Progress Reviews

Found 529 of over 580 reviews

4.1
Progress CEO Yogesh Gupta
Yogesh Gupta
Pros
  • "Good work life balance (depends)(in 72 reviews)

• "Professional work environment with lots of flexibilities(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Recent changes disconnected senior management from employees(in 13 reviews)

• "Lay-offs were a regular occurrence and took its toll on morale, but most importantly the ability of a department to produce its best(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

A company that truly cares

Aug 11, 2021 - Marketing Communications Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Progress feels like a big family. Starting from my first day, I felt taken care of. Everyone is friendly and passionate about what they do, which to me is very inspiring and motivating. At Progress everyone's opinion is valued and teamwork is at the core of what we do. The company is all about improvement, innovation and collaboration and that shines through in the way we work. Progress feels like a big school, where there are multiple opportunities for development and where there's something exciting happening every day.

Cons

As the company has offices around the world, it is hard too coordinate meeting times, which are comfortable for everyone. Oftentimes I'll need to stay late to attend these meetings, which is not ideal but I do understand that everyone is doing their best to accommodate the needs of the group and at the end of the day the work needs to be done. Another downside I see is that the opportunities for development in some teams are not that many as in others and sometimes you may feel you're stuck in one place. The company is doing all it can to prevent this, but the situation is dependent on the current business needs.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to be

Dec 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive The company cares about it's employees A good benefits package Flexibility They encourage personal development

Cons

Progress aren't massively well known

2 people found this review helpful

Former Employee, more than 5 years

n/a

Feb 4, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great UK office culture and comission

Cons

Line Managers are not great

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A company to recommend to people you don't like

Feb 9, 2021 - Software Development Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Watching the total collapse and mismanagement surrounding the acquisition - Having no communication during my last 4 weeks at the company

Cons

- Total lack of empathy from leadership around redundancies for those who were made redundant and those who were left to pick up the pieces - Embarrassing handling of reorganisation following layoffs and resignations - Explicitly no job security guaranteed for those who were not made redundant, outsourcing to India seems to be Progress's entire business model - Making jobs and people redundant when they had clear intrinsic value both to the community and company as a whole - Clearly 0 thought put into the redundancy process, may as well have drawn names from a hat - Empty promises from Day 1 of the acquisition met with deflections and "I was not involved in these decisions" from upper management when queried on them - An attempt to persuade me to stay with a laughable stocks package but no compensation or empathy for the actual step up I would have needed to make to cover for the people who were let go - Tore apart many brilliant teams and wiped out an entire engineering office because of their incompetent handling of the acquisition - Receiving no thanks or farewell from anyone in the company when departing And my favourite... - Being asked by my new manager if now was a good time to hire in the market the week after laying off half of the office

Continue reading
      4 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company!

Jan 14, 2021 - Senior Executive Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Progress for over 9 years. 2020 has been a challenging year but Progress has taken such great care to support is employees and their families throughout 2020 and into 2021. Work/life balance is good and employee recognition takes place throughout the organization. I have been promoted whilst working here and there are opportunities to try new roles. Employees and managers use their skills in mentoring programs and personal develop is part of everyone's regular review with their manager.

Cons

I can't think of anything

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work and grow with

Dec 23, 2020 - Regional Sales Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work / life balance Clear GTM strategy and how we each contribute Employee recognition Pay is fair and in line with market expectations Personal development planning Remote working model Social / team engagement and activities (especially throughout Covid)

Cons

Employee benefits heavily leaning towards Bulgaria office and lacking elsewhere.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

How much does a Glassdoor review cost?

Dec 18, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learn how not to run a software company

Cons

There's been an influx of 5 star reviews to combat the large number of negative reviews following Progress's failure of an aquistion of Chef. How much does Progress pay these shills for false reviews. How pathetic of a company to force reviews to be hidden and have fake reviews written. Is Yogesh's skin really that thin? The corporate responses to negative reviews are delusional. It's hard to ignore the facts when an entire UK office resigned with in the span of 3 months. So many engineering losses that it's unlikely products can continue with any form of quality. Progress made every wrong move during the aquistion including refusing to admit their mistakes and correct them. If you're a prospective hire, consider if these actions reflect a company you'd like to work for. If you're an existing employee think about why you're sticking around, there are few companies as bad as Progress.

