EventMobi Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Bob Vaez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to start"

Current Employee - N/A in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - N/A in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at EventMobi full-time

Pros

The work culture and people are definitely what will get you!
    I've been with EventMobi for a while now, and it still doesn't get old.

EventMobi is a growing company with a lot of growth to be had. If you are ambitious, new to the work force and full of ideas and patience, this is a great place to be.
    That being said, because there is still a lot of growth, if you are experienced and well-seasoned in your career, this could be a great company to take on.
    Feedback is valued heavily, and Bob/Marketing and Operations are really taking initiatives to improve employee experience.
    There are a lot of incredible opportunities to learn and be heard at this company.
    Although many complain that EventMobi has "lost perks", there are still plenty of perks of working here.
    Staff take their time to hire the right people so that there is a strong dynamic in the workplace.
    There are more work activities here than any other place I've ever worked at. As for onboarding, there is also plenty of opportunities to meet new people in the company.
    In general, the people make it.
    The connections you make at work are crucial, you spend most of your day with these people. The people at EventMobi make me want to go to work every day.
    The massage chair is pretty great too.

Cons

There are a lot of senior people leaving, which as seen in other reviews on here is something that we can be afraid of. This change can be seen as a negative or as a positive since it means restructuring and a new direction in the company. It just depends on how you look at it- if you fear change or not.

If you fear change, this is not the company for you. If you embrace change, it is.

Advice to Management

Despite what I've read here, I think EventMobi is still figuring it all out in terms of management, and that's where growth happens. Bob started EventMobi with high hopes, and he's been doing a pretty great job. You can tell when he speaks how much he loves this company and tries to translate that to his employees. Bob, keep doing what you're doing and speaking with so much passion. If you are part of the MobiFam, that means you have confidence in this company and know that with the incredible growing team here, anything is possible (cheesy but true).

"There's a lot to work on, and communication of knowledge is sparse at best"

I have been working at EventMobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people are most certainly friendly, as far as it is observed

Cons

- The sudden departure of many senior staff (i.e. those who have been around for several years) is a cause of concern, esp. for those left behind.
    - onboarding and continued learning process within the company appears broken and not well managed. information is sparse at best, and getting answers to questions is often delayed.
    - The original perks have disappeared to a degree, uncertain when they will come back
    - Career Opportunities are available if you are applying. Once in though, like most firms there is a certain level of personal bias to overcome.

Advice to Management

I think it was discussed in other reviews, but there certainly is a disconnect happening. Unsure if it is due to the need for more employee resources and everyone is busy, but employees need to work together more.

"Vibrant, energetic culture with talented people!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at EventMobi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Genuine, considerate, comprehensive interview process - one of the best I've seen from a Toronto tech company - EventMobi is definitely concerned about the fit for you in addition to the fit for them
    - Some of the most capable, dedicated, and intelligent people I've ever worked with
    - A genuine desire to see the entire team/company grow and succeed
    - Inspiring individuals that go above and beyond for *everyone*
    - Lots of effort to ensure that everyone understands the company goals and everyone's role, regardless of department/division
    - A strategic vision for their market that shows both understanding and empathy for their clients/customers
    - Very transparent, at all levels of management
    - Dedication to collecting regular feedback and opinions on *everything* with solid effort to continuously improve
    - The most energetic group of people I've had the pleasure of calling coworkers, an abundance of opportunities to socialize and have fun outside of work hours
    - Technical leadership (at the time) that can forge very effective plans for success and is supremely dedicated to the well-being of the team
    - Chapters and monthly meetings to cultivate new skills (job-related and other skills) and inspire personal growth and direction

Cons

- Slight and/or awkward communication at the company level (a little too much, or a little off-message, but not negative in any sense)
    - A growing team (at the time), which means you may have to recognize what you need and make it happen rather than relying on process to handle it (everyone is learning!)
    - Technology silos and an abundance of abstraction can slow the familiarization with the platform and increase reliance on individuals (rather than teams)

Advice to Management

It's abundantly clear from my time there that you care about people - those who use your platform *and* everyone that helps build it. Keep doing that.

