with these strings is mortifying.
    - Projects that don't advance your abilities or give you skills you can use elsewhere.
    - Generally poor benefits compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

- Increase pay rises. Yes, this means telling people to increase pay rises, and then increasing them. Yes, it's that simple.
    - Make it easier to rotate projects. Set a hard limit of 3 months that a person has to spend on a project after saying they want to leave, and make that that. Yes projects may be unhappy, yes you will have to rotate other people too, yes that is the price for happy employees.
    - Remove the yearly normalised rating system that pits every employee against one another and their manager. Everyone knows that the rating is determined by how much your manager yells and pushes in the meeting. The system is ridiculous.
    - Create rewarding work opportunities. If someone wants to advance and use more modern systems, find a way to give them those opportunities. This is the hardest suggestion to even consider, but it would make a big difference.

"Meh"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary; sounded like interesting, challenging work and good sales pipeline.

Cons

0% pay rise after 15 months at company (so ~3% pay cut after inflation). Apparently this is a widespread phenomenon too. Only the second time it's happened to me in 18 years of working elsewhere. Not sure I'll hang around to see if it happens 2 years in a row, to be honest.

Almost all work described at interview didn't happen, so I was moved onto whatever work was around, often not suited to my actual experience. Not really sure how UK business makes money, haven't worked on any meaningfully profitable work since starting over a year ago!

I've had 3 "managers" in about 12 months, only 1 of which has any idea of my skillset. Of the other two, I've had ~20 minutes of conversation about my career plans total. Which may explain why my corner wasn't being defended come pay review time.

There are some really well paid people who really aren't worth what they're being paid.

Internal IT systems - dearie dearie the worst I've used in 18+ years of working. Truly horrible. Spent the first 6 weeks of my time at the company 100% on chargeable work but being harassed by HR/warned about potential redundancy because 'the system' didn't think I was chargeable. I mean, come on, this is just crazy.

Advice to Management

If you actually want to move into new business areas/latest areas of technology, you will have to invest in that effort, and make sure you have the right people doing it. Otherwise you risk just talking the talk and being left behind.

What is the average number of reports each D level manager has? Is it more than 15? Is it sometimes 30? Is that sensible?

Work out which people are actually worth keeping around, stick with them, hire more like them and get shot of the others.