Pret A Manger - Worst company to work for | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
Cons
  • "I'm often on shifts where team members are talking to each other in front of me in polish" (in 26 reviews)

• "Sometimes working extra long hours and extra days in the week" (in 24 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pret was the best company 10 years ago, they were more about the people and it was beat place to work

Cons

now the company is just about the profit also it is run like mafia organisation where it is about who you know, the team member are over worked and managers are always working with fear, the way the company is going it will not last long.

Advice to Management

Get back to basic, care about the team and always listen to the little people, also be open and get rid of some top management who are so corrupt.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"No sick pay? Bad new rules"

Current Employee - Team Member in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in London, England

I have been working at Pret A Manger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed particularly how my team were helpful and always cheered when there were hard times
    Good pay but not the best one to break my back
    Nice free events with cheap wines and food, I've got sick from Pret parties
    Free food as staff food, healthy yes, but after a while you can't live with just sandwiches, ready food is never that healthy, healthier a portion of chicken soup made from me I bet!

Cons

Well, I'm sick with fit notes from doctors and Pret since this year, I guess, doesn't pay anymore for sicknesses, now I need to fill up the statutory sick form to send to a job center, it would be fair enough but my manager doesn't know how to fill the spot where it is asked why Pret doesn't pay me... That's quite weird then I have to struggle to see my money and therefor to pay the rent...what an unprofessional company I can tell...
    Not paid overtime
    Abuse of power most part of the times (I felt on my skin few times)
    Incorrect wadges, my management doesn't know what is a calculator or how to read a rota correctly

Advice to Management

If you want to make our life harder just do it in the correct way, I'm really disappointed with some events that are happened in this last few months in Pret, you should cope a bit better and in-charge with responsibilities someone who actually know what are the real rules, laws and policies, Pret does rules for itself but it doesn't mean that you have the right to don't follow the ones made from doctors or the state, management in my shop has a lack of professionalism.

"Disappointed"

I worked at Pret A Manger part-time

Pros

The staff is usually very nice and friendly, I really enjoyed meeting them.

Cons

There's too much pressure.They overwork their staff with little compensation.Any bad move and you lose the bonus, and the work in the kitchen is incredibly difficult and they stay past their schedule but they don't get anything for it.Pret used to be about having a happy staff and happy costumers, now it's just about the money. They keep feeding people this image of "happiness, good times, best place in the world!!" that when you really start working there you become very surprised and disappointed.I quit my job just after 3 weeks because I was feeling physically sick and they gave me insane shifts to do without my permission.

Advice to Management

If you see that people are overworked and they can't keep up with the standards, hire more staff!And there are too many irrational rules to follow.When the staff says that something is "unfair" or "impossible to do" don't just say "that's how things work at Pret".

Discover more reviews about Pret A Manger.