"A Lost Cause - Intermediate and Senior Candidates Beware"

I worked at EventMobi full-time

Pros

The people are really the only pro of the company. Most people are genuine and nice and you will likely be friends with many people across the company

Cons

1. Almost all office perks have been taken away. There are no longer company retreats, a lunch program, nap room, personal education funds, snacks of any type, Thursday drinks, working from home, sports teams, or quarterly team outings. Anything that could easily be removed to cut costs has been done

2. It doesn’t matter if you go above and beyond, there isn’t really any manager who recognizes members of their teams properly. I’ve seen many people go way beyond their job scope and never seen any praise, recognition, compensation, or really anything

3. There’s a good chance you will be “asked”/told to do something entirely unrelated to your job and “take one for the team” even if it means your role entirely changing. I saw one employee who loved their role and had no choice to leave because they were given an ultimatum to take on an entirely different role or resign

4. Turnover is extremely high and there are very few Senior employees left. Over 25 fully qualified employees have left or been fired by EventMobi in 2017 alone. This includes the Co-founder/CTO and senior leaders from all departments, all of which were not replaced when I was there. One fire includes the CEO explaining to the whole company in a weekly meeting that someone was fired because they didn’t agree with everything that he said and would provide their own opinion in meetings

5. There is a severe gossip culture in the company. Everyone, including management and senior leadership casually engage in unconstrained conversation about other people in the company, including rumours about management sleeping with their direct employees

6. There is no longer an HR department as senior leadership didn’t believe the company needed it anymore. This means if you have any issues, questions, concerns, you have to go directly to the CEO or the COO. This is a lost cause because they have absolutely no sympathy for any situation. They hired an external consultant and employees have the option to call them or see them once every few months if they come by the office

7. Compensation is nowhere near competitive and most salaries are under the industry average. The reality is that employees share this information and management uses intimidation tactics in order to pressure you and keep your salary low. The only way I’ve seen employees get salary increases is by threatening to leave and bringing in an offer from another company

8. There is absolutely no regard for work life balance. If out of the blue management decides they need something done ASAP, you are expected to complete it. Often tasks which should take weeks are put on your plate and you have no choice but to stay late to complete them. People are given far too much work or forced to take on the positions of people that have left because the company has absolutely no plans to hire someone new since they can save money and force you to do it. I have seen many employees burnout from this

9. The only reason the company made Great Places to Work is because employees were literally forced to provide feedback. Multiple company wide Slack messages and manager reminders were given to ensure that you filled it out with a high score

10. I understand there are some good reviews, however there are a few reasons for this. At least 4 reviews on the site were requested by the company as senior leadership sent out emails requesting employees to write perfect reviews. I’m aware of this as I know the people that wrote the reviews. Other reviews are often entry level positions and people of which this is their first job out of school. For the inexperienced person, they do not realize all of the issues with the company as they have nothing to compare to

Advice to Management

Management needs to start treating employees fairly and with respect otherwise great people will continue to leave the company. The CEO and the COO are extremely conceited and believe they are giving everyone a once in a lifetime chance to work at EventMobi. They walk around thinking they’re on some sort of high horse because of their titles. They need to spend more time listening to their employees rather than over ruling them just because they can and they want to save money at all costs.

