Glassdoor Alert: Attempt to Inflate Reviews

We have evidence that someone has taken steps to artificially inflate the rating for this employer in violation of our Community Guidelines. We have addressed the issue. Please exercise your best judgment when evaluating this employer. Learn more about Glassdoor Alerts.

Element Events Reviews

Updated 19 Oct 2020

2.5
Pros
  • "For me working with element events gave me a way to gain experience coming into an industry that was foreign to me(in 4 reviews)

• "There are no pros of working at this company(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some would say it can be long hours or the fact that it is commission but there is a lot of good money to be made if you listen and work hard(in 8 reviews)

• "A young lad who is nice enough, but sadly buys into this pyramid scheme completely(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Rewarding role and campaigns I work on"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Element Events full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don't want to say that the job is easy or is the best in the world. What we do takes good discipline and work ethic. What we do for the clients and the customers we meet is very rewarding. All the campaigns we work on have something to give back to the community and I am proud of my involvement in it.

Cons

The training is very intense and covers pretty much everything from basic customer service to campaign management. Standards are high in order to meet quality requirements.

"Good for vulnerable students"

Former Employee - Street Sales in Manchester, England

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people with high energy

Cons

AWFUL pyramid scheme which will take advantage of your hard work. Expend to receive 20% of the money you earn, where does the other 80 go? In Carltons back pocket of course

3. "Dreadful"

Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Element Events full-time

Pros

Some colleagues are very easy to get along with

Cons

It’s a pyramid scheme! Don’t trust them as far as you can throw them

"Scam company with unprofessional recruiters now known as PARAGON EVENTS MARKETING"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros of working at this company.

Cons

Face to face selling doesn't appear to be in this companies vocabulary even though that is essentially the job you will be doing. They have recently changed their name to Paragon Events Marketing and when I asked them why they changed their name they called back to see where I had gotten my information (presumably to try and remove this information) and they never got back to me. Don't be scammed by the unprofessional, pushy recruitment process and keep an eye out for PARAGON EVENTS MARKETING.

Continue reading

"Scam - FACE to FACE STREET SELLING"

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Internship in Manchester, England

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

None - the staff a treat you with no respect

Cons

Complete Scam - Face to Face street selling No bonuses are paid No aspects of the job require any Business or Marketing which I was told this 'graduate' scheme would enhance.

"Developing face to face experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Manchester, England

I have been working at Element Events full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the team has helped develop more confidence dealing with people face to face, whether it is a customer, client or even a colleague. I am more proactive in the meetings, more involved and not afraid of sharing my opinion when backed up with facts and evidence. The director values honesty and hardwork.

Cons

Dealing with people every day requires a certain passion. Not for the job itself but at least for the development you are getting from it and the career you get into.

"Do NOT work for this company"

Former Employee - Distribution in Manchester, England

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people I'm choosing to believe are unaware of the reality of this company (those who have been there a matter of weeks like I was) are pleasant enough. - If you're happy to spend 10 hours a day being looked down on by passers by, sworn at and abused by the public for next to no money AND you have no desire for any type of work/life balance, there are admittedly some good chances for career progression. But there's a reason why they have to hire around 5 new employees in the Manchester office every week just to keep afloat. The job is only worthwhile if you have absolutely nothing or nobody else in life.

