IKEA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can take a bit of a hit at times (in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance poor for part time staff as they work most weekends (in 55 reviews)

1. "ikea rev"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good customer service n helpline

Cons

too many issues with managemanet

2. "One of the best jobs I had. Overall a great company to work for (I worked in the restaurant)"

Former Employee - IKEA FOOD Co-worker in Gateshead, England
    Former Employee - IKEA FOOD Co-worker in Gateshead, England

I worked at IKEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are lovely (however some of the staff training to be managers let it go to their head a bit and treat you badly but the actual managers are a pleasure to work with)
    Understanding with health problems and try to accommodate you the best they can
    Good staff discount!
    Very good wages!!

Cons

Really heavy work loads and especially when someone calls in sick
    Always put in for more hours than you're contracted without being asked so can end up extremely exhausted
    Sometimes expected to work in an environment where medically you shouldn't be working i.e behind in the dish for 8+ hours lifting heavy objects and feeling like you're in a sauna which is 10 times hotter than it should be.

Advice to Management

First of all the management at the metro centre Gateshead are great! I can't say a bad word about them.
    Take into consideration people's ability to do certain tasks
    Ask people who are contracted for less hours if they can work more instead of just putting them in for more days and hours which they cant work.
    All in all a great company I wish I still worked there but got ill so had to leave but they're very understanding with problems inside and outside of work and will do all they can to help.

3. "Sales coworker"

Former Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Wembley, England
    Former Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Wembley, England

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working environment , team working , coworker restaurant with subventions , training program , career opportunities and development program , you can decide in which department you want to work and apply for an internal vacancy

Cons

Probably working in Saturday and Sunday and night sift , also the amount of customers that come to ikea in peak days

"Good place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at IKEA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company with good benefits, holidays, tertials with team, easy to change department or location if you want to they support you .

Cons

Weekend working, relative low pay and they prefer part timers for coverage reasons but because of this there is lack of competence with the co-workers.

"It's ok"

Current Employee - IKEA Sales Co-worker in Ashton, South West England, England
    Current Employee - IKEA Sales Co-worker in Ashton, South West England, England

I have been working at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is brilliant at £8.45 an hour for any age, with amazing co-worker benefits on IBenefits, such as 10% off cinema tickets etc. The food is also extremely cheap for co-workers (there's always a free 'healthy' meal, and unless your having a 3 course meal you won't spend over £1 at any mealtime)

Cons

It's very hierarchical. In my experience (and many of those who I work with) the managers have to look for someone to blame if anything goes wrong. The customers can be really rude also, and the departments can get really messy.

7. "checkouts"

Former Employee - Checkout Cashier in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Checkout Cashier in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at IKEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

made some friends in my time in ikea

Cons

not a nice place to work

"Say all the right things, don't deliver"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Reading, England

I worked at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great, work hard, work as a team. Cheap lunches or dinners. The culture and values are talked about frequently and are brilliant ones to have. Store manager is very enthusiastic

Cons

Expect you to travel all over the country for regular meetings, steering group keep things hidden from middle management, steering have little experience in their own roles to support others, constantly told how to lead but it isn't applicable to next level up who have no time for you. Expected to train in your own time and not be paid for it. Even now the steering team are still not ready for their roles, particularly sales and logistics where both functions are suffering due to high management. Sadly they are unapproachable

Advice to Management

Future stores should open with an experienced steering group, trial and error is great when not everyone is brand new.

"Reasonable employer, but not the best for customer service or loyalty to staff"

Former Employee - Co-worker- Sales Floor in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Co-worker- Sales Floor in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at IKEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay
    Good discount and perks
    Cheap or free lunches
    Claim to be a value based company, that is about 60% true

Cons

Work/life balance poor for part time staff as they work most weekends. For example I often worked Friday afternoon until 10.00 pm, back in on Saturday at 12 noon until 10.00 pm and back in on Sunday 12.00 noon till 6.00pm.
    Usually worked more than the 20 hours contracted, nearly full time hours.
    Part time staff were employed to enable full time staff to have every other weekend off. It would be more fair if all staff got 1 in 3 weekends off.
    HR made promises about employment and broke the promises, therefore their values are flawed.
    As a company they are inflexible when it comes to customer service. As a customer I experienced two very poor instances of customer service.

"sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Reading, England

I worked at IKEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very inclusive and co-worker orientated

Cons

there were late notice shifts

11. "Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on people and very keen for people to develop to maximise their potential. Good package

Cons

Far away from Newquay which means a lot of travel

Showing 2,074 of 2,158 reviews