Heartbeat Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2021

Found 99 of over 112 reviews

4.5
Heartbeat Managing Directors Nadine Leonard and James Talerico (no image)
Nadine Leonard and James Talerico
Pros
  • "Managers make honest attempts at reasonable work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "The senior leadership really cares and they do so much (fun in office competitions, in house meditation, employee appreciation week, etc(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "My current agency is much better about work/life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "There are late nights, but the business is expanding so rapidly that that's to be expected(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good days, bad days

Jul 22, 2021 - Creative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some very smart and innovative people working there. Leadership is approachable for the most part. Very generous to employees, and flexible about working from home.

Cons

Some people in the production department are very toxic and like to play games. It ended up being the reason I left, which was really hard. I've never worked in a place before where the power balance is so off. And some people just talk a good game, show horses, while the workhorses do the work and get little credit. There are the chosen,who can do (or not do)whatever they want then there are the rest . It's also really ageist.

Director, Marketing

Although the concept of “good days and bad days” will likely always be true, it sounds like your experience had too many of the latter, and for that we are deeply sorry. Being a true meritocracy, avoiding politics and posturing has been core to the Heartbeat ethos since our earliest of days and is something we continue to hold as one of our highest values. So if your experience reflected something misaligned to that, we must—and will—address it immediately. We've instituted regular check-ins with HR to help surface issues that employees might be struggling with, but we know that, as we grow, blind spots may emerge. So our efforts must be redoubled. Although your departure means that this must be too little, too late for you, we hope you know your voice will help us to ensure more “good days” for those that follow. - James and Nadine, Heartbeat Co-Presidents

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Jul 26, 2021 - Group Account Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You feel like you are with people who genuinely care about you as a person and who champion you in the advancement of your career

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of potential, but growing too fast

Jul 6, 2021 - Copywriter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun culture, great attempts at diversity/inclusion (but HR loses sight of the rest of their job), work perks/gifts/events, part of Publicis Groupe/Publicis Health, concepting opportunities.

Cons

Bad managers are left to be bad managers, toxic clients are not handled, teams are too stressed out, H&S clicks exist, and the company hires talent for roles below their seniority level (this was known across the board within employee circles) so they get more than they pay for and creatives have more responsibility than they're paid for/take title and pay cuts when joining the company.

Director, Marketing

Growth is both an ambition and a challenge for Heartbeat, as it is for everyone in our community. So we appreciate your insight and the honest feedback regarding your experience, even though a sharp critique can sting a bit! We know it’s our responsibility as leaders to build the structures & support all our folks need to grow into greater personal and professional success, no matter what role or level at which a person chooses to enter the agency. That’s why, this year, we invested in a full-time, in-house Performance Coach, who works with many of our leaders to find and open their best selves to our community and our clients (even our most demanding clients!). Our Coach also partners with our HR team to advance our manager training initiatives, to improve team dynamics, and to help all of us live up to our agency values. But coaching is just one way we’re working to support leaders in our community. Because our work isn’t done. It never is. Though you’ve left our community, we hope you’ve found another where you can grow with the support and guidance you need. And we thank you again for sharing your perspective, so we can continue to focus, improve, and grow, ourselves. - James and Nadine, Heartbeat Co-Presidents

4. 2.0

Overworked and Underpaid

May 4, 2021 - Senior Strategy Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Genuine and authentic people in the company.

Cons

-12 to 14 hour workdays for months on end are common. There is zero work-life balance. -Even though Heartbeat is a part of Publicis, it still operates as a startup that does not know what it is doing, has no "heartbeat way of marketing or strategy development", and as a result there is no training or onboarding for new hires or clear standard for what good looks like. Managers are too overwhelmed by their own workload to support direct reports. -Salary and benefits are very low when compared to other agencies and corporate roles.

10 people found this review helpful

Director, Marketing

Thank you for the feedback and the clear suggestions. As the Heartbeat community continues to grow in this now-familiar WFH world, we invest more time & attention to the on-boarding of new community members than ever before. From HR orientations to chats with Nadine & I, from Heartbeat 101 to our whole series of “Beat Basics,” we thought much more of a foundation for a smooth and comprehensive experience was in place. That said, clearly that sounds inconsistent with the experience you had, so we need to determine if it was the curriculum or your opportunity to participate in it that went awry — and your feedback is helpful in triggering that investigation, so thank you. Work-life balance is also a topic very dear to us. Although there are inevitable ebbs and flows to the work we do, we strongly and consistently urge our community to pay themselves back—or forward—to help reestablish balance. We will not support any situation where an out-of-balance issue is sustained indefinitely. In addition to responding to folks who vocalize such a situation, we work hard to proactively identify people who might be suffering silently — so we are especially troubled that neither approach was successful with you. We must do better. We hope you will find the right environment for your talents and find not only balance, but joy. - James and Nadine, Heartbeat Co-Presidents

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Cares about their people

Jun 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership makes every effort to ensure the workforce is happy and really promotes work life balance. They genuinely care about the people.

