Ensighten Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.7
Ensighten CEO Josh Manion
Josh Manion

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good technology; good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, very down to earth and executives very approachable (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management should care about their employees (in 7 reviews)

• Often people let go are some of the best we have (in 4 reviews)

"Great team but lack of vision from leadership"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in London, England

I worked at Ensighten full-time

Pros

The UK team, specifically in engineering, were some of the most genuine, intelligent and all-round nicest people you could hope to work with.
    Some of the products are very good

Cons

Upper management lacked a clear vision and wouls regularly would shift their focus to something else.
    Lots of cuts (even when it was promised there would be no more)

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees (we didn't hear from the CEO for over 6 months)

"💀💀💀"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Ensighten full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The UK team (particularly engineering) are the most talented, friendly people I've worked with. I would work with them again in a heartbeat.
    - Culture in the London office is great.
    - There are lots of interesting engineering challenges.
    - It makes other companies look better by comparison.

Cons

- The main product is a smorgasbord of technical debt and poorly implemented new features.
    - The CTO's main qualification appears to be 'owns a computer'.
    - The CEO hasn't been heard from in many, many months.
    - Mass firings every six months or so. Always with the assurance that it's the last time because they've righted the ship this time.
    - Lots of people have resigned without being replaced, leaving a skeleton of a product team and no HR department in some offices.
    - If you need as much as a stapler, you need to ask the CFO directly. He will refuse.

Advice to Management

- Focus on the stuff that works (DI, Pulse) and champion it.
    - Communicate with your employees. Not business talk and meaningless buzzwords, real words that humans would actually say. Don't disappear for months when things get tough.
    - Seek new employment. I hear McDonalds are hiring.

"Great people, directionless company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Ensighten full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people I worked with were great. I went to work everyday with my friends.
    - Base salary was quite good.
    - Decent office with lots of snacks and drinks.
    - Excellent head of engineering.

Cons

- Lack of ownership across the business, commonly nobody steps forward when a problem happens.
    - Complete lack of company goals and direction.
    - Numerous US meetings outside of UK business hours.
    - Multiple rounds of redundancies due to poor planning and poor hiring processes leaving the company with "hiring debt".
    - What was done well wasn't celebrated enough.
    - Major collaboration issues across key teams.
    - Many employees act on ignorance, causing issues for other teams.
    - Team leads unwilling/powerless to address attrition.
    - Lack of career growth.

Advice to Management

- Focus on creating a direction for the company.
    - Pay attention to the low moral of the employees and address attrition.
    - Don't go back on promises made regarding holding company social events.

"Could be great"

Pros

- Employee benefit scheme. Access to a lot of benefits inside and outside of work.
    - Flexible working arrangements if required.

Cons

- The people running the company.
    - Feels like constant chopping and changing with what the focus of the company is.
    - Will see a problem, say they are going to take action but tends to just re-appear a month or two later. Sometimes not addressed so as not to cause friction between teams.
    - Try to work in the same way as larger or more established company but usually processes are poorly thought out or if thought out well then they are executed poorly.
    - Constant frustrations with software and clients.
    - Career opportunities can be limited sometimes.
    - Staff paid poorly in different locations.

Advice to Management

Focus on having polished, non buggy products. It makes the day to day life of employees so much easier.

Listen to your employees frustrations and do something about them. If people don't like how things are being done either tell them why it's best done that way or do something about it.

"I enjoy going to work"

I have been working at Ensighten full-time

Pros

- Good product, applicable to all sorts of businesses
    - Well known clients
    - Good environment to work in, friendly/fun people, music in the office
    - Decent employee benefits- gym membership, many beers in the office also lots of popcorn and nuts.
    - Intellectually stimulating, bright people, interesting, fun and friendly people from a variety of place and backgrounds
    - Socially good: out for pub lunches at least once a week, organised activities (e.g. pub crawls, volunteering days, home brewing our own beer), some employees go to the gym together at lunchtime, pizzas etc. delivered to the office from time to time
    - Decent hardware
    - Attractive comp./commission scheme
    - Flexibility- working from home is allowed
    - Good support network, able to approach anyone for advice, problem solving etc. including those based in the US office
    - Feel valued as an employee and a person

Cons

- Some benefits have been cut due to pressure from investors but circumstances make sense.
    - Some more branding in the office e.g. vinyls on the walls wouldn't go amiss, make it seems a bit more like 'our' office.
    - Although most of it is good, some of the calling and employee wellness software we use could be better

Advice to Management

A bit more clarity of how the products are packaged would be good. Otherwise, we have a good team who are great working with.

