MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 54 reviews)

• Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal (in 34 reviews)

Cons

"Still a fan of MediaMath"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture, people, flexibility, small company yet huge clients, leader in the market

Cons

pay below market, management not always on top of everything

Advice to Management

listen to your employees; especially from the teams with the higher turnover; prevent them from leaving offering an actually competitive salary

"Get in and get out"

Former Employee - Vice President, Strategy Management in London, England
    Former Employee - Vice President, Strategy Management in London, England

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free Lunches on Fridays
    - Free breakfast and an abundance of milk
    - Massages (if you have no work on and can respond to the email fast enough)
    - Monthly Free drinks at the Phoenix
    - You will be thrown in the deep end so you will get exposed to a wide range of clients
    - If you want a trip to New York or another office you can go there with a limp excuse
    - Very loose and carefree attitude amongst all employees

Cons

- Terrible pay and raises
    - Waves of people leaving the company / restructuring
    - No clear career progression, you'll probably report into someone in New York who will come into the office at 10-11am local time
    - Top heavy organisation , the list of VP's are endless here.
    - Low employee retention resulting in low morale for the office overall
    - Very poor HR Team overall

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees and sort out the morale

MediaMath Response

23 Mar 2017 – Managing Director, EMEA

I’m sorry to hear you feel this way – the criticisms that you make are indicative of a bad individual experience with your team and supervisors, but do not reflect the values, culture, or actual... More

3. "Good place to work"

Pros

Great team and work-life balance

Cons

Restructuring may have impacted morales.

Advice to Management

At a risk of losing talents

"A fair place to work with local ability to overcome immediate challenges"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An excellent work-life balance for those that want it - advocacy of working remotely truly encouraged via accountability.

Local management are doing so well in view of a prescribed framework and should be commended for dealing with challenges not of their own making.

Cons

IMO, some priorities need to be shifted around for the greater good.

Often felt that (only in some cases!) those with a trans-atlantic reporting line could be accused of letting local colleagues down.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight for greater autonomy and responsibility. Some truly talented people have left through frustrations and more are sure to follow - but I have every confidence in the skilled local senior management to make things work.

"Feels like a very special place!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At MediaMath you really get the sense that everyone is working towards something that is meaningful and game changing. There are some great people working here and the culture is very open and informal. You feel you have a voice and is often asked for feedback. There is a lot to learn from the team here: some scarily intelligent and smart people work here. In addition some great perks like weekly massages and all the snacks you could ever wish for. Really appreciate the flexible working arrangements and the very comprehensive benefit package. You feel you are looked after and appreciated.

Cons

The structure is a little crazy with a lot of functional reporting lines into the US. This can often make it difficult for us to ensure a holistic approach is taken for the EMEA business. We need to improve internal communication, more celebration of successes and more information about coverall company performance. Less big talk and more facts (keep it simple!). Also need a better solution for communication flow between product and the client facing part of the business.

Advice to Management

Shift dotted lines in EMEA to solid lines. It’s not that we want to run in our own direction (feels like the head office fear that hence don't let go), but we have to devote a lot of unnecessary time coordinating and getting decisions made for the EMEA business because of too many budget holders in EMEA. A lot of people find it very challenging having managers located in the US. Many of our employees are relatively junior and could benefit greatly from a local manager who can support them on a daily basis providing immediate guidance and feedback on day-to-day work.

"Waste of time but friendly people"

Pros

You will be able to explore every possible technology to work on your projects, there will be no manager to check what you are doing anyway.

Very friendly environment, a lot of enthusiast young people.

Their tech stack is "everything" literally everything - multiple caching system coexisting together on multiple frameworks with a collection of all the languages out there. A bit of java, PHP, coffescript, backbone, less CSS, ruby, python, go, node, erlang, rabbitmq, scala, clojure, etc... all in one little project. Try to imagine the big ones.

Cons

Unclear responsibility. Pretty much: if it's wrong its your fault, if it's good it's the team achievement.

More politics than technology. Refresh your oratory skills if you want to work there, rather than your tech ones.

You will be told that everything is wonderful, but expect to be made redundant at any stage, as what is really going on will be carefully hidden. This company went to different phases of "restructuring" and redundancy already.

Management is laughable, but you have to obey working on useless projects that might never see any real application a part from keeping you busy until you will be handed a redundancy notice.
    If you want to work there, make sure you are working on something vital for the company and try to be friendly with the big bosses. - Sad but true.

"Overall it's still a great place to work"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The two best things about MediaMath are the people and culture. The team are friendly, collaborative, down to Earth; this truly is a place where you can count your colleagues as friends. In addition to this, you very much get the sense that you are surrounded by motivated, driven and extremely knowledgeable individuals. The team is ultimately what drives the great culture within MediaMath. Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible. We have a Culture Club who do an amazing job of planning events for us all, giving us the opportunity to enjoy each others company outside of work. There are lots of other perks like in office massages, free Friday lunches, snacks and drinks which help to make it a really enjoyable place to work.