Cons

Where to start? - They prey on people, graduates or, most commonly those fresh out of school or sixth form, with no experience in the workplace. People who are unlikely to know better. - Something that should have been a warning sign right from the off; they interview and subsequently hire you within 48 hours of you first applying for a position without vetting or training you. The two "training days" at the start of your employment are unpaid and involve no real training, just the signing of contracts/personal information. - During the interview process you are told you will earn £250 p/w no matter how many sales you make (you need 3 or 4 a day depending on the type of sale to reach close to £250 over 5 working days). This basic pay is codified NOWHERE in the contract (which you are given no time to fully read as you and other newbies are herded into a room and asked to quickly sign some documents via a link sent to your phone), and the contract also states that "no promises made by the company/interviewers either in writing or spoken are guaranteed by the company" (paraphrased). Therefore this mythical £250 p/w is just that; a myth or, more accurately, a lie. I worked there for 2 weeks and have, as of this moment, have not even been paid the commission I earned when working at Element Events. - The second interview, the "field" interview, is absolutely shambolic. Mine, for example, was run by the guy who became my leader. A young lad who is nice enough, but sadly buys into this pyramid scheme completely. In the field interview (I was lucky enough to be driven to the field and so incurred no cost, but I've seen people being interviewed in the field forced to pay for a £15 train ticket from Manchester to Stoke just to partake in the interview), you are sat down in a cafe or some such not far from the event being run by whoever's interviewing you. You are set generic tasks ("where do you see yourself in 5 years?" etc) and periodically checked on. After running through the tasks and some information about the job (nothing too specific of course), you are told that you have to make it back to office on your own for the final stage of the interview and must scamper away. - During the interview, as well as the £250 base pay, you are also lead to believe that the job will not be repetitive and will offer a good work/life balance, whereas in reality the job had me commuting to the office to be there by 7:30am and didn't once return home before 8pm, one time I got home at 10:45pm, having been informed that drinks at a bar (which turned out to be more work, going over paperwork from the day) was all but mandatory. Onto the job itself... - Upon arriving at the office (I was usually in at around 7:15am due to public transport schedules), you are corralled into a small, very humid room known (assumedly mockingly) as "Atmosphere". Whereupon you are instructed to practice your "pitch" repeatedly until the words are meaningless in your head until the manager or one of the team leaders enters the room. At this point, a bizarre ritual begins in which "teams" are announced, with every word being shouted back as if you are reciting a pledge of allegiance. - After this ritual straight out of a cult, you are talked to by the manager, who will spin a yarn about how he started from nothing. He will tell you that "a day can change a decade" and to trust in the systems of the job. He will patronise you as you stand in what feels like 40' heat for another half hour, before you are finally sent out into the field. - The job itself is literally nothing more than being a "street salesperson". You are on your feet for around 9 hours, between 9am when you go to the field and 6pm when you begin to leave your location. During this time your job is to smile and try to convince people to change their energy supplier. - At this point, you are supposed to be counting your interactions. Without going into too much detail, you are encouraged that a "law of averages" exists in which if you speak to a certain amount of people, you are guaranteed a certain amount of sales and therefore commission pay. - This is the core principle behind two things I am going to specify are inherent lies told to you by the higher-ups. Firstly, the "gumball" theory that Carlton favours, purports that, if a gumball machine has 95 red gumballs, and 5 green ones, you are guaranteed to find the 5 green ones at any point if you take all 100 out, whether it's right at the start, right at the end or scattered through the middle. This is a lie. There is no guarantee that 5 out of every 100 people are going to want to switch energy supplier. I'm furious with myself that I believed it even for the week and a half that I did. - The next lie is the lie of the "bell curve". This purports that 10% of people will just walk past you without stopping, 10% will stop and switch and the other 80% might stop, but won't switch. For a start, this does not even line up mathematically with the gumball theory (so which is it, Element?). Also, in practice you will find that, without fail, the number of people that walk past without stopping far exceeds the proposed "10%", it is much more like 90%. - The amount of times I’ve had to smile happily and tell somebody to have a nice day after they have patronised me, verbally abused me or just completely blanked me is absolutely abhorrent. I don’t blame the people I experience this from, I usually keep my head down and keep walking if approached by people in the street too. I blame Element who expect your “attitude” (a word that, among others like “pitch practice”, you will be sick of within a week if you work here) to not take a hit. There’s almost certainly more, and I would love nothing more than to air all this horrific company’s dirty laundry here. I’m just going to end with a direct plea to any person reading this considering applying for or taking a job with Element Events. Do not do it, pursue any other avenue open to you. They are liars, they are a pyramid scheme and they take advantage of idiots like me who didn’t do their research before applying. Don’t be like me.

Continue reading

"Best Experience To Date!!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, family atmosphere, incredible progression opportunities, evenings out, opportunity to develop personal and professional skills, positive and motivating vibes, in-depth training!

Cons

None, especially if you commit to the role and give it 110%.

Continue reading

"Best work experience in life, work for it!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Manchester, England

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

Open to knowledge sharing and learning, encouragement for developing on company knowledge, interaction with cross-cultural & cross-functional teams. A free environment to work and implement new ideas.

Cons

Not all bosses( Immediate managers) are that good, so a quality of employee needs to be maintained.

Continue reading

"Stepping stones to a whole different life"

Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Element Events full-time for less than a year

Pros

My role consisted of direct marketing campaigns in the North West for the most part, with clients and business and of course at events as well. I had the opportunity to partake in rigorous training that took me through everything that I needed to know. Mentally challenging, which I thrive with.

Cons

When you succeed, like anything it was the best feeling. When you failed to hit your own personal targets it effects moral and motivation. Similarly for any targeted role

Viewing 1 - 10 of 48 English Reviews