Merlin Entertainments Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

3.7
Merlin Entertainments CEO Nick Varney
Nick Varney
Pros
  • "The Magic Pass (free tickets to all attractions) makes you very popular overnight(in 38 reviews)

• "Good benefits, nice environment, fun(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "hard work, long hours culture in back-office functions(in 42 reviews)

• "Staff are often rushed due to the sheer volume of people that come to their attractions(in 29 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "A fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Birmingham, England, England

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments full-time

Pros

Not only flexible working around family needs but also dynamic working

Cons

entertainment industry so weekend work which suits me

2. "Good for Uni jobs"

4.0
    Former Employee - Rides Operator in Windsor, South East England, England, England

I worked at Merlin Entertainments part-time

Pros

Easy to come back to for Summers

Cons

Lack of Progression at times

3. "Ideal for students"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant Twilight in Windsor, South East England, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're looking for a part time job for a simple paycheck between terms at uni, Look no further. Free tickets, 40% discount on lego, generous Perks website. You will make some great lifelong friends.

Cons

If you're looking for a full time job with great career prospects, then avoid this place at all costs. Before I started working here I read reviews on this website claiming that management were cliquey with their friends and that is how they become managers. Nothing in my 2 years here has disproven this. Management spend so much time with their friends they over look those who are really doing the work, and others take credit for it. HR don't want to hear your genuine complaints or concerns and will label them as inappropriate or unprofessional, despite them being true, or the complaints you are raising being about unprofessional behaviour! In my time here a manager, when speaking about a trans member of staff said 'This is why I miss Hitler' because 'People like that would have been put down or put in a nuthouse!', this was investigated by HR and they spoke to 8 witnesses, and the manager in question kept their job... 1 week before locked in 2020, we were told that if the park is forced to close we will be paid our contracted hours for the duration of its closure (this is before furlough was announce), 3 days after the parked closed we were told they were changing our contracted hours to zero. I checked with citizens advice who informed me this was illegal. If you wish to progress within this company, then make friends with managers and senior managers, even directors if you can as they too influence the decision when opportunities arise. If these people are not your friends you don't stand a chance. Understand that management will gossip about you behind your back, often with other hosts. And occasionally about others hosts to you, who are more than likely your friends. Managers will also gossip about each other, in an attempt to make themselves feel superior, and look superior to the hosts. I once contacted HR with thoughts of suicide, it was ignored, and I found myself in a disciplinary a few months after. If you have a grievance with a colleague, its easier to just quit, managers don't want any problems brought to them, they just want to act like everything is perfect. What you need to understand is, most managers and higher, have been working here since they were 18, so have no real work experience outside of legoland, and therefore the legoland way is the only way of working, anyone who comes from outside with realistic ideas, is considered a troublemaker. The park is essentially run by kids, and as they grew up working in the same place, they are still childish.

Continue reading
  4. "Meh"

2.0
    Former Employee - Rides Operator in Chertsey, England, England

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time for more than a year

Pros

I just want to read glassdoor reviews but I've "GoT tO cOnTrIbUtE" just leave me alone and let me use the website damn!

Cons

No cons if you're under qualified in life or just want a summer job then work at a theme park. They'll hire anyone so really inclusive. I'm a financial advisor now so for me it was just a summer job but hey some people like doing low level manual labour forever.

Continue reading
  5. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Host

I worked at Merlin Entertainments part-time

Pros

A fun environment, work hard/play hard

Cons

No bad points to working here

6. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Host in London, England, England

I worked at Merlin Entertainments part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of different people to work with who are all generally friendly.

Cons

Some departments are better than others.

7. "Mixed Experience"

Former Employee - AV Technician in London, England, England

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time

Pros

Great locations and job variation, dynamic environment

Cons

Low pay, mixed quality of management, some very badly run departments and staff not always fully valued by managers. Other times very positive experience. Job titles not always living up to actual responsibility as a way of leading ethusiastic employees in for less pay.

8. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company cares for the wellbeing of its employees - Very flexible with working condition - Family style environment

Cons

- Not enough career progression - Pay is not in line with other roles in the city

9. "."

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant

I worked at Merlin Entertainments part-time for more than a year

Pros

enjoyed working here for a year.

Cons

gets very busy during summer.

10. "Great"

Current Employee - Ground Ops

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun company to work for

Cons

No down side to work for

Viewing 1 - 10 of 594 Reviews