Liberty Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Adil Khan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Generous staff discount (35%) compared to other department store competitors" (in 7 reviews)

• "Good company to work for especially intern" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Head office looks down at staff in store" (in 8 reviews)

• "Very long hours, poor work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Lovely staff"

I have been working at Liberty full-time

Pros

Lovely staff that work there.

Cons

Working hours are long at 9 hours each shift.

2. "Lovely company but high turnover of6staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Liberty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in beautiful surroundings and products

Cons

Can be long hours sometimes

Advice to Management

None

3. "Not bad, but not great"

I have been working at Liberty part-time

Pros

Generous discount, great products, lovely building, flexible working hours.

Cons

Pay is low, management on all levels is poor. Poor communication between head office and store staff

Advice to Management

Walk the talk

4. "Amazing when I started, awful when I left"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Liberty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good incentive.
    Amazing management when I started in 2015.
    Friendly co-workers on same level of employment.

Cons

Management got worse and worse over 2 years.
    No communication from top down.
    Head office looks down at staff in store.
    Constant mistakes in pay/incentives/rota.

5. "Import coordinator"

I worked at Liberty full-time

Pros

staff discount
    well located offices

Cons

no progression
    absent management

6. "Ok"

Pros

Family environment and nice team dynamic

Cons

Hierarchical with little progression

"Appalling Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Liberty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff discount
    Decent pay for retail

Cons

The worst management I have ever encountered
    I was bullied during my time by a member of staff who stole the sales of all her colleagues and was threatened on multiple occasions that I would be fired if I made any complaints
    Certain employees favourited and allowed to breach company policy, others reprimanded continually
    Management manipulated, lied and repeatedly humiliated staff
    The rota was continually done at last second, holiday requests where never met
    Terrible stock, buyers are awful at their job and refused to acknowledge input from sales associates so it is incredibly difficult to sell
    Stock rooms are a disorganised disaster, stock would get damaged and then would be impossible to sell
    Working conditions in winter were unbearable, no heating and the doors wide open
    Management would take pictures of staff spying on us trying to prove we were talking instead of serving customers
    Plenty of pleasant customers but you also have to put up with abuse from some truly awful entitled customers, I was verbally abused on a number of occasions, you have to have an incredibly thick skin to survive here
    Overall an awful incredibly stressful experience, I would never go back to liberty and was shocked by the reality of the store

Advice to Management

Buyers should listen to sales associates, rather than ignoring any customer feedback they receive
    Actually value your employees , despite being sales associates we are still human beings and deserve to be treated as such
    Address the issues of bullying

8. "Poor Management from Senior Exec Level"

I worked at Liberty full-time

Pros

Individual's create a great place of work within teams (both in HO and retail), and work hard to achieve individual goals

Cons

No clear strategy across the business, different departments work in silo rather than together.
    'Office politics' are clear to all across the business, and make it hard for anyone to achieve anything
    Unfortunately certain senior managers across the store and head office rule with fear, and create a negative environment offering no support or development

Advice to Management

Don't let politics get in the way of the culture of what used to be an amazing brand to work for. Take feedback seriously and don't sweep it under the carpet if it doesn't fit in with the 'political' agenda

"Honestly a Living Hell!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Liberty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

•Staff Discounts.
    •Resonable Working Hours.
    • Lenient Dress Code.

Cons

Now where does one start! I worked at Liberty for just under a year and really and truly was the most stressful experience of my life.
    •I was being bullied by one of my colleagues and they had been stealing my sales and clients and when confronted would essentially take it upon themselves to ensure that your work life was miserable. When you would speak to management about it everyone would agree with you that the person was clearly bullying the whole team but would then brush it off as they were too afraid to confront this individual.
    •Managers would mess up rotas consistently and when you would bring it up they would all lie and say that they didn’t make the rota it lie and say that you said you were available or something crazy like that. They would also change it almost everyday and swap shifts without letting you know or asking if you were available.
    •Senior management would speak down on staff and treat us like dirt. They would also stand on upper levels and watch us or take pictures of us so later they could yell at us for speaking to each other even if this was conceding a customer.
    •Managers would avoid coming to deal with customer complaints and refunds and ask you to sort it out yourself knowing very well that the till will only allow managers to refund goods. And in that point it’s actually part of their job description.
    •No connection between store and head office even though they are literally connected to each other.
    •Department managers would treat team absolutely horribly and would make unacceptable comments about people and speak badly about staff behind their backs and to other team members.
    •Stock is stored absolutely horribly and devalues high value goods. And we constantly had to give out discounts to customers as goods were scratched or damaged. Up to 25% off.
    •Really small selection off goods that were also very hard to sell as they were so peculiar. Constantly having to send customers to competitors.
    These are actually just a few off the reasons I chose to leave.

Advice to Management

Management are really driving this business into the ground. Also take some notes from your competitors.

10. "Amazing Comission"

I worked at Liberty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Commission
    very relaxed environment
    nice range of people
    good discount

Cons

very competitive
    very disorganized