Optiver Reviews

Updated Aug 1, 2021

Found 258 of over 293 reviews

4.2
Pros
  • "People, work environment, remuneration, work life balance(in 33 reviews)

• "Very nice and smart people to work with(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours which are (unfortunately) an industry standard(in 10 reviews)

• "Relies strongly on organic growth, doesn't hire many experienced traders(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company

Apr 24, 2021 - Data Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

very good , reasonable, benefit are good

Cons

poor management , no stress free lunch

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Sep 29, 2020 - Data Centre Technician in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent package and great salary Brilliant employees

Cons

None that i can think off

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A year at Optiver London

Jan 30, 2020 - Corporate Training Program - Merchandising in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, strive for greatness

Cons

High pressure environment, not for everyone

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Incredibly passionate environment. The smartest people in the world converge in Amsterdam

Jan 23, 2013 - Derivatives Trader
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Very strong work ethic -Hire and fire policy. Only the best survive -Best Equity Derivatives Trading company -Excellent coaching and mentoring -WIll work with the No 1 boys in the business -Never a dull day at work

Cons

- Working in offices outside of Amsterdam is a bit like working in a Frat house. Chicago and Australian offices are very territorial/clannish - Job growth is restricted to the business of derivatives. - Very strict non-compete.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Junior Trader

Oct 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good atmosphere, lovely employees, no hierarchy in idea implementation

Cons

There is not really a negative point, it just depends on the person?

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

software developer

May 31, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment, A well balanced lifestyle, The working place is located in Amsterdam

Cons

The responding efficiency is not quick.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good company to work for.

Feb 20, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good employer, good conditions. Great work environment. Steep learning curve. Lot of flexibility. A lot of young people.

Cons

A lot of young people.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Optiver - Great Company

Aug 1, 2021 - Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flat structure, collaborative, high performance culture. Everyone willing to help each other. Highest remuneration in the market. Great company.

Cons

None come to my mind.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Trading Firm

Jul 16, 2021 - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

People here are smart, friendly and helpful. Job is engaging and there is a culture where ideas are respected even if they come from someone new.

Cons

Long hours as typical of the industry (50+ hrs for traders), but generally WLB on the better side for trading firms (25 PTO, etc). Can be competitive as everyone is pretty good and the firm is not afraid to cut you if you don't perform.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

People are great and do an incredible job. Compensation is quite high, but the pressure is even higher.

Jul 17, 2021 - Software Engineer in Amsterdam
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll be working with intelligent, motivated people. All my colleagues, including my manager, were very interesting people to talk to, inside and outside a work environment. I liked each of my colleagues on a personal level. You'll learn a ton about finance and trading, and get to see how a modern trading desk operates (their technology is quite cool). There is a culture of excellence, and you can see systems being built by the minute. The productivity is extremely high. I spent 3+ years there and if I could go back in time I'd do it all over again . I'm certain I will never work in such a vibrant environment again.

Cons

While Optiver promotes "be your own entrepreneur", the reality is quite different. Whenever I tried to be entrepreneurial, I was called out on the quality of my ideas. On the rare occasions that my ideas weren't straight up shutdown, I was told I needed to work on other things instead. Then sure enough when yearly reviews came around, I was told I wasn't entrepreneurial enough. Even more frustrating: on two separate occasions my ideas were shutdown and a few months later announced as someone else's idea and scheduled for later implementation. We have developers as project managers. While I don't think that's a bad idea, I think they need to commit to managing projects instead of doing both management and development. Some of them take all high visibility tasks for themselves and push the boring/risky stuff on other developers. Everyone sees this, but everyone's afraid to call it out because the guy taking on the interesting tasks is also the one writing their evaluations. Even when there's nothing urgent, team leads tend to increase the sense of urgency of their teams' projects because that gives them visibility. This often makes pressure artificially high. Traders have much higher compensations than developers, which is frustrating. After 3 years as a developer and a promotion, my bonus was half (yes, half) the one of a second year trader fresh out of university. The highly political environment made me feel like I was never "liked" and was supposed to simply support and agree with those in the "in crowd".

1 person found this review helpful