Cons

Agency work can be demanding and client needs are unpredictable which can make it hard to actually prioritize the "work life balance."

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

[insert thumbs up emoji here]

Feb 22, 2021 - Associate Creative Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, fantastic camaraderie. Even when working remotely, I still felt like there was a community of kind, like-minded people at Heartbeat. Diversity, acceptance, and understanding is prioritized on a level unseen at other agencies. It was refreshing to see a variety of people — all kinds of races, queerness, gender identity, and cultural backgrounds — in roles of leadership and among all departments. The agency makes a point to take a stand and respond to social issues that affect the employees -- and the nation as a whole -- with grace and sincerity. Senior leadership is down to earth and genuine. It's not uncommon to find CDs or VPs with an ego, but I saw none of that here. Excellent medical/dental benefits with instant accessibility Lots of new business/conceptual opportunities for creatives; even if day-to-day brand work may be a bit dry, there's ample opportunity for genuine creative work.

Cons

Timelines and client management often disadvantaged the creative teams, often leading to unnecessarily late nights, rushed projects, and truncated time for quality control processes. But that's pretty common in advertising.

Director, Marketing

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and generous feedback. We are overjoyed to hear that your experience at Heartbeat was a positive one, and that many of the principles and values we prioritize as an organization rang true for you. Whether it’s the push for long-overdue diversity, or a necessary response to significant social issues, we firmly believe that as a community we have the power and responsibility to tackle these problems head-on. Thank you for being an important part of our collective efforts. The rushed timelines problem you mentioned is unfortunate, as it’s something that we are actively trying to resolve and believe we have made great strides in correcting. But just because it’s common in advertising doesn’t mean that we will let it remain the status quo here at Heartbeat. We will absolutely continue to address what has long been a somewhat tricky issue in our industry. Thank you for the honest feedback there as well.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Agency

Jun 30, 2021 - Art Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance is great here

Cons

need more room for growth and promotions

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Depends On the Department

Jan 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall culture is exceptional: diverse, welcoming, fun. Senior leadership pull all the stops to make sure people feel included, heard, and appreciated each day (especially during the pandemic). Most of the people at HB are genuinely personable and lovely to work with.

Cons

Your experience at HB will depend entirely on which department you work for. Be wary of teams with high turnover rates for junior employees. The culture does not seem to trickle down to the lowest levels of the company, with select senior team members lacking serious managerial skills to effectively lead and demonstrate baseline professionalism. Serious criticism and complaints fall on deaf ears to HR, with department heads also turning a blind eye to managers creating abusive work environments due to favoritism.

Marketing Manager

While we love that you’re taking a positive outlook of Heartbeat with you as you move on in your career, it’s clear that we have opportunities to improve and grow. So thank you: your candor is incredibly valuable! Per your critique, we need to ensure that our cultural pillars are realized and recognized by every person in the community; we also need to ensure that leaders who are falling down get support and improve, or move to roles with reduced staff leadership responsibilities. Though counsel and guidance often happens behind the scenes, we need to set clear markers for improvement that all can see. It’s our responsibility to show that and to do more than just listen when folks like yourself raise their hands. We know that and will nod toward action. Favoritism has never been in the Heartbeat DNA. Never should it be. While we hope you’ll find a work environment that is right for you and wish you only incredible success, we also hope to have you back as part of our community one day to witness the growth we will have made on the issues you experienced, as well as the continued commitment to being a healthy community we bring to work every day. So stay in touch and stay safe! -Nadine and James, Heartbeat Co-Presidents

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

So nice, I did it twice

Jan 22, 2021 - Group Account Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sense of community, appreciation of individual contribution, ability to steer your own career growth, benefits package

Cons

Activity based seating, corporate red tape, compensation structure

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

AMAZING!!! Diversity and Inclusion THEY JUST GET IT!

Apr 15, 2021 - Senior Art Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Heartbeat truly cares about women in creative roles. There are a lot of women ACDs/CDs... People are amazing, feels like a big family, I've never experienced this before.

Cons

Long hours just like any other Pharma Agency

Viewing 1 - 10 of 99 Reviews