G Adventures Reviews

Updated 6 Jul 2020

3.9
G Adventures Founder Bruce Poon Tip
Bruce Poon Tip
Pros
  • "The company culture is like nothing I've experienced in any other job(in 20 reviews)

• "and we really do live and breathe our Core Values every day(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "If FAMs are meant to compensate for low pay, let those who don't travel claim the cash value instead(in 22 reviews)

• "The "Core Values" preached by the company go out the window as soon as they need to save money(in 16 reviews)

1. "C E O life"

Former Employee - C E O in London, England

I worked at G Adventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and environment. Pay is good comparing it with other similar companies but no benefits. Chance to travel and meet people from all over almost every day. It is a good work for a few years.

Cons

Hard to keep growing and make a career if you are not a VERY good friend of top managers. You hardly ever spend time at home because you are working most of the time abroad, so hotel/hostel life is almost 24/7 dealing with travelers.

December 4, 2019Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We understand that being a CEO is not for everyone. Our CEOs are responsible for leading amazing trips while at the same time having to meet the expectations of a diverse group of travellers. While we are recruiting for CEOs, we do explain what being a CEO entails and the reality of what it's like to be a CEO (long days, long periods away from home etc.). We do appreciate you letting us know about your experience, we hope you are doing well!

"Pass, it’s all fake"

1.0

I worked at G Adventures full-time

Pros

1 x free trip per year

Cons

Working at G Adventures is like thinking that you’ve won the career lottery......then finding out about the nasty fees that go along with it. The shiny purple loop tail is surrounded with razor blades and is representative of cutthroat tourism industry and G thinks it’s so different to everyone else because of its “culture”. G Adventures is no different to any other business in the world, it is driven by money and does not really care to make a difference in the world. G Adventures “pride themselves” on their people, making you think that career development and progression is possible but it’s all lies. Wanting to progress throughout the company is based on your popularity and I witnessed numerous counts of favouritism among certain individuals across the sales, marketing and operations teams. The core values are just marketing. Plain and simple. They are never even considered when making business decisions or creating any policies internal or external. They are often used as a weapon against employees, if you’re not “G” then you won’t make it in the purple world! G Adventures think that Friday afternoon beers, themed meeting rooms and a popcorn machine driving engagement but really as an employee all you want is to work for a company where your hard work is valued, your salary reflects the effort and dedication you have to producing high quality work and that you’re respected by your manager. You won’t get any of that working at G Adventures.

Continue reading

"Fast paced and totally absorbing"

Current Employee - Head of Contact Centre in London, England

I have been working at G Adventures full-time

Pros

Great location, perks, office,

Cons

The culture can be cult like and

September 18, 2019Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We'd like to invite you to reach out to Talent to discuss areas of improvement.

"A LITTLE BIT TOO MUCH"

1.0
    Former Employee - GCO Global Connection Officer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at G Adventures full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many nice Options to Travel the WORLD and flexible working hours.

Cons

Extremely superficial, you need too be 100% G - your outside WORLD does not matter anymore. Kind of sect character. Low salary and everyone is a Little over the top.

December 20, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thanks for your review and your contribution during your time at G Adventures.

5. "Operations Department"

4.0
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at G Adventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic staff perks - Engaging atmosphere - Up to date technology, systems & processes - Freedom of work/ life balance & working hours - Learn a lot about the tourism business & industry - Good training & development programs - Lots of opportunities to travel

Cons

- Depending on management, you may not have a good experience, you may experience favouritism or inability to grow in your current role. Some managers do not manage expectations very well, or do not address clear issues with team. Depends on your department & manager the experience you will have with the company. - Salary increase based on unrealistic goals, maximum 5% salary increase only possible max (but only if you reach the unrealistic goals- more realistic to get 3-4% increase a year) - Salary not competitive to rest of industry - Expect a lot of work your sole responsibility (but, a lot of experience is gained) - Unpaid overtime in summer

September 26, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review as we appreciate all feedback!

"Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

G offers a real sense of family and connectedness, much more than another corporate company. You feel part of the mission, your opinion is valued and there are fantastic opportunities for growth within the G world.

Cons

Wall flowers need not apply. The team at G Adventures are all very open, honest and connected, if you're someone who prefers to keep to yourself and not bond with your work colleagues then this isn't the best fit for you.

October 19, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It makes us happy to hear G is the best place you've worked for!

7. "Great People, Great Purpose, Great Perks"

4.0
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in London, England

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I find G Adventures to be a nurturing and safe works environment where I am valued and able to grow. I believe in the companies practices and ethics, allowing me to be in a positive frame of mind when at work. I am recognised for the hard work and coached to be better at what I do. Both a regional and global community feel - G Adventures really invests in this connectivity.

Cons

Transitioning from small business to a more corporate structure, tough for those who have been here from the start but better for the future of the business This company is great for those new to the industry and who are young and hungry to learn. The longevity of which people can stay however is hampered by the location being in London and the cost of living. Pension scheme is new but set to the minimum company pay in. I worry that maternity leave, having kids etc. would be something that I would later need but wouldn’t be at the level of some other companies.

