DRW Reviews

Updated 14 Mar 2020

4.1
DRW Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Pros
Cons
  • "Very little collaboration with traders(in 10 reviews)

• "If you are very early in your career or if you want to have a very good work/life balance, this is a good company(in 6 reviews)

1. "Trader"

5.0

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

You're always working with smart people and the offices are pretty great.

Cons

Discretionary bonus structure can be opaque and abused by managers if left unchecked.

DRW2018-07-13

July 30, 2018Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Our people are truly our greatest asset at DRW, and we’re happy to hear you enjoyed working with intelligent colleagues. While our compensation structure does provide flexibility to reward high performing employees, we also understand that the process to determine discretionary bonuses may seem opaque. Thank you for your feedback.

2. "Great for responsibility, good for money"

Current Employee - Trader in London, England

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High degree of responsibility early on. Steep learning curve in the market, but support on that front is good.

Cons

Atomised trading units, communication between teams is not encouraged. This is positive in the sense that you live and die by your own performance, however it leaves the feeling that there are missed opportunities to share experience, expertise and tech in a way that is mutually beneficial.

DRW2019-05-31

September 6, 2019Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW on Glassdoor. We’re happy to hear you felt supported during your onboarding to the firm. We are continually looking at ways to allow for thoughtful communication between teams, and see this as an area of focus for leadership.

"Strong company"

4.0

I have been working at DRW

Pros

Good compensation, firm has strong risk appetite

Cons

Not the most collaborative environment

DRW2018-12-01

May 3, 2019Global Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience at DRW on Glassdoor.

4. "Good Company w good name to trade on the back of"

I worked at DRW

Pros

Smart forward thinking people, respectable name

Cons

can be difficult to advance on certain desks. Legacy desk heads in some ways

DRW2017-11-21

December 4, 2017Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. Giving people opportunities to grow really matters at DRW, and we’re glad to hear the barriers to this aren’t widespread. It will remain an area of focus for us.

5. "Good place for self-motivated individuals"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Singapore

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

One can get access to good resources and subscriptions for research. Environment is fast paced and flexibility on work hours.

Cons

A lot depends on your individual team and sometimes internal politics can be detrimental to growth/output.

DRW2020-03-15

May 12, 2020DRW moderator

Thanks for the honest assessment. Our values certainly reflect our trust in our employees to seek new challenges, contribute in expected and unexpected ways and to challenge each other to think in new ways. We’re sorry you encountered some internal road blocks, but we appreciate you calling it out.

6. "Overall good"

5.0
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart employees and good culture

Cons

Eat what you kill. If your product doesn't make money then you don't get paid. Traders do not share in the diversity and advantage of the overall firm trading different products in Equities, Fixed Income, Agriculture, Currency's, etc...

DRW2020-02-26

March 24, 2020DRW moderator

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW on Glassdoor. We’re excited about some of the new programs we’ve introduced to help incentivize collaboration where it makes sense for the firm and look forward to your ongoing feedback. We value the opinions of tenured employees like yourself and will share your feedback with leadership.

7. "Great benefits, lousy managers"

2.0
    Former Employee - Agent De Asigurari

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Free breakfast & lunch and in house masseuse

Cons

Management was not that great

DRW2020-02-02

February 11, 2020DRW moderator

Thank you for sharing the experience you had with your manager while at the firm. It’s important to us to create a culture where people can grow, which includes developing strong managers. We will share your feedback with the team in Montreal.

8. "Good culture, unorganized work"

Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- A lot of perks - Good culture

Cons

- The work is all over the place - Managers are promoted based on seniority, not competence

DRW2020-01-05

February 4, 2020Global Head of Talent Acquisition

While we appreciate the positive feedback on our culture and perks, your insights on what was challenging are even more helpful, so thank you. Certainly the nature of a trading firm is to be opportunistic, which brings some amount of pivoting but we also want to make sure our teams feel those shifts are intentional when it affects their priorities. Our hope is that some of the new tools we’ve put in place help drive that alignment and awareness but it’s something we’ll be mindful of moving forward. If you’re open to sharing more about your situation, HR or your manager would benefit from hearing more details.

9. "Fast paced"

Former Employee - Real Time Trader in Montreal, QC

I worked at DRW full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment and good team

Cons

unsustainable work culture due to odd hours

DRW2019-12-30

February 4, 2020Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing your feedback. Having a good team and a laid-back environment are important to us and part of how we actively seek to balance the demands of the job. We recognize that some of the assets we trade create atypical schedules and appreciate you sharing your perspective.

10. "good company"

Former Employee - Trader

I worked at DRW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High upside if very successful

Cons

Pretty segmented, not a lot of teamwork

DRW2019-12-11

February 3, 2020DRW moderator

It’s always good to hear from people who were with our firm for a long time. As you know, DRW’s business strategies are very diverse, and some projects benefit from more autonomous work than others. Thank you for sharing your experience on Glassdoor.

Found 102 reviews