Moonpig Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jody Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A good place with great potential"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There's enough backing, autonomy and potential in the product to turn a decent product into a great one. A good place if you fancy a challenge and prioritise learning
    - Good ways of working
    - Nice people
    - Competitive salaries and benefits
    - Amazing new office (coming soon)

Cons

- High expectations can make the environment feel pressurised
    - Way understaffed for our objectives right now

Advice to Management

If we want to meet our goals, we need to retaining and recruit as many good people as possible - and fast.

2. "Mixed bag. Confusing place to work depending on which part you're in."

I worked at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Great company to work for who really care for and look after their staff. Good atmosphere and genuinely progressive in the way they think about working. Plenty of social perks and relaxed office where the upper management get involved with every aspect of the business in a positive way.

Cons

Certain parts of the business have really unclear objectives and become ridiculously stretched in peak periods where weekend/evening work is normal and expected. (Don't leave with lieu days, you won't get them paid back to you) Constant change leaves you never really feeling settled.

Advice to Management

Upper management need to see there are certain cliques in mid management who make it difficult for new starters to fit in if they don't do things their way.

"keep pushing!"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

brilliant people, culture and workplace and getting better all the time - super transparent, with no time for business bs or politics

business fundamentals are strong

clear and ambitious goals especially with new squads way of working

flat/non-hierarchical structure with license to shake things up - there's there little bureaucracy or limits put on creative solutions

management are very approachable

Cons

lots of change happening - most of it positive and necessary - but some of the team are freaked out by it

processes can be a little light. if you require huge amounts of corporate structure and support around you then this might not be the place for you

Advice to Management

show how all the goals ladder up to a bigger plan

acknowledge all the change going on, positive and negative

"A desire to keep getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southwark, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southwark, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the friendliest places I've worked. There does appear to be a genuine desire to keep improving because, as with many companies, there are areas that they need to get better. But the important thing is awareness. Are the management aware of what's wrong? I think they are. You can't change things overnight. But there has to be a desire from my colleagues and I to also play our part. No point constantly moaning, which I see a lot of -- what are you going to do to make things better? It's not about just sitting back and saying 'it's always been this way'. I want to actively help make Moonpig a better place to work.

Saying that, I genuinely would recommend coming to work here if you can. There's a lot of opportunity to just 'go off' and make something work without the constraints of a huge corporate. Which might be scary for some people who need their hands held, but for anyone else it's a rare treat.

To summarise, there's plenty to do here and everybody is busy, so it's nice that treats are provided regularly (like drinks etc) and there's a good atmosphere in the Southwark office generally. I'd much rather it be a bit noisy with some life rather than a dry, boring grey office.

Cons

Sometimes it isn't always clear what we're all working towards. This is getting better but I feel like everybody could do with a 'reset' so it's fresh in everyone's minds.

Facilities in the shared building aren't the best. Lack of toilets etc can be a pain. But we are going to be moving later this year so hopefully this sort of thing will be resolved.

Advice to Management

Talk more. Jody does a good job and is a friendly, approachable person but would be nice to hear from the others in his team too.

5. "Bacon anyone?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Good local culture, in some of the teams

Cons

* Not a great benefit package
     * Used to be a fun place to work in, not anymore
     * Salaries are below average
     * Getting a bonus is an extraordinary event not related to your performance
     * Immature product culture
     * Management doesn't understand Agile and apply improvements without really knowing what problems they are trying to fix
     * Increasingly hierarchical and politics driven

Advice to Management

I've given my advice when I was part of the company

"Fun, understanding and flexible company to work for"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in London, England
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flat hierarchical structure, everyone is really friendly and approachable.
    Really creative and laid back environment.
    Lots of passionate people who care about improving the brand and the overall experience of the website.
    Plenty of opportunities to get involved with different teams and collaborate.

Cons

Can sometimes feel a little disorganised and panicky because of last minute changes and reactions to trade.
    Can feel like there is a lack of confidence in decisions at times.
    Not always much clarity on who does what.

Advice to Management

I think improvements could be made with better communication through the business and better opportunities for progression.

"Unsustainable growth with asset stripping deadlines. Avoid."

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Based on the fake reviews here, I guess they pay some employees to write them, so it must be nice for some staff.
    Compensation was reasonable, at market rates.

Cons

Private equity owners are only interested in growth; they installed new management at the CxO group level to ensure this end, resulting in an oppressive environment for the average employee.

The platform is creaking with 15 years of technical debt which makes actual improvements to platform increasingly difficult.
    Yet there is no drive to improve the situation, only slapdash short cuts to plaster over the cracks to get in a few more sales.

Nothing is documented, to solve basic problems you are encouraged to pester the beleaguered, demoralised crew of team leads who have the precious domain knowledge in their heads and who are dwindling in number.

Little can be done without them. New approaches or challenges to alter the status quo are met with "it's always been like this" responses from a tech team who haven't been allowed the time to improve the software the company relies on.

Cherry on the cake is the small desks in the overcrowded, noisy office which is always either too hot or too cold, where you have to queue to use all the facilities (meeting rooms, kitchen, even the toilets)

There are far better employers out there who will not waste your time with all this as well as the pointless meetings and bureaucratic Jira workflows.

I suggest you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I assume they only care about the growth targets they've been set by the board, as their bonus depends on it, but to whomever replaces the current mgt, I would say:

Invest in your current staff and reap the benefit, rather than trying to asset strip all value in the shortest time possible.

"Good team vision of how things should be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Moonpig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment with friendly and knowledgable people. The technology teams are lead by people with a good vision for how technology should work and push that vision forward.

Cons

Coordination between teams could definitely be improved, with teams routinely blocking other teams from completing work or in some cases even starting.

"Tries to be more than what it really is"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Moonpig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good office culture, laid back, no stress
    - some treats like monthly birthday drinks, sometimes free pizza
    - tech stack is up to date
    - continuous deployment, cloud infrastructure, agile methodologies

Cons

- company wants to do much more than it can, since they were bought by a private investor they need to reach monetary goals they can´t (and won´t ever) accomplish. therefore management is only constantly trying to reach unattainable goals making changes all the time and never following a single direction. this ends up in:
      * teams being changed / people randomly reassigned every few months
      * projects being cancelled
      * people are being treated as resources, individuals get relocated to other teams and work on different aspects of the business without consultation

- there is no technical governance, everybody pretty much does whatever they want, ending up in a big technical mess

- the website project is horrendous

- lots of legacy software from when the company was created that needs to be maintained because the factory or customer services have to use them

- many employees that have been in the company for a long time have recently left, and all their knowledge with them (as nothing is documented) which will definitely become an issue in the short term

- the office is really loud, cramped and extremely hot in the summer, though the company will relocate soon and this will probably be solved

Advice to Management

stop trying to be more than an e-commerce business, focus on what moonpig does and do it well, don´t try to reach for another galaxy, reach for the moon.
    stop moving people around without asking them, and think before starting projects.
    follow one direction and follow it to the end
    hire competent middle management

otherwise more people will leave

10. "Not too bad"

I worked at Moonpig full-time

Pros

Good, friendly work atmosphere. Lots of free stuff

Cons

No chance of progression if you are on management level.