Optiver Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Optiver Interview Questions

Interviews at Optiver

3.4

Digital Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Three interviews: one on HackenRank, one with HR, and one with the engineering team. All questions typical of a digital design interivew. All high level questions, no specific questions in VHDL or verilog.

Quant Trader Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2020.

Interview

First phase: screener, 80 mental math questions in 8? minutes. I only got to 62, followed by sequences and other logic questions and a simulation at the end.

Second phase: behavioral, very easy. I thought I bombed it but got through

Third phase: 3 45-minute games simulating betting. Nothing like what you read in QF interview books. Very difficult.

Very difficult, but they were very accommodating and the questions were interesting.

Interview Questions

• Q: How to distribute money on various things you can bet on (coins, tournament brackets, etc.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They gave me a HackerRank for the first round. It was 3 days long and reasonably hard. Took me about 10 hours in total to finish and I tested a bunch of edge cases and passed 100% of all their cases as well. I was pretty proud of myself for my performance but a week later, I was rejected. Honestly, there's a slight chance they did not like my coding style but I think more likely they just stopped hiring and had me spend 10 hours on a coding challenge that did not matter because even getting it all right and testing for all kinds of edge cases did not lead to at least a phone screening. I feel like they wasted an entire day of my time and it feels insulting.

SWE Intern Interview

Interview

First they send hacker rank and then you answer two coding questions, then in person, and then on site, and then you would get the offer. fairly straight forward process

Trading Intern Interview

Interview

Online test, 80 mental math questions in 8 minutes, all addition or multiplication or division or fractions, followed by some amc style problem solving focused around arithmetic and sequence patterns, followed by some betting questions and conditional probability calculations

Senior Windows Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

They had a four question online exam. 2 sql and 2 python questions. Being that they wanted someone with PowerShell experience I found the questions useless. They weren’t hard. During the three hour interview the director shouted me down for answering a question differently than he saw it. Didn’t get an offer but wouldn’t have accepted it if I had. Rudeness is unacceptable behavior to an interviewee.

Windows Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Interview process felt unfair. That's because I applied for a Windows Engineer role and nowhere in the job description did it say I needed to know how to code. But they give you this HackerRank challenge with 2 SQL and 2 Python questions. I was very clear in my interview with HR that I do not code in Python as I am still a beginner and I can write basic scripts, to which they said "oh you don't have to code". I don't think they know how their own tests work, they expect you to code and provide them a solution that passes any and all test cases. I still took a dig at this challenge and I completed 2 out of 4 questions. The next 2 which were in Python I did not do so well on because I don't have much coding experience in Python which they completely overlooked and told me I am not eligible for this position. If you were truly looking for scripting skills why don't you first understand the strengths of your candidates before giving them a generic coding challenge that's not even applicable for the role you're hiring for. I believe I'd have been easily able to get to the next rounds if the tests were in PowerShell because that's what I've done before and that's a skillset I have. But there was no option for PowerShell although it's a Windows Engineer position. Needless to say, I hope they fix this broken process because at the end of the day, it's Optiver that's missing out on good candidates.

Interview Questions

• 2 SQL challenges
      2 Python challenges   1 Answer

Trading Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Hackerrank with mental math questions, some basic probability questions and general math puzzles, as well as a betting scenario at the end. Was not too difficult.

Then another round of a behavioral phone interview, as well as some on site interview after that.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   1 Answer

Quantitative Trader - Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

A weird online assessment that consisted of timed mental arithmetic and lots of logical puzzles. Felt more like an IQ test than testing any of my skills. The time limit was the biggest issue, I got a rejection shortly after completing it.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Not too bad the online math test was doable, and so was the behavioral. I would suggest just being able to work under pressure and if you can't do that, then practice till you can.

Interview Questions

• Standard mental multiplication some basic ap stat level probability   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.