Heartbeat Reviews

Updated 28 Jul 2020

4.4
Heartbeat Managing Directors Nadine Leonard and James Talerico (no image)
Nadine Leonard and James Talerico
Pros
  • "Managers make honest attempts at reasonable work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "The senior leadership really cares and they do so much (fun in office competitions, in house meditation, employee appreciation week, etc(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "My current agency is much better about work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours, crazy deadlines, but this is the industry of advertising(in 4 reviews)

"Wayyyyy too many long nights"

2.0
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Heartbeat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and diverse culture

Cons

So many people work until 10, 11, midnight. The industry is like that, but this is the first and only agency I ever worked at where it was practically expected to work these hours all the time. And nobody seems to do anything about it, and it's not sustainable. My current agency is much better about work/life balance.

July 30, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for this feedback. It sounds like you were with us for a while, and we’re saddened that your overall perception was an expectation of exceptional workloads. That is not the case. It’s true that our industry is demanding, but 12-hour days should NOT be the norm for any of us. We’ve put considerable effort toward bettering our community’s work-life balance—it’s a topic we purposefully keep in the limelight to create a culture where people feel empowered to care for themselves, ask for help, and importantly, “pay themselves back” with Time Off whenever possible. To support this, we have instituted Summer Fridays, are encouraging everyone to liberally use their PTO, and are championing flexible and reduced schedules—something especially important when many are juggling additional responsibilities. We also know that it’s important to proactively manage day-to-day workloads in order to help everyone take advantage of the Time Off initiatives we’ve instituted and it’s up to us to do better. Making you feel like a cog in the production machine is the LAST thing we wanted. Although you’re no longer with us, we encourage you to reach out with any examples, concerns, or suggestions based on your experience—we’re always trying to improve. —Nadine and James, Heartbeat Co-Presidents

2. "Culture, culture, culture."

I worked at Heartbeat full-time for more than a year

Pros

As someone who has moved onto other opportunities, I can confirm that there is no place like Heartbeat - culture and people wise. Coworkers become best friends and (mostly) everyone gets along with very little cliquey feelings. Some of the smartest and kindest people work here and that's what makes coming to work every day great. Seriously, Heartbeat hires fun, silly, and kind GENIUSES - specifically in the strategy department. You will never find a place like this because of the people. Diversity is amazing as well. A lot of POC and LGBTQ+ community. Specific clubs/events were created to support these groups. The events and little day-to-day activities that leadership puts on are always fun and make you feel like they really care (employee appreciation week is incredible). They sometimes bring in companies to do in-office massages. You cannot make this up. Benefits are amazing as well. SO much time off, paid medical leave if needed, comp days as rewards, pretty good health/dental, as well as other things like $$ for classes, trainings and career development opportunities, health fairs and so much more.

Cons

Work/Life balance sucks. They try their hardest to manage this and Nadine and James especially encourage taking personal time / going home on time, but it just doesn't work with client expectations and an Account team that doesn't consider the team before saying yes to long or hard projects. Promotions/Raises do not happen when they should. There are some books that seem to get promotions and raises many times a year and others that ask for months (sometimes years) and never get what they rightfully deserve. Unfortunately this leads to a lot of turnover.

April 15, 2020Director, Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave your sincere feedback. We’re glad that you found appreciation for the people, culture, benefits, and atmosphere here. Fostering this unique community is definitely something we take great pride in and speak of (very) often. It’s always great to hear when that rings true. Unfortunately, we know from first-hand experience that work-life balance is hard to maintain. It’s why we do whatever we can to help. Thanks for recognizing that, even when our efforts might not always be successful in reality. The challenge, of course, is that our collective success is rooted in helping our clients succeed. And we pride ourselves on going the extra mile to make that happen. However, as we’ve said before, setting accurate expectations and establishing a strong, mutually respectful working relationship is also key – we’ll do better to reinforce that on the front lines. We haven’t heard a concern over inequality of raises/promotions at the book level, and in fact, we always use company-wide metrics to assess performance and pay to avoid such bias. But thanks for sharing your concern – we’ll look into it more closely. And even if we confirm it to be perception and not reality, that perception is still something we’ll want to fix. Best of luck to you, and thanks again.

"Lots of people quitting, some staff members causing too much trouble"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of really good people here.

Cons

A lot of people have quit in recent months, and although some client difficulties are responsible, it's certain team members who are really responsible. Some of the production and book leads run things very badly but they talk a good game so they seem to skate by. Management seems to be unconcerned about the amount of turnover, the decreased morale and other negative developments.