"Rewarding place to work"

I have been working at Ensighten full-time

Pros

Has been a rewarding place to work over the time I have been at the company. There's a great opportunity to work with leading brands and with some really talented team members. The working conditions are flexible and there are good perks such as snacks, drinks and gym contributions

Cons

The direction of the company can shift very quickly, the decision to broaden the product focus over the past couple of years has really damaged the business. These mistakes have allowed the competition to really close ground and overtake us in some areas.

Communication from leadership is not regular or consistent enough. Global all hands meetings are almost impossible to follow due to poor conference facilities and has been the case for more than 2 years

Advice to Management

Commit to communicating to staff regularly, not just in patches

Learn from previous mistakes

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ensighten (More than a year)

Pros

Ensighten is a great company to work with. Career opportunities are available and career path is defined. Multi-cultural environment makes is positive place to work. You are always appreciated for your hard work and acknowledged to be valuable member of the team. Quarterly performance reviews make it easier to self analyse your performance and help you improve. Bonuses are paid out quarterly and you don't have to wait for an year to find out where you have missed. CEO addresses the global team regularly and shares his vision.

Cons

Sometimes the plans may go wrong with big organizations and same has happened with Ensighten in the past. Management has slowed down and rethinking their strategies moving forward.

Advice to Management

Take time to plan and then act. Do not repeat mistakes and do sensible hiring.

"Fast paced, market leader"

Current Employee - Manager of Solutions Consulting (EMEA) in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager of Solutions Consulting (EMEA) in London, England

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having been with the company for nearly 4 years I can say that Ensighten is a great company to work for. As with all companies there are ups and downs, especially moving from early days as an innovative, tech start-up to a larger, more established organisation. It's fast paced, requires dedication and hard work, but the outcome and enjoyment of seeing the company grow and the products evolve provides a lot of job satisfaction.

To summarise some of the key points:

- Innovative market leaders
    - Smart team of people
    - Collaborative environment
    - Good pay and benefits
    - Great new office space
    - UK very focussed on employee motivation, satisfaction and personal growth & development

Cons

As mentioned being at a company that grows so fast it doesn't always go to plan and sometimes you have to slow down and rethink your approach/strategy.

Going through the process of reorganising the workforce and streamlining the business isn't pleasant, but is crucial for long term growth, sustainability and to ensure the company is going to last. Ensighten has come though this and is now in a very good position.

The hours can be long at times, but this is expected given the pace of innovation and growth of the company and to be fair, when you enjoy the work you do, it doesn't feel like a chore to put in the extra effort.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is to be more open at times, to communicate on a global basis more regularly (which they have started to do).

"Customer Success"

I have been working at Ensighten full-time

Pros

Great products, exciting space, big customer impact.
    Ensighten has great solutions and some fantastic customer relationships - when these things come together the projects are fantastic to work on internally and externally.

Cons

Could be better at demonstrating the impact of the solutions within sales and choosing how to sell and who to sell to. Even if solutions can do everything its not always desired. This will lead to better projects.

Advice to Management

Try and keep the number of goals or targets down to a few key targets per team - Too many goals means mixed messages, which creates confusion in the teams as to how best to spend time.

"Mediocre at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Ensighten (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome teams
    Well versed people in their field
    Good atmosphere

Cons

US/UK split
    HR doesnt take constructive feedback well at all
    EMEA office treated as a second class citizen
    EMEA head management lacking in most ways
    Management only want to know whats in it for them
    Promising things that couldn't be delivered
    No real direction in terms of goals
    "Well being" app Motivii for tracking employees motivation
    The company at times

Advice to Management

Start again with who is in charge in the London office and make the office feel like its more than a remote/satellite/second class place. Move to an office that is good for everyone and not just closer to MD's metro station. Get a HR team that actually knows what they are doing or make it look like they know what they are doing .

If i had know how bad top management was I really wouldn't of applied for a job, I feel like I have wasted my life at this job, I think you should also add delusions of grandeur to company perks.

Ensighten Response

21 Jun 2016 – Head of People Operations, EMEA

Thanks for taking your time to write a review for Ensighten. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere and working with well versed people in our awesome team. At the same time, we’re sad... More