CEO - I don’t believe you are at all qualified to run this company. You ask for honest feedback and nobody gives you it because they are afraid that you will have yet another irrational and emotional freak out and fire them. You care more about having a nice office and posting pictures bragging on Instagram than you care about providing your employees with a great work environment and the freedom and ability to grow. If you want EventMobi to truly prosper, I suggest you step down. It is likely you would seen an immediate increase in company morale and turnover would likely drop significantly. Do everyone a favour and allow someone else to run the company before you burn it to the ground

EventMobi Response

15 Jan 2018

Dear Former Employee, thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate the time you took to share your personal perspective with us. You certainly spoke to some of our current growing pains... More

"Save yourself the headache and look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at EventMobi full-time

Pros

- Non-management staff are generally great people with positive outlooks

- Decent selection of post work sport teams to join

Cons

- Offered promotion on "trial" basis with no increase in pay. When I pointed out the person they wanted me to train in this role made significantly more than me, they chose to get myself and that person in trouble for discussing salaries. Management refused to have that person and I sit in a room together with them to discuss and instead chose to have the other employee and I sort it out ourselves. What we were suppose to sort out was anyone's guess.

- A colleague of mine was injured and required a prolonged sick leave. Management tried to force that person to resign as opposed to providing them proper support. Management then argued that this did not happen, but quickly changed their tune when it was brought up that many of us had seen the email sent to them from said employee refusing to resign.

- 90% of the perks listed on their career page were gone by the time I left. No nap room, no catered lunches, a drastically over-sold breakfast (hope you like raisin bran, honey nut cheerios and plain toast), no international company outings. I still remember asking about my education bonus only to be told that because of a slow quarter that there wouldn't be one.

- I'd reckon 80% of their new hires are young graduates with which this is their first full time job who EventMobi then sorely take advantage of. Requesting things like volunteering weekends and evenings because management doesn't have the capacity to plan in advance.

- Be prepared to be hired for one thing and then have your job description change on a whim shortly after. Management calls this "startup life", but really it's a cop-out for them to get you to do more work while paying you significantly less. This is the number one reason people leave.

- No HR department. Instead they have an outside consultant who you can call for advice.

- 1 and 1/2 hour long WEEKLY town halls where nothing of value is discussed and everything is poorly, poorly executed. Literally hundreds of productivity hours wasted so the owner can, for the most part, rant non-sensibly about things and inflate his ego. Many staff members, especially from the sales team who are hurt most by this waste of time, have asked to make these happen less, but the owner persists as it stays true to his "startup" mentality.

- Having previously managed before, I would offer my opinion to the management team in regards to better operating my department. Only to be told that they were already on it and, within a few days, to see a butchered version of what was discussed suddenly be presented to the team. Happened more than once.

- They make drastic changes to operations on a whim. In my case, they changed my hours so that I was required to work split shifts without even discussing it with me beforehand. When I told them I was not happy about this change, I was terminated two days later for not being "flexible".

- Management told me verbatim "They don't have the energy or resources to help unhappy employees."

- All these positive glassdoor reviews you see are posted by request of management. I was asked multiple times to provide one for the company while working there.

Advice to Management

If you are going to use the 12 questions of employee engagement as a measuring stick then you should actually consider reading the source material so as to understand why these questions are being asked in the first place.

Bob, please talk less. Here are some examples of when you've put your foot in your mouth: saying that all of the hires of a particular manager sucked in front of the whole company (including the people this manager hired), getting in arguments with other managers (including your brother) during town halls because they weren't prepared enough (this always came off like you failed them in providing the proper guidance of what they should be doing) and the oodles of promises you've made that just fell absolutely flat like your weekly email (if you didn't do it you were going to donate money, which you never stuck to actually doing). It just makes you look bad. You've either surrounded yourself with people who are going to agree with anything you say and/or you've made these people too scared to actually say anything at all. Either way, it's at the determent of your company.

All the consultants in the world are not going to be able to replace managers who actually care about their team and the work they do.

EventMobi Response

16 Nov 2017

Thanks for your feedback and for being specific about how you felt let down. Although you may be hesitant to believe it, we do truly take this feedback seriously and will use it to make improvements... More

"A Slow Motion Train Wreck"

Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at EventMobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because they like to chase trendy tech, there's good experience to grab here while you're looking for a real job.

It's not the worst place I've ever worked.

