MicroStrategy Reviews

Updated 8 Jul 2020

2.9
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor
Pros
  • "MicroStrategy is a good employer to work for with flexibility, work life balance and diversity culture(in 95 reviews)

• "Great people, benefits and lots of challenges for those willing to look(in 45 reviews)

"Manager"

5.0

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, hard working people

Cons

office is too noisy at times

"Strong solid IT software company with powerful platform and good differentiators"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid internal business processes Excellent platform Long standing CEO

Cons

Difficult to get new logos

Continue reading
  3. "You'll thrive with your drive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a company that recognizes achievements/accomplishments. In relative terms, it is open to ideas if escalated to the right people and things can get done. The rewards and perks are relevant whilst the flexible working lifestyle is a big perk which demonstrates trust and value from employees.

Cons

There are decisions made that didn't make sense in terms of cost and efficiencies and these changes had been disruptive and brought low morale on some teams.

May 13, 2019HR Manager

Thanks for the feedback. We couldn’t agree more. We’ve polled our employees and found commitment and drive equal success here at MicroStrategy. Yes, decisions have been made recently to make sure we’re managing the organization and being accountable for supporting our revenue and growth. As a result, we have made some organizational changes and refining our operating model to be effective and more efficient as a business. We do need to continue to work on our internal communications and ensure employees understand business decisions– which is one of the reasons we rolled out Slack at the end of last year. Thank you again for your input!

4. "nice place of work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

very flexible place of work

Cons

pay rates are very average

"Account Executive - Great time to join as product, vision and market are at the perfect spot."

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Marketing leading product. One of the few BI products which lives up to its pitch. Making it very easy to sell and prospects are genuinely interested. - Support resources available 24/7 (including pre-sales, sales ops, BDR, finance, etc.) - Great customer base with lots of success stories - Team culture across regions - Values employees, senior execs always available - Competitive comp plan and targets - Marketing push for 2018 (increased leads and awareness in market) - Cloud and data prep capabilities disarm any competitors

Cons

- Some extra process to ensure sales close but not too much to get in the way

"I'm Sparticus"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

MicroStrategy acts like one big start up but with  over $600m in bank. Pros and cons stem from this. Financially stable. Can lead to relative well paid opportunities as people move on in droves.  Can be a "creative" place to work if you are in a respected dept or niche. Good stepping stone but there are plenty of better tech companies out there.

Cons

MSTR is in the doldrums following the restructure in 2014-15 that hit operations and people hard. This affected short term and medium term performance.  The dilemma for the CEO-CFO that they cannot get around. Parameters:  massive restructure by CEO who explains this is to move into margins vs breakeven as a goal; gross staff turnover is massive so most parts of organisation and lines of business adversely affected;  like all software companies about 3/4 of costs are directly headcount related; so as people leave margin goes up; as so many leave, the business is affected and revenue productively stalls short/medium term as well as lack of product development (or spent on white elephants like usher); in enterprise software average sales cycles are 6-12 months at least; most software is moving to cloud but MSTR hasn't mastered this and even if they did, reported revenues will fall versus licencing on a on-prem basis; as the company appear to be focussed on Expense to Revenue % as a model, as revenues fall so should spend, unless they agree margins to fall. When reported margin falls this is what caused the restructure. They cant level % spend by increasing revenues as they are not selling as they used to. Death spiral short - medium term. Repeat cycle before long term benefits.  Hint: As headcount in total brace yourselves as it goes over 2500 and alarm bells ring at 3000. Fuzzy lines between executive business and private spend. Culture of wilful ignorance perhaps.

November 7, 2017Chief Human Resources Officer

I appreciate the thoughtful response and historical perspective that you provide. You are correct, there is a good amount of money that we have built up. You are also correct, there has been a period of re-structure that has been painful for the company and that we have worked through. I do believe now we are at a point of a focus on growth through investments in Product and Marketing as well as a focus on our people to develop better managers and leaders across the business to support the efforts of the incredibly smart people we have. One of the primary drivers that differentiates MicroStrategy is the history and staying partner of a company in this space. There are many things one can be critical about regarding the path we have taken to get to this point (or to be laudable about), but the fact that the company exists, continues to attract and develop great people, and is building momentum with our product through our latest releases is a testament to something going well here that is a powerful and something to be a part of if you are interested in a career in BI and/or software.

7. "Great product but lacks direction"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Great Product and Great People

Cons

Lacks Direction, Poor Marketing, Poor Execution, High Attrition, Ridiculous Pricing Model, Lack of Planning, Knee-Jerk Reactions

"Business Development"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

As a 'pocket filler', not for career prospects.

Cons

Do not apply, may be hazardous to your health. Please take this statement seriously.

Continue reading

"Was a good company, once upon a time..."

I worked at MicroStrategy for more than 10 years

Pros

Had unofficial flexible working hours and a good atmosphere. Did have good employees with long tenures.

Cons

Does not regard back office staff as anything but a cost and they do not understand the importance of having an experienced and good support structure. Company has been struggling for a few years since CEO became involved in the operational side of the business.

May 30, 2017HR

We are sorry to hear of your negative experience, but we do want to thank you for your long tenure with MicroStrategy. Good luck in your career and thank you for your review.

"Pity"

2.0

I worked at MicroStrategy

Pros

Good technology, though not breakthrough nor delightful. Genuine effort to get organized and structured. Improving customer retention and satisfaction.

Cons

Worn out management, bitter atmosphere, lack of collaboration and vision. Frustrated and disenchanted customers. No partner strategy. People worry about getting fired too much.

March 21, 2017HR

This is important feedback that we are happy you have communicated. We will be passing this along to our management teams and are currently working towards management development. Thank you for your service with MicroStrategy.

Found 906 reviews