PagerDuty Reviews

Updated 23 Jul 2020

4.5
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least(in 21 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company scales(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 12 reviews)

1. "Company going places!"

Current Employee - Order Management Specialist in London, England

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Constant change as the company is expanding brings new opportunities to learn new things. Great team spirit and culture. Opinions are valued.

Cons

Adjusting traditional working style as company is global, so re-align job behaviours.

"Stay away in EMEA"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

Good product Decent benefits Good name on your CV

Cons

There is no real structure In the processes. The company favours Major and Enterprise Reps over Commercial Reps. The opportunity in EMEA is not realistic and set up for success for SMB and Commercial. Disjointed on accounts. Constant changes on strategy. Limited assistance in lead management. Expectations are high with little help in lead assistance.

"No"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and commissions are fantastic.

Cons

Opportunity in EMEA is not aligned with targets or opportunity.

"Great Software Company"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

Great Atmosphere Nice central London offices Great onboarding Good perks (Insurance, computer,...)

Cons

A lot of the team is still in the US but they try to communicate as much as possible during the limited time.

"A great place to work, excellent team and fantastic vibe"

Current Employee - Solution Consultant Manager in London, England

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent industry leading product, great teams across the company with everyone happy to help.

Cons

Everything associated with a fast growing company, but that's a big part of the fun

6. "One of the best companies I have worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team and leadership. The management genuinely takes the time to get feedback from employees and improve. The company culture is pretty awesome and there are a lot of opportunities to work on interesting engineering problems. Good Work Life Balance.

Cons

Growing competition, especially from big players. PagerDuty has a lot of work ahead of it to come out on top.

PagerDuty Response

July 23, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We love hearing that you're enjoying the culture we have here at PagerDuty. Doing epic things means encouraging our teams to take risks and bring new ideas to the table as often as possible. Thanks for all you do to build and deliver the best products for our customers. Keep thriving! If there's any way we can support. Please reach out to a member of our People Team.

"Excellent Company, Growth and Execution Challenges"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Superb compensation plan - Product is industry leading - Customers want to learn about and buy the product; lots of inbound interest - Excellent marketing function; helps drive pipeline - Opportunity to grow professionally; promotion or transfer into new roles - Fantastic diversity and inclusion; no one ever feels left out - Learn from some of the industries best DevOps people - Really awesome perks like free lunches, ESPP, and wellness programs - A place where you can really come into your own as a software sales professional

Cons

- Below average sales operations; takes way too long to send/edit quotes to a customer - Lack of enablement and coaching; not a lot of feedback or direction on where to improve so you consistently feel stuck - Lack of execution and alignment; probably the biggest con. The sales org hops from one thing to the next without actually executing on anything; makes it more difficult than it should be to be successful - Could be a more encouraging environment, quite negative at times

"Potential(ly) at risk"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most PD employees are super nice and in general the company has tons of emotional intelligence. Lots of support for underrepresented groups, especially through employee resource groups. Good diversity stats compared to the industry and region (board and execs included). Managers go on-call too, not just line level workers. Work/life balance was quite reasonable, although it depends significantly on the team. Ask lots of questions about the on-call load for the specific team you're considering joining.

Cons

Strong tendency to cargo cult technical decisions and appeal to authority in discussions, probably exacerbated by.. Cultural fear of being wrong, caused by a small group in engineering who treat every interaction as a battle to be won. It wasn't uncommon for people to express fear of asking questions in certain channels out of fear one of these people (or their emulators) making them feel stupid. The engineering department probably wastes half its budget redoing work to use increasingly niche technologies as top engineers' interests meander. Most valuable stuff is owned by a team and a rotation, so if you're not a manager or lead, opportunities for individual ownership can be limited, which can make career growth challenging beyond early career.

Continue reading
  9. "Most emotionally mature company I've ever worked at - not a single big ego"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture! Coming from startup and unicorn land, it's very refreshing to be at a company that values good communication and teamwork over "rockstars" and cowboy coders. I've not encountered a single big ego here - instead, everyone is always willing to answer questions patiently and without judgement. This is also the most trustworthy leadership I've ever worked under - I feel taken care of as an employee and I trust that they're taking us in a good direction. This is also the most diverse group I've ever worked with - especially with the outstanding (for tech) female:male ratio in engineering. They also seem to be all about promoting from within - so there is a lot of opportunity for career growth here for engineers.

Cons

Sometimes processes can be better documented, but I think that's just part of being a quickly growing company. Management are great people - but I've noticed they're stretched a little thin sometimes.

PagerDuty Response

June 5, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We love hearing that you're enjoying the wonderful culture we have here at PagerDuty! Our culture is so important to us and ultimately is what makes working at PagerDuty so unique. In this period of hyper-growth, we are committed to ensuring that Dutonians across all levels feel empowered to take ownership of their work so they can see themselves, their teams, and PagerDuty be as successful as possible. If you'd like to chat more, please reach out to a member of our People Team.

10. "Great Company that really cares about its people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

Great culture, takes care of employees, as transparent as can be for a company of its size.

Cons

Decision making can sometimes take a long time and be a tad bureaucratic.

Found 176 reviews