Heartbeat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 December 2018

4.6
Nadine Leonard and James Talerico

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They’ve even implemented a work/life balance program that encourages hard work but also hard play" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great work-environment and steady growth" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes a work/life balance can be harder to achieve" (in 5 reviews)

• "There are late nights, but the business is expanding so rapidly that that's to be expected" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"This is what all companies should strive for!"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I know it sounds cheesy, but I’m not exaggerating when I say that Heartbeat is truly a magical place. Even though it was my first “real” job out of college, I know from dealing with other agencies and hearing about other companies from friends and colleagues that this place isn’t the norm. It’s actually above the norm in so many ways: projects/deliverables, culture, creativity, work ethic, benefits (health and PTO), and on and on. In truth, I really feel spoiled here.

The work we create for clients is nothing less than stellar. Every piece that’s produced is creative and on point. At least that’s what our clients say. ☺ And, as I said, the culture at Heartbeat is like no other; they have fun initiatives (Upbeat), which are friendly yearlong competitions between teams where there are amazing prizes; health incentives (Bodybeat), which include in-house yoga and meditation, wellness vendor days, smoothie days, even essential oil classes; and gifts, I mean real, substantial gifts, for their anniversaries with the agency. Heartbeat’s annual Employee Appreciation Week (Lovebeat) is amazing! It usually includes massages, breakfasts, desserts, wine tasting , and cocktail-making classes, to name just a few.

But best and most important of all, management here really sets people up for success. Individuals are challenged to push themselves to become even better at what they already do well. And they’re challenged to learn new skills. Employees know that management’s doors are always open to listen, learn, and act. They’ve even implemented a work/life balance program that encourages hard work but also hard play!

Oh, and as a gay man of color this place allows me to bring my most authentic true self to work. Heartbeat strives to be leaders in the D&I space.

This place is a keeper.

Cons

Can't think of a thing!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Don't loose that magic touch!

1 Oct 2018 – Associate Director, Marketing

I’ll tell you what’s magical is your review! We’re glad you’re digging the culture around here, because it’s one of our true calling cards and it’s here to stay. We’ll continue to shower you & every... More

2. "Best place I've ever worked!"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time

Pros

Inspiring culture, fulfilling work, bright and enjoyable teammates. Flat organization with leadership that fosters open communication.

Cons

As with all agency work, occasional late nights/weekend work, but at least it with a group of fun, creative, and smart people!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Best Place To Work"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many people say that their job is their second home and their colleagues are their second family but at Heartbeat this is not only a saying but a fact. The leadership team is truly invested in everyone's individual goals and facilitating attaining those goals and they take real interest in the Heartbeat community. They promote strong work ethics while also encouraging a healthy live work balance.

Cons

Heartbeat's dedication in supporting the employees in addressing performance limitations at times leads to retaining a talent that ultimately ends up not being a good fit for Heartbeat. This seems to be a top priority for Heartbeat in 2019 and i have no doubt this will be corrected.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

4. "Cream of the Crop"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time

Pros

Friendly, interesting, talented, and smart people to work with that make you look forward to coming into work in the morning. Heartbeat's culture is inclusive, diverse, upbeat and thriving.

A management team whose creativity, talent, optimism, kindness, and spunk trickle down to the entire agency. James and Nadine breathe life into the agency and make you feel lucky to work with them.

The perks are unparalleled. Bagel Fridays with a yogurt bar, fruit and avocados. Cocktail making competitions, winter olympics, guacamole making competitions, you name it. Heartbeat sometimes feels like sleep away camp.

Employees are encouraged to create work that pushes limits and pursue a "think outside of the box" mentality. Creativity demonstrated in our work (and throughout office practices) will be rewarded and publicly recognized at company meetings.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Never change, please.

10 Dec 2018 – Associate Director, Marketing

We look forward to coming to work in the morning too, but that’s especially true when we’re welcomed by reviews like this! Thank you so much for the wonderfully kind words. We’ll keep the culture and... More

5. "Best place to work!"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers that want to work together to produce the best result, innovative projects, transparent and approachable leadership, varied opportunities throughout the network for career advancement and personal growth, approachable HR for any matters, diversity in employees and recruitment

Cons

Work life balance because there are a lot of social events tied into the culture, not always enough time to review (performance, projects, internal efforts) and reflect outside of annual formal reviews, upcoming office move will have open seating/activity based seating

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue promoting the true spirit of Heartbeat. Keep fostering an environment where everyone can be heard and feels comfortable speaking up.

6. "Can be good"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time

Pros

Very upbeat culture, some really great leaders among the middle to upper management.

Cons

Gossip and drama, disorganized approach to training copy, design and production.

Advice to Management

Rein in oversize personalities, don't reward office "politics" that undermine great work.

24 Oct 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the thoughtful review and for being both complimentary and constructively critical. Obviously, we’re proud of the strengths you note: our culture and the leadership that that culture... More

7. "Heartbeat's Got Heart"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Media Planner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Media Planner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture, the culture the CULTURE! Heartbeat is a melting pot of people from all walks of life, backgrounds and nationalities. There is a culture of inclusiveness that enables all individuals to express themselves freely without judgement or bias. The work environment is like nothing I've experienced before.

Cons

The workspace can be a bit noisy, but that's just all of the creativity buzzing around!

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to continue to have open dialogues with all levels of employees from Associates to EVPs. The amount of insight that can be gleaned from the individuals entrenched in the day-to-day operations can be invaluable. Its a formula that works, keep up the great work!

"The Best Experience of My Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Heartbeat (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my three years at Heartbeat I have learned more about people and more about myself — more about leading and being led — than at any other agency, and I’ve worked at quite a few. (That is really the best recommendation I could give an agency.)

One reason is that Heartbeat is populated by generous, thoughtful and positive human beings, who, as it happens, are just as smart as they are generous. But that by itself is not altogether special. Because people come and go and work places change. What’s different, in my humble opinion, is that Heartbeat is led by true believers — believers in talent and diversity and passionate commitment to working hard and playing hard, and just being good to each other. Somewhere along the way, Co-Managing Directors James and Nadine figured out that the true essence of the Heartbeat culture and brand is the people inside it; not some focus group branding BS enforced from above. I believe that is what makes the unique Heartbeat ethos a robust and sustainable thing, despite the homogenizing influences of being part of a larger corporate system (Publicis Health).

I actually feel a little sorry for those I have hired straight out of school, because they will assume that Heartbeat is just standard advertising fare. But those who have been around a bit will recognize immediately that Heartbeat is special. To all, I would say, this one is a keeper, folks. The grass at Heartbeat is a completely new shade of green.

Cons

Only one: the current location (1 Penn Plaza) sucks, but that is changing in November!

Advice to Management

You know what to do. Keep doing it.

13 Aug 2018 – Associate Director, Marketing

Wow. We’re darn close to speechless, which makes it difficult to properly show appreciation for your immeasurably kind, generous, and thoughtful review. We are eternally grateful: For you, your... More

9. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time

Pros

Culture is fantastic, the higher-ups really care about their employees.

Cons

Office is currently located above Penn Station, not the best area of NY.

"An industry leader staying true to it's roots"

Current Employee - Technology in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Technology in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Heartbeat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and most innovative people I've ever known, without the agency egos

A growing organization with strong core values

Still holding onto a close-knit community culture even through several growth spurts

Thought leaders with real vision who aren't afraid to dig-in and get their hands dirty

Cons

The Heartbeat culture empowers those who are motivated, courageous, and dedicated to their work. Be prepared to bring what you are passionate about to the table and don't plan on settling for status quo