Continue reading
      7 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Progress

Acquisitions are a time when emotions run high, and we understand that. As listed in the Terms of Use, you must have a valid account on Glassdoor to post and the site does not permit any reviews to be hidden; what you see is all there is. Far from orchestrated, when Progress employees give the company positive reviews, it’s because they genuinely enjoy working here. We have a strong reputation built over 40 years, and many employees are proud to be a part of such a diverse global employee base working together to achieve common goals, whether that’s at work or in the many communities in which we live and serve. We strive to provide a positive work environment that respects the contributions and professionalism employees display every day. This is why it was so important to give each impacted employee a competitive severance package and support to help them get on their feet as quickly as possible.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Watch their actions, results and the outcomes

Nov 11, 2020 - Support Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful smiles and empty promises

Cons

Leading up to the acquisition, communication was positive and promises of future investments and community support were given. Once acquisition completed, the hammer fell and redundancies had started. Those with immediate termination and a package could count themselves as lucky. Massive attrition and lack of direction followed. If progress ever considers acquiring your company, run for the hills and start looking for a different job!

12 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Progress

Progress is always positive about acquisitions we make because we see bright potential ahead by joining forces. This is absolutely the case with Chef, which has a successful business model and roadmap that we will be accelerating by bringing more resources to the company than it had before. Progress also has a strong history of nurturing developer communities and will bring this track record to Chef to ensure the Chef community continues to thrive. In acquiring Chef, we’ve made a commitment to do what’s best in the long-term interest of the company, its customers, and a now broader universe of employees. And it is hard to let employees go, especially those who have been dedicated to the company’s mission. So we’ve treated each with professionalism, beginning with a competitive severance package, which we’ve paired with support services, like life coaching and outplacement services, to help workers find their next opportunity as quickly as possible and be supported throughout.

10. 1.0

The many became the few

Nov 10, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun to watch the merry go round that is the org chart.

Cons

A company that boasts a portfolio of outdated and irrelevant tools/technologies. Progress' business model is to buy successful technology companies, strip them and indescriminately remove all value by making key individuals/teams redundant, so their positions can be off-shored. This should be accepted with a smile and a yes-sir, while training your replacement. Anyone with a bit of sense and aspiration for their immediate career has rightfully hit eject and left the sinking ship. And this is how the Many became the few. In summary: Progress, a company, who's key strategy to stay relevant is to buy other companies, can't even get that right.

13 people found this review helpful

Vice President, Progress

Progress is a global company serving industry leaders in every business sector and are proud to employ bright minds from many cultures. These minds are already working together with existing Chef talent to accelerate the company roadmap. Far from stripping the companies we acquire, we always bring our four decades of experience to companies that can benefit from our deep pool of seasoned leaders. We then merge them with existing Chef leaders precisely because we value the depth of knowledge they bring. Customer feedback to date has been very positive because they know Chef is joining a quality organization with proven track record of being customer focused. These additional resources will only build on the momentum Chef has established to date.

11. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Progress does not care about its employees

Oct 14, 2020 - Senior Software Development Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can not think of any

Cons

Progress acquired our company and completely replaced the diverse leadership team with an all-male team. This a week after promoting their diversity and inclusion. They made roughly half of engineering redundant at a company where its greatest asset is its people- and shipped the jobs out to India. The day after announcing the redundancies (some of these people had worked here over a decade!) the CEO and leadership hosted a tone-deaf global onboarding with smiles on their faces to welcome us into Progress. All this for what? A company whose growth over the last decade can't keep up with inflation? To maintain a measly 1.7% dividend yield? Look at their history. This company creates nothing noteworthy or known in the engineering space. Engineers who live in the same town as Progress HQ have never heard of the company. This company represents all the dark parts of tech: endlessly firing and outsourcing, chasing a bottom line over valuing people, endless acquisitions... and it has none of the bright parts. No exciting products or projects. As an engineer, unless you live in India, you have to ask yourself: why on earth would you ever voluntarily want to work here?

21 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

We understand you might have this impression, but Progress has a strong history, nearly 40 years, of being a company that respects its employees, their families, our customers and the global communities in which we live and serve. And while it's true that we couldn’t keep every employee as we move forward, we do hope that the people impacted are able to make good use of the competitive severance, support services and outplacement services provided.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 529 Reviews