Cons

Management was a nightmare. CEO micromanages and has no concept of boundaries or professionalism. Constant firefighting. Poor benefits. No real path for advancement. You'll see a review mentioning a marketing exodus, there was an engineering exodus as well. The company exists in spite of itself thanks to the momentum of its sales team.

They'll try to sell you on microservices. They aren't.

They'll try to sell you on modern JS but there's a giant shambolic mess of PHP hiding in the corner.

Deadlines were pure fantasy. I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

Try and think of your employees as human beings. Be empathetic towards them, not vindictive.

"Great Start!"

I have been working at EventMobi full-time

Pros

Great start up feel and innovative attitude. A lot of responsibility is distributed throughout the company. It's growing fast - a lot of employees that have been here less than a year.

Cons

Some growing pains! But nothing I haven't seen at other growing companies that are still figuring out organization/structure.

Advice to Management

Just keep on delegating responsibility to those you trust and leading the company overall in the right direction :)

"An amazing place to work"

I worked at EventMobi full-time

Pros

The leadership are the most personable approachable people that I have ever worked with. There is great transparency within the organisation and they are super open to new suggestions from employees. It is like working with a family, everyone is very welcoming. Employees are truly hard working and dedicated which is a reflection of the management structure.

Cons

My only con is that the office space is not the most conducive to my specific role. But I expect that this change when they move into their new office.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Maintain and invest in the culture and you will continue to succeed!

"High Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at EventMobi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Modern company culture & technology.
    * Passionate employees who strive for improvement.
    * Lots of opportunity for challenging tasks and career growth.
    * The Events industry is both high potential and interesting.
    * The company is well positioned for further growth and success.

Cons

There are some growing pains as the company transitions to a larger scale in terms of communication, management, and process. However these are being continuously worked on and improved.

Advice to Management

* Prioritize hiring of experienced software developers.
    * Find ways to maintain strong company culture as the company grows.
    * Improve process and communication but ensure the company does not become overly bureaucratic.

"Good place to learn + further your credentials for future endeavours."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at EventMobi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EventMobi has a strong family mentality. It is this culture that made EventMobi in the early days! I was able to grow in my strengths while improving on my weaknesses. The company allowed me many opportunities to travel, and truly introduced me to what I think will be a lifetime career in tech. I am proud to say that I was able to help in small part to grow a very successful tech startup into a global corporate company.

Cons

It became apparent that I had outgrown the company by 2016. As one of the "older" employees, I felt for several reasons that my history with the company was no longer valued. I remember well a conversation with upper management in 2016 where I was told that being with the company for so long was actually going to work against me, since s/he was not able to mold me into the employee s/he could with any junior or new hires. This mentality stuck with me until the end, and ultimately was a strong reason why I left. Many days ended in tears due to work load and expectation, and hiring to help spread this out was not made a priority.

Advice to Management

In order to keep your senior staff, you need to allow them to open up to you. Favouritism for those that will bend to any suggestion is not what you need, and I hope the top tier will do an audit of this with all managers as soon as possible. You need strong voices to help guide, especially from those that have seen the product and company through thick and thin. I have a great deal of respect for the CEO. Upper management needs to work together alongside Bob, and take to him the feedback from your senior staff when possible. The company needs to remain a team, but by boxing out your senior staff, the turn-over rate will increase. Please pay the team well, and don't forget how important they are to your success.

Overall, I would recommend EventMobi to anyone new to tech or looking to enhance their strengths and improve their weaknesses. Work is fun (at most times!), and it's generally a great place to be. I look forward to seeing the company grow, and will continue to speak highly of them to others.

Note to upper management: Don't forget where you came from and what you went through to be a powerhouse, kick-butt tech company. Remember always to reflect, and if you are new to EventMobi, use the senior team members as a guide. I promise you they have amazing insight and ideas, and it is a missed opportunity to pass them by.

Go forth and continue to find success. :)