Macmillan Cancer Support Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 168 reviews

2.4
Macmillan Cancer Support CEO Lynda Thomas
Lynda Thomas
Pros
  • "Great cause some really great people work here(in 11 reviews)

• "Lots of great people with passion for the cause(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "structures in work as with any large charity(in 25 reviews)

• "I did towards the end of my time feel a strategic drift, and got the sense that all was not well among senior management(in 15 reviews)

"Great place but a bit too complex to navigate at times"

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time

Pros

Great staff and volunteers Sense of accomplishment Excellent benefits

Cons

Often need more head space and time to reflect and plan Too many emails

Advice to Management

Keep things simple. Clarity of purpose and direction.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-05-14

Macmillan Cancer Support Response

May 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you had a positive experience of working here. Thanks again, Dawn

"Great immediate team but constant flux"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I work with are fantastic; talented and committed. The cause is very powerful. It’s not bad for flexible working

Cons

It’s very difficult to get things done internally which is extremely frustrating. There seems to be a constant process of restructuring and change which is extremely unsettling. I’ve worked here a year and am now planning to leave

Advice to Management

There is something in the culture which means that people guard their empires madly. I think this might stem from the insecurity of constant change process and the need for people to prove their worth. Change isn’t always communicated in a respectful way, that at the very least would be reasonably straightforward to change.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-09-05
  3. "I love working here"

Current Employee - Project Team Member in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Feeling that you’re making a difference to people living with cancer. Being able to work from home. Being trusted to use my knowledge and skills effectively without being micro managed. I’ve seen the reviews which refer to bullying and racism, and although I’m not dismissing those as untrue, I have to say that I’ve not seen anything like that in the 5 years I’ve been here. There are plenty of opportunities... to give feedback to managers and the executive support team, who seem keen to obtain it and willing to act upon it.

Cons

Change can take longer than it should although that’s due to trying to consider everyone’s views or being afraid of taking a risk. There is a lot of change happening simultaneously and it has been this way for a couple of years but this is for the best interest of the organisation and the people it supports - for example to make Macmillan more efficient so that money can be focused towards the people who need it.... Communication can be hit and miss but I think that’s part of being a large organisation.

Advice to Management

Don’t be scared to make decisions and implement them quicker, and to push your operational staff to do so as well. Be more visible within your teams - in person

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-08-20

"If ever there was a company where the internal and external brands were polar opposites this is the one!"

Former Employee - Service Development in London, England

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is very little positive to say about Macmillan as an Employer. There are some fantastic people who work there and for a time they will keep you going but don't believe it will match the external hype.

Cons

If you join Macmillan because you believe it will be a great employer who has the patient at the heart of everything they do think again. This was the case 5 years ago but over the past 3 years it has gone downhill rapidly. It is all about how much money they can fundraise. They are constantly restructuring. throwing money down the drain on hair brained schemes and recruiting into over paid non-jobs in London... while cutting the funds to the front line. They treat staff at best as a commodity. Even colleagues with Cancer aren't treated with care or compassion. Bullying from the senior team is endemic. They profess to have espoused the Macmillan values and behaviours but these only apply to those at the bottom - and don't ever speak out as our senior manager pointed out - you can be open and honest as long as you don't say anything that anyone doesn't agree with and you do it 'behind closed doors'?? They are making poor decisions and don't listen to anyone inside or out once they have decided on a course of action. If you want your career, dignity and mental health to remain intact then avoid Macmillan like the plague.

Advice to Management

Look at your staff survey results and actually do something about it!! You cant carry on pretending its because of the change programme as its been going on for so long with no end in sight -although being so badly managed that the waste is almost criminal. Bullying is rife from certain individuals at the top of the tree and people are scared to speak out. You are destroying peoples lives and careers - and I... don't say that lightly.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-09-09

"POOR COMMUNICATIONS, BULLYING IS WIDESPREAD"

Current Employee - Administrative in London, England

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some people are great to work with, great brand and worthy cause, flexible working opportunites, training portal

Cons

Poor career progression opportunities, too many meetings coupled with not enough meeting rooms. Terrible senior executive team. Constant chopping and changing structure, worst communications i have ever come across. Bullying is poorly managed and means it is never dealt with and continues....... such a shame as the charity will lose good staff. The bullying and lack of comms and constant changes creates a very poor... working environment and low moral.

Advice to Management

Discipline bullying managers or get rid of them. Improve comms strategy and the EST needs to listen to staff. Without good staff the charity would not be able to help people with cancer.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-09-07

"Sadly the worst place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of flexible working, including home working. There are some lovely dedicated people in the organisation who have been around for a long time and put a lot of energy into doing the right things for the right reasons. The cause, it's a worthy cause and nothing can take away from that.

Cons

Where to begin....the amount of bullying is second to none. I have never worked in an organisation where bullying and harassment are tolerated as much as here. It's dealt with badly, and seems to stem from the same group of senior leaders, yet no one is willing to tackle the problem except dish out a significant number of NDA's for affected individuals. The turnover is huge, at all levels, and the best and smartest... people seem to leave within a year of starting. I'd say this is not the place for smart and vibrant people who like a diverse workplace which delivers at pace. I would not recommend this place to anyone, unless you are comfortable with bullying behaviours. I am truly saddened to see how some really talented people have been treated, and somehow it all feels rather old fashioned.

Advice to Management

Don't reach for the NDA as the first point of call, create a system which enables both you and the employees to have an open and fair process and conversation. You're enabling bad behaviours in the leadership team and this will continue for years to come.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-08-20

"So sad to see this once great organisation failing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was wonderful to work with such dedicated colleagues and help make a difference to the lives of people living with and affected by cancer - but the culture changed and I'm very glad that I no longer work for such a shabby organisation.

Cons

The management was terrible. An appalling bullying culture took hold. Terrible communication of a lengthy change programme led to an incredibly stressful working environment. People were constantly in fear of losing their jobs. Unionisation was resisted, and no union was recognised - which continues to be the case. I'm sad to say that I saw several people, friends included, bullied out of the charity. I also saw... managers celebrating getting rid of staff. I could never recommend this awful organisation to anyone. My experience was one of seeing a nasty corporate culture take hold, and little value placed upon long-serving, dedicated staff.

Advice to Management

So many of these Glassdoor reviews mention the bullying of staff. What is the CEO doing about this? The Charity Commission and the trustees need to investigate. This has been going on for too long and needs to stop.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-08-14

"Great people but Senior management did not give a damn"

Former Employee - Business Support in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice staff, good work life balance.

Cons

Senior management did not give a damn

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, respond to queries, take ownership as everyone liked to pass things to the next manager.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-07-04

Macmillan Cancer Support Response

August 9, 2019Resourcing Partner

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m sorry to hear you wouldn’t recommend Macmillan as a place to work. It would be helpful to hear more about your experience and use your feedback to help shape improvements that we’re currently making, so please do ...

"Staff not well supported."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and good training

Cons

Poor support. No feedback for months, criticism, humiliation from team leader and lack of support. Macmillan are always harping on about employees mental health but don't actually care at all.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, support your staff. I came to work for the team full of enthusiasm with years of knowledge of supporting people with cancer. You dashed that in a few months !

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-08-11

"Worrying lack of care for staff"

Former Employee - Manager in Vauxhall, England

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a huge amount of passion for the organisation and its mission; the people who work there are friendly, committed and helpful. Pay rates are good.

Cons

Unacceptably high turnover and a recruitment freeze, resulting in huge work pressures with no support for wellbeing of remaining staff. No scrutiny on poor operational management causing high turnover.

Macmillan Cancer Support2019-08-10