Moonpig Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Jody Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A good place with great potential"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There's enough backing, autonomy and potential in the product to turn a decent product into a great one. A good place if you fancy a challenge and prioritise learning
    - Good ways of working
    - Nice people
    - Competitive salaries and benefits
    - Amazing new office (coming soon)

Cons

- High expectations can make the environment feel pressurised
    - Way understaffed for our objectives right now

Advice to Management

If we want to meet our goals, we need to retaining and recruit as many good people as possible - and fast.

"A company which has lost its way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Moonpig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a good business in there somewhere.

Cons

The leadership team (right from the very top) just aren't clear about the business' strategy. Too many senior leaders have mysteriously "resigned" recently (with no other job to go to) resulting in a lack of direction and meaning things all feel a bit rudderless.

Advice to Management

Try and have faith in the staff. Stop with all the short term ism to please the owners.

"Nice place to work, bit chaotic though..."

Pros

- Really friendly people and a nice atmosphere in the office. Most people are approachable and helpful
    - They really try to include people from all sites, so the people in head office get to go to the factories etc...
    - You get quite a bit of credit to spend on Moonpig (over £300) which is a lot of birthday cards!
    - The chance to really get involved in the tech and if you have the motivation you can become a rock star
    - Nice shiny new offices. Thank god, I got fed up of having to queue for the toilets!

Cons

- Very disorganised, not chaos, but close. They want to do the right things but don't seem to have enough people leading.
    - Very hard to find info, it's all in people's heads but not much written down and what there is seems to be out of date. It's a big eng team but as above, no coordination.
    - Pay/benefits, apart from the Moonpig credit, is a bit meh. They claim to be a special/amazing/best place to work but it all seems pretty standard for any tech company. Turnover rate seems higher than for similar companies, that says a lot
    - Not much chance for career advancement
    - Rash decisions made by management, very knee jerk when the investors are unhappy. As ever it's the lower downs that pay, never the actual management
    - Bonus system seems a work of fantasy

Advice to Management

- You made the decision to change your process, now give the team the leadership they need to make the change
    - Stop the knee jerk decisions! We know that you are at the behest of the investors but how about some long-term planning?
    - Get the eng teams organised properly. People work super hard but seem up against it
    - Be more honest with your staff

4. "Front of House"

I worked at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Unfortunately there were not many pros.. If any!

Cons

Biased treatment of staff. Experience a lot of discrimination. If you don't work in the technical department you are seen as expendable. Insensitive to different culture, I guess based on pure ignorance.

5. "Mixed bag. Confusing place to work depending on which part you're in."

I worked at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Great company to work for who really care for and look after their staff. Good atmosphere and genuinely progressive in the way they think about working. Plenty of social perks and relaxed office where the upper management get involved with every aspect of the business in a positive way.

Cons

Certain parts of the business have really unclear objectives and become ridiculously stretched in peak periods where weekend/evening work is normal and expected. (Don't leave with lieu days, you won't get them paid back to you) Constant change leaves you never really feeling settled.

Advice to Management

Upper management need to see there are certain cliques in mid management who make it difficult for new starters to fit in if they don't do things their way.

"keep pushing!"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

brilliant people, culture and workplace and getting better all the time - super transparent, with no time for business bs or politics

business fundamentals are strong

clear and ambitious goals especially with new squads way of working

flat/non-hierarchical structure with license to shake things up - there's there little bureaucracy or limits put on creative solutions

management are very approachable

Cons

lots of change happening - most of it positive and necessary - but some of the team are freaked out by it

processes can be a little light. if you require huge amounts of corporate structure and support around you then this might not be the place for you

Advice to Management

show how all the goals ladder up to a bigger plan

acknowledge all the change going on, positive and negative

"A desire to keep getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southwark, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southwark, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the friendliest places I've worked. There does appear to be a genuine desire to keep improving because, as with many companies, there are areas that they need to get better. But the important thing is awareness. Are the management aware of what's wrong? I think they are. You can't change things overnight. But there has to be a desire from my colleagues and I to also play our part. No point constantly moaning, which I see a lot of -- what are you going to do to make things better? It's not about just sitting back and saying 'it's always been this way'. I want to actively help make Moonpig a better place to work.

Saying that, I genuinely would recommend coming to work here if you can. There's a lot of opportunity to just 'go off' and make something work without the constraints of a huge corporate. Which might be scary for some people who need their hands held, but for anyone else it's a rare treat.

To summarise, there's plenty to do here and everybody is busy, so it's nice that treats are provided regularly (like drinks etc) and there's a good atmosphere in the Southwark office generally. I'd much rather it be a bit noisy with some life rather than a dry, boring grey office.

Cons

Sometimes it isn't always clear what we're all working towards. This is getting better but I feel like everybody could do with a 'reset' so it's fresh in everyone's minds.

Facilities in the shared building aren't the best. Lack of toilets etc can be a pain. But we are going to be moving later this year so hopefully this sort of thing will be resolved.

Advice to Management

Talk more. Jody does a good job and is a friendly, approachable person but would be nice to hear from the others in his team too.

8. "Bacon anyone?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Good local culture, in some of the teams

Cons

* Not a great benefit package
     * Used to be a fun place to work in, not anymore
     * Salaries are below average
     * Getting a bonus is an extraordinary event not related to your performance
     * Immature product culture
     * Management doesn't understand Agile and apply improvements without really knowing what problems they are trying to fix
     * Increasingly hierarchical and politics driven

Advice to Management

I've given my advice when I was part of the company

"Fun, understanding and flexible company to work for"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in London, England
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flat hierarchical structure, everyone is really friendly and approachable.
    Really creative and laid back environment.
    Lots of passionate people who care about improving the brand and the overall experience of the website.
    Plenty of opportunities to get involved with different teams and collaborate.

Cons

Can sometimes feel a little disorganised and panicky because of last minute changes and reactions to trade.
    Can feel like there is a lack of confidence in decisions at times.
    Not always much clarity on who does what.

Advice to Management

I think improvements could be made with better communication through the business and better opportunities for progression.

"Unsustainable growth with asset stripping deadlines. Avoid."

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Based on the fake reviews here, I guess they pay some employees to write them, so it must be nice for some staff.
    Compensation was reasonable, at market rates.

Cons

Private equity owners are only interested in growth; they installed new management at the CxO group level to ensure this end, resulting in an oppressive environment for the average employee.

The platform is creaking with 15 years of technical debt which makes actual improvements to platform increasingly difficult.
    Yet there is no drive to improve the situation, only slapdash short cuts to plaster over the cracks to get in a few more sales.

Nothing is documented, to solve basic problems you are encouraged to pester the beleaguered, demoralised crew of team leads who have the precious domain knowledge in their heads and who are dwindling in number.

Little can be done without them. New approaches or challenges to alter the status quo are met with "it's always been like this" responses from a tech team who haven't been allowed the time to improve the software the company relies on.

Cherry on the cake is the small desks in the overcrowded, noisy office which is always either too hot or too cold, where you have to queue to use all the facilities (meeting rooms, kitchen, even the toilets)

There are far better employers out there who will not waste your time with all this as well as the pointless meetings and bureaucratic Jira workflows.

I suggest you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I assume they only care about the growth targets they've been set by the board, as their bonus depends on it, but to whomever replaces the current mgt, I would say:

Invest in your current staff and reap the benefit, rather than trying to asset strip all value in the shortest time possible.