DKMS Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Henning Wrogemann
  1. "Great Company!!"

Coordinator in London, England

I worked at DKMS

Pros

Everyone is funny, interesting, friendly and will welcome you with open arms. The company, plays strong empathises on growth and development.

Cons

none, great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Great going as you are!

DKMS2016-07-29
  2. "Don’t get involved!"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in London, England

I worked at DKMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for a great cause.

Cons

Management is a mess and there is a bullying culture. They don’t encourage their staff todo training.

Advice to Management

Stop the gossiping with other staff and work with staff.

DKMS2019-09-16

"Meaningful cause, awful processes and even worse management"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Assistant in London, England

I worked at DKMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a great, emotive cause that you can get behind.

Cons

Senior management are liars and middle management can get away with pinning failures on you and lying to you. There's a lack of transparency in their processes, it trails behind in innovation compared to other charities and they have unrealistic expectations on their progression.

DKMS2019-07-25
  4. "Good People/Poor Everything Else"

Current Employee - Donor Services Specialist

I have been working at DKMS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great People - Generous PTO Package - Great Mission

Cons

- Salary - Poor Management - Evaluation Structure

DKMS2019-10-03
  5. "Room for promotion"

Former Employee - Donor Relations in New York, NY

I worked at DKMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

They promote from within...small office!

Cons

Management was all over the place

DKMS2019-08-19

"Great Cause, Not Great Management"

I have been working at DKMS full-time

Pros

The cause is wonderful and makes you feel good to be a part of an important mission. Good people.

Cons

Not great pay, upper management is a mess.

DKMS2018-06-25
  7. "One of the best experiences of my career"

Current Employee - College Outreach Assistant in Washington, MO

I have been working at DKMS part-time for less than a year

Pros

My job is to help save lives. How can you beat that?

Cons

There are some sad times. We're not always able to find a match for a patient in need, and we lose some battles. The wins outweigh the loses in the end, but the job itself, as opposed to the company, can be heavy on the heart at times. The thing about DKMS is, we all feel it together. Every loss, every win, every day, we laugh and cry together as we fight against blood cancer and blood diseases.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have for the management I am under is to take care of herself. She is hard working, dedicated, driven, and an amazing boss. I admire her more than she'll know (unless she sees this review, in which case, Hi, Joyce!), and I hope she always remembers to take a little time for herself while she's conquering this nonprofit management thing.

DKMS2018-04-23

"Points for trying"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at DKMS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours...work from home policy...time off between Christmas and New Year...summer fridays....company supplied mobile phone and laptop...opportunities for advancement...opportunities for continuing education...bonus structure...competitive salary...reasonable benefits package...focus on diversity...great mission...snacks were provided

Cons

Terrible infrastructure and technology issues...young and inexperienced CEO...management direction came from European HQ and didn't always translate to the US office experience -- same with branding and messaging direction...major communication issues between departments...unreasonable goals were set without addressing major infrastructure and management challenges

DKMS2017-05-01

"Change in Management Needed!"

Current Employee - Recruitment

I have been working at DKMS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The everyday people who work for this organization are amazing people who want to make a difference.

Cons

As other have said, upper management is the absolute worst here. I don't think any of them even have half a clue as to what they are doing but are good at taking credit for other's work. One day everyone suddenly became a VP overnight, it was almost as if we rewarded them for their inadequecies. New Chief Development officer is basically paid to be home and let the two people under her do everything. Everyone... knows these people do the bare minimum to get a nice paycheck yet hardworking staff is thrown pennies and given triple the work load.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding poor work ethic! Get rid of the dead weight and maybe you'd have a more successful company. Your middle management is strong and well respected. People would give you a lot more credit if you promoted these people rather than recruit outside. Reward your hard workers or you will be pushing them to look for a company that will acknowledge them and compensate fairly. The self appointed VPs and... Chiefs don't need anymore praise for their mediocrity, it's literally a running joke in the office. Stop cutting funds in the wrong places. Healthcare is important, fair salary is important, how you treat people is important! Free coffee, lame summits, and occasional snacks are not important.

DKMS2017-05-09

"Sadly going downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DKMS full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people! Most employees here are extremely dedicated to their work and the company mission.

Cons

The upper management is terrible. As someone who works under middle management, I find it very alarming some of the people in "VP" positions are in charge of anything let alone being the people making major decisions. When they talk in larger meetings, you can just tell they are clueless. Everyone knows none of these people are capable of doing their jobs but luckily for them and unfortunate for others, they... have people under them (middle management) who actually do know what they are doing and do all of their work for them less the credit and I'm sure far less the pay (look at the 990-if these people could do their jobs, okay but the current people and their salaries are ridiculous). My boss may be a younger first time manager but he is probably 10x more qualified for a"VP" position than any current individual in that position.

Advice to Management

As I have noticed with this company, any advice employees give regarding their managers falls on deaf ears. I would however say really look at your employees, you have a lot of very overworked staff in multiple departments (DM!). People will go above and beyond for an employer who appreciates them and compensates them fairly. There are a lot of people not being compensated fairly and you will probably end up... losing the real talent of the organization if you keep burying people in work and not compensating fairly.

DKMS2017-05-04