DCA Design Reviews

Updated 15 Oct 2020

DCA Design Managing Director Rob Woolston (no image)
Rob Woolston
  1. "Good people interesting work"

Former Employee - Intern in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at DCA Design full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very welcoming team with an intimate working environment. Good access to professional support when working on projects.

Cons

Can be hard to work on the projects that you would like however this would likely get easier as you progress through the firm.

2. "Do not work here, there is no career progression"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at DCA Design full-time

Pros

Some interesting work if you are senior Great atmosphere amongst the graduates and young staff

Cons

Only get interesting projects based on who project managers choose Very high turnover of graduates due to being treated poorly Tasks given to individuals are insulting to their capabilities Overall students and graduates are treated poorly and management see them as cheap labour Not enough work for everyone to do leaving people without work for months

3. "A great place to start your career but not to develop it."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at DCA Design full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge pool of friendly and talented people to learn from, excellent facilities and support staff, interesting and cutting edge project work, and a relaxed working environment.

Cons

Majority of the work is for large international clients which can sometimes be slow and frustrating. There is no clear career progression path and your progression will occur based largely on what projects you work on and whether your face fits. You can find yourself without project work for months at a time which is very demoralising. Management is very top down with little chance to take initiative and have it go anywhere. Overall I enjoyed my time at DCA and learned a lot but opaque management makes it not a good place for someone to develop their career after a certain point.

Continue reading

"Friendly, talented staff make DCA a good platform to start your career, but it's rigid mentality is often detrimental."

Former Employee - Industrial Designer in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at DCA Design full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ A number of talented designers in which to learn from as a junior designer. + The large size & reputation of the agency is a good platform in which to advance your career beyond DCA. + Good facilities and equipment, such as fully equipped workshop with numerous types of 3D printers, Wacom Cintiqs for all the designers, etc. + Opportunities to visit inspirational design fairs across the globe. + Fairly relaxed work environment, with any overtime you do paid at 1.5x rate and early 13:30 finish on Fridays. + Fairly good salary that is probably slightly higher than average for a design agency. + Generally nice people, a group of whom I became good friends with.

Cons

- Often long spells of uninteresting project work, particularly in the area of FMCG. - A large percentage of projects are for giant corporations which seldom come to market. - There isn't much to do in the Warwick / Leamington Spa area. Living in Birmingham is a possibility but requires a long commute. - Staff are often frustrated at having very little influence over company decisions and direction, as much of the power at the company is with just 2 directors, whom come across quite secretive & controlling. - Some aspects of the company are quite old fashioned and set in their ways which can be frustrating. > As a whole I enjoyed my time at DCA and will always be grateful to those who really helped me progress as a designer, but I'm glad I decided to move on when I did.

"The people are great"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Royal Leamington Spa, England

I have been working at DCA Design full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority of people are talented, caring and sharing of their knowledge. They take time to help you. The projects are varied and can be interesting The leadership is willing to hear new ideas and implement them if you have a good enough case, even from the small guy They do invest time into training you Work hours are awesome. (Half day Fridays)

Cons

It's dominated a bit by medical projects at the top, which dictates engineering. This can annoy designers. Though times are changing. The work isn't always interesting. But it's a consultancy. It's in Leamington Spa The salary isn't great

"Micromanaging at its finest"

1.0
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Assistant in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at DCA Design full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked in the multimedia team for just under a year. Some lovely people at the company and a nice early finish on Friday.

Cons

Not sure why there are so many positives reviews in the last few months - must be the directors writing them... It was a redundant role with no progression and low salary. The directors micromanaged the hell out of everything. I couldn't even post a tweet without a director looking at it. Had to sit through meetings with directors who think they know everything and want to hear from the 'experts'- not you. As an assistant role, this should have been a managers job dealing with difficult directors who spoke appallingly to management to the point of my manager leaving.

Continue reading
  7. "A good place to work"

I have been working at DCA Design full-time

Pros

Consulting work means you get to work on different projects in a variety of areas The team is very good and you work with excellent colleagues It is a very nice working environment with money spent on keeping the studios good Good benefits package Paid overtime Finish at 1:30 on Friday

Cons

Ups and downs with consulting work can mean you have some weeks with too much to do and other weeks with not quite enough to do

Continue reading

"Worthwhile projects at a company that appreciates employee worth"

I worked at DCA Design

Pros

Surrounded by talented staff. Multi-disciplinary work. Projects consist of mighty technical challenges and offer lots to learn. Great perks and bonuses such as paid overtime, excellent work/life balance and lovely culture.

Cons

Can get stuck on the same project for too long, something that can be resolved with enough discussion with the appropriate people.

"Manager"

Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at DCA Design

Pros

The agency is very well organised and friendly. There is a good level of cooperation with staff across the board. Very professional atmosphere. Long standing reputation for employing talented staff. 4.5 day working week is very attractive for work/life balance.

Cons

Senior Management are obsessive with making profit at the detriment of managing and sustaining loyal Clients. Need to broaden the subject matter of projects to better retain staff. Some staff are stuck on a single project for years - can get very boring.

Continue reading

"Profiting, but frustratingly backwards"

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at DCA Design full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great legacy, founded in the 60s with a huge and varied portfolio of work. Big projects for large global companies. Benefits! Paid overtime, half day Friday's, regular bonuses, subsidised sports and lunches. The company is in great financial position, meaning good equipment, training, and exhibition visits. Passionate and talented teams with great capabilities.

Cons

Like many of the reviews mentioned on here... DCA feels like it's stuck in the past. Conservative management that love to say 'no, if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Internal systems are frustrating and backwards (most still done on excel spread sheets). People are friendly, but atmosphere still feels cold, impersonal and quiet offices. Can be difficult to work in varied sectors and disciplines. Procedures and red tape doesn't encourage flexible and collaborative work. Work can sometimes be unfulfilling. Reviewing staff isn't a priority, took me months to get a review despite requesting. Warwick and Leamington are small midland towns and can be a bit quiet.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 English Reviews