June 22, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thanks so much for your feedback and for your advice. We do strive to make positive changes and with feedback like yours, this will help us get there!

8. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is not just a place of work, it's a place where you feel appreciated and you belong. I have been here 4 years and I can't think about working anywhere else. I feel valued and recognised and I had plenty of opportunity to grow and develop my skills. Work hard play hard mentality that can only bring great results.

Cons

It is an innovative company so things are changing all the times. It can happen to feel a bit lost with the constant changes.

June 22, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It's great to hear you feel appreciated and recognized!

"Honest review by current G-ployee"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

've been working out of G Adventures' London office for a year and a half now - As I'm a current employee, I'll do my very best to give you an un-biased and honest opinion about the organisation I work for. I started off working in the sales department and after a year, a marketing role opened up - I applied for it and got it. I think this is a good representation of how much G cares about its employees and how its (our) core values are reflected in each aspect of the business. Rather than hiring someone externally with more experience than me, they fully committed to investing in me - and that is... empowering to say the least. There is really no limit to how much you can learn at G for the ones who are willing to devote their time to it. You're able to shadow any department within the organisation you think may help you grow in your current role or simply out of interest. You get access to amazing learning modules on various platforms (which are usually expensive) and you undergo thorough training when you first start at the company. As you might have read in the press or picked up yourself from our social media pages, G Adventures takes their company culture very seriously and is, in my opinion, one of the key factors to the company's thriving success. If you read the founder's book, "the Looptail" he speaks of karma within business, do the right thing for other and you'll be rewarded with success in the long run. The company practises what it preaches. Every year the company throws an annual bash and invites over 300 employees across the globe to party and connect with each other in Toronto. Participants aren't solely selected based on hard numbers or results, if the company thinks you're a good contributor to the company and culture and your heart's in the right place, you'll get to go. We have a beer o'clock every Friday for the ones who want to socialise and cool off after a hard week's work, themed events on the regular (the most recent was partner appreciation day where G-ployees brought their partners to the office and then later on to a venue filled with food and drinks to show them a token of gratitude), plenty of internal company competitions, etc. Whenever I explain what G Adventures is to a stranger I say "the Google of travel" just so they get the right idea of the sort of company we are - Even though I happen to think we have a stronger culture than them. Other perks/benefits/pros: - Open-door policy across the entire organisation: Everyone here is your friend, your voice will always be heard and considered. - FAM trips: you get a trip on the company's behalf every 10-12 months, depending on what department you work in. - The culture: As I mentioned above, company culture is a big one here. It might sound cheesy but I'm part of a family, my colleagues motivate and empower me on a daily basis, we have each others backs, anywhere I go in the world I'll have a colleague to hang out with and to accommodate me, if you're considering G Adventures as your next workplace, know that this is more than a job. - International working environment: For someone like myself, who comes from an international background, I like the fact that different languages are spoken in our office in London, different cultures are embraced and we have a constant flow of colleagues from all over the world who pass by when they're in town. - Office jumping: G Adventures rewards engagement and interaction across the company's many regional and local offices. If you work in the sales department in London for instances and you'd like to live in Toronto for a while (given that you're eligible for a working visa), the company is open to that idea.

Cons

- Being a global company, we have to accept the fact that we work in different time zones. This can slow your daily tasks down a lot depending on which department you work in. Toronto is 5 hours behind London for instances, when marketing needs something signed off by a department in our head office, we have to wait for them to wake up. - Wages: the company pays standard tourism/hospitality wages which is the only slightly negative thing I can say about the company. They aren't bad but they're not great. However, I do understand the business model. Instead of paying their employees higher wages, they prefer to keep their staff happy and motivated in other ways - By providing them with one of the coolest working environments there is out there, events, free trips, and the list goes on..

May 30, 2018Coordinator, Global Talent

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide an in-depth review of the company. We welcome all feedback and are glad to see when they are positive ones as this means we are on the right track!

"Pros and cons, like everywhere. Good for a first job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at G Adventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun , fast paced environment with work hard/ play hard attitude. There is always something going on. Very nice people, you will get a life long friendships .Good learning environment, yearly trip as bonus, ticket scheme, no dress code - very casual, relaxed style

Cons

Very low salary while, at the same time, work is intense...Busy, There will be overtime, not paid. Not much for a work-life balance. Your work should be your life. Possibility of progressing are limited as the office is small and you have to wait for someone to quit in order to have a chance to move to different department or up. Big turnover.

May 29, 2018Talent Partner, North America

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we welcome all feedback. As you were a current employee when this review was placed, we would encourage you to have these discussions with your manager. We also evaluate employee feedback via our annual Gauge survey, so please make sure your voice is heard there too, so we know where to improve.

Found 191 reviews