February 21, 2020Director, Marketing

First, thank you for the conviction behind your input and for the clear concern you have both for the culture and the folks who sit next to you. We share that same concern and can’t tell you how much it hurts to think anyone in our community would believe that losing an employee is something we take lightly. We recognize (and try to celebrate) that people want different experiences than what we can offer. But that doesn’t make us any less bummed. And as we grow, we rely on folks like yourself to raise flags, point out blind spots, and bring solutions to the table. Simply put, can’t fix what we don’t know is broken… And we can’t do it alone. So we ask you – with a shared urgency – to please come to anyone in leadership or HR to discuss this issue more in depth and work with us to do better. Sincerely, Nadine and James — Co-Presidents, Heartbeat

4. "Amazing Culture, Amazing People"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture at Heartbeat is unlike any other. You will never find a more ambitious, hardworking, talented, group of people at any other agency. "Work hard, play hard" is fully embraced here. There is a relaxed, but still professional, atmosphere, that allows you to be your true self. There is a lot of opportunities for growth, whether it is online or in-person training, full 360 performance reviews, and good exposure to other teams and senior leadership through collaboration. If you possess the qualities of a true Heartbeater, you are likely to feel secure that your team, your manager and leadership care about your well-being and your growth in the company.

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard but senior leadership is always looking for ways to rectify this and voice concern to your managers if they see you spending too much time at the office. Goes back to feeling like more than a number and actually feeling as though the company cares about you. Clients can be tough to deal with.

January 29, 2020Marketing Manager

Thank you for this thoughtful review! We take pride in the fact that we heavily invest in our culture, so we’re glad that our team members feel secure enough to be their authentic selves in the office. Work-life balance gets tough sometimes in the fast-paced agency setting, but we’re always looking for ways to make sure Heartbeaters are well, happy, and empowered to enjoy their personal time (use those flex days)! Clients are the lifeblood of any organization, and we pride ourselves on going the extra mile for ours, but setting accurate expectations and establishing a strong, mutually respectful working relationship is also key. We’ll absolutely note your feedback and think of better ways to address this. Thanks so much again!

5. "Great people, Great environment"

Former Employee - Art Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Heartbeat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Atmosphere in the office was always fun, but people were very driven and talented.

Cons

Could have been better organized for the intern program and had more specific tasks for interns to work on. I found myself with a lot of free time.

6. "Great culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Copywriting

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time

Pros

Very nice people, and company values work/life balance

Cons

The usual pharma advertising cons!

7. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Account Group Supervisor

I worked at Heartbeat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Heartbeat does a lot for their employees, great benefits and overall great people to work with including the head of HR.

Cons

No bonus and no manager training

8. "A Culture Like No Other"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Heartbeat full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've never been in an environment quite like Heartbeat. So many offices will throw a pool table or pinball machine in the common area and tell you they have "great culture". Okay yes, Heartbeat did have a ping pong table, but how many places have welcome cocktails with the heads of the agency? Truly a family atmosphere, when people were let go from the creative dep't, the CCO sat us down and had a conversation about it, and that meant the world. I really did love working with the people at Heartbeat: they care about you, and they care about the work. They care enough to push you to do more, for the client and in-house.

Cons

-Long hours (like any other agency lifestyle) -Figuring out concrete steps for title advancement/promotion could feel a little hazy at times, but there certainly were promotions in the time I was there.

9. "Director, Production"

Current Employee - New York

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time for less than a year

Pros

“It is in the ordinary events of every day that we develop the proactive capacity to handle the extraordinary pressures of life.” It’s how we respond to situations and events what’s makes a difference. Stephen Covey Why I love being a Heartbeater? It makes a huge difference when you work in an organization that truly invest in knowing their values and what they stand for. When they do, it shows in the culture and the way they treat clients and each individual on the team. Culture starts with leadership, if you want to know the culture of a company, meet its leaders. Their beliefs and vision shape and model the behaviors and commitments of the team. I need to say that I truly feel inspired by our leadership team. Our culture is open, inclusive, hard worker, proactive, adaptable, embrace diversity and uniqueness, creative, honest, accountable, collaborative, flexible, funny, smart, ethical, and what I love the most… human.

Cons

This is a business, of course everything will NOT be perfect, but there is a commitment to evolve, grow and improve.

July 1, 2019Director, Marketing

Thank you so much for the kind words, we wholeheartedly agree! The shape of a company starts with its leaders. Our senior leadership team has multiple members with 10+ years of Heartbeat tenure – they love Heartbeat and every person within it down to their cores, so they make darn sure that this agency continues to evolve, and brings the best that any business can possibly offer to its employees & clients. Thanks for being a valued part of what we’re building here.

10. "Heartbeat Family"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong culture, Work life balance, Community

Cons

I can't see downsides

Found 82 reviews