Cons

A lot of things have changed within MediaMath over the past 12 months and it could definitely be said that the company here in London has experienced some growing pains. Obviously the office space is a major issue but something that will be resolved soon enough. The U.S does try to exert an inordinate amount of control over the London team, which is incredibly frustrating but this is an issue that is getting more and more air play so once again, I expect that it will become less of a problem in the coming year. The London office has scaled quite quickly and as is often the case when a company grows at a rapid rate, there was a lack of direction and clarity of vision but once again, the feedback has been heard and things are changing. I have seen some fairly outlandish claims made in earlier reviews but I haven’t been privy to any toxicity, politics, lack of leadership or excessive partying. While it made for an entertaining and dramatic narrative, I have to say that in my experience none of that is true. It’s not a perfect place to work, but it’s a company made up of intelligent, hard working people who get along well, celebrate each other’s success and are all working towards a common goal. I’m happy here and hope to have a long and successful career with MediaMath.

Advice to Management

The leadership team have always been very approachable and happy to take the time to listen to feedback from employees, especially when it hasn't been positive. They do seem to have a genuine interest in listening and making things better so just keep doing what you've been doing!

"The Wonderful World of MediaMath"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was welcomed into MediaMath with friendly and open arms! My experience so far from my first interview to first day has been enjoyable, fulfilling and fun with ample opportunities to learn and develop.

With the open plan office layout MediaMathers of all levels interact, collaborate and share in successes and frequently socialise over free beers and regular social events. The perks are incredible; Free Friday lunches, opportunities to join sports teams, fortnightly massages, a kitchen on each floor fully stocked with an array of snacks and beverages and lots more!

The atmosphere is friendly and laid back and I have met some great people.

Cons

Lack of autonomy for EMEA teams. Reporting lines could be improved- opportunities to learn from a manager on the ground missed.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the culture of MediaMath as we grow and expand

"Top Team!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For me, one of the main highlights of working for MediaMath is the office culture. The team are tight knit and this is evident in the friendly “vibe” throughout the office. This makes for a collaborative environment and teams genuinely have interest in seeing other teams succeed. There are monthly social activities which are superbly organised and cover a whole host of interests. This is a place where your colleagues quickly become your friends – everyone bonds over a free beer or two!

The office layout means that the executives are accessible and we are frequently encouraged to use the open line of communication offered which is refreshing.

Work/life balance is great and I personally feel that I am trusted by my manager to manage my workload remotely as and when I need to.

Cons

The lack of space! Plus the office could do with some sprucing up – something which I know efforts are being made to do.

"Poisonous Senior Leadership and political environment"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is good
    - Able to travel frequently with excellent airlines, and top hotels (no one keeps a check on this, so the US employees are having great fun touring Europe on the pretence that its for "work purposes", and vice versa for the UK employees
    - Opportunity to work with some good clients
    - Excellent benefits
    - Free lunches on a Friday

Cons

- Poisonous and political environment. Clique-ish environment that harbours an attitude of self preservation rather than supporting and bettering one another
    - Zero Leadership:- CEO lies to turn employees against each other if he feels he is losing power, plus is seen as an untrusted figure in the UK. Micromanaging and unfocused CEO
    - The majority of the reviews on here are fake, as employees are encouraged to write a positive review, or forced by HR or Recruitment to write one
    - The Recruitment Department is over staffed considering there are hardly any roles to recruit for. The Company has seen the best people leave, or bullied out of the business. I've watched three senior people get driven out through office politics, slandering, backstabbing and outright bullying
    MediaMath is no longer seen as the best place to work, instead a stepping stone to gaining better jobs in the industry. Teams are shrinking each day as many people are openly looking for another job. The great culture of MediaMath is long dead, with turnover numbers which are high
    - Slowly losing some top clients, as management has no idea how to read the market trends, listen to customers, or build
    - Promotions are not done on meritocracy, but rather favouritism and perception
    - APAC offices are seen as an after thought
    - Cramped London office, compared to the luxury New York office

Advice to Management

It's time to clean out the house. Several quality employees were driven away because of the toxic environment. Treat your employees like people, not disposable assets. Get rid of your very senior management, and CEO from the UK and start over. Stop all the drinking binges and partying and get down to running a company, not flushing investors money down the toilet. Figure it out fast!

MediaMath Response

6 Jan 2016 – Managing Director, EMEA

Hi-

Thank you for your review, we take feedback here seriously. I am disappointed to read your negative experience at MediaMath, as it differs greatly from the empowered workplace we try to... More